Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WillieMLF
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only like the Welcome Package. Also remember that any preliminary codes are just that and BN could pull it, change the details or exclusions anything prior to release so always a bit of YMMV until the final release date

Mini FAQ
Coupons should not work for PREORDERS , Nook, Legos, Rosetta Stone, Digital, Gift Cards, Memberships, etc. There are glitches where sometimes an excluded item will be allowed but assume that is the exception to the rule
Free Shipping is $25 (before tax/shipping) or with membership.
Max 3 GC on a single online order.
Online only a single code can be applied to an order
Return period is 14 days after delivery (possibly 30 days for members though I've never tried)
Online ordered items can returned to a local store unless it's classified as a web-only item then it's at the store's discretion to accept
The long standing Free 60 day Trial Offer was discontinued in late May 2016

STORE ONLY 15% OFF Coupons -- Unknown if multi-use or if will work on 40% Off Items
15% OFF Single Item Exp 12/31/2017 (I)
15% OFF Single Item Exp 12/31/2017 (II)
15% OFF Single Item Exp ?? (III)

15% Single Item exp 11/6 2:59am ET -- if these are all used I can post some more.
New codes added below at least to make the bots and lurkers work a little harder. Used codes removed 3:30pm. New Codes added
Spoiler:

HAXMEZYU7FLZ6
GNLBSJZQGPR9P
X5Z8R8XWAKJP1
JD5P9RSPTEDS7
33S8AB64EUME8
T25JYEX4UAB24
LNTSFDZE8NYUA
FTA9M2GEUC1L3
5DWYS67A3RNKC
9WGF8LVSL5FVL
D8ECEK8SFWJDS
LN5726AE4DMT1
C3U1LKYGLZCX3
VUDRA2JC25KMK
8XS6GUTSXDS7S
QF467L793K3QP
RTGC3VZGZGDN7
UY2JAJ8EQTZT5
466K2XS75CPYL
JTWKS2PM3GNRK
MPJZ5TWBZM55L
1LCJA9G6DK13A
R2SYXPPPL9GS4
Y1D7UL6QEDS8S

Some possible upcoming codes
STACKED
YESANDYES
DAYMAKER
TAKEFIVE

"New Member" Welcome Coupons
Welcome coupons may be dead -- or at least the type that have been available for nearly a decade. The latest set now have what appears to be single use codes so these probably no longer will be generic/multiple use style.
Print Wikipost

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-17, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
if he would just stop with homages / ripping off / remaking other movies and start really being creative.
Tarantino doesn't get nearly as criticized as Zombie does, which I think if unfair. He tried to get away with saying he'd never seen City on Fire, after Reservoir Dogs came out.

He's not as bad now but in his early days, he was ripping off scenes left and right.
Old 10-10-17, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

Does anyone know the difference between Hellsing and Hellsing Ultimate? I bought the first series on Amazon Instant Video this afternoon, since I lost access to it when I cancelled Hulu. I read the plot for the second series, since it was right under the first, and the plot sounded exactly the same.
Old 10-10-17, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by numbercrunch
I don't hate the Rob Zombie films, in fact I like Lords of Salem alot. I just don't want my iconic horror villians "unpacked"(my lawyer likes to use this term) to the point where the mystery is gone. if you could remove the first 30 minutes of Halloween 1 it would be great. i like Halloween 2 better. its brutal and mean spirited.
Still never seen that one, maybe I'll try to catch it this month. I'm so hot or cold with Zombie I just never know which way it's gonna go though...
Old 10-10-17, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Does anyone know the difference between Hellsing and Hellsing Ultimate? I bought the first series on Amazon Instant Video this afternoon, since I lost access to it when I cancelled Hulu. I read the plot for the second series, since it was right under the first, and the plot sounded exactly the same.
The original Hellsing was produced at the same time the manga was being produced. It eventually overtook the manga plot and then went its own way.

Ultimate is ten OAV's that more or less faithfully cover the entire manga series.
Old 10-10-17, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Trevor
Exactly! Keep them sort of hidden and mixed into the image in the subset threads, but never mention them anywhere else.
Hmmm, I have them identified in my streaming details for my watches. I don't think it's obvious what it refers to, though.

Regarding Rob Zombie's Halloween, I personally do not like it, kind of hate it. But I think he was trying too hard to incorporate the original and his own vision as one. Halloween II, on the other hand, I do enjoy very much. But I believe that the sequel is its own movie where Mr. Zombie got to do his own thing without concern to a source version.
Old 10-10-17, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by WillieMLF
A question aand an observation. I was watching 10 Cloverfield Lane last night as a first time view. I've been holding out on watching this one, and I thought it was pretty fantastic. I've got my checklist planned out pretty well, and I noticed that John Goodman's character was watching Pretty in Pink, and the scene he was watching had Harry Dean Stanton in it. Stanton isn't acting in Cloverfield, and he isn't credited in IMDB for it either. I'm not planning on it, but could one check him off based on this? This is pretty funny, as I had to pause the movie and see if my Stanton movie was Cloverfield. It's wasn't.
Man, is everyone intent on trying to expose every possible loophole out there this year? Hey, there's this poster of Tawny Kitaen shown for a split second in a bedroom...

But seriously, that might be pushing it a bit, although I guess technically you could. I'd personally look for at least an IMDB credit.

Originally Posted by WillieMLF
I remember from years back someone mentioning seeing multiple movies where NOLD is playing on the television (or was it Carnival of Souls?). We should have this as a checklist item next year, as I've already seen 2 this month that would qualify.
That was me; it was NOTLD. This link under "Referenced in" covers that in addition to theater screenings, poster art, being mentioned in conversations, etc.

And it's funny, I was considering suggesting it as a possible theme. Probably is better suited for the checklist though, unless it's expanded to any public domain horror film.
Old 10-10-17, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Chad
Man, is everyone intent on trying to expose every possible loophole out there this year? Hey, there's this poster of Tawny Kitaen shown for a split second in a bedroom...
I'm just going to make a feature length trailer compilation that incorporates enough checklist items to complete the subset, then upload it to youtube with a credit list, to make double sure it all counts
Old 10-10-17, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

For those needing more caffeine Starbucks is having 50% off Maple Pecan Latte, Salted Caramel Mocha, and Pumpkin Spice Latte from October 10 - 13. You might need to be on their e-mail distribution list to trigger the offer through a barcode they've e-mailed out.
Old 10-10-17, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
Tarantino doesn't get nearly as criticized as Zombie does, which I think if unfair. He tried to get away with saying he'd never seen City on Fire, after Reservoir Dogs came out.

He's not as bad now but in his early days, he was ripping off scenes left and right.
I agree, he's a shameless plagiarist. He's still doing it all the time today, he's just ripping off more obscure films.
Old 10-10-17, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Vinz Clortho
I've yet to see Lords of Salem and 31 though... perhaps I'll catch up with those during this month.
I haven't seen 31. But I quite liked Lords of Salem. Zombie is trying something different with this movie. Instead of over-the-top grindhouse excesses, he's channeling filmmakers like Kubrick, Polanski, and Freidkin (and even some arthouse influences). It will divide audiences (especially those who loves 1000 Corpses and Devil's Rejects), and probably wasn't completely successful but I give him props for trying to grow as a filmmaker. Disappointingly, it sounds like 31 was a step backwards.

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007
I also might give them another try. But, like Trevor, I'm not very hopeful. I like one of Zombie's other films (The Devil's Rejects), but Halloween (1978) is a special movie to me. Possibly my favorite all-time horror movie. I just feel like Rob Zombie didn't understand the concept and his vision of what the Halloween franchise is doesn't match my own.

For me, the original was great because Michael Myers was an "everykid" from a normal home who suddenly snapped for no rhyme or reason. He was scary because you didn't know what drove him. There was no reason. He just killed because, as Loomis said, he was pure evil. He was almost mythic in that sense.

Rob Zombie just gave him the typical serial killer white trash backstory about killing animals, a stripper mom, and an abusive stepdad, and tried to make a simple idea more complex than it needed to be. Plus, all his characters talk the same, do the same things, and are basically extensions of his own self. He has no idea how to create unique voices and traits which make characters distinguishable from one another.

This is not to say Zombie doesn't have talent. I think his visuals are superb, but as far as his writing, it's cringeworthy to listen to at times.
Pretty much my response to Zombie's Halloween. Creatively, I didn't see the value of even having it be a Halloween movie (financially, I get why it was remade though).

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Wow. Evolution (2015) is 'the movie' for me this challenge, it hit all the right notes with a eerie fantastic story told in beautiful underwater/coastal cinematography that oozes atmosphere (maybe I'm just a sucker for aquatic movies) and has a premise that seems so original there's no telling where it'll go. The plot is just cryptic enough.
I watched it for the summer sci-fi/fantasy challenge. Here's what I wrote in that thread (didn't get any responses ):

Has anyone else seen the movie Evolution (2015 French art-house sci-fi/fantasy/horror, not the 2001 David Duchovny sci-fi/comedy). Just watched it on Netflix and trying to digest what I just saw. Looking at general comments online, it doesn't seem like anyone has any good answers. Which may very well be what the filmmaker intended.

Like the filmmaker's previous film, Innocence, there's the sense of a metaphorical look at puberty within the trappings of a mystery/fantasy/horror/sci-fi story (this time focusing on young boys instead of young girls). Like Eraserhead, there's a nightmare-like non-logic dealing with body horror. And at only 80 minutes, I can forgive the experimentalism and lack of plot cohesion. What I could make out of the story was [don't read if you haven't seen it, unless you want to be massively spoiled]:
Spoiler:

So we have these women tending to pubescent boys on an isolated island. But the women seem to be non-human (with starfish suckers on their backs and the ability to breath underwater). What are they doing to the boys? They're feeding them this nasty food of what looks like worms and seaweed and doing a surgical procedure that impregnates the boys (which also makes them sickly). The boys give birth via C-section to these fish-like infants (the infant version of the woman-creatures?) before dying. One "mother" helps the main boy character escape to civilization at the end.

What about the title (Evolution)? Is it this hybrid species of human and sea creature that these boys are giving birth to? Are the boys even genetically contributing, or are they just carriers? What about the starfish? Is there something to that imagery besides being a sea creature with suckers like the women have? Starfish have some interesting mechanisms of reproduction. Most know about their ability to regenerate. But starfish are rather ambiguous when it comes to sexual reproduction. Some species can be male and female at the same time. Others can start as one sex and completely change to the other sex.
Old 10-10-17, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi

While not many of Tarantino's characters are likeable, either, they are at least interesting enough to warrant watching them. I don't mind homages. I just hate remakes for the sake of remakes because they've lost track of their franchise and want to start over.
Old 10-10-17, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just hate remakes for the sake of remakes because they've lost track of their franchise and want to start over.
I'll give something some leeway if a franchise has been driven into the ground if they want to just reboot it instead of spinning something off from the original again. If you're the director of the remake of Dawn of the Dead and pretend you're not remaking it and doing a reboot instead, then you're just straight up full of crap.

If you're remaking horror and just going to make jump scares and rely on name recognition alone for your remake, yeah, don't bother.
Old 10-10-17, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Watching my first '90s movie of the challenge, Anaconda, which I don't think I've ever seen before. Funny to see Owen Wilson in a very early role.
Old 10-10-17, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

Last night brought a first time viewing of Frankenhooker. That's one... weird... film... But I really enjoyed it!
Old 10-10-17, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
I agree, he's a shameless plagiarist. He's still doing it all the time today, he's just ripping off more obscure films.
I agree and disagree. I love Tarantino's films, and I don't think he's ever hidden the fact that he uses material from other directors, producers, DPs, writers, etc. I just think that he does the "ripping off" better than most anyone else.

Led Zeppelin and the Rolling Stones got famous and made a LOT of money ripping off old blues songs. By your logic both of those bands are shameless plagiarists as well (they also don't hide it). But I get it, believe me. You don't have to try to convince me why Tarantino is disliked; I see both sides. I'm just on the side where I'm a fan.
Old 10-10-17, 08:06 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Everything copies something before it.
Old 10-10-17, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
Led Zeppelin and the Rolling Stones got famous and made a LOT of money ripping off old blues songs. By your logic both of those bands are shameless plagiarists as well (they also don't hide it).
Damn straight.
Old 10-10-17, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

In regards to Zombie's Halloween, I know I've said this same thing in previous years. I would have liked his version a lot better if it wasn't Halloween. I didn't care to know all that about Myers' childhood. I preferred not to know, but if this were a totally original idea from Zombie with different characters, I likely would have been more open to it.

As it is, I would still probably rank Halloween as Zombie's best or second best. I think Lords of Salem benefited from him ripping off better movies/directors, but it still didn't feel fully realized. I haven't seen 31, but I know I'll see it eventually. All of his other films I have pretty much hated.
Old 10-10-17, 09:12 PM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Does anyone know the difference between Hellsing and Hellsing Ultimate?
I liked the original series (Hellsing) back when it came out, but the later Hellsing Ultimate is pretty much the definitive version of the series. That doesn't mean you won't have fun with the first. There is a lot of content in Ultimate that doesn't overlap with the first series, so you can always watch that down the line later without treading the same ground completely.
Old 10-10-17, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

Trying to get into some stuff I've had sitting on my shelves for years. I came across a bootleg of a short-lived show called Brimstone with Peter Horton. I don't even remember where I got this show, but the pilot was excellent.
Old 10-10-17, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

I have a new favorite film of the challenge... The Girl in all the photos is top notch imo
Old 10-10-17, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Trying to get into some stuff I've had sitting on my shelves for years. I came across a bootleg of a short-lived show called Brimstone with Peter Horton. I don't even remember where I got this show, but the pilot was excellent.
Brimstone, another fine genre show callously murdered by FOX. I'd list the others, but it's too depressing.
Old 10-10-17, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 235 Posts

Just logged my 25th entry. On pace for the century mark if October were 40+ days long.

There's never enough hours in the day.
Old 10-11-17, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

This evening I watched A Field in England and really enjoyed it. I'm a sucker for experimental filmmaking, and this one sated my proclivities. It was strange pairing such an artful film with the cheesy ineptitude of Yongary, Monster of the Deep.
Old 10-11-17, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

And Mother's Day makes the second Troma Blu-ray I regret purchasing. Watchable, but nothing memorable whatsoever.

Flesh-Eating Mothers was god-awful in every respect - wooden actors who had trouble reciting practically every line, the shittiest of makeup effects that made one cannibal mother resemble Cesar Romero's Joker. Loved it.

Inept film #3 was Cathy's Curse, which successfully managed to ripoff a little from The Exorcist, The Omen and Carrie. It had a bizarre made-for-TV melodrama feel about it with some of the strangest sound effects. Nothing serves any specific purpose. A beautiful mess.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.