Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WillieMLF
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only like the Welcome Package. Also remember that any preliminary codes are just that and BN could pull it, change the details or exclusions anything prior to release so always a bit of YMMV until the final release date

Mini FAQ
Coupons should not work for PREORDERS , Nook, Legos, Rosetta Stone, Digital, Gift Cards, Memberships, etc. There are glitches where sometimes an excluded item will be allowed but assume that is the exception to the rule
Free Shipping is $25 (before tax/shipping) or with membership.
Max 3 GC on a single online order.
Online only a single code can be applied to an order
Return period is 14 days after delivery (possibly 30 days for members though I've never tried)
Online ordered items can returned to a local store unless it's classified as a web-only item then it's at the store's discretion to accept
The long standing Free 60 day Trial Offer was discontinued in late May 2016

STORE ONLY 15% OFF Coupons -- Unknown if multi-use or if will work on 40% Off Items
15% OFF Single Item Exp 12/31/2017 (I)
15% OFF Single Item Exp 12/31/2017 (II)
15% OFF Single Item Exp ?? (III)

15% Single Item exp 11/6 2:59am ET -- if these are all used I can post some more.
New codes added below at least to make the bots and lurkers work a little harder. Used codes removed 3:30pm. New Codes added
Spoiler:

HAXMEZYU7FLZ6
GNLBSJZQGPR9P
X5Z8R8XWAKJP1
JD5P9RSPTEDS7
33S8AB64EUME8
T25JYEX4UAB24
LNTSFDZE8NYUA
FTA9M2GEUC1L3
5DWYS67A3RNKC
9WGF8LVSL5FVL
D8ECEK8SFWJDS
LN5726AE4DMT1
C3U1LKYGLZCX3
VUDRA2JC25KMK
8XS6GUTSXDS7S
QF467L793K3QP
RTGC3VZGZGDN7
UY2JAJ8EQTZT5
466K2XS75CPYL
JTWKS2PM3GNRK
MPJZ5TWBZM55L
1LCJA9G6DK13A
R2SYXPPPL9GS4
Y1D7UL6QEDS8S

Some possible upcoming codes
STACKED
YESANDYES
DAYMAKER
TAKEFIVE

"New Member" Welcome Coupons
Welcome coupons may be dead -- or at least the type that have been available for nearly a decade. The latest set now have what appears to be single use codes so these probably no longer will be generic/multiple use style.
Print Wikipost

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-17, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

Yeah, Hobgoblins...I feel like I did something wrong and am being punished for it. Terrible, but the choice was wise for the theme.

Two more days until Stranger Things S2 drops. That's what I've been looking forward to all month.
Old 10-25-17, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
The Wailing is 2.5 hours long, so plan accordingly. But I would definitely be interested in other people's interpretations.
The trailer was on The Train to Busan disk, and it really looked good. I have the Shout disk and I'm debating shooting for this weekend, but the running time is really a factor.
Old 10-25-17, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So, I decided to second movie on the Shout! Frogs disk, The Food of the Gods. This was one strangely entertaining movie, replete with giant killer chickens, rats and wasps. The disk even had a slowly moving commentary track.

There's this bubbling mess seeping from the ground in the back yard:

Skinner: There wasn't any oil in the ground, but there was this! (motioning to the bubbling mess coming from the ground), so we fed it to the chicks.
Scott: You fed it to them right out of the ground like that?
Skinner: No, miss. Nothing will eat that, unless we mix it with chicken feed.
Scott: And did all the chickens grow?
Skinner: Only the baby chicks. Nothing seemed to affect the grown ones. Nothing at all.
Scott: Nothing happens to the full-grown chickens, is that right?
Skinner: Well, they didn't grow, if that's what you mean. I didn't say nothing happened to them.
Scott: Well, what did happen?
Skinner: They got eaten, by the real big ones.
Old 10-25-17, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

I've got a question regarding today's theme. I can't remember if this was decided. Do we have a particular number we need to stay within? The bottom 100? 200?

There are a lot of great MST3K episodes that can be watched today.
Old 10-25-17, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
I've got a question regarding today's theme. I can't remember if this was decided. Do we have a particular number we need to stay within? The bottom 100? 200?

I went with MST3K: The Horror of Party Beach, mostly for the beach scenes with the hunky lead actor, and the excellent Mike and the bots bits.
Old 10-25-17, 10:27 AM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

This challenge was the perfect excuse to buy Annabelle: Creation and what do ya know, it was really good. Maybe it was because I watched it with my teenage daughters, who were freaking out the whole time, but I would say it's up there with the Conjuring movies.
Old 10-25-17, 10:52 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang

According to the theme day link, it's the 363 horror items in the IMDb bottom 1000.
http://www.imdb.com/search/title?gen...ser_rating,asc
Old 10-25-17, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy24LA
This challenge was the perfect excuse to buy Annabelle: Creation and what do ya know, it was really good. Maybe it was because I watched it with my teenage daughters, who were freaking out the whole time, but I would say it's up there with the Conjuring movies.
I never even saw the first one and didn't even know this was released. I guess I know what I'm watching tonight. The Conjuring movies are some of my favorites.
Old 10-25-17, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy24LA
I went to see that at the theatre when it was first released. Unfortunately there was a mentally challenged person sitting about 3 rows up who talked to themself through the whole movie. Completely ruined it for me.
Old 10-25-17, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
According to the theme day link, it's the 363 horror items in the IMDb bottom 1000.
http://www.imdb.com/search/title?gen...ser_rating,asc
Yes, I saw that link there for people's reference but didn't think that necessarily meant the film in the 360th spot was eligible. By the end of that list, you have films rated between 4 and 5. That seems a rather high rating given today's theme. I don't think we gave such a wide berth when we did highest rated.
Old 10-25-17, 12:16 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by pacaway
I went to see that at the theatre when it was first released. Unfortunately there was a mentally challenged person sitting about 3 rows up who talked to themself through the whole movie. Completely ruined it for me.
Sorry to hear that, going to the theater is always hit or miss for me. I remember seeing Lights Out on a Saturday afternoon and three girls who I assumed were teenagers, talked/text/teased each other throughout the film. I saw them in the lobby after the movie and it turns out they were probably in their 30's.
Old 10-25-17, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

I just had a most unusual experience. I picked up the following DVD double feature in June 2011 for $3 at Walmart:

The side of the DVD case said "horror" so I'm confident I was motivated by it being something to pull out in October.

I decide to watch The Killing Grounds first. The description on the back of the case says it's about a plane crash in the mountains and strangers coming across the loot and a torturous trip/frightening ordeal down the mountainside.

I stick the disc in, choose the film I want (it had the same picture as above) and discover quickly that this is not the same film. Instead, I have a completely different film with the same title.

I stayed with the film the whole way through and will be counting it as the lamest wild card entry ever.
Old 10-25-17, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

That's weird. I assume it's owned by the same studio?
Old 10-25-17, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Possibly, not sure I'll devote the time to researching it. It's a Mill Creek release from Allumination FilmWorks. I'll get to the other film in the next day or 2. No telling what it might be!
Old 10-25-17, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I had no idea that there were 18 films in the Amityville series. I'm sure most are DTV trash, but I'll admit to enjoying the new one.

Is that a record though, 18?
There's 33 Django movies and 53 Santo movies, which are more horror/sci-fi related than the former.

Originally Posted by WillieMLF
So, I decided to second movie on the Shout! Frogs disk, The Food of the Gods. This was one strangely entertaining movie, replete with giant killer chickens, rats and wasps. The disk even had a slowly moving commentary track.

Skinner: There wasn't any oil in the ground, but there was this! (motioning to the bubbling mess coming from the ground), so we fed it to the chicks.
Skinner: Only the baby chicks. Nothing seemed to affect the grown ones. Nothing at all.
Skinner: Well, they didn't grow, if that's what you mean. I didn't say nothing happened to them.
That's like The Stuff, except a guy decides to eat white stuff coming out of the ground himself instead of trying it out on an animal. If anyone hasn't seen The Stuff, I'm not really spoiling anything. It's like the first scene of the movie.

5 days later and I finally finished A Taste of Blood. I took a break from the challenge because of this modern day Dracula story.
Old 10-25-17, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

There were also 26 Zatoichi films plus TV episodes. Not horror, of course.

I just finished my Elm Street marathon (all new viewings except the first). The return of Heather Langenkamp elevated the last one significantly.
Old 10-25-17, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
Interesting you mention that because I had an issue where my pre-orders (for Spider and Fox) were paid for through PayPal, but Mondo didn't have a record of it. Jared was really cool about it though. They've since changed to a new cart checkout as those pre-orders were causing all kinds of havoc for Mondo.

Ended up that since Mondo didn't have a record of the sale I had to settle for un-numbered editions. Which is fine because I wanted the booklets more than anything. Still red case though. Hopefully everything's good-to-go for the Bride release.
Mondo's a great company and I'll continue supporting them. I was just a little perturbed they held up my entire order because of another distributer's issue.

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
5 days later and I finally finished A Taste of Blood. I took a break from the challenge because of this modern day Dracula story.
Don't remember it being that bad.

I was gonna break open my HG Lewis set (the big one) today. It's unfortunately sitting unopened on the top shelf, and I have a herniated disc and can't lift.
Old 10-25-17, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I watched that movie a few challenges ago. I thought it was one I'd never seen before, but like halfway through I remembered I saw it as a kid. I never knew the name, we just called it "the giant mouse movie" because of the big mice at the end. I also love how all the mice are brown wild mice except one white one who looks like he's on loan from a lab somewhere.
Old 10-25-17, 02:30 PM

I watched all the Phantasm sequels today, and I actually found myself tearing up at the last one, both the ending of the movie and later at the end of the credits where the filmmakers thank all the fans who've supported them over the years. Big sappy me. I rarely watch the end credits of movies, but this one was special to me. Here's my review if anyone wants to check it out:

http://youcanhaveabigbox.blogspot.co...e-2017-85.html

ALSO: I'm at 85 movies! 15 more to go!
Old 10-25-17, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan
I also love how all the mice are brown wild mice except one white one who looks like he's on loan from a lab somewhere.
I just watched 1922 and they had a similar scene that cracked me up. All the rats are brown/black, except in one scene a white lab rat can clearly be seen frolicking with the others.

Anyone else who watch that movie have the same problem I had with it ... lead actor Thomas Jane is largely unintelligible. Is that really the Nebraska accent ... mumbling while barely opening your mouth? If so, remind me to stay away from Nebraska.
Old 10-25-17, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

...The Food of the Gods. This was one strangely entertaining movie, replete with giant killer chickens, rats and wasps.
Ahhh... Bert I. Gordon (aka Mr. B.I.G.). He loved using those matte shots to make things BIG. Here are more of his horror films, all of which are worth at least one viewing and most of which contain at least one bad matte shot:

Beginning of the End (1957) (Giant grasshoppers)
The Cyclops (1957) (Giant one-eyed man)
The Amazing Colossal Man (1957) (Giant man)
Attack of the Puppet People (1958) (People shrunk to doll size - how'd that get here!?!)
War of the Colossal Beast (1958) (Sequel to The Amazing Colossal Man)
The Spider (1958) (Giant Spider)
Empire of the Ants (1977) (Giant ants and Joan Collins - no she's not giant, just an odd movie for her)
Old 10-25-17, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Chad
I was gonna break open my HG Lewis set (the big one) today. It's unfortunately sitting unopened on the top shelf, and I have a herniated disc and can't lift.
That set is Massive!

Here's the last of the TRIVIA, THE FINAL CHAPTER QUESTIONS!

1. What are your 3 favorite Halloween-themed horror films?
- Halloween (1978) - One to rule them all. I still get uneasy watching the original. My first introduction to Michael Myers was the TV version, and that still freaked me out. My parents wouldn't let me watch this stuff.
-Trick 'r Treat (2007) - This has become a Halloween tradition and gets better every year.
-Ginger Snaps (2000) -Oh Canada!

2. What are your 3 favorite supernatural horror films?
-The Omen (1976) - Good ole Damien!
-Let the Right One In (2008) - I actually like the original and remake quite a bit. It's really hard not to be rooting for Eli. Really very tragic.
-Onibaba (1964) - Great Japanese ghost story.

3. What are your 3 favorite Italian horror films?
-Zombi 2 (1979) -
-Suspiria (1977) - The first Italian movie I ever saw. It's a very beautiful film.
-Demons (1985) - Demons loose in an old theater. What more could one ask ?

Last edited by WillieMLF; 10-25-17 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10-25-17, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by brainee
I just watched 1922 and they had a similar scene that cracked me up. All the rats are brown/black, except in one scene a white lab rat can clearly be seen frolicking with the others.

Anyone else who watch that movie have the same problem I had with it ... lead actor Thomas Jane is largely unintelligible. Is that really the Nebraska accent ... mumbling while barely opening your mouth? If so, remind me to stay away from Nebraska.
I just watched 1922, but I missed that. I'm sad I missed it, because that would have been funny and the movie itself was so depressing. Ugh.

I'm glad it wasn't just me with Thomas Jane's accent. I thought he sounded like Billy Bob Thornton in Slingblade, and it was really annoying.
Old 10-25-17, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
Don't remember it being that bad.

It wasn't so much bad as just tedious. Part of it even included watching it with a cbd cookie and that didn't help either.

I ended up just catching up on all the new fall tv episodes instead.
Old 10-25-17, 06:07 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Had a ridiculous dream where I was discussing a lost cut of The Exorcist called something like the Santa Sangre cut. In my dream, I was explaining that Mexico had an obscure rule where even if a film was released in family-friendly edited version in Mexico, that the producers could be fined for obscenity if the main film had objectionable content. The fine was $5 per viewer of the film. To get around this, the procurers didn't release The Exorcist in Mexico, but instead a film spliced with entirely different scenes and characters. This film was now lost and a holy grail for horror fans.

Waking up, I had no idea why I dreamed this, as I swear I haven't been thinking about The Exorcist or Santa Sangre recently.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.