Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WillieMLF
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only like the Welcome Package. Also remember that any preliminary codes are just that and BN could pull it, change the details or exclusions anything prior to release so always a bit of YMMV until the final release date

Mini FAQ
Coupons should not work for PREORDERS , Nook, Legos, Rosetta Stone, Digital, Gift Cards, Memberships, etc. There are glitches where sometimes an excluded item will be allowed but assume that is the exception to the rule
Free Shipping is $25 (before tax/shipping) or with membership.
Max 3 GC on a single online order.
Online only a single code can be applied to an order
Return period is 14 days after delivery (possibly 30 days for members though I've never tried)
Online ordered items can returned to a local store unless it's classified as a web-only item then it's at the store's discretion to accept
The long standing Free 60 day Trial Offer was discontinued in late May 2016

STORE ONLY 15% OFF Coupons -- Unknown if multi-use or if will work on 40% Off Items
15% OFF Single Item Exp 12/31/2017 (I)
15% OFF Single Item Exp 12/31/2017 (II)
15% OFF Single Item Exp ?? (III)

15% Single Item exp 11/6 2:59am ET -- if these are all used I can post some more.
New codes added below at least to make the bots and lurkers work a little harder. Used codes removed 3:30pm. New Codes added
Spoiler:

HAXMEZYU7FLZ6
GNLBSJZQGPR9P
X5Z8R8XWAKJP1
JD5P9RSPTEDS7
33S8AB64EUME8
T25JYEX4UAB24
LNTSFDZE8NYUA
FTA9M2GEUC1L3
5DWYS67A3RNKC
9WGF8LVSL5FVL
D8ECEK8SFWJDS
LN5726AE4DMT1
C3U1LKYGLZCX3
VUDRA2JC25KMK
8XS6GUTSXDS7S
QF467L793K3QP
RTGC3VZGZGDN7
UY2JAJ8EQTZT5
466K2XS75CPYL
JTWKS2PM3GNRK
MPJZ5TWBZM55L
1LCJA9G6DK13A
R2SYXPPPL9GS4
Y1D7UL6QEDS8S

Some possible upcoming codes
STACKED
YESANDYES
DAYMAKER
TAKEFIVE

"New Member" Welcome Coupons
Welcome coupons may be dead -- or at least the type that have been available for nearly a decade. The latest set now have what appears to be single use codes so these probably no longer will be generic/multiple use style.
Print Wikipost

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Old 09-07-17, 05:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

Last year's challenge came at a bad time for me, it was the worst of my depression and not even horror films were helping. I ended up giving up and didn't watch another film for nearly 2 months (after getting on meds). Anyway, I've been off my meds for 5 months now and I'm now at uni so have almost no free time, but still looking forward to watching a handful of horror next month. Don't think I'm ever gonna reach big numbers again
Old 09-08-17, 10:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

Is anybody planning on revisiting something they've watched in previous challenges? Lately I've been thinking about rewatching The Hidden, which I watched for Challenge 5. The Twin Peaks revival made me realize how undervalued Kyle MacLachlan is as an actor. Also, some elements seem weirdly resonant in America's current political climate.
Old 09-08-17, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by nezumi
Is anybody planning on revisiting something they've watched in previous challenges? Lately I've been thinking about rewatching The Hidden, which I watched for Challenge 5. The Twin Peaks revival made me realize how undervalued Kyle MacLachlan is as an actor. Also, some elements seem weirdly resonant in America's current political climate.
The Universal Monster movies. And maybe Friday the 13th series.
Old 09-09-17, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by mightysparks
Last year's challenge came at a bad time for me, it was the worst of my depression and not even horror films were helping. I ended up giving up and didn't watch another film for nearly 2 months (after getting on meds). Anyway, I've been off my meds for 5 months now and I'm now at uni so have almost no free time, but still looking forward to watching a handful of horror next month. Don't think I'm ever gonna reach big numbers again
I really hope you have a good marathon this year. Wouldn't mind seeing another compilation vid from you as well Oh and I still need to complete the TSZDT list!!

Originally Posted by shadokitty
The Universal Monster movies.
Same. I already mentioned in the HD forum that I don't have these on Blu yet and I'm going to Best Buy next week to see if they'll have the Alex Ross Steelbooks.
Old 09-09-17, 01:51 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Is anybody planning on revisiting something they've watched in previous challenges? Lately I've been thinking about rewatching The Hidden, which I watched for Challenge 5.
I have a few that I watch every year. Trick 'r Treat and the original Halloween and The Fog, absolutely. Plus some others that rotate every few years, depending on the mood. I have so many movies on my list for next month that I had to restrain myself from some annual viewings. I get attached.

Always been a fan of The Hidden (and Kyle MacLachlan). Saw it in its original theatrical release and revisit it every several years or so. Should really add it to the collection...

The Universal Monster movies. And maybe Friday the 13th series.
I'm also planning to rewatch the Friday the 13th film series next month. It's only been 3 years since the last time I went through the set, but I was toying with the idea already when I realized we're having a Friday the 13th next month. Sealed the deal.

Anyway, I've been off my meds for 5 months now and I'm now at uni so have almost no free time, but still looking forward to watching a handful of horror next month. Don't think I'm ever gonna reach big numbers again
Numbers don't matter a bit. Enjoying yourself and some good (or even bad) films is all that matters here. I really hope you enjoy yourself! Everyone else, too!
Old 09-09-17, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm glad that I have Direct TV Now, and PlayStation Vue. Some time last year, Chiller was taken off of Dish. But with those two streaming services, I still get Chiller.
Old 09-09-17, 08:29 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts

All this talk of Rue Morgue has destroyed my former restraint, and PayPal balance. I'm a lifelong fan of magazines, and always knew that I'd love horror magazines, but have pretty much avoided them to prevent what is now happening. Three days ago I owned exactly one issue of Rue Morgue, a Horror Block trial from last year. Now, thanks to ebay, I have about 25 more on the way. Safe money is on me not only subscribing, but tracking down every back issue. Anyone have any to sell?
Old 09-09-17, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Trevor
All this talk of Rue Morgue has destroyed my former restraint, and PayPal balance. I'm a lifelong fan of magazines, and always knew that I'd love horror magazines, but have pretty much avoided them to prevent what is now happening. Three days ago I owned exactly one issue of Rue Morgue, a Horror Block trial from last year. Now, thanks to ebay, I have about 25 more on the way. Safe money is on me not only subscribing, but tracking down every back issue. Anyone have any to sell?
I never had any Rue Morgue magazines, but I still remember how happy I was when I found a giant lot of old Fangoria magazines on EBay for about $30. I need to get more, as over time, they've gone missing.
Old 09-09-17, 10:36 AM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

Last year was the same for me, for different reasons. I had gone back to work and my marriage was imploding. I'll be missing some time this challenge to finalize my divorce at the end of October. And I'll obviously still have work. Plus 4 kids without help. But I'm back on meds, but at a dose that's too low and pretty much ineffective.

Anyway, my point, I totally had one, I swear, is that this challenge is something I get super excited about. One of the very few things, honestly, with all the other crap going on. I'll probably watch less than my tiny amount last year, but who knows, maybe I'll find a huge amount of time and insomnia and hit 200. Doesn't really matter because as long as I get to participate at all, I'm happy.
Old 09-09-17, 12:34 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by PCBreakdown
Last year was the same for me, for different reasons. I had gone back to work and my marriage was imploding. I'll be missing some time this challenge to finalize my divorce at the end of October. And I'll obviously still have work. Plus 4 kids without help. But I'm back on meds, but at a dose that's too low and pretty much ineffective.

Anyway, my point, I totally had one, I swear, is that this challenge is something I get super excited about. One of the very few things, honestly, with all the other crap going on. I'll probably watch less than my tiny amount last year, but who knows, maybe I'll find a huge amount of time and insomnia and hit 200. Doesn't really matter because as long as I get to participate at all, I'm happy.
Truly sorry for these problems, and can somewhat sympathize. The beginning of the school year seems to be toughest on my daughter's behavioral issues, and I've taken to drowning myself in this Challenge to sort of escape that reality.

The camaraderie in these threads and beautiful lists always inspire me and pick up my mood. Not so much the last few years, but in the past and in other Challenges I always feel like I'm participating if I'm checking on the threads, even if I only watch a few items a month.
Old 09-09-17, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

If nothing else this horror movie challenge shows me that no matter what you do, be it watch tons of horror movies or one of life's harsher lessons, you do not have to go it alone. I've found that when I have hardships it helps to have someone to get help from - there are lots of professionals and support groups so take advantage of whatever resources are in your area. This is over simplifying problems, I know, but don't wait till things get their worst - be proactive.

I enjoy the distraction of the challenge and have been trying to pile together some of the most blunt in your face horror schlock to start with, trying to decide on some winners for early on.
Old 09-09-17, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is a Challenge where friends are always there for you. Mightysparks and PC Breakdown, you are never alone.

For those that watch Svengoolie for the Challenge, just a heads up that it has changed its time slot. It now airs at 8:00 PM Eastern Time. I hope he still airs horror movies, because tonight is a Son Of Hercules movie. Though I'm sure I'll enjoy it.
Old 09-09-17, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

I think many of us use the challenge as an escape or distraction. This year will likely be the last challenge with my dog who has been with me through all of them. His will is still there, but he's outlasting his body. It's tough - mentally and physically. Supporting the weight of a German shepherd can be exhausting. Lots of quality of life issues starting to creep into my mind. I won't be able to escape those issues during the challenge, but I can have something to partially occupy my mind. It's amazing how attached you get, especially after 13 years.
Old 09-09-17, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is a Challenge where friends are always there for you. Mightysparks and PC Breakdown, you are never alone.
Exactly. The saw is family.
Old 09-09-17, 08:05 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Couldn't hold out till Oct., had to watch the new IT and the whole family absolutely loved it.
Old 09-10-17, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by PCBreakdown

We just lost a very close friend a few weeks ago to their depression. I hope the best for y'all, as it's not easy to work through at times.

Originally Posted by Indy24LA
Couldn't hold out till Oct., had to watch the new IT and the whole family absolutely loved it.
We just came back from the mountains and the tiny little town had a one screen movie house and IT had just opened. There was a pretty large line of people waiting to buy tickets, and I'm assuming most were fleeing the Florida storm. Every inn was completely booked with Floridians, and this is the mountains of NC.
Old 09-10-17, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy24LA
I am hoping to see it October 1st during a matinee if it is still playing.
Old 09-10-17, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
I am hoping to see it October 1st during a matinee if it is still playing.
I couldn't wait... had to go see it tonight! It was good. Wish I could talk about it, but not enough have seen it yet and I wouldn't want to spoil it. I'll just say that it is nice to see a movie that doesn't hold back in order to get a PG13 rating.
Old 09-11-17, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm sure I'm the only one that cares but I like the October Vinegar Syndrome package https://vinegarsyndrome.com/shop/october-2017-package/
Old 09-11-17, 01:42 PM

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm looking forward to Demon Wind. I watched Blood Beat last year and it's... something...
Old 09-11-17, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by WillieMLF
We just lost a very close friend a few weeks ago to their depression. I hope the best for y'all, as it's not easy to work through at times.
As someone who was once hospitalized for a suicide attempt, I can speak from personal experience that seeing a professional really helps. I'm now on a bimonthly appointment schedule to see a therapist, and while I still have my down days, I am doing a lot better.
Old 09-11-17, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by pacaway
I couldn't wait... had to go see it tonight! It was good. Wish I could talk about it, but not enough have seen it yet and I wouldn't want to spoil it. I'll just say that it is nice to see a movie that doesn't hold back in order to get a PG13 rating.
I hope IT inspires a revival of serious, R-rated horror movies.
Old 09-11-17, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There is a sale on the Best Buy website, buy 2 select UHD titles for $35, that I bit on. Some of the included titles are Get Out, Split and the Brendan Fraser Mummy movies (along with other non-horror titles like ET).

I thought some of you might be interested. I know this is a time many of us stock up.

I picked up Get Out and Split and threw in the UHD for Cabin in the Woods, which wasn't part of the sale but was only $16.99.
Old 09-11-17, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Am I the only one who does more re-watching than new watching anyway?

I guess I'm a little boring, a good year for me is 50/50 old/new on 31 movies. I have to hit the best of the Hammer library (and I have a high tolerance for even the bad ones), catch The Omen and the first three Friday the 13ths, there's a few other pre-requisites as well.

(I do have that new Paul Naschy set, so at least I'll get two new movies out of that. )
Old 09-11-17, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 414 Likes on 299 Posts

I need a little refresher.

30 min tv show= 1/4 entry
60 min tv show= 1/2 entry

Simpsons Treehouse of Horror episodes are required viewing for me in October. Also I hope to catch up with The Walking Dead, I haven't seen any episodes past season 3.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.