Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like The 13th Annual Holiday Challenge (11/18-1/1)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like The 13th Annual Holiday Challenge (11/18-1/1)

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-17, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like The 13th Annual Holiday Challenge (11/18-1/1)

Originally Posted by Gobear
How awful! My sympathies to her loved ones.
Thank you, Gobear.
Old 11-25-17, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like The 13th Annual Holiday Challenge (11/18-1/1)

One nice thing about this Challenge is so many genres are represented. Just about any kind of movie or TV show can have holiday episodes or in the case of movies, take place during the holiday. I found out from browsing the WWE Network that there are even Christmas episodes of wrestling shows. I'm watching a Christmas episode of Raw right now.
Old 11-25-17, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 422 Likes on 305 Posts

There are plenty of episodes of Raw and Smackdown that aired on Thanksgiving, Christmas or Christmas Eve. I remember those episodes from the attitude era were a lot of fun.
Old 11-25-17, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

After one week of the challenge I am watching my 10th Hallmark movie. Of the ones I have never seen. The Christmas Song with Natasha Henstridge must have been made at the time Glee was popular, its idea felt like it was made because of it. Now I'm on The Christmas Ornament with Kellie Martin, I haven't quite figured out the story yet except She owns a Bike shop and seems afraid of Christmas trees.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 11-25-17 at 07:30 PM.
Old 11-26-17, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Two of my cousins are visiting this weekend so I took advantage and had them help me with our tree. While we were working on it, I discovered one of my cousins loves Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas as much as I do. She was complaining that you couldn't find it on Netflix or anywhere streaming and watching it on TV means watching it with commercials and waiting for it to be on. (This is why I own a physical copy of movies, while I appreciate streaming for the convenience, when you really want to see something, it can be impossible to find online!)

I told her I owned a copy so went to get it. When I did, I remembered I still had my DVD copy from when I upgraded to Blu (plus, I still had a DVD copy b/c it was included in a Christmas set...yeah, I had three copies of Grinch at one point). So I made her day by gifting her the DVD copy so now she can watch on her own. She was pretty happy about it!

We also bonded over our hatred of the Jim Carey version. *shudders* I may disown my other cousin as she loves that version! lol!
Old 11-26-17, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I’ll always love the 60s cartoon, i’ll Never understand how the movie is beloved all these years later. It’s aged horribly.
Old 11-26-17, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
I’ll always love the 60s cartoon, i’ll Never understand how the movie is beloved all these years later. It’s aged horribly.
YES! I watched the movie last year? The year before? just because people were saying how much they loved it on the chance it had aged well or would grow on me, and nope, it sucked. Sorry Jim Carey lovers, but he did not do the Grinch justice!
Old 11-26-17, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by LJG765
YES! I watched the movie last year? The year before? just because people were saying how much they loved it on the chance it had aged well or would grow on me, and nope, it sucked. Sorry Jim Carey lovers, but he did not do the Grinch justice!
In spite of not much caring for Jim Carey, I broke down and purchased a copy of that one at some point (probably because it was very cheap) and then broke down and watched it last year sometime (not sure when or why). It wasn't as bad as I was expecting and surprised me by being somewhat entertaining although it twists the story significantly. In spite of that I didn't like it enough to make it a regular viewing item but if someone else asks I won't try to dissuade them.

I just ordered a copy of Scrooge (1935). I don't think I've ever seen that version before. The Legend BR is on sale at BB ($6.99 w/free shipping), has both the restored BW and a colorized version plus the Jimmy Durante film The Great Rupert (aka A Christmas Wish) (1950) on DVD. I'm not a huge fan of The Great Rupert but if they want to give me a better copy than what I have on several PD discs I'll take it. Supposedly the version of Scrooge is a edited version, missing ~19 minutes, but as I've never seen it I don't know that I care yet...
Old 11-26-17, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
In spite of not much caring for Jim Carey, I broke down and purchased a copy of that one at some point (probably because it was very cheap) and then broke down and watched it last year sometime (not sure when or why). It wasn't as bad as I was expecting and surprised me by being somewhat entertaining although it twists the story significantly. In spite of that I didn't like it enough to make it a regular viewing item but if someone else asks I won't try to dissuade them.
In fairness, I vaguely remember thinking when watching it, that it was slightly better than I remembered, but overall, it didn't impress me. It makes sense that they'd add a ton of story line into the movie since it is based on a children's picture book, but it's just too over to the top, away from the heart of the story for my tastes!
Old 11-26-17, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In fairness, I vaguely remember thinking when watching it, that it was slightly better than I remembered, but overall, it didn't impress me. It makes sense that they'd add a ton of story line into the movie since it is based on a children's picture book, but it's just too over to the top, away from the heart of the story for my tastes!
Yep. When that vortex opened in the floor (? ceiling? somewhere in any case) I pretty much tuned out the rest. I recall it being not so bad up until that point.
Old 11-27-17, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thoughts from my last few days of viewing. I didn't get any movies yesterday, I shouldn't have wasted my time watching the Chiefs lose to Bills at home. I got in all of the Two and a Half Men Christmas episodes late last night. The first one from Season 3 when Alan dates that Crazy chick who does nothing but cook and makes him and Charlie fat is solid and a very funny episode. The Season 12 episode is embarrassing with Alan and Walden married and they have an adopted son was awful and not funny.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 11-27-17 at 11:16 PM.
Old 11-27-17, 03:53 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

My favorite thing about Christmas movies is how no one in Hollywood seems capable of saying no to a Christmas script, no matter how awful it is. These random sightings make even the worst movie at least a bit more fun. So much so, that on my 8th first time watch movie of the season, I felt compelled to add these random "celebrity" sightings to my official list. Will this be a double Ed Asner holiday? Triple Dean Cain? Quadruple Tori Spelling? I may be weird, but this is like the highlight of the season for me.
Old 11-27-17, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PCBreakdown
My favorite thing about Christmas movies is how no one in Hollywood seems capable of saying no to a Christmas script, no matter how awful it is. These random sightings make even the worst movie at least a bit more fun. So much so, that on my 8th first time watch movie of the season, I felt compelled to add these random "celebrity" sightings to my official list. Will this be a double Ed Asner holiday? Triple Dean Cain? Quadruple Tori Spelling? I may be weird, but this is like the highlight of the season for me.
I enjoy these sightings as well! I just saw an ad for one with Carrie Fisher and she makes a Star Wars joke. The ad was from last year, but I am hoping Hallmark will re-air it this year.
Old 11-27-17, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I enjoy these sightings as well! I just saw an ad for one with Carrie Fisher and she makes a Star Wars joke. The ad was from last year, but I am hoping Hallmark will re-air it this year.
It’s Christmas, Carol is the movie I don’t know why it wouldn’t get re aired, especially as we get closer to episode 8 in theaters.
Old 11-28-17, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I plan to stay up all night watching TV tonight, as I often do when I have a doctor appointment the next morning, seeing as I don’t drive. I thought I’d get some holiday viewing in. Right now I’m watching the short cartoon, ‘Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer’, from a collection of Christmas cartoons, on Amazon Prime.
Old 11-28-17, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It’s Christmas, Carol is the movie I don’t know why it wouldn’t get re aired, especially as we get closer to episode 8 in theaters.
Thanks for letting me know! I did just try to look for it, but no luck at the moment, but the guide only goes 2 weeks, so hopefully closer to Christmas, it'll pop up on Hallmark again.
Old 11-28-17, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm thankful Arnold Schwarzenegger never made another Christmas movie. Jingle All the way proves he should stick to action movies, even in his old age. All viewings of the movie should include the Nostalgia Critic's review.
Old 11-28-17, 01:42 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

I love them all, but most of these Hallmark/etc films are fairly generic. It's Christmas, Carol, iirc, stands out as one of the better ones. Pretty sure I recorded it off my DVR back in the day, but that stack of DVDRs remains mia.
Old 11-29-17, 01:15 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

I just got the new Misery bluray and I know it doesn't qualify, so I'm going to wild card it. I remember going to see it in December when it first came out, so I always associate it with the holiday season.
Old 11-29-17, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I will never understand why people say that the Grinch has "aged horribly". In what way has it aged? The makeup still looks great and there's nothing to date the movie with other than that. I love the movie, aside from Molly Shannon who I can't stand, I still enjoy the movie even almost 20 years later.
Old 11-29-17, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor
I love them all, but most of these Hallmark/etc films are fairly generic.
I once made the mistake of saying something similar to my wife - that they are essentially all the same film with only location, character names, actors, and minor plot points being different. Just enough changed so most people don't notice... She didn't appreciate that observation (she watches that channel much of the time).
Old 11-29-17, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep. When that vortex opened in the floor (? ceiling? somewhere in any case) I pretty much tuned out the rest. I recall it being not so bad up until that point.
OK... I just realized that you guys were talking about the Ron Howard live action version of How the Grinch Stole Christmas. When I saw Jim Carey I immediately connected to A Christmas Carol (2009) and made that association, reading that title when you guys were saying "Grinch."

I don't know that I've ever seen Howard's "Grinch" and don't know that I want, or need, to see the film. I'm quite happy with the 1966 animated original.
Old 11-29-17, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

OK... I just realized that you guys were talking about the Ron Howard live action version of How the Grinch Stole Christmas. When I saw Jim Carey I immediately connected to A Christmas Carol (2009) and made that association, reading that title when you guys were saying "Grinch."

I don't know that I've ever seen Howard's "Grinch" and don't know that I want, or need, to see the film. I'm quite happy with the 1966 animated original.
Yeah, they seemed to get conflated in that conversation. I think the animated Christmas Carol is pretty solid even for a non-Carrey fan.
Old 11-29-17, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Monkees
I will never understand why people say that the Grinch has "aged horribly". In what way has it aged? The makeup still looks great and there's nothing to date the movie with other than that. I love the movie, aside from Molly Shannon who I can't stand, I still enjoy the movie even almost 20 years later.
I wouldn't say that it "aged horribly;" more like it was never any good to begin with.
Old 11-29-17, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
I love them all, but most of these Hallmark/etc films are fairly generic. It's Christmas, Carol, iirc, stands out as one of the better ones. Pretty sure I recorded it off my DVR back in the day, but that stack of DVDRs remains mia.
My DVR only goes out 2 weeks for taping, hoping once the 1st hits, I can see it to tape. Has Hallmark released their Christmas viewing schedule anywhere?

I once made the mistake of saying something similar to my wife - that they are essentially all the same film with only location, character names, actors, and minor plot points being different. Just enough changed so most people don't notice... She didn't appreciate that observation (she watches that channel much of the time).
I love these Hallmark Christmas movies but I would totally agree with you! For some reason I enjoy a good, cheesy, formula filled Christmas movie. Never watch the channel any other time, though!

Originally Posted by davidh777
Yeah, they seemed to get conflated in that conversation. I think the animated Christmas Carol is pretty solid even for a non-Carrey fan.
I would agree with this. It is not my favorite version of A Christmas Carol but it's not near as bad as I thought it would be. I only own it because I got it through the DMR program. I have only watched it once so far, but where I thought I'd hate Jim Carey in it, he wasn't too bad as Scrooge.

Yesterday our power went out for most of the day. It was scheduled for the afternoon for four hours, I was at work for that section of it, but got home and about an hour after I did, I heard a huge "boom!" Something went wrong and we lost power from about 5 pm to 10:30 pm. I had hoped to get at least one movie in, but that was a no-go. I did squeeze in the Pentatonix Christmas special from this year. I like their singing so was excited to watch it.

Turned out to be about 5 songs and the rest of it was them trying to act during "skits" in between the songs. It just wasn't that enjoyable. Liked their one last year much better.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.