Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WillieMLF
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only like the Welcome Package. Also remember that any preliminary codes are just that and BN could pull it, change the details or exclusions anything prior to release so always a bit of YMMV until the final release date

Mini FAQ
Coupons should not work for PREORDERS , Nook, Legos, Rosetta Stone, Digital, Gift Cards, Memberships, etc. There are glitches where sometimes an excluded item will be allowed but assume that is the exception to the rule
Free Shipping is $25 (before tax/shipping) or with membership.
Max 3 GC on a single online order.
Online only a single code can be applied to an order
Return period is 14 days after delivery (possibly 30 days for members though I've never tried)
Online ordered items can returned to a local store unless it's classified as a web-only item then it's at the store's discretion to accept
The long standing Free 60 day Trial Offer was discontinued in late May 2016

STORE ONLY 15% OFF Coupons -- Unknown if multi-use or if will work on 40% Off Items
15% OFF Single Item Exp 12/31/2017 (I)
15% OFF Single Item Exp 12/31/2017 (II)
15% OFF Single Item Exp ?? (III)

15% Single Item exp 11/6 2:59am ET -- if these are all used I can post some more.
New codes added below at least to make the bots and lurkers work a little harder. Used codes removed 3:30pm. New Codes added
Spoiler:

HAXMEZYU7FLZ6
GNLBSJZQGPR9P
X5Z8R8XWAKJP1
JD5P9RSPTEDS7
33S8AB64EUME8
T25JYEX4UAB24
LNTSFDZE8NYUA
FTA9M2GEUC1L3
5DWYS67A3RNKC
9WGF8LVSL5FVL
D8ECEK8SFWJDS
LN5726AE4DMT1
C3U1LKYGLZCX3
VUDRA2JC25KMK
8XS6GUTSXDS7S
QF467L793K3QP
RTGC3VZGZGDN7
UY2JAJ8EQTZT5
466K2XS75CPYL
JTWKS2PM3GNRK
MPJZ5TWBZM55L
1LCJA9G6DK13A
R2SYXPPPL9GS4
Y1D7UL6QEDS8S

Some possible upcoming codes
STACKED
YESANDYES
DAYMAKER
TAKEFIVE

"New Member" Welcome Coupons
Welcome coupons may be dead -- or at least the type that have been available for nearly a decade. The latest set now have what appears to be single use codes so these probably no longer will be generic/multiple use style.
Print Wikipost

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-17, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

I love Eraserhead. It's fun to see people's reactions to it. Perhaps that's why it's one of my favorite Lynch films - it always receives very extreme reactions to whomever I've shown it. I suppose most Lynch films are like that, though. And for those craving more Lynch, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me is a qualifying title.

I've gone through two Tremors movies. I guess it's fun enough for what it is, but the first movie didn't leave me craving more or anything. At this point, I'll watch at least one more for the checklist (three installments in a franchise). It sort of reminds me of what I previously said about Phantasm. It seems like a very unlikely movie to spawn a franchise with so many installments (though I much prefer Phantasm).

In regards to the checklist item for Sci-Fi/SyFy channel anniversary, the link only goes to original movies. What about MST3K episodes that first aired on Sci-Fi? I thought that might be a good alternative.
Old 10-01-17, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

Originally Posted by Surfinhank
Best Buy has apparently joined in the spirit of the challenge with a horror movie sale starting today. Worth mentioning because there are a number of Scream Factory titles priced from $12.99 to $14.99. Also a few Olive titles.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/h...te%20skuidsaas
Some good prices on a few subset films as well.

Anyone seen Sadako? I'm always tempted to blind buy 3D titles, but I'd rather not get burned if the movie is really bad.
Old 10-01-17, 10:42 AM

Received 96 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
In regards to the checklist item for Sci-Fi/SyFy channel anniversary, the link only goes to original movies. What about MST3K episodes that first aired on Sci-Fi? I thought that might be a good alternative.
I would think any original programming should qualify, so MST3K that originally aired on Sci-Fi, plus any of the horror TV shows that have been first-run on the channel. Just my opinion, of course.

But speaking of that, since I had come across a mention of the channel's first-ever original movie Homewrecker and was intrigued, I located a copy and made it available for streaming, if anyone would like to indulge.

Last edited by alyxstarr; 10-01-17 at 09:59 PM.
Old 10-01-17, 10:58 AM

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007
Poltergeist II, in hindsight, was bordering on being a pretty good sequel until that awful ending with terrible special effects.
I just watched Poltergeist II for my first movie (first time viewing) and completely agree. The ending became schlock
Old 10-01-17, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Kane makes Poltergeist 2 what it is. That was some damn good casting because that actor was creepy as hell. With another performer, I bet the film wouldn't be nearly as effective.
Old 10-01-17, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
It was a trip. Surreal, yet with plot one could follow from start to finish, but don't ask me what the plot was exactly. Think I loved it. Or maybe not. But it has me jonesing for the TV Challenge and a Twin Peaks marathon.
Yeah, I loved it, but it was certainly a challenging watch. It had some amazing shots and I was just trying to wrap my head around all of the symbolism. I can't believe it was Lynch's first movie, it was certainly bold.
Old 10-01-17, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ordered Species and Last House on the Left (original) from Best Buy. Thanks for passing the word on the sale.

For theme nights do you have to watch an entire feature or enough shorts/tv shows for it to count as a check? I thought you need to but just wanted to double check.
Old 10-01-17, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

Kane makes Poltergeist 2 what it is. That was some damn good casting because that actor was creepy as hell. With another performer, I bet the film wouldn't be nearly as effective.
He was great in that role. Under different circumstances, had the franchise been able to continue, I could have seen him as more of an icon. He was damn good.
Old 10-01-17, 01:41 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I started out the challenge this morning with Critters 4 which turned out to be surprisingly fun given that it's the last in the series. I watched one of these for each of the past few challenges and although I don't recall much about 2 and 3, looking back at my lists I found these were very consistent. Nothing great and nothing awful, just some slightly above average entertainment. It helped that a lot of the humor worked for me as well as the good creature designs.

Now it's back to Earth out Texas way. I hear that chainsaw coming ....
Old 10-01-17, 01:51 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
For theme nights do you have to watch an entire feature or enough shorts/tv shows for it to count as a check? I thought you need to but just wanted to double check.
Iirc, Chad has answered both ways over the years. Somewhere, I have a quote where even a short counts for theme and checklist compliance. The only thing requiring a full film is the subset, and for counting as one in your total of course.
Old 10-01-17, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

My Tobe Hooper watch today was Spontaneous Combustion (1990), a low-budget Firestarter rip-off that for me was much better than its reviews. The plot: an adorable young couple volunteers to be test subjects for an anti-radiation vaccine during an H-bomb test, supervised by the mom from Close Encounters shows up with a goofy German accent. After their baby is born, they suddenly burst into flame and are incinerated. Their son, played by Brad Dourif (Grima Wormtongue, voice of Chucky), grows up and discovers that he can create fires with his mind, but he has no control of his power. Hijinks ensue.
Old 10-01-17, 02:43 PM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

For Tobe Hooper day I watched 1985's Lifeforce, which was quite a ride, about humanoids in the form of naked women attempting to take over Earth, with a second half that borrows from several of writer Dan O'Bannon's more successful projects. Over the top in so many ways, including excessive performances by an interesting cast. Not at all a complete success, although Hooper seemed to be having fun. If the filmmakers spent a lot on special effects, they must have saved a lot on the female cast members' costumes.
Next: Eaten Alive.
Old 10-01-17, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

I love Eraserhead. It's fun to see people's reactions to it. Perhaps that's why it's one of my favorite Lynch films - it always receives very extreme reactions to whomever I've shown it. I suppose most Lynch films are like that, though. And for those craving more Lynch, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me is a qualifying title.
Eraserhead is one of those films you should experience in a theater at least once in your life, IMO.

And don't watch FYWM without having seen the original series first, that is, unless you want a major spoiler revealed. Assuming a David Lynch prequel plays by the rules is not a safe bet. That's worth mentioning after the confusion over House of Dark Shadows last year. And this is coming from someone who almost made it their subset choice.

Originally Posted by alyxstarr
I would think any original programming should qualify, so MST3K that originally aired on Sci-Fi, plus any of the horror TV shows that have been first-run on the channel. Just my opinion, of course.

But speaking of that, since I had come across a mention of the channel's first-ever original movie Homewrecker and was intrigued, I located a copy and made it available for streaming, if anyone would like to indulge.
I'll include a link if I can find something for just the Sci-Fi half.

And thanks, that'll make a good followup to Pulse (88) that I caught last night.

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi

Iirc, Chad has answered both ways over the years. Somewhere, I have a quote where even a short counts for theme and checklist compliance. The only thing requiring a full film is the subset, and for counting as one in your total of course.
Alright, let's settle this once and for all -- Yes, shorts count for theme nights.
Old 10-01-17, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

What better way to ring in October than partaking in the best Challenge, while your computer plays various episodes of paranormal talk radio.
Old 10-01-17, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Chad
And don't watch FYWM without having seen the original series first, that is, unless you want a major spoiler revealed. Assuming a David Lynch prequel plays by the rules is not a safe bet. That's worth mentioning after the confusion over House of Dark Shadows last year. And this is coming from someone who almost made it their subset choice.[/B]
Yes, that's very good to mention. I completely agree.
Old 10-01-17, 03:00 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Too many choices most days. I like a lot of Tobe Hooper's films, and initially was going to watch several random ones today. But the other half of me wants to just immerse myself in TCM, as I've never fully fallen in love with it and perhaps I need to give it another chance. Between the original, the subset sequel, the other sequels, the remake(?s), the audio commentaries, and the documentaries, there's probably a week's worth of potential viewing. Decisions decisions....
Old 10-01-17, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Reminder the first trivia question is tonight.

Originally Posted by Gobear
My Tobe Hooper watch today was Spontaneous Combustion (1990), a low-budget Firestarter rip-off that for me was much better than its reviews. The plot: an adorable young couple volunteers to be test subjects for an anti-radiation vaccine during an H-bomb test, supervised by the mom from Close Encounters shows up with a goofy German accent. After their baby is born, they suddenly burst into flame and are incinerated. Their son, played by Brad Dourif (Grima Wormtongue, voice of Chucky), grows up and discovers that he can create fires with his mind, but he has no control of his power. Hijinks ensue.
I could've sworn I bought this during the last Code Red sale. I did not, and I just wasted 30 minutes looking for a nonexistent title. Guess it'll be TCM2 instead.
Old 10-01-17, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Too many choices most days. I like a lot of Tobe Hooper's films, and initially was going to watch several random ones today. But the other half of me wants to just immerse myself in TCM, as I've never fully fallen in love with it and perhaps I need to give it another chance. Between the original, the subset sequel, the other sequels, the remake(?s), the audio commentaries, and the documentaries, there's probably a week's worth of potential viewing. Decisions decisions....
I'm in the middle of a marathon right now. The first took a while to grow on me as I didn't like it after the first couple of viewings. I wouldn't say it's one of my favorites, but I do enjoy it now more than I used to...

The same can be said of Parts 2 & 3, but on a smaller scale. I don't get the direction they went for Part 2, but it's got it's own charm. Next Generation is awful. 3D, which I'm in the middle of right now, is riddled with continuity problems (just within it's own movie). I remember enjoying the remakes, etc.

That said, it's not one of my favorite franchises and probably never will be, but I can definitely appreciate the original now a lot more than I used to...
Old 10-01-17, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For me it's Wild at Heart. I get more "I've been traumatized" reactions to that than Ereaserhead. I had one friend tell me months later that the film put him in such a bad mood that his marriage was on the rocks for a bit due to his sour and uncharacteristic behavior. I'm just glad he waited until things had blown over before telling me. And then one other (victim) actually became so nauseous he threw up during the movie. I was no longer the popular movie guy after that incident. I believe I was actually banned from picking or even suggesting more titles with that group of friends.

Yes. You owe me $200.
Haha! Check's in the mail ...

I just finished the audio commentary with Tobe Hooper and Gunnar Hanson for TCM 1974 and I have to say I found it quite disturbing when they laughed as Gunnar revealed that he intentionally and actually cut the finger of Marilyn Burns to feed her blood (while she's tied and gagged) since the blood prop wasn't working correctly. Ah, fun memories of on-set assault, H I L A R I O U S ...
Old 10-01-17, 03:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't done this thing since 2011, but I'm giving it a go this year. Grad school, moving, and another grad program have gotten in the way the past few years. Don't think I'll hit 100, but I'll give it a shot.
Old 10-01-17, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Since my excitement to start the challenge coincided with a rare free weekend (minus lunch with friends and household chores), I knocked two 3 hour movies out: Kwaidan and Salem's Lot (1979 miniseries). I'd seen Kwaidan a long time ago on DVD, and the new Criterion BD looks spectacular. The film's cinematography and production design are beautiful and eerie. I'm not quite sure if I'd seen Salem's Lot all the way through or not. It's an entertaining movie with a stellar cast - though a few actors basically get cameos. I also watched Cujo before it left Hulu and liked it well enough. The dog is never particularly scary unless the camera is doing horror calisthenics. However, the situation is intense and unnerving.

My experiment to see mentally figure out if I would survive the movie is... disheartening! My survival rate isn't great; basically, I could get through two segments of Kwaidan but would be reduced to a corpse in all other viewings so far. May need to find some psychological or G-rated horror so I can report making it out alive at least a few times!
Old 10-01-17, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by SethDLH
I spent most of the day at Monster Mania and while we had some time to kill this afternoon my buddy and I went across the street to see a movie (thanks Moviepass) and we decided to see how bad Friend Request could be... Don't ever watch that movie. Not for this challenge. Not for any reason. Never. I'm upset I can't even count it for the challenge. At least it was free and provided some laughs that were definitely not intended.
"It also passed Victor Frankenstein for the lowest opening gross for a film playing in over 2,500 theaters." Making only $2 million. For those reasons and a one star, I am not even going to bother lol.

Last night started the challenge going to Universal Horror Nights and has me in the mood for Chucky and Texas Chainsaw. I kind of want to break into TCM, but like Chucky, waiting for the new movie to drop to dive into all of it. Starting the challenge out with Phoenix Forgotten and it makes total sense why this was forgotten =/
Old 10-01-17, 06:27 PM

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

The wait was finally over as I got out to see It in the theater today. I have to go on a slight rant here as I have been going to the theater more since I joined MoviePass. Why is it that there are always people around me who can't stay off their phones for 2 hours? Why do they want to pay $10 for a movie then not pay attention to it? Also, the theaters that I go to have had assigned seats for a few years now, but it still seems that at every show, people have to be asked to vacate seats that are not theirs. They have to know they are assigned seats as you have to pick your seat when you purchase your ticket.
Old 10-01-17, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

My Lord, Freddy's Dead is horrible. Thankfully Craven returned to send the original Freddy (not counting FvJ) out with the bang the character deserved because New Nightmare is awesome!
Old 10-01-17, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
My Lord, Freddy's Dead is horrible. Thankfully Craven returned to send the original Freddy (not counting FvJ) out with the bang the character deserved because New Nightmare is awesome!
That's one of those movies where you have to wonder why anyone would think they're making a good movie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.