Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WillieMLF
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only like the Welcome Package. Also remember that any preliminary codes are just that and BN could pull it, change the details or exclusions anything prior to release so always a bit of YMMV until the final release date

Mini FAQ
Coupons should not work for PREORDERS , Nook, Legos, Rosetta Stone, Digital, Gift Cards, Memberships, etc. There are glitches where sometimes an excluded item will be allowed but assume that is the exception to the rule
Free Shipping is $25 (before tax/shipping) or with membership.
Max 3 GC on a single online order.
Online only a single code can be applied to an order
Return period is 14 days after delivery (possibly 30 days for members though I've never tried)
Online ordered items can returned to a local store unless it's classified as a web-only item then it's at the store's discretion to accept
The long standing Free 60 day Trial Offer was discontinued in late May 2016

STORE ONLY 15% OFF Coupons -- Unknown if multi-use or if will work on 40% Off Items
15% OFF Single Item Exp 12/31/2017 (I)
15% OFF Single Item Exp 12/31/2017 (II)
15% OFF Single Item Exp ?? (III)

15% Single Item exp 11/6 2:59am ET -- if these are all used I can post some more.
New codes added below at least to make the bots and lurkers work a little harder. Used codes removed 3:30pm. New Codes added
Spoiler:

HAXMEZYU7FLZ6
GNLBSJZQGPR9P
X5Z8R8XWAKJP1
JD5P9RSPTEDS7
33S8AB64EUME8
T25JYEX4UAB24
LNTSFDZE8NYUA
FTA9M2GEUC1L3
5DWYS67A3RNKC
9WGF8LVSL5FVL
D8ECEK8SFWJDS
LN5726AE4DMT1
C3U1LKYGLZCX3
VUDRA2JC25KMK
8XS6GUTSXDS7S
QF467L793K3QP
RTGC3VZGZGDN7
UY2JAJ8EQTZT5
466K2XS75CPYL
JTWKS2PM3GNRK
MPJZ5TWBZM55L
1LCJA9G6DK13A
R2SYXPPPL9GS4
Y1D7UL6QEDS8S

Some possible upcoming codes
STACKED
YESANDYES
DAYMAKER
TAKEFIVE

"New Member" Welcome Coupons
Welcome coupons may be dead -- or at least the type that have been available for nearly a decade. The latest set now have what appears to be single use codes so these probably no longer will be generic/multiple use style.
Print Wikipost

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-17, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

Joining in on the shameless plug for vids This (Chronological compilation, 1897-2015) vid is my favorite one I've done and I'll likely do the same again this year.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8Kxzs0UsjvQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

As for TCM's October schedule, they've often done the same pattern in recent years:
30th-Start the day with public domain horrors (They always gotta throw Dementia 13 somewhere in there) Then in the evening-to-late hours, Hammer films would take over.
31st-The Val Lewton films usually owned the morning/afternoon spot and AIP's films with Vincent Price would end the night.

It looks like (This year) they've returned to their mid/late 2000s roots by having The Haunting/House on Haunted Hill on Halloween night. Can't be sure, but I think Poltergeist had a primetime slot last year too.

BTW, don't miss the Black cats and broomsticks short on the 15th. It opens with a shot of 1950's kids in creepy costumes. Undoubtedly, the most spine-tingling thing I saw on last year's challenge!
Old 09-18-17, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

I got to thinking earlier today that it's hard to believe the Challenge starts next week. It's only a little over a week away. I can't wait and am now counting the days.
Old 09-18-17, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
TCM has quite a slate of classic horror films running in October:

https://thoughtcatalog.com/emily-mad...ll-the-horror/
Well alright, somebody took over my cherry-picking job! And they had the good sense to know "The Time Machine" is NOT horror, which TCM lists as every single year. Thanks!

I'll get this and the other updated channel links up on the first post soon.

Originally Posted by orlmac
I think we should add "watch a movie on Turner Classic Movies" this month to someplace on the checklist. I don't get TCM anymore but those are some sweet movies to choose from.
Done.

Originally Posted by brainee
Has Ghost Story of Yotsuya ever been shown on TCM before? If you guys haven't seen it, I highly recommend it. A landmark of J-horror. As is directors Nobuo Nakagawa's follow up, Jigoku (which TCM is also showing right after). That ones better known, thanks to getting the Criterion treatment. Another landmark movie, as one of the earliest "gore" horror movies (though all the nasty stuff is saved for the end of the movie).
Not to my knowledge. I'll definitely be TiVo-ing it.

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Joining in on the shameless plug for vids This (Chronological compilation, 1897-2015) vid is my favorite one I've done and I'll likely do the same again this year.
And I'll use your shameless plug to shamelessly plug the first post where said video is available in addition to lots of semi-updated goodies.

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I got to thinking earlier today that it's hard to believe the Challenge starts next week. It's only a little over a week away. I can't wait and am now counting the days.
Despite preparing for it for months, the realization has still not kicked in for me. It usually hits me the first day.
Old 09-18-17, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
Has Ghost Story of Yotsuya ever been shown on TCM before? If you guys haven't seen it, I highly recommend it. A landmark of J-horror. As is directors Nobuo Nakagawa's follow up, Jigoku (which TCM is also showing right after). That ones better known, thanks to getting the Criterion treatment. Another landmark movie, as one of the earliest "gore" horror movies (though all the nasty stuff is saved for the end of the movie).
I agree with Chad that I don't think that it's ever been shown on TCM before. However, Keisuke Kinoshita's version of the story, The Ghost of Yotsuya, Part I (a.k.a. The Yotsuda Phantom and Yotsuda Kaidan, Part I) been shown on IFC, along with The Ghost of Yotsuya, Part II (a.k.a. Shinshaku Yotsuya Kaidan: Kohen and Yotsuya Kaidan, Part II), both from 1949. I can't tell you exactly when they were shown, but I DVRed them and dumped them to DVD-R years ago.
Old 09-19-17, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was browsing Amazon Prime tonight and discovered that Seasons 1-17 of Dark Shadows is available on Prime, as well as Seasons 1 and 3 of Dark Shadows: The Beginning. There were also 2 or 3 Dark Shadows movies.
Old 09-19-17, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

Anyone got a preference on all of these "Vampire Detective" shows?

Angel
Forever Knight
Moonlight
Blood Ties

The only one I've seen is Angel, but I have a hard time believing the others will be as good. But, they're all reasonably short, too.
Old 09-19-17, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007

Angel
Forever Knight
Moonlight
Blood Ties

The only one I've seen is Angel, but I have a hard time believing the others will be as good. But, they're all reasonably short, too.
Besides Angel, I remember watching the first episode of Moonlight when it first aired and thought it was terrible. I haven't seen the others.
Old 09-19-17, 04:53 PM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by pacaway
Went to see mother! yesterday.
Spoiler:
Wow, that is one crazy movie! Not at all what I expected from that cast! The trailer says "The WTF movie of the year", and man, I totally agree!

Lots of negative reviews on IMDB though, so to each his own, I guess.
Couldn't wait and saw mother! as well, and loved it! However, I didn't think it was really a horror film...
Spoiler:
I believe that's why it did so poorly. I didn't watch any trailers or promo materials until after I saw the movie, but it was marketed as a horror movie and had a wide release, which will bring in a lot of people who are expecting something completely different. That being said, I loved this movie and can't wait to revisit it!

Also couldn't wait and saw It. That one is definitely a horror movie, and a great one at that! Looking forward to discussing it more as more people watch next month!
Old 09-19-17, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

I was browsing Amazon Prime tonight and discovered that Seasons 1-17 of Dark Shadows is available on Prime, as well as Seasons 1 and 3 of Dark Shadows: The Beginning. There were also 2 or 3 Dark Shadows movies.
I'm getting flaahbacks to last year's Dark Shadows movie and how hard it was to follow for somebody like me who has never watched the show.
Old 09-19-17, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
I'm getting flaahbacks to last year's Dark Shadows movie and how hard it was to follow for somebody like me who has never watched the show.
Even though I own it, that is why I didn't watch it. I'd rather watch the series first.
Old 09-19-17, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007

Angel
Forever Knight
Moonlight
Blood Ties

I remember watching Forever Night years after its initial run as reruns in syndication, but I couldn't tell you a single thing about it.
Old 09-19-17, 05:57 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Even though I own it, that is why I didn't watch it. I'd rather watch the series first.
Hope you have a lot of time.....
Old 09-19-17, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Speaking of Dark Shadows, I have a question for those who've watched the entire series.

I'm currently on episode #1,075 right after the "parallel time/dual time-bands" and "1995" storylines. Is it okay to watch Night of Dark Shadows at this point? I was hoping to repeat being able to watch House for last year's since it recycled the original Barnabas storyline.
Old 09-19-17, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by clckworang
Besides Angel, I remember watching the first episode of Moonlight when it first aired and thought it was terrible. I haven't seen the others.
Yeah, I can't be sure, but I think I miht have tried it back when it aired and never watched it again. May give it another show. I have 31 days.

Originally Posted by Chad
I remember watching Forever Night years after its initial run as reruns in syndication, but I couldn't tell you a single thing about it.
It's the shortest of the bunch, so I may at least watch a few episodes during October.

Ah, Dark Shadows...I have the entire series in that coffin set. It's nice. But, I'm only on disc 3. At this rate, I'll never finish it. I wish I could skip ahead to all of the supernatural stuff, but I have zero knowledge on the show's history, so when I watched that movie last year, I had no idea what was going on, either. Slow and steady...
Old 09-19-17, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Speaking of Dark Shadows, I have a question for those who've watched the entire series.

I'm currently on episode #1,075 right after the "parallel time/dual time-bands" and "1995" storylines. Is it okay to watch Night of Dark Shadows at this point? I was hoping to repeat being able to watch House for last year's since it recycled the original Barnabas storyline.
I found it to have very little connection to the rest of the series. It's a much later sequel sharing more in common with the Depp vehicle. It's chronological order in the wiki is telling.

http://darkshadows.wikia.com/wiki/Night_of_Dark_Shadows

Edit: "Night of Dark Shadows is a self-contained story and does not share continuity with either the original Dark Shadows television program or the full-length feature film, House of Dark Shadows."
Old 09-19-17, 09:39 PM

Very cool to see most of the familiar faces popping up in the list thread. Not sure how fast it usually populates, but seems like we're on track to hit our usual 100+ participants.

A couple first-time posters in there already too!
Old 09-19-17, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

For anyone waiting to see Mother in theaters for the challenge (assuming it makes it that long) I think a wildcard would be needed on it... not really a horror film.
Old 09-19-17, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrown498
I agree with Chad that I don't think that it's ever been shown on TCM before. However, Keisuke Kinoshita's version of the story, The Ghost of Yotsuya, Part I (a.k.a. The Yotsuda Phantom and Yotsuda Kaidan, Part I) been shown on IFC, along with The Ghost of Yotsuya, Part II (a.k.a. Shinshaku Yotsuya Kaidan: Kohen and Yotsuya Kaidan, Part II), both from 1949. I can't tell you exactly when they were shown, but I DVRed them and dumped them to DVD-R years ago.
Yes, there's a whole boat-load of Yotsuya ghost stories, aren't there! I think I saw the 1949 version, but I liked the 1959 version more.

The "seasons" breakdown can be confusing since, as an ongoing daily soap opera, it didn't really have "seasons". It looks every 35 episodes is what is considered a "season" for Amazon's listing.

"The Beginning" would be tough sledding for casual viewers and/or those new to Dark Shadows (especially on Amazon Prime with only a fraction of the episodes).

Where it starts being listed as just "Dark Shadows" is the introduction to Barnabas, episode 210 (which is a better starting place for newbies). The DVD set and Sci-Fi channels showing aired a useful "recap" episode that got everyone caught up on the characters and storylines. Still, being a daily soap I don't think it would be hard to get up to speed. They intentionally wanted to make it easy for new viewers to be able to join in and not feel lost (maybe after a few episodes).

Those early Barnabas episodes can still be tough for pacing at times (if you're used to how weekly shows are paced, this will seem outright glacial). By episodes 365, the show seems really to have found its stride. The pacing is much faster, and the show seems to have fully accepted its a crazy horror/fantasy/sci-fi serial with little of what "normal" soap operas would have. It's very cool that Amazon Prime has so many consecutive episodes from the show's prime (from 210 to around 900).

I don't know what it is that Amazon Prime has listed as "The Haunting of Collinwood" and "The Vampire's Curse". Are they reedits of a couple of storylines? Normally it takes dozens of episodes for a major story, but these are only 3 hours long. It does sound like a cool idea, since there has always been a lot of repetition in the regular episodes (since the producers knew some people only watched a couple of time a week). Though the editing would have to be done with some care.

Man, you're almost done! I started last October and now I'm still only at #505:
Spoiler:
we just had the cliffhanger with Adam throwing himself off Widow's Hill.

Originally Posted by Trevor
Very cool to see most of the familiar faces popping up in the list thread. Not sure how fast it usually populates, but seems like we're on track to hit our usual 100+ participants.
I'll pop in there right at the start of October. Some people seem to like being on the first page. I like being at the very end ... and I'll typically get rankled by someone that makes a list in mid October, never updating it and robbing me of my last-spot status

Last edited by brainee; 09-20-17 at 12:49 AM.
Old 09-19-17, 10:19 PM

I think it's listed as horror on IMDb.
Old 09-19-17, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SethDLH
For anyone waiting to see Mother in theaters for the challenge (assuming it makes it that long) I think a wildcard would be needed on it... not really a horror film.
It is listed as horror on imdb, but I honestly agree with you. That said, I saw it already and don't think I could sit through it again anyway.
Old 09-19-17, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Saying hi to SethDLH, Chad, Trevor and the whole gang. One of the few years that I've not been in on pre-game planning. But I will be in on the game for as much as possible. Excited to look over the categories you've ended up with.

Oh, and if there are any open spots for anything, I'll offer my input/picks.
Old 09-20-17, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by indiephantom
Late late late this year and living halfway across the world. But I'm in.
Did you move to Europe? Or are you deployed military?
Old 09-20-17, 08:48 AM

Welcome back indie! I think the themes and subsets are all done and in final formatting by Chad, but come on over to the pre-challenge thread and help us finish up the checklist.
Old 09-20-17, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you move to Europe? Or are you deployed military?
I'm actually in China. I"m under contract for a couple of years, but I'll be returning to Canada for the summers. It's been an amazing experience thus far.
Old 09-20-17, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by indiephantom

I'm actually in China. I"m under contract for a couple of years, but I'll be returning to Canada for the summers. It's been an amazing experience thus far.
Cool. I have a friend I email who lives in Shenzhen.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.