Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WillieMLF
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only like the Welcome Package. Also remember that any preliminary codes are just that and BN could pull it, change the details or exclusions anything prior to release so always a bit of YMMV until the final release date

Mini FAQ
Coupons should not work for PREORDERS , Nook, Legos, Rosetta Stone, Digital, Gift Cards, Memberships, etc. There are glitches where sometimes an excluded item will be allowed but assume that is the exception to the rule
Free Shipping is $25 (before tax/shipping) or with membership.
Max 3 GC on a single online order.
Online only a single code can be applied to an order
Return period is 14 days after delivery (possibly 30 days for members though I've never tried)
Online ordered items can returned to a local store unless it's classified as a web-only item then it's at the store's discretion to accept
The long standing Free 60 day Trial Offer was discontinued in late May 2016

STORE ONLY 15% OFF Coupons -- Unknown if multi-use or if will work on 40% Off Items
15% OFF Single Item Exp 12/31/2017 (I)
15% OFF Single Item Exp 12/31/2017 (II)
15% OFF Single Item Exp ?? (III)

15% Single Item exp 11/6 2:59am ET -- if these are all used I can post some more.
New codes added below at least to make the bots and lurkers work a little harder. Used codes removed 3:30pm. New Codes added
Spoiler:

HAXMEZYU7FLZ6
GNLBSJZQGPR9P
X5Z8R8XWAKJP1
JD5P9RSPTEDS7
33S8AB64EUME8
T25JYEX4UAB24
LNTSFDZE8NYUA
FTA9M2GEUC1L3
5DWYS67A3RNKC
9WGF8LVSL5FVL
D8ECEK8SFWJDS
LN5726AE4DMT1
C3U1LKYGLZCX3
VUDRA2JC25KMK
8XS6GUTSXDS7S
QF467L793K3QP
RTGC3VZGZGDN7
UY2JAJ8EQTZT5
466K2XS75CPYL
JTWKS2PM3GNRK
MPJZ5TWBZM55L
1LCJA9G6DK13A
R2SYXPPPL9GS4
Y1D7UL6QEDS8S

Some possible upcoming codes
STACKED
YESANDYES
DAYMAKER
TAKEFIVE

"New Member" Welcome Coupons
Welcome coupons may be dead -- or at least the type that have been available for nearly a decade. The latest set now have what appears to be single use codes so these probably no longer will be generic/multiple use style.
Print Wikipost

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-17, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

I had a lot of fun constantly marathoning horror movies. I'm still trying to digest some of what I saw.

Many thanks to Chad for his continued high quality hosting with the epic banners, increasingly more detailed trivia, and subset/theme coordination - much appreciated!

Kudos to the sponsors - Hamilton Books, Synapse, Cult Epics, Celluloid Terror; great stuff.
Old 11-01-17, 08:24 AM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

Originally Posted by SethDLH
Did anyone fall to the challenge curse this year? I hope we avoided all the health problems and equipment failures that have plagued the challenge over the years.
No health problems or equipment failures, but an even bigger cause for concern was i ran out of cigars during the challenge
Old 11-01-17, 08:44 AM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

I finished this year with a personal best of 81, which is probably the ceiling for me. It was a great challenge and thanks to Chad and all the sponsors for making it possible.
Old 11-01-17, 08:49 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
If it wasn't only showing at 10pm, I'd probably go. I can't pull that off, especially since I work in the morning.
Ended up being my main reason as well. We're getting old Ed.
Originally Posted by numbercrunch
I finally came across a Charles Band film I like - 1987's Prison.
I recall enjoying this one as well. There seem to be a few films with the whole electrical powered death row prisoner theme.
Originally Posted by JOE29
Started off with a pair of Carpenter films, They Live and of course, Halloween.
Holy moley, just realized that I didn't watch Halloween this year. That's probably a first since it's been on DVD.
Old 11-01-17, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I didn't hit 100, as I kind of ran out of steam towards the end, but I did have fun, and ended with a very respectable 86.5. I didn't get Halloween in this month either, but I did see it last month for the Criterion Challenge. Wish I had made some progress on my yearly trip through the Godzilla films, but oh well. Thanks for a great Challenge, Chad. And a big thanks to all of our sponsors.
Old 11-01-17, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did anyone fall to the challenge curse this year? I hope we avoided all the health problems and equipment failures that have plagued the challenge over the years.
I got "almost" sick for a week. One of those where your immune system is down because you're fighting something off. Much rather just be sick and get it over with. I say that, but, no. I just really hate continuously having to re-watch segments of the same movie, as I just couldn't stay awake for most that week. As for curses, my dryer broke and that commanded my attention, since I know nothing about dryers (upright computerized kind) and taking the thing apart was quite the discovery.

Originally Posted by clckworang
I went for a late-night Whataburger run...
Jealous! I haven't had Whataburger since I left San Antonio many years ago. Back when I lived in VA I did have What-A-Burger. That was a disappointment.

Originally Posted by numbercrunch
No health problems or equipment failures, but an even bigger cause for concern was i ran out of cigars during the challenge
Egad man!! I enjoyed one of my Fuente/Fuente OpusX cigars this month. Always a tasty though limited treat.
Old 11-01-17, 09:32 AM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I ended up finishing with 111 which is right around my typical amount. Thanks to Chad for hosting and for the sponsors with their generous prizes. One highlight for me this year was the subset films. I generally only watch subset films that I haven't seen before or feel due for a rewatch, but this time there were plenty of new things to me as I watched around 20 of them. Most of them I liked very much with only two exceptions which seems like a great batting average to me.
Old 11-01-17, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Ended up with 101 titles for the month. I did sit and watch about half of Halloween while handing out candy, but it was a pretty slow night. I'm not entirely sure why I decided on Ghostkeeper (1981), before winding things down with Trick 'r Treat (2007).

I would like to thank the sponsors - Hamilton Books, Synapse, Cult Epics, Celluloid Terror for such great prizes. Thank to Chad for doing such a great job organizing and overseeing things. That banner surely is epic! This is my favorite time of the year, and it's great to join in, read the threads, watch a variety of movies (some good, some not so), and commune with some really great people.

The subset films were epic, and I looked forward to most. I look forward to doing it all again next year.
Old 11-01-17, 10:11 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I must admit I saw more horror themed TV shows than movies but of the movies I watched the highlights have to be:

NoMA's 4K restoration was 'NIght of the Living Dead' looked great
Synapse's 4K restoration of 'Suspiria' and seeing it at the AFI Silver was fantastic
watching the 145 min. 'Cabal' cut of 'Nightbreed' on bluray was a revelation
the 105 min. cut of 'Exorcist 3' was superior to the theatrical release version

the David S. Pumpkins Halloween tv special was just bizarre.
Amazon's 'Lore' is fascinating, mixing in a specific story and other historically related material
Fox's 'Ghosted' is kind of lame
this season's American Horror Story is more psychological 'horror' but in my opinion is riveting.
and 'Ash vs. The Evil Dead' is by far the best horror/comedy tv show... ever.
Old 11-01-17, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

I am about to compile the rest of my list based on pics I took on my phone of the TV listings or Blu-ray/DVD cover. I've barely been online at all aside from the occasional Facebook picture upload. I probably would have visited the discussion thread more often if the forum was more mobile friendly. Its just a chore to follow along on my phone which is usually the only time that I am online.

So, with working out of town for a week, a weekend trip to Cedar Point, a few kids' sporting events, I think I will finish in a typical fashion, which is just less than 20. We shall see. I despise the fact that as I get older, the more sleep I need. My body and mind just shuts down after 10:30pm.
Old 11-01-17, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another challenge in the books, hard to believe! Thanks to Chad for keeping this ship on course year after year and thanks to all of the other sponsors who provide the coolest stuff for prizes! I hope everyone had a blast.

As for me another year with ups and downs, mostly ups, but I powered through at the end to top 100 for the 9th consecutive year. Did anyone fall to the challenge curse this year? I hope we avoided all the health problems and equipment failures that have plagued the challenge over the years.
Meant to say earlier that I especially enjoyed your videos this year.
Old 11-01-17, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Well, I puttered out after one more movie, so I was able to match my personal best. Slightly frustrating but still pretty remarkable since I was out of work the previous time I hit that mark. This was by far my favorite year for subset picks, even though mine ended up being one of the duds.

Big thanks to the sponsors, Chad and all participants. It's nice to have a good group of people to share in this craziness.
Old 11-01-17, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Well I managed 48. Had some issues during the past week and a half that kept me away from the TV.
I could of had at least 8-12 more on my list- but sometimes life gets in the way.
All in all it was another fun October month with the horror challenge., as usual.
My goal with these challenges is to have more than the days in the month, so I passed that.
Old 11-01-17, 10:29 AM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

I had my typically awesome October Challenge. I hit a record high of 112 and finished the checklist, Subset Films, and Themes List. I watched a lot more repeats as age is catching up to me and I can rewatch stuff without remembering everything. It made for a better overall experience. As always, I really want to thank Chad and the sponsors. I do other challenges with regularity and really appreciate the people running them but Chad just makes this challenge extra-special! I am ready for a break but I can't wait until next year already!
Old 11-01-17, 11:34 AM

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Another great challenge is over.

Thanks to Chad, the sponsors and everyone who participates and makes this challenge great!
Old 11-01-17, 12:08 PM

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts

Thanks to the organizers of the challenge. I had fun even though I started so late. I hit 51 horror movies watched in October, which is definitely a record for me.

Some of the standouts:
A Dark Song (2016)
The Babysitter (2017)
Slither (2006)
Train to Busan (2016)
Death Note (2017)
Hell House LLC (2015)
Jennifer's Body (2009)
The Invitation (2015)
Child's Play (1988)
Shaun of the Dead (2004)

I was inspired by everyone's else's lists and huge watch counts. I'm looking forward to the December challenge.
Old 11-01-17, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Final two prize packs are in the mail. I almost miss staring at the big stacks of horror media in my office. They had started to feel like decorations. I'll start building new stacks for next year.

Takeaways this year: I like Zombie's Halloween remake more than most (anybody?), but most horror remakes DO suck (My Bloody Valentine/Black Christmas, ugh), Don't Torture a Duckling is still totally overrated IMO (it is neither a great Fulci, nor a great giallo), and Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing are still the best horror duo ever.
Old 11-01-17, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
Final two prize packs are in the mail. I almost miss staring at the big stacks of horror media in my office. They had started to feel like decorations. I'll start building new stacks for next year.

Takeaways this year: I like Zombie's Halloween remake more than most (anybody?), but most horror remakes DO suck (My Bloody Valentine/Black Christmas, ugh), Don't Torture a Duckling is still totally overrated IMO (it is neither a great Fulci, nor a great giallo), and Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing are still the best horror duo ever.

First time view for me this time around. Thought it was great!
Old 11-01-17, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

OK, so my list is compiled. With Wild Cards and/or any partial entries for TV, I clocked in at 23.5, which is my 5th best year (out of 12 years).

It's about what I expected.

Thanks to Chad, the sponsors, and all of my fellow challengers for another fun year. With a job, family, and other commitments, any horror watching that I can get to is just icing on the cake.

Now it's time to catch up on the discussion and read everyone's lists to find some great movies to watch throughout the year (or save form the next challenge)!
Old 11-01-17, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, another October has come and gone. I ended the month with the Al Adamson stinker, Dracula vs. Frankenstein. While not a good movie or a scary movie by any metric, I still found it watchable in a quaintly adorable way. It was interesting in a way that many terrible horror movies that I watched this month failed to be.

This most likely will be my final OHMC. If the past few challenges are any indicator, then I probably wouldn't even finish in the double digits next year. I'll still probably get a few horror movie viewings in next October (Lord knows I've amassed a formidable backlog), but I just find my interest in the challenge waning. Thanks to Chad and the sponsors.
Old 11-01-17, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

The rain stayed away long enough for trick-or-treaters (started just after 9pm here) to have a good night. As it turned out I didn't take my granddaughters out at all. My wife decided we were all going out for pizza and my daughter's test got moved up. We didn't get home until around 7pm, my daughter took the kids to great-grandma's neighborhood herself, there were no cars or kids on our street when we got home so we just didn't turn on the lights. Zero trick-or-treaters which means 2 huge bags of candy were left over. I didn't bother with the after Halloween candy sales because of that.

Even though I thought I'd have a low movie count it turned out pretty good with 125 total viewings, 90 of which were first time viewings. With the exception of 5 titles I streamed at work, everything else came from my unopened piles. I'm left with ~20 horror tiles in that pile and half qualify for other challenges (SF mainly). I plan to make no new horror purchases during the year (OK... if Universal releases "The Invisible Man" and/or "The Creature from the Black Lagoon" Legacy BR sets I'll make exceptions) so I can watch favorites from my collection for a change and not feel guilty about having done so!

Even though I pulled my horror themed TV shows for late night fill-in I only used S1 of "Todd and the Book of Pure Evil."

I'm ready for some funny... now I just need to do with my unopened comedy films like I did with the horror ones. Go through the stacks and get 'em all together. I'm liking how the unopened piles look after pulling over 100 titles out and want to repeat that for the Comedy Challenge.

Thanks for running things, Chad!

Thanks to all the sponsors, and especially Hamilton Book, for some super prize packages!
Old 11-01-17, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
Thank you again for taking the time and effort to put these together. Still can't believe I won one!

Even though my list isn't updated it looks like I finished at 104. Didn't meet my best (or third or even fourth best), but had a lot of fun.

Best regards and appreciations go to Chad and GoldenWheels/Hamilton Book and the rest of our sponsors, as well as to our members for making this yet another memorable month. I had a blast!
Old 11-01-17, 03:04 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

My list is complete now. I finished with 113 watches , 62 first time viewings. I completed most of the checklist successfully with the exception of the 10 actors list.
Old 11-01-17, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

It was nice to sleep late this morning. I'm actually still watching stuff, but not on the level I was for the challenge. I'm already considering rewatching Season 2 of Stranger Things, as that was my favorite challenge day. I'm currently watching Season 1 of Slasher, which is mediocre, but I do plan on watching Game 7 of the World Series tonight and hopefully won't be alarmed at the absence of vampires, werewolves, serial killers, mummies, zombies, or demons.
Old 11-01-17, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

annnnnnnd done. Came in just shy of 100... but I feel I enjoyed this year's viewings a lot more than the higher numbered years.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.