Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WillieMLF
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only like the Welcome Package. Also remember that any preliminary codes are just that and BN could pull it, change the details or exclusions anything prior to release so always a bit of YMMV until the final release date

Mini FAQ
Coupons should not work for PREORDERS , Nook, Legos, Rosetta Stone, Digital, Gift Cards, Memberships, etc. There are glitches where sometimes an excluded item will be allowed but assume that is the exception to the rule
Free Shipping is $25 (before tax/shipping) or with membership.
Max 3 GC on a single online order.
Online only a single code can be applied to an order
Return period is 14 days after delivery (possibly 30 days for members though I've never tried)
Online ordered items can returned to a local store unless it's classified as a web-only item then it's at the store's discretion to accept
The long standing Free 60 day Trial Offer was discontinued in late May 2016

STORE ONLY 15% OFF Coupons -- Unknown if multi-use or if will work on 40% Off Items
15% OFF Single Item Exp 12/31/2017 (I)
15% OFF Single Item Exp 12/31/2017 (II)
15% OFF Single Item Exp ?? (III)

15% Single Item exp 11/6 2:59am ET -- if these are all used I can post some more.
New codes added below at least to make the bots and lurkers work a little harder. Used codes removed 3:30pm. New Codes added
Spoiler:

HAXMEZYU7FLZ6
GNLBSJZQGPR9P
X5Z8R8XWAKJP1
JD5P9RSPTEDS7
33S8AB64EUME8
T25JYEX4UAB24
LNTSFDZE8NYUA
FTA9M2GEUC1L3
5DWYS67A3RNKC
9WGF8LVSL5FVL
D8ECEK8SFWJDS
LN5726AE4DMT1
C3U1LKYGLZCX3
VUDRA2JC25KMK
8XS6GUTSXDS7S
QF467L793K3QP
RTGC3VZGZGDN7
UY2JAJ8EQTZT5
466K2XS75CPYL
JTWKS2PM3GNRK
MPJZ5TWBZM55L
1LCJA9G6DK13A
R2SYXPPPL9GS4
Y1D7UL6QEDS8S

Some possible upcoming codes
STACKED
YESANDYES
DAYMAKER
TAKEFIVE

"New Member" Welcome Coupons
Welcome coupons may be dead -- or at least the type that have been available for nearly a decade. The latest set now have what appears to be single use codes so these probably no longer will be generic/multiple use style.
Print Wikipost

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-17, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 658 Likes on 478 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Really? Rosemary's Baby is a classic. The Omen is too.
IMHO Rosemary's Baby is highly overrated, although I did give it 7/10 when I watched it for the first time 4 years ago (during the 9th Annual Horror Challenge). My recollection of the movie is that I was feeling generous. I'd watch it again to be sure but have too many unopened titles awaiting my attention this year. Maybe next year.

I don't know that I've ever seen The Omen (when it came out I thought it looked rather lame) but I do have a copy awaiting my attention. Maybe this weekend...
Old 10-18-17, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

So, for the Rondo Hatton Awards, it's just the horror films? Is an actor is nominated like Christopher Lee, then any film that has him in it?
Old 10-18-17, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
the removal of the five-star ratings system, the obtrusive 'skip intro' button that's even found on some title sequences of certain films, attempting to navigate my queue with the terrible interface of the app, etc. I'm really considering jumping ship.
I have an old crappy sony br player that apparently won't ever have the netflix app upgraded, so I still get 5 star ratings, old interface, no minimizing at the end of shows/movies, no skip intro, etc. Problem is that it's just slow and clunky to use.

I never even knew about the skip intro thing until yesterday when my kids were watching something on the xbox. It just automatically skips the intro if it's only credits at the beginning and I'm going from one episode to the next.
Old 10-18-17, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

For my theme watching today I picked The Stranger Within, a 1974 made-for-TV flick in which Barbara Eden plays a woman who is controlled by the alien fetus inside her and the 2004 Zack Snyder Dawn of the Dead remake with the infamous zombie baby.
Old 10-18-17, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I did not enjoy Shelley (2016), it's so slow moving and subtle/cryptic , but directed artfully enough that I feel guilty not liking it.
Old 10-18-17, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

For what it's worth, I first watched Rosemary's Baby last month, during the Criterion Collection Challenge, and I really enjoyed it.
Old 10-18-17, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobear
For my theme watching today I picked The Stranger Within, a 1974 made-for-TV flick in which Barbara Eden plays a woman who is controlled by the alien fetus inside her and the 2004 Zack Snyder Dawn of the Dead remake with the infamous zombie baby.
That actually sounds interesting. I never knew Jeannie made a horror film. Unfortunately, I have no way of watching that one.

I also had no idea Zack Snyder directed the Dawn of the Dead remake. So there is an actual movie of his I like...
Old 10-18-17, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 188 Likes on 131 Posts

I love Rosemary's Baby but I think Repulsion is Polanski's masterpiece.
Old 10-18-17, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

While I agree that Rosemary's Baby is a classic in every sense of the word, it's just hard to sit through at times when you've seen it before. However, I'm currently watching Odd Thomas for about the 40th time and have never gotten sick of it...and it's nowhere near a classic.
Old 10-18-17, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 187 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
I did not enjoy Shelley (2016), it's so slow moving and subtle/cryptic , but directed artfully enough that I feel guilty not liking it.
I watched it a week ago, and it sounds like we're of the same mind on this one. My mini-review from my list post:

Well-made, acted, and looks great (set in a desolate Dutch forest). Just ... is it too much to ask for a movie to actually go anywhere? Ultimately vague and unsatisfying for me.
Has anyone else watched Under the Shadow (currently on Netflix)? Sometimes recent horror movies that get near universal acclaim from critics end up disappointing. But not this one for me. You could've completely cut out of the horror aspect (just making it a drama about a mother and child trying to survive war-torn Tehran) and it still would've been an excellent movie. And it's take on the mythology of djinn was different than I've seen before. Unlike other art-house horror, the pace is fast and the 80 minute running time flies by. Just beware if you watch it on Netflix ... the default audio is a horrible English dub. But if you dig into the audio options you'll see the original language track (Persian) and you can select English subtitles.

Some other first-time views on Netflix that I've enjoyed:

I Am Not a Serial Killer: Interesting visual style, a great performance by Christopher Lloyd, and an interesting story that at first seems like it's going to be "Dexter as a teen" ... and then throws some wrinkles into it, and goes to some deep places.

A Dark Song: I liked how the movie really went into the nuts-and-bolts of an elaborate occult ritual. Not for those looking for a body count or a thrill ride. It's more interested in character study ... but a good little movie that is something different from what I've seen before.

Last edited by brainee; 10-18-17 at 03:16 PM.
Old 10-18-17, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007
That actually sounds interesting. I never knew Jeannie made a horror film. Unfortunately, I have no way of watching that one.
I bought the Warner Archive MOD disc years ago. It could do with a remake because the story zips right along and has a scary, downer ending, but a larger budget could pay for some effects. TSW used to be on Youtube along with a ton of other ABC Movies of the Week, but it got yanked.
Old 10-18-17, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 187 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
Has anyone else watched Under the Shadow (currently on Netflix)?
Duh ... just noticed it was the pick for tomorrow!

If it isn't obvious, while I participate in watching as much horror as I can in October I don't pay much attention to themes, assigned movies, and checklists. I know many of you love that stuff, but it just makes watching movies (and planning everything out) feel like work to me. I prefer to just watch what I want when I want.

I didn't get any sleep yesterday (nagging cough that's taking forever to go away). This might be a good night to break open Blu Rays of favorites that I've seen before. That way, if I nod off I don't miss anything Fighting the urge to take a nap because that will just screw up my sleeping schedule for the rest of the week (I'll nap for a couple of hours, then won't be able to fall asleep again, and the whole cycle will repeat another day).
Old 10-18-17, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Duh ... just noticed it was the pick for tomorrow!
You had me thinking I was crazy for a minute.
Old 10-18-17, 06:47 PM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

OK - caught up on the thread!

Originally Posted by pacaway
For my anthology choice I watched V/H/S Viral on Blu-ray that I picked up for a couple bucks at a pawn shop a couple months ago. Thank goodness I didn't waste more than that on it!
I really enjoyed V/H/S and V/H/S/2, but have only heard bad things about V/H/S Viral. Did anyone like it?

Originally Posted by WillieMLF
Watched House of the Devil last night to cleanse my palate after Martyrs. I've heard nothing but good things about HOTD, and it was a big letdown for me.
Spoiler:
She goes to the house to 'babysit', eats some pizza, and meets 'grandma'.
Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
I LOVED House of the Devil first time...but it lost something each time I watched it afterwards.
I was also let down by House of the Devil the first time I saw it, but absolutely loved it the second time. Another movie this happened with was Kill List - now I consider that one of the best horror movies of the decade!

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
IMHO Rosemary's Baby is highly overrated, although I did give it 7/10 when I watched it for the first time 4 years ago (during the 9th Annual Horror Challenge). My recollection of the movie is that I was feeling generous. I'd watch it again to be sure but have too many unopened titles awaiting my attention this year. Maybe next year.
Originally Posted by MysterioMan007
While I agree that Rosemary's Baby is a classic in every sense of the word, it's just hard to sit through at times when you've seen it before. However, I'm currently watching Odd Thomas for about the 40th time and have never gotten sick of it...and it's nowhere near a classic.
Rosemary's Baby is one of the best horror movies, in my opinion. It doesn't get old to me and I find Mia Farrow's performance amazing. Probably my second favorite Polanski film (I still prefer Chinatown). Also, I definitely really enjoy Odd Thomas as well! As you said, not a classic, but really solid and holds up on multiple viewings!

Idle Hands $4.99

Saw: The Complete 7-Movie Collection $9.99 or $8.99 w/ in-store pickup
Still sealed and collecting dust on my shelf for three straight years.

976-EVIL $14.99
Thanks Chad! I purchased Idle Hands and 976-EVIL. I'm still hoping a better edition of Saw is released on BD someday.

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Its a little harder to do a marathon of these movies than I thought. The Final Friday, Jason X, Freddy vs. Jason, and F13 '09. are all pretty different so I'm Okay to keep watching. I'll take a break for a day or two from long movie series marathons than I'll Probably start Halloween next. I have only seen the Original and I have the 10 disc Scream Factory set to watch, and I bought the Standalone Halloween 6 producer's cut movie to watch as well.
I saw the Producer's Cut of Halloween 6 for the first time this year, and felt that the theatrical was better. I wasn't a fan of
Spoiler:
the extra occult stuff, as it made me feel Myers was less of a mystery, and more of a henchman.

That being said, what are your guys' thoughts?

Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan
Oh dear GOD yes. I bought "Night of 1000 Cats" on DVD to watch for the challenge one year, and I considered burning my copy after it ended.
I have heard so many good (in a WTF way) things about this movie that I have to see it. It sounds absolutely insane!

I just stared House by the Cemetery. Bob has got to be the worst name for a little boy. How about Billy, or Lance. His mother did refer to him as Bobby at one point, but it primarily seems to be Bob....
I know what you mean, but now, it adds to the charm. However, hearing "Bob!" and also Bob's voice did make the movie lose any tension it had. Still enjoyed it!

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Glad to have helped your addiction!

Here's my list of Hammer films (I own a copy of most of them - just missing 5). What else are you missing?
Dracula:
The Horror of Dracula (1958, Terence Fisher)
The Brides of Dracula (1960, Terence Fisher)
Dracula: Prince of Darkness (1966, Terence Fisher)
Dracula Has Risen from the Grave (1968, Freddie Francis)
Taste the Blood of Dracula (1970, Peter Sasdy)
Thanks for this list, Bob! This will be great!

I just saw The Brides of Dracula for the first time, and really enjoyed it!
Spoiler:
Though I was really surprised that, despite the title, in the opening voice over they said Dracula was dead, and then the movie had no Dracula!

Whew! Hopefully I'll be able to keep up for the rest of the month! Sorry for making everyone read a novel...

Now to find time to update my list!
Old 10-18-17, 07:40 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 681 Likes on 457 Posts

Time for my novel!
Originally Posted by clckworang
Shut your mouth! I love Frankenhooker.
You won your prize, no need to butter up to Rich anymore.
Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Great, now you've got me curious to watch Andy Milligan films.
Ugh, me too.
Originally Posted by mrcellophane
I watched Mama, a movie I blind-bought because it stars Jessica Chastain. While I enjoyed the atmosphere and acting, there was too much unconvincing CGI and plot contrivances. Of course, some plot has to be contrived, but there were too many people conveniently popping up. Still, I like ghost story and Chastain so this is probably going to stay in my collection.
Mama was a great short. Not sure how they thought it could be stretched into a full length film.
Originally Posted by Julie Walker
I saw Happy Death Day this afternoon, and I highly recommend it! It was a blast of sheer fun, suspense, drama, comedy all rolled into one. The audience had a great time as well, and I left the theater grinning with glee at how much I enjoyed the movie.
I've seen the trailer in the theater twice in the last 18 hours. Looks like a lot of fun, but I'm a sucker for the Groundhog Day formula. Plan to see it tomorrow. It's a sure thing to be better than today's Flatliners. That was a remake the world didn't need.
Old 10-18-17, 08:02 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 681 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
I so want to try that out! It just seems way to good to be true.
That's what I thought at first too. But I took a chance and ordered it a few weeks ago. So far, it's all good. They didn't charge me until the day I activated the card. And I've used it two days in a row without a hitch. Works at my local Regal, just two miles from the house, and the cheap tickets there are $14, so even just one movie a month it'll be worth it, but I imagine I'll do at least two a month, and 5-6 in Octobers.
There's nothing like finishing an unsettling, atmospheric film only to have Netflix fuck it all up by starting a commercial right when the credits begin. I think it was 8 seconds I had to arrow over to the tiny box to return to my movie and the lingering atmosphere, but that was already greedily murdered by new arch-enemy, Netflix.

I have tried everything I know to do. I have auto-play turned off; I have all of the boxes unchecked and buttons off regarding being included in test or experimental viewing. But still the same result. And their CS is practically non-existent. Really bumming out my October.
Yeah, I hate that stuff.
Has anyone else watched Under the Shadow (currently on Netflix)?

Some other first-time views on Netflix that I've enjoyed:

I Am Not a Serial Killer:

A Dark Song:
Those sound good, thanks for the queue building!
Old 10-18-17, 08:52 PM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

I have tried everything I know to do. I have auto-play turned off; I have all of the boxes unchecked and buttons off regarding being included in test or experimental viewing. But still the same result. And their CS is practically non-existent. Really bumming out my October.
Let me know if you figure this out. I also watch Netflix on a Roku box and this makes me crazy. Yes, I'm a credit-watcher, but mostly I just like a moment of quiet before going on to something else.
Old 10-18-17, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

So, for the Rondo Hatton Awards, it's just the horror films? Is an actor is nominated like Christopher Lee, then any film that has him in it?
Yes, and only the Chris Lee films that were nominated or won.

Originally Posted by cwileyy
I saw the Producer's Cut of Halloween 6 for the first time this year, and felt that the theatrical was better. I wasn't a fan of
Spoiler:
the extra occult stuff, as it made me feel Myers was less of a mystery, and more of a henchman.

That being said, what are your guys' thoughts?
I'm actually a fan of the 'Thorn' mythology in 4 though 6. It sort of ties in with the Season of the Witch storyline. Although, I probably [slightly] preferred the theatrical cut just because it's more brutal and doesn't explain everything. Both endings were terrible.

Spoiler:
The theatrical due to circumstance (Donald Pleasance dying shortly after filming). The producer's cut just fell flat. Put some magic rocks around Michael and he's just an empty uncontrolled vessel who's no longer evil.
Old 10-18-17, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Shack
Let me know if you figure this out. I also watch Netflix on a Roku box and this makes me crazy. Yes, I'm a credit-watcher, but mostly I just like a moment of quiet before going on to something else.
I watched The Babysitter tonight and no commercials during the credits. I checked my settings and test participation is on. Maybe it's my plan (2 screens + HD)?
Old 10-18-17, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Watching Beyond the Door and cracking up at the little girl who talks like a 30-year-old foul-mouthed hippy
Old 10-18-17, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 119 Likes on 104 Posts

Man, is IFC FILMS the #1 distributor for horror movies nowadays? I’ve now watched (What feels like) the 13th film by them.
Old 10-18-17, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Man, is IFC FILMS the #1 distributor for horror movies nowadays? I’ve now watched (What feels like) the 13th film by them.
Come across any good ones yet?

I used to blind buy as many of the Scream Factory IFC releases because they'd be stocked at Best Buy pretty cheap but I kept getting burned by how bad they were. Extraterrestrial is where I drew the line.
Old 10-18-17, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

The Wednesday reminder...

Sunday Night Trivia Question: Chapter 3

The Biggest OHMC Contest to Date! Three questions. Three winners.

Questions 1 and 2 from HamiltonBook are open to U.S. residents only.

1. The OHMC13 theme is dream logic...
What 3 films give you nightmares?

2. "It" continues setting the box office ablaze...
What are your 3 favorite Stephen King film adaptations?

3. TCM's Monster of the Month is Dracula...
What are your 3 favorite versions of Dracula?

That's it. Once again, there's no right or wrong answers. Randomly drawn.

For question #1 you're playing for a HamiltonBook.com Prize Pack #3: Vinegar Syndrome/Arrow Video Edition:

Spoiler:

- Death Machines
- Jack Frost
- Demonoid
- Double Exposure
- Blood Mania / Point of Terror
- Don't Answer the Phone
- Slaughterhouse
- Witchtrap
- The Hearse
- The Undertaker
- Bride of Re-Animator
- Wolf Guy
- The Red Queen Kills Seven Times
- Brain Damage
- The Night Evelyn Came Out of the Grave
- Caltiki, The Immortal Monster
- Madhouse
- Blood Rage
- Psychomania
- The Driller Killer

Courtesy of...

For question #2 you're playing for a HamiltonBook.com Prize Pack #4: Shout! Factory Edition:

Spoiler:

- Missing in Action
- Hercules
- The Adventures of Hercules II
- Vicious Lips
- Take Me to the River
- Olymplus
- Bolero / Ghosts Can't Do It
- Two-Minute Warning
- Living in Oblivion
- One & Two
- Millennium / R.O.T.O.R.
- A Tale of Two Cities
- Alienator
- Never Too Young to Die
- Bad Influence
- The Man from Planet X
- Scorchy
- Timebomb
- The Lonely Lady
- Sexdoll
- Bodyguards and Assasins
- Road House
- Rollercoaster
- Man of La Mancha
- Rabid Dogs

Courtesy of...

For question #3 you're playing for your choice of one of the following Blu-rays:

- Angst
- In A Glass Cage
- Nekromantik
- Pig/1334

Courtesy of...

Submit your answers to me via PM or email (one entry per person).

Contest is open until next Sunday's trivia question begins.

Good luck.

Old 10-18-17, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

The Transfiguration is an interesting modern vampire movie streaming on Netflix. The pacing is a little slow because it's a mood piece for most of the run time but despite that I especially enjoyed it. It's sort of like Moonlight for closeted deranged vampire film lovers, just the right amount of macabre twist in a gritty urban tale.

Residue, also on Netflix, lured me in with what seemed to be an interesting Lovecraft inspired premise and despite Max Headroom and X-files' Smoking Man it was mostly nonsensical with relatively little hallucinatory imagery (kind of aimless) and mostly mediocre production values. Possibly my most disappointing film this challenge (no bad, it's just how do you mess up a set up like that and abuse the availability of cult actors?). Lukewarm.

Agreed that Repulsion > Rosemary's Baby but I feel like Rosemary's Baby is more accessible and rewatchable.
Originally Posted by cwileyy
I saw the Producer's Cut of Halloween 6 for the first time this year, and felt that the theatrical was better...
I've always enjoyed the theatrical cut of Halloween 6 and when I eventually saw the Producer's Cut being unsure what all the hype over the years has been. I'm due for a revisit but I think part 6 is easily under rated. I liked the astrology stuff.
Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
I have noticed that the selections on Netflix seem more specific to certain distributors like IFC or XLRator, along with a lot of foreign titles. IFC has some good titles though (Devil's Candy, I Am Not a Killer, Evolution, Road Games, Autopsy of Jane Doe, Baskin, etc); even their subpar titles seem like slickly produced attempts.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-18-17 at 11:46 PM.
Old 10-18-17, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 308 Posts

My last movie tonight is a Nightmare on Elm street 2: Freddy's Revenge. It's quite possibly the most unintentional Horror comedy ever made.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.