DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 12-06-17, 11:41 PM   #151
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like The 13th Annual Holiday Challenge (11/18-1/1)

I'm always looking for new stuff to watch, Doug Walker aka The Nostalgia Critic has found another equally terrible Christmas movie/special called Rapsittie Street Kids: Believe in Santa. I looked and the full movie is on youtube, I'll be watching it soon.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 12-07-17 at 12:46 AM.
Old 12-07-17, 03:18 AM   #152

Re: It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like The 13th Annual Holiday Challenge (11/18-1/1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobear View Post
If you want to laugh for for an hour, check out this Christmas panto from the folks behind The Play That Goes Wrong
Thanks for posting that. I just watched it and it was really funny.
Old 12-07-17, 11:30 PM   #153
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Even the History Channel series, Dogfights has an episode that counts for this Challenge. I just finished the ‘Death Of The Luftwaffe’ episode, about a German air offensive that was launched on New Year’s Day.
Old 12-08-17, 02:02 PM   #154

Saw Better Watch Out and I really enjoyed it. I would advise not watching the trailer or reading about it before viewing.
Old 12-08-17, 03:03 PM   #155
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I really enjoy the holiday cooking shows. I just finished an episode of Good Eats, on the Cooking Channel, where Alton made a delicious looking fruitcake. Store bought cakes may not be any good, but trust me when I say a good homemade fruitcake can be delicious.
Old 12-08-17, 04:14 PM   #156
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadokitty View Post
I really enjoy the holiday cooking shows. I just finished an episode of Good Eats, on the Cooking Channel, where Alton made a delicious looking fruitcake. Store bought cakes may not be any good, but trust me when I say a good homemade fruitcake can be delicious.
Grocery store fruitcakes aren't good, but the fruitcakes from the Gethsemani Abbey in Kentucky are awesome--thick, dark, rich, soaked in bourbon and stuffed with candied fruit and nuts.
Old 12-08-17, 04:36 PM   #157
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Grocery store fruitcakes aren't good, but the fruitcakes from the Gethsemani Abbey in Kentucky are awesome--thick, dark, rich, soaked in bourbon and stuffed with candied fruit and nuts.
That made my mouth water, just reading about it.
Old 12-08-17, 05:30 PM   #158
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
That made my mouth water, just reading about it.
They are incredibly delicious. I order one every year to savor between Christmas and New Year's Eve.
Old 12-08-17, 10:45 PM   #159
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Quote:
I actually like the Claxton brand of fruitcake. It's dense and flavorful with lots of candied fruit and nuts (no bourbon/alcohol - but that's OK by me as I very much dislike bourbon - rum or brandy is another story )

As good as those Claxton cakes are they're still not as good as a really good home-made fruitcake, although they're far superior to most of the home-made ones I've had in the past.
Old 12-08-17, 11:41 PM   #160
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Not a fan of fruitcake myself, but my mom makes a good one. People request hers specially and get excited when they get them. Still don't understand why! (She makes hers from scratch, lots of rum).

If you haven't watched the Holiday Baking Championship, shadokitty, you should give it a shot. They do them every season and I like the judges. They're critical without being mean. There is also a American version of the The Great British Baking Show that aired this week that had a holiday theme. One of the judges from the original (Paul) was a judge on it as well. I still prefer the original version hosts but it's not bad so far.
July Sci-fi/Fantasy 2017; Aug. Animation 2017; Sept. Criterion 2017; Oct. Horror 2012; Nov. Comedy 2017; Holiday 2017; Jan. TV on DVD* 2017; Feb. Academy Awards 2017; Feb. Quadrennial Leap Day 2016; Mar. Action/Adv/Crime/Mystery 2017; May MYOC 2017; June Historical Appreciation 2014
Old 12-09-17, 01:16 AM   #161
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For those of you that are Hallmark movie fans, I watched "Christmas in Evergreen" tonight and really enjoyed it. It's a new one this year. I also am watching "The Christmas Train," which is also new this year. I'm not quite finished with it but it's good so far.

Neither are really ground breaking, but fun watches.
July Sci-fi/Fantasy 2017; Aug. Animation 2017; Sept. Criterion 2017; Oct. Horror 2012; Nov. Comedy 2017; Holiday 2017; Jan. TV on DVD* 2017; Feb. Academy Awards 2017; Feb. Quadrennial Leap Day 2016; Mar. Action/Adv/Crime/Mystery 2017; May MYOC 2017; June Historical Appreciation 2014
Old 12-09-17, 01:44 AM   #162
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJG765 View Post
Not a fan of fruitcake myself, but my mom makes a good one. People request hers specially and get excited when they get them. Still don't understand why! (She makes hers from scratch, lots of rum).
My mom used to make fruitcakes every Christmas (she soaked hers with homemade wine). People really liked them, but I was never a fan. Then one year, she had some left over cake batter and decided to make cookies out of it. Man, those were good. After that I would usually try to get her to make fruitcake cookies if I was around when she was making fruitcakes.

TV: '16|Academy Award: '16|Action: '17|Drive-in: '17|MYOC: '17|Historical: '17|Sci-Fi/Fantasy: '17|Animation: '17|Criterion: '15|Horror: '17|Comedy: '16|Holiday: '16
Old 12-09-17, 04:01 PM   #163
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I’m finding a ton of obscure tv specials on YouTube today. All of the rankin/bass specials, I watched Frosty, Rudolph, and Little Drummer Boy today. I’m on the Carpenters Christmas special right now. It was before my time as it was made in the 70s. It’s feels like a time capsule of a bygone era.
Old 12-09-17, 04:08 PM   #164
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
I’m finding a ton of obscure tv specials on YouTube today. All of the rankin/bass specials, I watched Frosty, Rudolph, and Little Drummer Boy today. I’m on the Carpenters Christmas special right now. It was before my time as it was made in the 70s. It’s feels like a time capsule of a bygone era.
Rudolph and Frosty are also on CBS tonight.
Old 12-09-17, 10:17 PM   #165
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I decided today was the day to get a bit more serious about the challenge and went full-tilt Christmas films about noon.

I took a short break to sing in my Church's "Living Christmas Tree" production (2nd day - I sang the solo on "Mary Did You Know" tonight - our last performance is tomorrow night). That's always lots of fun!

I just got home a half-hour or so ago and plugged in Disney's "A Christmas Carol" (2009). I'm curious to see if I react to some of the oddness they introduced in this production in the same way as when I first saw it... I recall liking it quite a bit until the 3rd ghost sequence.
Old 12-09-17, 10:42 PM   #166

Quote:
For those of you that are Hallmark movie fans, I watched "Christmas in Evergreen" tonight and really enjoyed it. It's a new one this year. I also am watching "The Christmas Train," which is also new this year. I'm not quite finished with it but it's good so far.

Neither are really ground breaking, but fun watches.
Thanks. I've been watching a lot of Hallmark this challenge. I saw "Christmas Train". I agree that it was watchable but not groundbreaking. I found the romantic leads unappealing. Need to check out "Christmas in Evergreen."

My favorite Hallmarks so far this year are "Christmas Under Wraps", "Dear Santa", "A Crown for Christmas", and "Nine Lives of Christmas" (Brandon Routh, woof).
Old 12-09-17, 10:50 PM   #167
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimension X View Post
My mom used to make fruitcakes every Christmas (she soaked hers with homemade wine). People really liked them, but I was never a fan. Then one year, she had some left over cake batter and decided to make cookies out of it. Man, those were good. After that I would usually try to get her to make fruitcake cookies if I was around when she was making fruitcakes.
Did she add anything to the cookies or just put them on a cookie sheet and bake? Thanks!
Old 12-09-17, 10:52 PM   #168
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by jholmes View Post
Thanks. I've been watching a lot of Hallmark this challenge. I saw "Christmas Train". I agree that it was watchable but not groundbreaking. I found the romantic leads unappealing. Need to check out "Christmas in Evergreen."

My favorite Hallmarks so far this year are "Christmas Under Wraps", "Dear Santa", "A Crown for Christmas", and "Nine Lives of Christmas" (Brandon Routh, woof).
I liked Crown and Nine Lives as well. Will have to check out the other two. I guess I should warn you, I recommended Evergreen to my mom and she liked it but kept on laughing at the sap. But...that's mostly what I like about Hallmark movies!
Old 12-10-17, 12:34 AM   #169
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy24LA View Post
Saw Better Watch Out and I really enjoyed it. I would advise not watching the trailer or reading about it before viewing.
I'm watching that right now!
Old 12-10-17, 04:31 AM   #170
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Most of the year, I don't pay much attention to the religious channels, but I will watch the Christmas programming on them. I just finished a moving story about the birth of Jesus on TBN, called The Christmas Experience. It really makes you think about the true meaning of Christmas.
Old 12-10-17, 11:36 AM   #171

Quote:
Did she add anything to the cookies or just put them on a cookie sheet and bake? Thanks!
I really don't know (I always assumed she just used what was left over). I'll try and remember to ask her when I see her later today, but she may not remember either (it was a long time ago).

TV: '16|Academy Award: '16|Action: '17|Drive-in: '17|MYOC: '17|Historical: '17|Sci-Fi/Fantasy: '17|Animation: '17|Criterion: '15|Horror: '17|Comedy: '16|Holiday: '16
Old 12-10-17, 02:58 PM   #172

Okay, I asked her and her first response was "That was a long time ago." Then she finally said that yes, she just put the left over fruit cake batter on a cookie sheet and baked it.

Old 12-10-17, 07:47 PM   #173
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Okay, I asked her and her first response was "That was a long time ago." Then she finally said that yes, she just put the left over fruit cake batter on a cookie sheet and baked it.
Thanks for asking! I know we're doing a batch here soon, so will definitely have to try at least a couple to see how they turn out...
Old 12-11-17, 12:16 AM   #174

Quote:
Thanks for asking! I know we're doing a batch here soon, so will definitely have to try at least a couple to see how they turn out...
Good luck. I'd like to hear how they turn out.

Old 12-11-17, 01:01 PM   #175
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Good luck. I'd like to hear how they turn out.
Me too! I think I'd really like fruitcake cookies!