Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like The 13th Annual Holiday Challenge (11/18-1/1)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like The 13th Annual Holiday Challenge (11/18-1/1)

Old 11-30-17, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like The 13th Annual Holiday Challenge (11/18-1/1)

Does anyone know of a good checklist that has all the Hallmark Christmas films besides the generic Hallmark Films page on Wiki?
Old 11-30-17, 01:55 PM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts
Re: It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like The 13th Annual Holiday Challenge (11/18-1/1)

Vudu has some Christmas movies and cartoons that are free with ads.

https://www.vudu.com/movies/#uiList/27/4
Old 11-30-17, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 414 Likes on 299 Posts

Good selection of movies, will they be active tomorrow?
Old 12-01-17, 06:30 AM

Here's a list of Disney Park TV Specials:

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...-and-freeform/

Tonight is the "Disney Parks Presents a Disney Channel Holiday Celebration" on the Disney Channel at 8:30 PM. It's also available on the Disney Now app.

December 11th at 8pm is "Disney’s Fairy Tale Weddings: Holiday Magic" on the Freeform Channel.

"Decorating Disney: Holiday Magic" is December 18th at 8pm on the Freeform Channel.

And on Chrisrmas Morning is the annual "Disney Parks Magical Christmas Celebration" on ABC.
Old 12-01-17, 01:45 PM

In case you missed it, the Wonderful World of Disney: Magical Holiday Celebration that aired last night is available on the ABC app and online.

Julianne Hough and Nick Lachey host the magical two-hour event from the Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Resort. Showcasing incredible music performances by Ciara, Darius Rucker, Fifth Harmony, Fitz and the Tantrums, Hanson, In Real Life, Jason Derulo, Lea Michele and more. With special appearances and some unforgettable Disney magic moments including an extraordinary castle lighting spectacular from Disney Parks around the world – traveling the globe from Florida and California, to Paris, Shanghai and Hong Kong.

http://abc.go.com/shows/the-wonderfu...ay-celebration

ABC App in Roku Store - https://channelstore.roku.com/details/73376/abc
Old 12-01-17, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I was interested in looking at Christmas concerts on Amazon. I discovered that quite a few are available on Amazon Prime, so that saves me from buying some. I also imagine that Get TV will air the Perry Como Christmas specials this month, like they did last year.
Old 12-03-17, 09:55 AM

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts

I've been enjoying the challenge so far. I've gotten in a fair number of Hallmark Christmas movies and theatrical releases. Bad Santa gets my award for biggest bomb so far. Gah, I hated it so hard. On the other hand, I loved Better Watch Out (2016), a Christmas horror movie that was WAY better than I anticipate. I'd give it a 9/10. I highly recommend it if you like horror.

Question: does anyone have any suggestions for the following categories?
1920's
Silent film
On or under the Sea
Takes place in space
Unrated

Some of these categories don't seem to go with "Christmas" very well. <snort>
Old 12-03-17, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor
Off topic, and maybe continue in a streaming thread for more info, but I again heartily recommend everyone starting a UV group before it's too late. Imagine six of you, with dozens or hundreds of films in your individual Vudu/UV account, being able to watch each other's films. Story, Gobear; PM each other and connect. It's free!
Hi, Trevor. What's a UV group?
Old 12-03-17, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by jholmes
Question: does anyone have any suggestions for the following categories?
1920's
Silent film
On or under the Sea
Takes place in space
Unrated

Some of these categories don't seem to go with "Christmas" very well. <snort>
I totally agree that the On/under the Sea and Takes place in Space categories do not go with Christmas! I've thought that for a while...

For the Space one, I've used "Santa Conquers the Martians" which also works for the MST3K check as well. For under the sea, there is a Spongebob Squarepants special out there that usually airs on Nick at some point.

For the 20s and silent films, check out youtube. I know there are a handful of Christmas themed cartoons that would qualify.

Hope that helps!
Old 12-03-17, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by LJG765
I totally agree that the On/under the Sea and Takes place in Space categories do not go with Christmas! I've thought that for a while...

For the Space one, I've used "Santa Conquers the Martians" which also works for the MST3K check as well. For under the sea, there is a Spongebob Squarepants special out there that usually airs on Nick at some point.

For the 20s and silent films, check out youtube. I know there are a handful of Christmas themed cartoons that would qualify.

Hope that helps!
Yes, that helps. Thanks for answering. It occurs to me there are probably Christmas movies that takes place ON the sea, like in a harbor town or something. I'll see what I can dig up. (Seeing as I'm not a Spongebob fan).

Oscar winners is also proving to be a bit of a challenge. I've run across some nominations (White Christmas for an Irving Berlin song, It's a Wonderful Life) but no winners so far.

ETA: "Christmas with Holly" (2012) involves a ferry ride, was filmed in Chester Bay Nova Scotia, and is based on the novel "Christmas Eve At Friday Harbor". So I'm guessing that one is "on the sea". If anyone else is looking for a Hallmark that qualifies. There are probably more.

ETA2: *CAN* we count Oscar nominated films? Because Carol (2015) was nominated for a bunch and has a lot of Christmas scenes.

Last edited by jholmes; 12-03-17 at 11:29 AM.
Old 12-03-17, 11:24 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by jholmes
Hi, Trevor. What's a UV group?
It's a way to share your digital movie library with others.
Old 12-03-17, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I haven't gotten a full one in yet, but I'm glad to see that the holiday cooking shows are being aired on Food Network and the Cooking Channel now. The one's I have missed I should be able to see On Demand.
Old 12-03-17, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

I haven't really started watching Christmas stuff yet, but last night I just happened to see Deadly Illusion (1987) with Billy Dee Williams, Vanity, and Morgan Fairchild (plus a short scene with Joe Spinell). It took place in New York City between Christmas and the first couple of days of the new year, with plenty of Christmas music on the soundtrack. I love stumbling onto a film that counts for a challenge during that challenge, instead of six months too late or a few months early.
Old 12-03-17, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I went to see Coco today and loved it. While the actual movie doesn't qualify (right, even though it's about the Day of the Dead, since the holiday isn't between Thanksgiving and New Year's, it doesn't count?) the short in front of it, "Olaf's Frozen Adventure" does. It's a 20 minute short, so be prepared for a bit of a longer one than usual, but it takes place during Christmas and the story line revolves around that.
Old 12-03-17, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't get to watch as much as I wanted over the weekend, but it had its highlights. I haven't seen Die Hard on the big screen in a few years, so it was a real treat doing that last night at the Alamo. A couple of movies on Ion TV and have started watching the Merry with Children christmas episodes. "Its a Bundyful Life" has both Sam Kinison in it plus, Ted Mcginley makes his first appearance on the show in Al's Dream Sequence as "Norman", Peg's Husband. I have never gotten to see the early Christmas episodes. I should be over 100 entries in the few days.
Old 12-04-17, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
I highly recommend the new movie Better Watch Out, there's a gag in it played out involving paint can trap from Home Alone and what would really happen if you got hit in the face with it.
I just watched this and loved it.
Old 12-04-17, 09:29 AM

Here are some suggestions for checklist items for future years. I know, no one asked. But they're things I'm trying to hit this year, for what its worth.

* TV Christmas movie premier (new this year on Hallmark, Lifetime, ABC, etc)
* Christmas or Thanksgiving romance
* Christmas or Thanksgiving comedy
* Christmas or Thanksgiving horror
* Christmas or Thanksgiving drama
* See a holiday movie in a theater
* Takes place at the North Pole
* Takes place in Europe or UK
* Takes place on a ranch or farm
* Takes place in New York City
* Takes place in a small town
* Oscar winner or nominee
* Emmy winner or nominee

Categories I'm finding too hard to fill this year:
* silent film
* 1920s
* takes place in space
* Oscar winner (the only movie I've found that actually won is The Apartment)
Old 12-04-17, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Need a movie from the 20's? I HIGHLY recommend THE PHANTOM CARRIAGE (1921). Takes place on New Year's Eve. The last person to die in the old year has to drive death's carriage in the coming year. Great atmospheric horror film. Hadn't heard of it until I caught it on TCM last year. Influential on Ingmar Bergman and has a sequence that inspired the "Here's Johnny" scene in THE SHINNING. There's a great edition available from Criterion.
Old 12-04-17, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Moonlight
Need a movie from the 20's? I HIGHLY recommend THE PHANTOM CARRIAGE (1921). Takes place on New Year's Eve. The last person to die in the old year has to drive death's carriage in the coming year. Great atmospheric horror film. Hadn't heard of it until I caught it on TCM last year. Influential on Ingmar Bergman and has a sequence that inspired the "Here's Johnny" scene in THE SHINNING. There's a great edition available from Criterion.
Cool. I watched Santa (1925) last night, but I may check out this one too. Sounds good.
Old 12-05-17, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

When I woke up in the middle of the night, I was finally in a holiday mood. I turned on Christmas music on my radio and browsed Roku for a Christmas movie. I decided on HBO Go, where I found Almost Christmas . It was a rather good Christmas movie, starring Danny Glover as a widower who invites his dysfunctional family for a big family Christmas. It was listed under comedy, but it also had some touching moments.
Old 12-05-17, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

If you want to laugh for for an hour, check out this Christmas panto from the folks behind The Play That Goes Wrong

Old 12-05-17, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I might give that a shot, speaking of British TV I hope I can find Mr. Bean's Christmas show on youtube, I remember liking that one when I saw it on Netflix.
Old 12-05-17, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,012 Likes on 837 Posts

If anyone has HBO Now, their Collections tab has a playlist called A Very HBO Christmas that lists Christmas episodes from their various series, from Fraggle Rock to Treme.
Old 12-06-17, 08:30 PM

We watched "It Happened on 5th Avenue" (1947) tonight. I loved it. Can't believe I've never seen it. Great story of a squatter who moves into a huge mansion on 5th avenue in NYC and hosts a bunch of people who need a home over the holidays -- including the mansion's real owner incognito. A bit mapcap, funny, and also touching. Great film.
Old 12-06-17, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was in Target earlier today and picked up the DVD of White Christmas. In case anyone is interested in it, it's on sale, plus there is a Cartwheel on it, so I ended up getting it for $8. Actually, it ended up a bit cheaper since I have the Target credit card, so another 5% off as well. It's $10 over on Amazon. I looked at the BR, but it only had one extra bonus feature, a sing-a-long, and for an extra $4 bucks, wasn't worth it for how little I'll be watching it. Just thought I'd pass along the deal, as the Cartwheel is only for another 2 or 3 days.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.