Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WillieMLF
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only like the Welcome Package. Also remember that any preliminary codes are just that and BN could pull it, change the details or exclusions anything prior to release so always a bit of YMMV until the final release date

Mini FAQ
Coupons should not work for PREORDERS , Nook, Legos, Rosetta Stone, Digital, Gift Cards, Memberships, etc. There are glitches where sometimes an excluded item will be allowed but assume that is the exception to the rule
Free Shipping is $25 (before tax/shipping) or with membership.
Max 3 GC on a single online order.
Online only a single code can be applied to an order
Return period is 14 days after delivery (possibly 30 days for members though I've never tried)
Online ordered items can returned to a local store unless it's classified as a web-only item then it's at the store's discretion to accept
The long standing Free 60 day Trial Offer was discontinued in late May 2016

STORE ONLY 15% OFF Coupons -- Unknown if multi-use or if will work on 40% Off Items
15% OFF Single Item Exp 12/31/2017 (I)
15% OFF Single Item Exp 12/31/2017 (II)
15% OFF Single Item Exp ?? (III)

15% Single Item exp 11/6 2:59am ET -- if these are all used I can post some more.
New codes added below at least to make the bots and lurkers work a little harder. Used codes removed 3:30pm. New Codes added
Spoiler:

HAXMEZYU7FLZ6
GNLBSJZQGPR9P
X5Z8R8XWAKJP1
JD5P9RSPTEDS7
33S8AB64EUME8
T25JYEX4UAB24
LNTSFDZE8NYUA
FTA9M2GEUC1L3
5DWYS67A3RNKC
9WGF8LVSL5FVL
D8ECEK8SFWJDS
LN5726AE4DMT1
C3U1LKYGLZCX3
VUDRA2JC25KMK
8XS6GUTSXDS7S
QF467L793K3QP
RTGC3VZGZGDN7
UY2JAJ8EQTZT5
466K2XS75CPYL
JTWKS2PM3GNRK
MPJZ5TWBZM55L
1LCJA9G6DK13A
R2SYXPPPL9GS4
Y1D7UL6QEDS8S

Some possible upcoming codes
STACKED
YESANDYES
DAYMAKER
TAKEFIVE

"New Member" Welcome Coupons
Welcome coupons may be dead -- or at least the type that have been available for nearly a decade. The latest set now have what appears to be single use codes so these probably no longer will be generic/multiple use style.
Print Wikipost

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-17, 07:46 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

What a strange comment! Especially on day two, when many people haven't even updated their lists yet.
Old 10-02-17, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 303 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

Originally Posted by wackyblacky
I thought this challenge was going to be awesome but everybody watches the same stupid movies they watch every year. There seems to be zero originality out there. It kills me how somebody has to use a wild card because there is only over 17 000 horror films to choose from. How can you have a grey area? It kills me even more how people watch TV shows for the MOVIE CHALLENGE. Why not get into a TV show challenge then you can watch a movie in that one just to be against the grain. Don't even get me started on the people that watch 14 movies in one day. These people have it on the TV while they go about their day catching a glimpse now and then of their favourite part because they have already watched it 32 times. I know a lot of people feel the way I do but don't want to say anything. I know this is supposed to be fun but it makes me sick to my stomach. Enjoy the challenge everyone.
How can you comment on what everyone watches every year when your a new member?
Old 10-02-17, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobear
My Tobe Hooper watch today was Spontaneous Combustion (1990), a low-budget Firestarter rip-off that for me was much better than its reviews. The plot: an adorable young couple volunteers to be test subjects for an anti-radiation vaccine during an H-bomb test, supervised by the mom from Close Encounters shows up with a goofy German accent. After their baby is born, they suddenly burst into flame and are incinerated. Their son, played by Brad Dourif (Grima Wormtongue, voice of Chucky), grows up and discovers that he can create fires with his mind, but he has no control of his power. Hijinks ensue.
I love this movie and also watched it yesterday. I feel like a few of the elements influenced the Fallout games, including the use of "I Don't Want to Set the World on Fire" and the nuclear family prologue. The ending felt a bit abrupt but I always have a blast while watching this, there's something so entertaining about Brad Douriff losing his shit and raging.

Unfortunately I'm behind on my list because I kicked off the weekend by being sick as hell with a bad cough and no voice. I look forward to this all year, of course my luck would go south at the very start of the month.

Planning on watching C.H.U.D. when I get off work in two hours.
Old 10-02-17, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
That was back when they did theatrical releases.

Eventually they blew their load on unsuccessful movies, then reimaged themselves to be the anti-Hollywood they are today, even though they didn't complain when they were making movies people were buying tickets for.
I was looking on Wikipedia and apparently failing to recoup the $3 million budget from Troma's War really put them in the red. It's interesting how their bad decision making forced them to forego theatrical releases while Full Moon made the conscious decision to release their product straight-to-VHS and take advantage of the thriving home video market (at the time) and were successful.

Originally Posted by Lennyrogers213
I’m already behind schedule on the challenge, for September 30th dusk, and Day 1 in October. Can I catchup and get retro-credit?
Yeah, of course. Reserving your spot later or getting your list up a little late is no big deal. I didn't update mine until earlier today.

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Another I've been looking for follows this story line:

A young man's car breaks down during a stormy night. He sees a house up the hill and walks there to ask for help. A beautiful girl invites him in, he stays the night (or two? - been too long and I'm vague on this part) and is witness to several horrific events, several of which are either sourced from or borrowed by other films. When he's told the car has been brought to the garage and is now repaired he readies to leave. He's fallen in love and wants the girl to go with him. To escape the house. But she repeatedly tells him she can never leave as she's bound to the house. He finally talks her into leaving and they head out. As they cross the boundaries of the yard and go through the gate, he looks back to tell her everything will be OK only to find she's turned into a pile of dust!
I seriously doubt it's what you're referring to, but that instantly reminded me of that godawful (or so bad, it's good; can't remember) movie Ghost Fever with Sherman Hemsley due to the "bound to the house" part:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2nJ1xmkG3UU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-02-17, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Having a rough start for the challenge so far. Working the weekend + some NFL games put me behind a bit. But I have a few days off coming up to gain some ground.
Old 10-02-17, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

I just watched Lair of the White Worm for the first time. That is one really odd movie. I think I liked it but really need to see it again to know for sure. Hugh Grant was a hoot!

I'm now about to watch Killer Klowns from Outer Space for the first time.
Old 10-02-17, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I think this is a new record. Day 2 of the Challenge, and there is already drama ensuing.
Old 10-02-17, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by numbercrunch
hmm. that story line is very similar. do you remember any of the actors?
Not a one. Keep in mind that I was maybe 10 or 11 when I saw the film - way back in the mid 60s. Back then I really didn't pay much attention to names of actors in horror films unless it was one of the "big" names, plus that was a loooooong time ago!

Knowing one of the actors' names would go a long way towards finding the film name. I do know there were no "big name" horror stars, or at least none I knew of at the time, in the film.

One of the scenes I remember was someone putting a body in a vat of acid and the bones floating to the surface. It was similar, but not identical, to the one in House on Haunted Hill. I know I'm not confusing it with HoHH as I saw the one in question first and distinctly remember seeing that "same" scene in HoHH and thought they were ripping off that other movie. Plus I was rather bored by HoHH and thought the other film was more frightening.
Old 10-02-17, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

I went to see the new restoration of Suspiria in the theater, and it is amazing! I watched the film a couple years ago on DVD and enjoyed it, but there's a lot to be said for seeing such a stylish treat on the big screen. Jessica Harper is absolutely adorable as the constantly endangered ingenue, and Joan Bennett is great as the enigmatic ballet vice-director. I know I'm preaching to the choir!

When I left the theater, it was dark and I was driving behind a truck that I thought contained a very still dog. To my horror, I realized I was staring into the dead eyes of a stuffed bobcat! It was a bit of surreality that excellently capped seeing a surreal film.
Old 10-02-17, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

Finished up Beyond the Gates. I'm mixed on this one. The low budget was glaringly obvious and I wasn't really sold on the lead actor, but I liked the supporting cast and the score. Barbara Crampton still looks great and will be the most memorable thing from the movie. It started out good, but just went off the rails at the end and didn't seem to know where to run with the plot.
Old 10-02-17, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007
Finished up Beyond the Gates. I'm mixed on this one. The low budget was glaringly obvious and I wasn't really sold on the lead actor, but I liked the supporting cast and the score. Barbara Crampton still looks great and will be the most memorable thing from the movie. It started out good, but just went off the rails at the end and didn't seem to know where to run with the plot.
I watched that one a few weeks ago and I also found it disappointing. The best part was the opening credits. I'm digging all of the 80s nostalgia in the genre right now, but this one was a miss.
Old 10-02-17, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
I watched that one a few weeks ago and I also found it disappointing. The best part was the opening credits. I'm digging all of the 80s nostalgia in the genre right now, but this one was a miss.
I love the 80's renaissance as well, but Stranger Things is the one I've seen get it the most correct so far. I'm counting down to the 27th for Season 2.
Old 10-02-17, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

I thought this challenge was going to be awesome but everybody watches the same stupid movies they watch every year. There seems to be zero originality out there. It kills me how somebody has to use a wild card because there is only over 17 000 horror films to choose from. How can you have a grey area? It kills me even more how people watch TV shows for the MOVIE CHALLENGE. Why not get into a TV show challenge then you can watch a movie in that one just to be against the grain. Don't even get me started on the people that watch 14 movies in one day. These people have it on the TV while they go about their day catching a glimpse now and then of their favourite part because they have already watched it 32 times. I know a lot of people feel the way I do but don't want to say anything. I know this is supposed to be fun but it makes me sick to my stomach. Enjoy the challenge everyone.
Old 10-02-17, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking forward to this year. I watched TCM 2 and Eaten Alive yesterday. RIP Mr. Hooper but I'm respectfully not a huge fan of his work. They were both first time viewings and while I don't hate them, I just don't find myself to be as much as a fan of Hoopers work as others seem to be. I actually fell asleep during Eaten Alive and had to finish it up when I got up from my snooze.

Last edited by BadNewsBeards; 10-02-17 at 10:43 PM.
Old 10-02-17, 11:27 PM

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Who cares how other people enjoy the challenge? They are having fun and that's the point.
Old 10-02-17, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
I went to see the new restoration of Suspiria in the theater, and it is amazing! I watched the film a couple years ago on DVD and enjoyed it, but there's a lot to be said for seeing such a stylish treat on the big screen. Jessica Harper is absolutely adorable as the constantly endangered ingenue, and Joan Bennett is great as the enigmatic ballet vice-director. I know I'm preaching to the choir!

When I left the theater, it was dark and I was driving behind a truck that I thought contained a very still dog. To my horror, I realized I was staring into the dead eyes of a stuffed bobcat! It was a bit of surreality that excellently capped seeing a surreal film.
I'm seeing it next month. It's my favorite film and I couldn't be more excited for the restoration. I've been waiting for it for about 4 years now ha!
Old 10-03-17, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

I must admit, I am a little boozed up right now, but I am really digging this Scream tv series.
Old 10-03-17, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Houses October Built was a first-time viewing for me. The Porcelain girl was the best part of this, but I think this "found footage" movie suffers from too much darkness, not in a symbolic sense, but more of a "I can't even see what's happening" sense.

I decided to get the subset title out of the way in a late night viewing of Amer. I don't really know what I just watched. Some girl just wandered around for an hour and half and there was lots of breathing and very little talking. I won't spoil the ending here, but this felt like a waste of time. I can enjoy a good arthouse flick just as much as anyone, but this wasn't my cup of tea.
Old 10-03-17, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Have we had a challenge troll before?
Old 10-03-17, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Got done with The Climax starring Karloff earlier. Though It's got the Horror-keyword from imdb (Plus the trailer appears on my FESTIVAL OF FRIGHT disc) it was barely even a thriller....And you thought Claude Rains' Phantom of the Opera had too much operatic singing in it!
Old 10-03-17, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Got done with The Climax starring Karloff earlier. Though It's got the Horror-keyword from imdb (Plus the trailer appears on my FESTIVAL OF FRIGHT disc) it was barely even a thriller....And you thought Claude Rains' Phantom of the Opera had too much operatic singing in it!
The Climax was made so they could take advantage of the sets created for Phantom.... I have both but don't remember anything about The Climax. Since I don't care for the 1943 Phantom... I'll not bother digging it out just to satisfy my curiosity.
Old 10-03-17, 06:05 AM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Not a one. Keep in mind that I was maybe 10 or 11 when I saw the film - way back in the mid 60s. Back then I really didn't pay much attention to names of actors in horror films unless it was one of the "big" names, plus that was a loooooong time ago!

Knowing one of the actors' names would go a long way towards finding the film name. I do know there were no "big name" horror stars, or at least none I knew of at the time, in the film.

One of the scenes I remember was someone putting a body in a vat of acid and the bones floating to the surface. It was similar, but not identical, to the one in House on Haunted Hill. I know I'm not confusing it with HoHH as I saw the one in question first and distinctly remember seeing that "same" scene in HoHH and thought they were ripping off that other movie. Plus I was rather bored by HoHH and thought the other film was more frightening.

Stuff like this drives me nuts so i am on a mission now. This sounds alot like a low budget 70s independent film i recently watched called the Dungeon of Harrow (1964). Directed by Pat Boyette.

could it be that?
Old 10-03-17, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

I just finished a documentary called The Blackout Experiments. Not the best movie but the topic being covered was interesting. It focused on these people whip grow obsessed with blackout, this extreme haunted house-type experience. I say type because it's not
set up as supernatural or anything like that, but it is definitely designed to frighten and unnerve participants. From what we see, it's a lot of humiliation and violence, often based on intimate details about your life. The performers are allowed to touch the people and get pretty rough. Participants are required to sign a waiver.

Anyone here ever do something like blackout? I don't think I could ever do something like that but would definitely be curious about other people's experiences.
Old 10-03-17, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

I just watched Lair of the White Worm for the first time. That is one really odd movie. I think I liked it but really need to see it again to know for sure. Hugh Grant was a hoot!

I'm now about to watch Killer Klowns from Outer Space for the first time.
I thought I was close to showing this to my oldest son for the first time. Then IT was released. Scary clowns don't seem funny to him right now!

I watched the Amicus movie Asylum last night. I remember disliking this movie years ago (I don't normally care for anthologies) but I really enjoyed it this time. It has that British charm.
Old 10-03-17, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 303 Posts

I'm starting off the morning with Beetlejuice, I haven't seen it in years and one scene really surprised. When Alec Baldwin and Geena Davis are first introduced to Beetlejuice in their model cemetary in their attic, Keaton shouts out "Nice fucking model". This was in 1988, but kind of shocking since its a PG movie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.