Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WillieMLF
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only like the Welcome Package. Also remember that any preliminary codes are just that and BN could pull it, change the details or exclusions anything prior to release so always a bit of YMMV until the final release date

Mini FAQ
Coupons should not work for PREORDERS , Nook, Legos, Rosetta Stone, Digital, Gift Cards, Memberships, etc. There are glitches where sometimes an excluded item will be allowed but assume that is the exception to the rule
Free Shipping is $25 (before tax/shipping) or with membership.
Max 3 GC on a single online order.
Online only a single code can be applied to an order
Return period is 14 days after delivery (possibly 30 days for members though I've never tried)
Online ordered items can returned to a local store unless it's classified as a web-only item then it's at the store's discretion to accept
The long standing Free 60 day Trial Offer was discontinued in late May 2016

STORE ONLY 15% OFF Coupons -- Unknown if multi-use or if will work on 40% Off Items
15% OFF Single Item Exp 12/31/2017 (I)
15% OFF Single Item Exp 12/31/2017 (II)
15% OFF Single Item Exp ?? (III)

15% Single Item exp 11/6 2:59am ET -- if these are all used I can post some more.
New codes added below at least to make the bots and lurkers work a little harder. Used codes removed 3:30pm. New Codes added
Spoiler:

HAXMEZYU7FLZ6
GNLBSJZQGPR9P
X5Z8R8XWAKJP1
JD5P9RSPTEDS7
33S8AB64EUME8
T25JYEX4UAB24
LNTSFDZE8NYUA
FTA9M2GEUC1L3
5DWYS67A3RNKC
9WGF8LVSL5FVL
D8ECEK8SFWJDS
LN5726AE4DMT1
C3U1LKYGLZCX3
VUDRA2JC25KMK
8XS6GUTSXDS7S
QF467L793K3QP
RTGC3VZGZGDN7
UY2JAJ8EQTZT5
466K2XS75CPYL
JTWKS2PM3GNRK
MPJZ5TWBZM55L
1LCJA9G6DK13A
R2SYXPPPL9GS4
Y1D7UL6QEDS8S

Some possible upcoming codes
STACKED
YESANDYES
DAYMAKER
TAKEFIVE

"New Member" Welcome Coupons
Welcome coupons may be dead -- or at least the type that have been available for nearly a decade. The latest set now have what appears to be single use codes so these probably no longer will be generic/multiple use style.
Print Wikipost

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-17, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

Originally Posted by brainee
I watched it [Evolution, 2015] for the summer sci-fi/fantasy challenge. Here's what I wrote in that thread (didn't get any responses ):

Has anyone else seen the movie Evolution (2015 French art-house sci-fi/fantasy/horror, not the 2001 David Duchovny sci-fi/comedy). Just watched it on Netflix and trying to digest what I just saw. Looking at general comments online, it doesn't seem like anyone has any good answers. Which may very well be what the filmmaker intended.

Like the filmmaker's previous film, Innocence, there's the sense of a metaphorical look at puberty within the trappings of a mystery/fantasy/horror/sci-fi story (this time focusing on young boys instead of young girls). Like Eraserhead, there's a nightmare-like non-logic dealing with body horror. And at only 80 minutes, I can forgive the experimentalism and lack of plot cohesion. What I could make out of the story was [don't read if you haven't seen it, unless you want to be massively spoiled]:
Spoiler:

So we have these women tending to pubescent boys on an isolated island. But the women seem to be non-human (with starfish suckers on their backs and the ability to breath underwater). What are they doing to the boys? They're feeding them this nasty food of what looks like worms and seaweed and doing a surgical procedure that impregnates the boys (which also makes them sickly). The boys give birth via C-section to these fish-like infants (the infant version of the woman-creatures?) before dying. One "mother" helps the main boy character escape to civilization at the end.

What about the title (Evolution)? Is it this hybrid species of human and sea creature that these boys are giving birth to? Are the boys even genetically contributing, or are they just carriers? What about the starfish? Is there something to that imagery besides being a sea creature with suckers like the women have? Starfish have some interesting mechanisms of reproduction. Most know about their ability to regenerate. But starfish are rather ambiguous when it comes to sexual reproduction. Some species can be male and female at the same time. Others can start as one sex and completely change to the other sex.
My interpretation of the amazing Evolution (2015) film was similar... MAJOR SPOILERS
Spoiler:
It felt like the opening segment of the boy finding a dead body under the water was significant foreshadowing suggesting impending doom waiting for the kids. Also, I couldn't quite make out the point of the starfish amputation scene, maybe this was suggesting that starfish grow back from amputated limbs and that the women were all disintegrated parts of the same starfish/creature now humanoid. The theme of boys being scared of sea creatures is curious and the most awkwardly staged scene is them burying a creature fingernail deep in pebbles (what was intent of that scene?). The scene of naked bodies in starfish shapes suggests a deeper connection to the starfish. It seemed like the women didn't quite know what they were doing with the boy, experimenting on them with some failures and seeming to be very curious about the gestating implantations. When they were watching the c-section video I almost got the sense they were surprised by this possibility and reacting by mistakenly implanting into boys just because they didn't know female mammals carry fetuses. I imagine the idea of cutting open a body that won't regenerate might seem really foreign to starfish creatures (assuming they are starfish like creatures). Since they were all girls it makes sense that gender was intentional and important but I can't figure that. The photographs of girls with suction cups all seemed medical/scientific suggesting they were in society and considered outsiders. At one point it felt like the sympathetic mom was surprised the boy could not breath underwater (maybe she expected he would due to experiment or felt like she could so he should). Parts made me feel like the starfish women were trying to implant themselves through the boys physically but the boy was implanting himself on the sympathetic mother mentally/emotionally.
Old 10-11-17, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Last night brought a first time viewing of Frankenhooker. That's one... weird... film... But I really enjoyed it!
Thank goodness! I hope it was a copy you purchase or that I sent you!

(I've only got 800 copies left, selling for far less than my net price...that is the true horror that haunts my life. Cripes, my kids may be selling it someday.)

Watched Don't Torture a Duckling last night. It's OK, I guess, and Barbara Bouchet is...well, Barbara Bouchet. She's great. But I don't think it's a very good giallo, or a very good Fulci. It's just...so meh.
Old 10-11-17, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I was pleasantly surprised to see TCM still airing horror movies when I woke up this morning. I just finished Val Lewton's Isle Of The Dead, with Boris Karloff. I really enjoyed it.
Old 10-11-17, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
This evening I watched A Field in England and really enjoyed it. I'm a sucker for experimental filmmaking, and this one sated my proclivities. It was strange pairing such an artful film with the cheesy ineptitude of Yongary, Monster of the Deep.
I've really evolved from my first viewing of A Field in England. My first viewing was pretty maddening, but I stuck with it over the year. I think it's a pretty fantastic movie, and if you know some of the folklore then all the better. I have the Drafthouse Blu, and think that one-sheet is one of the most beautiful posters out there.
Old 10-11-17, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels

(I've only got 800 copies left, selling for far less than my net price...that is the true horror that haunts my life.)
Ha! I think most of us here have a copy thanks to you. It could be a special welcome to the challenge prize for new folks, as a means to initiate them.
Old 10-11-17, 09:15 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

watched my bluray copy of Nightbreed: Cabal Cut last night and I thought the extra twenty five minutes that were not in the 'director's cut' made the movie even more epic, the onslaught and killing of the breed at the end took on a more brutal unsettling context - I'm almost curious to rewatch the original theatrical cut just to compare the two.
Old 10-11-17, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Woof, 1992 was not a good year for horror movies. I watched Hellraiser III and Highway to Hell and just felt like I was going through the motions instead of enjoying them.
Old 10-11-17, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 303 Posts

Since its the week of Friday the 13th, I started the series late last night. I hope to make it through all of the movies this week. Thanks to a local independent theater I found a holiday Horror comedy Called 'Better Watch Out', its in theaters and on streaming services. Lets just say it has elements of horror, a home invasion thriller, and references to the traps of Home Alone. This is one fucked up movie.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 10-11-17 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-11-17, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Since its the week of Friday the 13th, I started the series late last night. I hope to make it through the series all this week. Thanks to a local independent theater I found a holiday Horror comedy Called Better Watch Out, its available on streaming services. Lets just say it has element of horror, a home invasion thriller, and references to the traps of Home Alone. This is one fucked up movie.
This actually doesn't look bad. I may have to dive into that later today.

I had planned on doing a Hellraiser marathon today, but I don't think I have it in me to watch all of them again. After watching the first last night and part of the second, I thought a little rest before finishing up 2 and starting the rest would work. But, I just don't think I have the will power. The first three will have to do....
Old 10-11-17, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Every 8 or more years I think to myself, maybe you were just not in the right mood the last time you watched Zombie Lake. But no, still sucks.

Todays theme snack of choice:
Spoiler:
Old 10-11-17, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
I don't think he's ever hidden the fact that he uses material from other directors, producers, DPs, writers, etc. I just think that he does the "ripping off" better than most anyone else.
In an interview with MTV, he said he'd never seen City on Fire, when it was brought up that Reservoir Dogs is a movie that just describes all the action from the other movie.
Old 10-11-17, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
Brimstone, another fine genre show callously murdered by FOX. I'd list the others, but it's too depressing.
I just skip watching shows on FOX entirely, since they tend to get cancelled.
Old 10-11-17, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
I just skip watching shows on FOX entirely, since they tend to get cancelled.
Freakylinks was tight, yo.
Old 10-11-17, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

(I've only got 800 copies left, selling for far less than my net price...that is the true horror that haunts my life. Cripes, my kids may be selling it someday.)
Yes, it's a copy you sent! I was remiss adding that and doing a shout-out THANKS!

It's more than worth the paltry $3.95 you're currently charging!

Everyone who doesn't own a copy and makes a purchase from Hamiltonbook.com needs to add one to their order!
Old 10-11-17, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

My copy of Wer arrived yesterday so I watched it last night. With all the positive comments I had somewhat high hopes going in. After watching it I don't know what you guys see in it. For me it was just another, rather average, found footage/shaky cam type production (and I felt like it didn't know just which it wanted to be so tried for both). Several times I thought it was going to change my mind, but it kept losing me because of the production technique. In all fairness, there is only *one* found footage film I've ever enjoyed and will willingly rewatch. No, it's not Blair Witch (I've never seen, nor desire to see, that one).

Last edited by BobO'Link; 10-11-17 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-11-17, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Every 8 or more years I think to myself, maybe you were just not in the right mood the last time you watched Zombie Lake. But no, still sucks.
Better or worse than Oasis of the Zombies?
Old 10-11-17, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Better or worse than Oasis of the Zombies?
I have actually never seen that one, I have the Full Moon VHS Big Box repo in my 'to watch pile' so I will get back to you. Although the connection you are inferring is worryingly ominous.
Old 10-11-17, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
In an interview with MTV, he said he'd never seen City on Fire, when it was brought up that Reservoir Dogs is a movie that just describes all the action from the other movie.
Joe Bob's book has chapter in his book about City on Fire (or mentions it in relation to a Tarantino movie anyway, been a while since I read it), and Tarantino changing what he said about Ringo Lam several times, the more and more people realized how obvious the rip off was. Think it mentions the "Who Do You Think You're fooling" youtube vid as well.
Old 10-11-17, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have actually never seen that one, I have the Full Moon VHS Big Box repo in my 'to watch pile' so I will get back to you. Although the connection you are inferring is worryingly ominous.
Be worried! And don't watch it when you're sleepy already. OTOH, if you NEED to sleep....go for it!
Old 10-11-17, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

I don't throw around the "worst movie ever made" moniker very much, but Zombie Lake would at least have to be a contender. It was so bad I will never watch it again...and I've watched some pretty terrible movies more than once.
Old 10-11-17, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

I'm suffering through Trick or Treats (1982) right now. I'm glad I never bought the Code Red blu when it was about to go OOP. It seems like we could trim a good bit of fat from this and end up with an uneventful short. Finally made it to the 1 hour and 10 minute mark and finally someone is killed.

Last edited by WillieMLF; 10-11-17 at 01:51 PM.
Old 10-11-17, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Joe Bob's book has chapter in his book about City on Fire (or mentions it in relation to a Tarantino movie anyway, been a while since I read it), and Tarantino changing what he said about Ringo Lam several times, the more and more people realized how obvious the rip off was. Think it mentions the "Who Do You Think You're fooling" youtube vid as well.
I first saw Who Do You Think You're Fooling, long ago back when people would trade things like this on VHS through the mail.

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007
I don't throw around the "worst movie ever made" moniker very much, but Zombie Lake would at least have to be a contender. It was so bad I will never watch it again...and I've watched some pretty terrible movies more than once.
I remember seeing the VHS cover all the time as a kid and being disappointed every time I rented it or things like USA Up All Night, Commander USA's Groovie Movies, USA Saturday Nightmares played it.

Same deal with Zone Troopers.
Old 10-11-17, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Zone Trooper payed out way more than Zombie Lake but to be fair there was at least copious nudity in Zombie Lake
Old 10-11-17, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Woof, 1992 was not a good year for horror movies. I watched Hellraiser III and Highway to Hell and just felt like I was going through the motions instead of enjoying them.
The 90s were VERY tough times for horror. There's only just a handful standouts to me like Baby Blood, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Dead Alive & The Addiction. Sorry, never was a Scream fan.

but to be fair there was at least copious nudity in Zombie Lake
Yeah, as tough enough to already watch as it is, imagine watching the "Clothed" version...Which actually does exist.
Old 10-11-17, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
The 90s were VERY tough times for horror. There's only just a handful standouts to me like Baby Blood, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Dead Alive & The Addiction. Sorry, never was a Scream fan.
You're not alone on Scream.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.