Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WillieMLF
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only like the Welcome Package. Also remember that any preliminary codes are just that and BN could pull it, change the details or exclusions anything prior to release so always a bit of YMMV until the final release date

Mini FAQ
Coupons should not work for PREORDERS , Nook, Legos, Rosetta Stone, Digital, Gift Cards, Memberships, etc. There are glitches where sometimes an excluded item will be allowed but assume that is the exception to the rule
Free Shipping is $25 (before tax/shipping) or with membership.
Max 3 GC on a single online order.
Online only a single code can be applied to an order
Return period is 14 days after delivery (possibly 30 days for members though I've never tried)
Online ordered items can returned to a local store unless it's classified as a web-only item then it's at the store's discretion to accept
The long standing Free 60 day Trial Offer was discontinued in late May 2016

STORE ONLY 15% OFF Coupons -- Unknown if multi-use or if will work on 40% Off Items
15% OFF Single Item Exp 12/31/2017 (I)
15% OFF Single Item Exp 12/31/2017 (II)
15% OFF Single Item Exp ?? (III)

15% Single Item exp 11/6 2:59am ET -- if these are all used I can post some more.
New codes added below at least to make the bots and lurkers work a little harder. Used codes removed 3:30pm. New Codes added
Spoiler:

HAXMEZYU7FLZ6
GNLBSJZQGPR9P
X5Z8R8XWAKJP1
JD5P9RSPTEDS7
33S8AB64EUME8
T25JYEX4UAB24
LNTSFDZE8NYUA
FTA9M2GEUC1L3
5DWYS67A3RNKC
9WGF8LVSL5FVL
D8ECEK8SFWJDS
LN5726AE4DMT1
C3U1LKYGLZCX3
VUDRA2JC25KMK
8XS6GUTSXDS7S
QF467L793K3QP
RTGC3VZGZGDN7
UY2JAJ8EQTZT5
466K2XS75CPYL
JTWKS2PM3GNRK
MPJZ5TWBZM55L
1LCJA9G6DK13A
R2SYXPPPL9GS4
Y1D7UL6QEDS8S

Some possible upcoming codes
STACKED
YESANDYES
DAYMAKER
TAKEFIVE

"New Member" Welcome Coupons
Welcome coupons may be dead -- or at least the type that have been available for nearly a decade. The latest set now have what appears to be single use codes so these probably no longer will be generic/multiple use style.
Print Wikipost

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-17, 05:09 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

Originally Posted by WillieMLF
So, I have a tinny little question. I was able to watch those first two Blood Island movies on YouTube (Brides of Blood and Mad Doctor of Blood Island). I'm having trouble finding the last one, Beast Of Blood. I noticed the checklist has an item, 3 films in a franchise. Would these films qualify, or does it need to be something like the Leprechaun 'franchise'? I have the checklist pretty much so planned out without that one, but I could suffer through the last one if need be.
I love those Sam Sherman Blood films but they are really unrelated to each other in my opinion. Sam used blood in the title for marketing.
Old 10-07-17, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

Phew, that's a whole lot of singing in Universal's Phantom of the Opera. I would imagine that would work for Musical / Rock ‘n Roll Horror in the checklist?
Old 10-07-17, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
Why all the hate for Ouija? I thought it was a great teen thriller. It got ridiculous at the end, but it was as I expected. But I didn't go into the movie looking for anything good; just entertainment. And with my now 41 y/o self looking at the movie through the eyes of a 14 y/o, I thought it was great fun.

Of course it's also been a long while since I watched it, so maybe a revisit will change my mind. And this month my horror movie expectations and bar are automatically quite a bit higher. I think that may have some effect on judgment as well.
After the prologue I was expecting to like it a lot more than the negative reviews made me think I would. By the end of the movie I was desperate for it to end. It wasn't scary. It relied on cheap jump scares. There was literally no characterization. At no point did the movie try to give us a sense of who the characters were, or why we should care for them. I saw a bunch of visual motifs that were ripped off from better movies, from Blair Witch Project to Absentia. It truly was mediocre in every way. And I try to find something positive to enjoy about every horror movie I watch, but this one was truly crap, in my humble opinion. Origin of Evil was such a breath of fresh air in comparison.

Origin of Evil there's a brief moment where the Mother checks her makeup/hair in the car mirror before meeting her daughter's teacher. It was a fleeting moment but it told you that she was lonely and eager to try to form a new relationship. That's how you develop characters, there was nothing like that in Ouija.

Last edited by DaveyJoe; 10-07-17 at 07:29 PM.
Old 10-07-17, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
After the prologue I was expecting to like it a lot more than the negative reviews made me think I would. By the end of the movie I was desperate for it to end. It wasn't scary. It relied on cheap jump scares. There was literally no characterization. At no point did the movie try to give us a sense of who the characters were, or why we should care for them. I saw a bunch of visual motifs that were ripped off from better movies, from Blair Witch Project to Absentia. It truly was mediocre in every way. And I try to find something positive to enjoy about every horror movie I watch, but this one was truly crap, in my humble opinion. Origin of Evil was such a breath of fresh air in comparison.
I hated it with my entire being the first time I saw it. I'm glad I've forgotten most of what I saw. I've heard really good things about Origin of Evil, but I just can't bring myself to watch it.

There was very long time I was disparaging that WWF mirror movie, thinking it was Ouija. I was so embarrassed when someone told me they were 2 different movies. After this, I watched that WWF movie and ended up really liking it. Go figure!
Old 10-07-17, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by WillieMLF
I hated it with my entire being the first time I saw it. I'm glad I've forgotten most of what I saw. I've heard really good things about Origin of Evil, but I just can't bring myself to watch it.

There was very long time I was disparaging that WWF mirror movie, thinking it was Ouija. I was so embarrassed when someone told me they were 2 different movies. After this, I watched that WWF movie and ended up really liking it. Go figure!
If you're referring to Oculus, it's from the same director of Origin of Evil. You should watch it, it's really good!
Old 10-07-17, 08:37 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Have a new worst picture of the century, Death Row Diner (1988). F you checklist.
Old 10-07-17, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SethDLH
By 15 minutes I was hooked and liked it... enter Petra as a vampire and I loved it.
Old 10-07-17, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007
Freaks of Nature was pretty good. It took some getting used to, but it was fun.
Herzog is pretty awesome is Freaks of Nature; that was totally unexpected.
Old 10-07-17, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

I've been derailed a tiny, tiny bit since Thursday evening. I got home from Movie Night with friends to find my poor senior cat collapsed and unable to stand. So instead of throwing on a werewolf movie, I dashed her to an emergency vet and didn't get home until 2:00 Friday morning. The things we do for our beloved pets!

Warning: Spoilers ahead: This brings me to The Other, a film I watched this afternoon.
Spoiler:
The film features a child falling into a well and dying while trying to kill a cat. I don't think I've ever gotten satisfaction from a fictional kid's death, but I'll admit that this little ghoul's demise gave me a little smile.

I've also been rewatching Stranger Things in preparation for the second season, and it's just as good as I remember.
Old 10-07-17, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Heads up--

I was browsing Vudu's selection of "Free with Ads" movies, and I noticed that both Hobgoblins and Dolls are available for free streaming.

I just thought that someone might like to know, since they're both upcoming subset films.
Old 10-07-17, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

Hobgoblins is also on youtube
Old 10-07-17, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
I've been derailed a tiny, tiny bit since Thursday evening. I got home from Movie Night with friends to find my poor senior cat collapsed and unable to stand. So instead of throwing on a werewolf movie, I dashed her to an emergency vet and didn't get home until 2:00 Friday morning. The things we do for our beloved pets!

Warning: Spoilers ahead: This brings me to The Other, a film I watched this afternoon.
Spoiler:
The film features a child falling into a well and dying while trying to kill a cat. I don't think I've ever gotten satisfaction from a fictional kid's death, but I'll admit that this little ghoul's demise gave me a little smile.

I've also been rewatching Stranger Things in preparation for the second season, and it's just as good as I remember.

I'm sorry and hope she'll be ok. My boxer had his physical a few days ago and got a decent report, but lately he hasn't been eating as much. It worries me some as he is going on 8 years old.

On another note, my niece was very lucky today. My sister took her to see It. I probably won't be able to see it till it comes out on Blu Ray and DVD.
Old 10-07-17, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

This afternoon I was in the mood for a kaiju movie, so I pulled out my War Of The Monsters set, which has six Showa Gamera films, and watched the first movie in the set, Gammera The Invincible.

I might do a Resident Evil marathon tomorrow, seeing as how it is zombie day. A few months ago, I bought the Complete Collection on Google Play.

Right now I'm just about on pace to hit my goal of 100. I'm sitting at 26 right now.
Old 10-07-17, 10:37 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

i was trying to decide what to watch next when I saw
Originally Posted by SethDLH
Fender Bender is a solid little home invasion slasher. Nothing groundbreaking just a good job doing a classic style of horror.
Originally Posted by indiephantom
Yeah, checked that out for last year's challenge and it was worthwhile.
so I popped it in. I totally agree, this was very well done and even kind of got to me. After it was over, I had to check all the windows and doors - of course by then it would have been too late.

I picked up the BD as a blind buy at a nice price from Hamilton Books during a pre-challenge shopping spree.
Old 10-07-17, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think my lack of sleep is catching up to me...less than an hour to go on this movie and I'm crashing for the night.
Old 10-07-17, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Having lots of fun with my challenge, even though I'm able to be only partially active this year. Sickness caught up with me this week, too, but I have hit the eight movie/TV show mark pretty effectively. Started Gerald's Game and it is pretty freakin' awesome so far.
Old 10-07-17, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 416 Likes on 301 Posts

Went to the theater and watched It again. Came home to throw in the 90's version. It's not as easy to sit through after seeing the excellent new version (for the 2nd time).
I just came home from seeing IT again as well, I wanted to see it again, and include it for the challenge. Part of me still wants to watch the TV version, but I feel like it would just be watered down in comparison.
Old 10-07-17, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
I just came home from seeing IT again as well, I wanted to see it again, and include it for the challenge. Part of me still wants to watch the TV version, but I feel like it would just be watered down in comparison.
It doesn't stand the test of time. The part when they were kids wasn't all that bad, but when they're adults, all they really did was stand around and talk about when they were kids. I used to think Tim Curry was frightening in the role, but there's really nothing about the old version that's better than the new one. And that's coming from someone who usually hates remakes on principle.
Old 10-07-17, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by omike
i was trying to decide what to watch next when I saw

so I popped it in. I totally agree, this was very well done and even kind of got to me. After it was over, I had to check all the windows and doors - of course by then it would have been too late.

I picked up the BD as a blind buy at a nice price from Hamilton Books during a pre-challenge shopping spree.
Glad you liked it! I too picked it up cheap and thought it was well worth the money.
Old 10-07-17, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 416 Likes on 301 Posts

I'm finishing my night by watching Cabin Fever and its Remake back to back. I like the original for the comedy, but the remake has better gore effects, kills, and I like the lake house location as a better setting for the movie.
Old 10-08-17, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

Hobgoblins is also on youtube
Or hosted by Elvira for free on Vudu as previously mentioned.
Old 10-08-17, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Mark of the Witch is pretty tame compared to other 70s witchcraft films, but not bad at all considering it's a student-made film from Dallas of all places.

Moontrap was an absolute blast. Robotic aliens hidden on the dark side of the moon using humans for spare parts ...isn't that the plot of Virus? My only question is why the hell does Chekov get top billing over Bruce Campbell?
Old 10-08-17, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mindwarp is weird! It's like if you threw Army of Darkness, Logan's Run, and Hell Comes to Frogtown into a blender... and added a plot-important food processor! It was a blind buy from one of the Twilight Time sales, and it was worth all $10 that I spent on it. Bruce Campbell and Angus Scrimm lend some horror cred to the affair which was helpful, cause I wasn't sure it was a horror film until quite a bit in. However, it get gleefully bloody and grotesque.
Old 10-08-17, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I'm sorry and hope she'll be ok. My boxer had his physical a few days ago and got a decent report, but lately he hasn't been eating as much. It worries me some as he is going on 8 years old.

On another note, my niece was very lucky today. My sister took her to see It. I probably won't be able to see it till it comes out on Blu Ray and DVD.
Thanks! Hope your boxer regains his appetite. My cat is 18 and has been in excellent health until recently.

I need to go see It! I've heard such good things, but I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to seeing horror films in the theater. If I get scared at home, I can turn on a lamp or take a breather.
Old 10-08-17, 02:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, just looking through the theme's list and wondering if it's kosher to use a movie multiple times. I've looked for an answer a bit but can't find it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.