DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Help Understanding 2013 DVD collection (51 discs) vs 2016 DVD collection (32 discs) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/641673-help-understanding-2013-dvd-collection-51-discs-vs-2016-dvd-collection-32-discs.html)

tonyclem 10-06-17 05:25 AM

Help Understanding 2013 DVD collection (51 discs) vs 2016 DVD collection (32 discs)

Hello,

I am looking at buying a complete DVD collection series of Diagnosis Murder . . . the problem is that the 2013 release was on 51 discs and the same complete series re-released in 2016 was only 32 discs, how is that possible? I have searched and searched online for an answer and have found none.

So . . .

1) Could it be that the 2013 release is full quality and thus more discs were needed

or

2) could it be that they compressed or lowered the quality of the 2016 re-release to use less discs and thus save money?

I know technology moves fast, but to drop 19 discs (almost 40%) out of a set in only 3 years seems quite extreme.

So newer technology and less discs or older set with 19 more discs?

Any logical explanation or the technical or scientific approach to help me understand and educate me would be appreciated.

Thank you

Admin, I apologize if I posted this in the wrong place, I was unsure where it should go. Thank you

Trevor 10-06-17 05:52 AM

Re: Help Understanding 2013 DVD collection (51 discs) vs 2016 DVD collection (32 disc

Welcome to the forum! Yeah, it's confusing to know where to post things. I could be wrong, but I think the dvd subforum would be a better choice. Also, you probably should have put something closer to "Diagnosis Murder disc number question" as your thread title.

I don't know the answer to your question, but it could be just a move to different types of DVDs (double sided vs single, single layer vs double, etc).

Wezzo 10-12-17 03:57 AM

Re: Help Understanding 2013 DVD collection (51 discs) vs 2016 DVD collection (32 disc

Originally Posted by tonyclem (Post 13174408)
Hello,

I am looking at buying a complete DVD collection series of Diagnosis Murder . . . the problem is that the 2013 release was on 51 discs and the same complete series re-released in 2016 was only 32 discs, how is that possible? I have searched and searched online for an answer and have found none.

So . . .

1) Could it be that the 2013 release is full quality and thus more discs were needed

or

2) could it be that they compressed or lowered the quality of the 2016 re-release to use less discs and thus save money?

I know technology moves fast, but to drop 19 discs (almost 40%) out of a set in only 3 years seems quite extreme.

So newer technology and less discs or older set with 19 more discs?

Any logical explanation or the technical or scientific approach to help me understand and educate me would be appreciated.

Thank you

Admin, I apologize if I posted this in the wrong place, I was unsure where it should go. Thank you

Your theories are correct. The company who released the Diagnosis Murder DVDs, VEI, are notorious for jamming as many episodes as possible onto each disc, particularly with super-low-budget re-releases. They've done the same thing with many other shows (Grace Under Fire immediately springs to mind, it went from 14 discs to 10 discs).

I would say that generally their releases are not of a superb quality even on first go-round, so I can't be sure whether it's worth paying more to get the earlier releases. (I have the original Diagnosis Murder set, which generally looks alright, but not the reissued cheaper one, so I can't compare personally.)

tonyclem 10-13-17 05:12 PM

Thank you all for your responses. I had one old disk from the first (original) release 10+ years ago and I purchased the set with 51 disks, I compared the two and found that the 51 disk set has a lower bit rate than the first release disk. I can only image how low a bit rate the 32 disk set must be to eliminate 19 disks and still offer the same amount of episodes.