Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WillieMLF
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only like the Welcome Package. Also remember that any preliminary codes are just that and BN could pull it, change the details or exclusions anything prior to release so always a bit of YMMV until the final release date

Mini FAQ
Coupons should not work for PREORDERS , Nook, Legos, Rosetta Stone, Digital, Gift Cards, Memberships, etc. There are glitches where sometimes an excluded item will be allowed but assume that is the exception to the rule
Free Shipping is $25 (before tax/shipping) or with membership.
Max 3 GC on a single online order.
Online only a single code can be applied to an order
Return period is 14 days after delivery (possibly 30 days for members though I've never tried)
Online ordered items can returned to a local store unless it's classified as a web-only item then it's at the store's discretion to accept
The long standing Free 60 day Trial Offer was discontinued in late May 2016

STORE ONLY 15% OFF Coupons -- Unknown if multi-use or if will work on 40% Off Items
15% OFF Single Item Exp 12/31/2017 (I)
15% OFF Single Item Exp 12/31/2017 (II)
15% OFF Single Item Exp ?? (III)

15% Single Item exp 11/6 2:59am ET -- if these are all used I can post some more.
New codes added below at least to make the bots and lurkers work a little harder. Used codes removed 3:30pm. New Codes added
Spoiler:

HAXMEZYU7FLZ6
GNLBSJZQGPR9P
X5Z8R8XWAKJP1
JD5P9RSPTEDS7
33S8AB64EUME8
T25JYEX4UAB24
LNTSFDZE8NYUA
FTA9M2GEUC1L3
5DWYS67A3RNKC
9WGF8LVSL5FVL
D8ECEK8SFWJDS
LN5726AE4DMT1
C3U1LKYGLZCX3
VUDRA2JC25KMK
8XS6GUTSXDS7S
QF467L793K3QP
RTGC3VZGZGDN7
UY2JAJ8EQTZT5
466K2XS75CPYL
JTWKS2PM3GNRK
MPJZ5TWBZM55L
1LCJA9G6DK13A
R2SYXPPPL9GS4
Y1D7UL6QEDS8S

Some possible upcoming codes
STACKED
YESANDYES
DAYMAKER
TAKEFIVE

"New Member" Welcome Coupons
Welcome coupons may be dead -- or at least the type that have been available for nearly a decade. The latest set now have what appears to be single use codes so these probably no longer will be generic/multiple use style.
Print Wikipost

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-17, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

I kicked off today's Challenge viewing with my movie for today's theme. It was a hard choice, as I had a few different movies available to me for the theme, but in the end I went with Caltiki, The Immortal Monster, which is available on YouTube. I went with that movie, because I had been wanting to watch it ever since it was suggested as a subset movie in the now defunct 50s theme. I had heard of it a long time ago, when I read about it in a book called Encyclopedia Of Monsters, and I had always wanted to see it. I enjoyed the movie very much.
Old 10-02-17, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

My theme movie for today is The Abominable Dr. Phibes, one of my all-time favorite Vincent Price movies, followed by his 1954 film House of Wax.
Old 10-02-17, 12:03 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I've noticed that audio commentaries and making of documentaries tend to elevate my overall feelings for a film above my initial "blind" impressions. I guess that means I'm easily manipulated, but I'll go with empathetic.
That happens to me as well although the effect seems stronger when I don't care for a movie too much at first. Finding out about things like creator intent, technical aspects like camera angles or lighting, behind the scenes stories, problems during filming or even just enthusiasm for a project or putting a film in some kind of context can all make me appreciate a movie more.

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I kicked off today's Challenge viewing with my movie for today's theme. It was a hard choice, as I had a few different movies available to me for the theme, but in the end I went with Caltiki, The Immortal Monster, which is available on YouTube. I went with that movie, because I had been wanting to watch it ever since it was suggested as a subset movie in the now defunct 50s theme. I had heard of it a long time ago, when I read about it in a book called Encyclopedia Of Monsters, and I had always wanted to see it. I enjoyed the movie very much.
Hey, that's the movie I started with today too. I'd seen it before and knew I liked it but the version I had seen was a tape off one of the pay channels from a long time ago. Kind of fuzzy and full frame. This time I watched a Blu-ray version and it made a huge difference, especially in those great sets at the beginning. Now I really like it. I got to wondering though if totally destroying a bunch of giant amoeba creatures using flame throwers counts as Death by Fire for the checklist.
Old 10-02-17, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Great shirt; you must have one laid back work environment.
I'm one of the C.H.U.Ds of IT.

Originally Posted by clckworang
I thought runtime might have been a factor as well.
That's what it was.

The rule about not watching the same thing more than once was to force people to watch different things. I think if someone wants to watch something more than once, maybe once solo but the it's so great they want to watch with friends, it shouldn't be an issue and it should count.
Old 10-02-17, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Day 1 post is up! Cult Of Chucky (full blu-ray review coming as well), The Invisible Ghost, The Trail Of Dracula and After Midnight. http://celluloidterror.blogspot.com/...nge-day-1.html
Old 10-02-17, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

^ and ^^
That's one benefit of a poor memory. Every film I watch is new to me!
One of my many theme songs... The guys at the LCS or office will start to talk about a comic or film, stop and ask me "Are you reading/going to watch this?" and I answer: "I won't remember anything specific after a week or so and it'll be longer than that before I get around to reading/watching it so go ahead."

I started with yet another in the "Family curse causes young girl to turn into a predatory cat" films - Cat Girl (1957). It's an enjoyable remake of sorts of Tourneur's Cat People.

I keep looking for a few films I watched in my youth that left a lasting impression and keep coming up empty. This one looked promising as it has a large black panther on the cover, as do all the others, and that's one of the main things I recall - but it's not the one. It's also not Jacques Tourneur's Cat People (1942) or The Curse of the Cat People (1944). One of these days...

Another I've been looking for follows this story line:

A young man's car breaks down during a stormy night. He sees a house up the hill and walks there to ask for help. A beautiful girl invites him in, he stays the night (or two? - been too long and I'm vague on this part) and is witness to several horrific events, several of which are either sourced from or borrowed by other films. When he's told the car has been brought to the garage and is now repaired he readies to leave. He's fallen in love and wants the girl to go with him. To escape the house. But she repeatedly tells him she can never leave as she's bound to the house. He finally talks her into leaving and they head out. As they cross the boundaries of the yard and go through the gate, he looks back to tell her everything will be OK only to find she's turned into a pile of dust!

I watched the credits closely because I wanted to remember the name of the film. I'm fairly sure it was called "The House on Haunted Hill" but that's also the name of the Vincent Price film, which shares one of the events in this one, but most definitely not the conclusion. It's no great film by any stretch but I'd like to see it again just for that ending. It impressed me as a ~11 year old as I'd not seen too many films at the time that didn't have some type of "happy" ending and I thought that was pretty cool having the girl age (although you don't see that part) and turn into dust.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 10-02-17 at 01:28 PM.
Old 10-02-17, 01:50 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

^ Bob has given us two mysteries. I'm thinking it's a trick to distract us and let him pass us up!

j/k, and that second one sounds fun; I hope we figure it out.
Old 10-02-17, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BobO'Link

I keep looking for a few films I watched in my youth that left a lasting impression and keep coming up empty. This one looked promising as it has a large black panther on the cover, as do all the others, and that's one of the main things I recall - but it's not the one. It's also not Jacques Tourneur's Cat People (1942) or The Curse of the Cat People (1944). One of these days...
Could it be The Leopard Man, another Tourneur film?

A young man's car breaks down during a stormy night. He sees a house up the hill and walks there to ask for help. A beautiful girl invites him in, he stays the night (or two? - been too long and I'm vague on this part) and is witness to several horrific events, several of which are either sourced from or borrowed by other films. When he's told the car has been brought to the garage and is now repaired he readies to leave. He's fallen in love and wants the girl to go with him. To escape the house. But she repeatedly tells him she can never leave as she's bound to the house. He finally talks her into leaving and they head out. As they cross the boundaries of the yard and go through the gate, he looks back to tell her everything will be OK only to find she's turned into a pile of dust!
That sounds like the original 1960s Outer Limits episode "The Guests."

Last edited by Gobear; 10-02-17 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-02-17, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
Started with an all time favorite: Castle of the Walking Dead, with Christopher Lee, Karin Dior, and Lex Barker. My DVD is a crappy VHS rip and I still watch it every year. It's very PG at the end of the day but I consider it a classic.

Caught Full Moon of the Virgins after that. I was sitting there like, man, this movie is familiar. Then Rosalba Neri rose out of her crypt naked, dripping in blood, and I was like, OH, now I remember ( )....this is the Devil's Wedding Night! I've seen this already!

Damn you Euro-horror and your multiple titles!
Thanks for the "new" film, Castle of the Walking Dead! But it, too, suffers from "multiple title syndrome!" It's also called Torture Chamber of Dr. Sadism and is available for free Prime streaming. I watched it this afternoon and thought it was great fun! At one point I truly thought our heroine was going to come out of her dress! It was also neat seeing Lex Barker in something other than a Tarzan film! That streaming version has a few issues, mostly some very noticeable aliasing, but overall looks pretty good, and it's in WS (although non-anamorphic). There's a MOD (from "Desert Island Classics") that, supposedly, is not too bad... I may order a copy.
Old 10-02-17, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Watching Poltergeist II and decided to read the IMDB bio of the Poltergeist Girl... I think there is something in my eye.

Spoiler:
Heather Michele O'Rourke was born on December 27, 1975 in Santee, San Diego, California, to Kathleen, a seamstress, and Michael O'Rourke, a construction worker. She had German, Danish, English, and Irish ancestry.

Heather entered American cinematic pop-culture before first grade. She was sitting alone in the MGM Commissary waiting for her mother when a stranger approached her asking her name. "My name is Heather O'Rourke," she said. "But you're a stranger, and I can't talk to you". When her mother returned, the stranger introduced himself as Steven Spielberg. She failed her first audition when she laughed at a stuffed animal Spielberg presented her with. He thought she was just too young (she had just turned five), and he was actually looking for a girl at least 6 years old, but he saw something in her and asked her to come in a second time with a scary story book. He asked her to scream a lot. She screamed until she broke down in tears. The next day at the commissary, Spielberg told her and her family, "I don't know what it is about her, but she's got the job." She instantly became a star overnight and was easily recognized at her favorite theme park, Disneyland, and everywhere in California. In the years that followed, Heather was a familiar face on TV in Happy Days (1974) (1982-1983), Webster (1983) (1983-1984), and The New Leave It to Beaver (1983) (1986-1987), three shows in which she had recurring roles. In 1986, the highly anticipated sequel to her first movie, Poltergeist (1982), Poltergeist II: The Other Side (1986) debuted in theaters; it was her riveting performance in this film that cemented her a place in Hollywood history. In January 1987, Heather began to have flu-like symptoms and her legs and feet swelled. She was taken to Kaiser Hospital, and they confirmed it was only the flu, but when symptoms continued, they diagnosed her as having Crohn's Disease, a chronic inflammation of the intestine. She was on medication throughout the filming of her next project, Poltergeist III (1988), and her cheeks were puffy in some scenes. She never complained during filming and did not appear sick to fellow cast members.

When filming was completed in June, Heather and her family went on a road trip from Chicago, to New Orleans, to Orlando and all the way back to Lakeside where they lived at the time. Heather was well until January 31, 1988, Super Bowl Sunday. She was unable to keep anything in her stomach and crawled into bed with her parents that night, saying that she didn't feel well. The next morning, February 1, sitting at the breakfast table, she couldn't swallow her toast or Gatorade. Her mother noticed her fingers were blue and her hands were cold. Kathleen called the doctor's and was getting ready to put her clothes on when Heather fainted on the kitchen floor. When the paramedics came in, Heather insisted that she was "really okay" and was worried about missing school that day. In the ambulance, Heather suffered cardiac arrest and died on the operating table at 2:43 p.m. at the tender age of 12. Of all her achievements, Heather was proudest of being elected student body president of her 5th grade class in 1985.
Old 10-02-17, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Caught a [surprising-to-me] first time viewing of The Toxic Avenger this morning. Apparently I haven't watched any of them; only bits and pieces on cable over the years. It was actually a well-produced film, at least by Troma standards. Too bad they don't make more like this. It's still hard to believe a Saturday morning kids cartoon materialized from this.

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
In the C.H.U.D. subset film thread Trevor asked about the ruling on counting multiple cuts of a movie.
I'm drawing a serious blank right now, despite it being brought every year. And why it's not mentioned on the first post is beyond me. That post has been seriously neglected; it's a barren wasteland of dead links that needs a major overhauling. I'll see what I can find.

Speaking of the OP, I see your promise for a results thread Chad. Awesome!
And the main incentive to start updating.
Old 10-02-17, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Chad
Caught a [surprising-to-me] first time viewing of The Toxic Avenger this morning. Apparently I haven't watched any of them; only bits and pieces on cable over the years. It was actually a well-produced film, at least by Troma standards. Too bad they don't make more like this. It's still hard to believe a Saturday morning kids cartoon materialized from this.
!!!!!

This song is in my run mix and it pops up from time to time:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/r4WbcBqH4Rc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
(sans movie sounds of course)
Old 10-02-17, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
That was back when they did theatrical releases.

Eventually they blew their load on unsuccessful movies, then reimaged themselves to be the anti-Hollywood they are today, even though they didn't complain when they were making movies people were buying tickets for.
Old 10-02-17, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts

My thoughts from my day of viewing so far. I like watching stuff on the lighter side when I wake up in the morning so I went with "The Burbs'. Also I don't think Scary Movie and Scary Movie 2 have aged very well. I can still laugh at gross out humor, I just don't find these movies as funny anymore.
Old 10-02-17, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been busy with work, family, my Facebook group and editing my latest short movie. So I might be sitting this year out, though I will try to get some viewings in.

But in the spirit of the challenge and the Halloween season. My short movie is a sequel to 'You're Not Here Now', entitled 'Psychosis' and is going to be more surreal and creepy, if all goes well.

Old 10-02-17, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Horror movies are therapy for me today.
Old 10-02-17, 05:54 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Another I've been looking for follows this story line:

Barbara Steele - Castle of BLood. Had a very nice blu ray release recently with Nightmare castle and terror creatures....
Old 10-02-17, 06:23 PM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Today I started with The Blob (1988). Most of the time 80s movies are cheesy or just downright terrible but I really enjoyed this one. There wasn't unnecessary drama or screaming and it's got a good story. I would definitely give this one another viewing. Now I want to watch the original film.
Old 10-02-17, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by lrend
Today I started with The Blob (1988). Most of the time 80s movies are cheesy or just downright terrible but I really enjoyed this one. There wasn't unnecessary drama or screaming and it's got a good story. I would definitely give this one another viewing. Now I want to watch the original film.

I watched both yesterday. The original blob is really a static shot, overly talky film. I absolutely loved Blob 1988
Old 10-02-17, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lrend
Originally Posted by numbercrunch
I watched both yesterday. The original blob is really a static shot, overly talky film. I absolutely loved Blob 1988
I'm glad to see other people like the 1988 version too. I've never understood the poor ratings/comments I've seen about it. I saw it after finally seeing the original but thought it was well done.

I really enjoy the 1958 film but it took me decades to finally watch it. It must have been shown in some kind of revival tour in the mid-late 60s as I remember it playing at the local theater and I was absolutely too young to have any recollection of it during its original run. I thought it looked pretty silly and just avoided it until a few years ago (much like The Green Slime - another I now thoroughly enjoy but thought looked "dumb" during its original run). Once I finally watched it I really enjoyed it.
Old 10-02-17, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by numbercrunch
Barbara Steele - Castle of BLood. Had a very nice blu ray release recently with Nightmare castle and terror creatures....
Thanks for the suggestion but that's not it. I own that one and it's nothing like the film from my youth.
Old 10-02-17, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

Old 10-02-17, 07:18 PM

Thanks for the suggestion but that's not it. I own that one and it's nothing like the film from my youth.
hmm. that story line is very similar. do you remember any of the actors?
Old 10-02-17, 07:20 PM
Cool New Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought this challenge was going to be awesome but everybody watches the same stupid movies they watch every year. There seems to be zero originality out there. It kills me how somebody has to use a wild card because there is only over 17 000 horror films to choose from. How can you have a grey area? It kills me even more how people watch TV shows for the MOVIE CHALLENGE. Why not get into a TV show challenge then you can watch a movie in that one just to be against the grain. Don't even get me started on the people that watch 14 movies in one day. These people have it on the TV while they go about their day catching a glimpse now and then of their favourite part because they have already watched it 32 times. I know a lot of people feel the way I do but don't want to say anything. I know this is supposed to be fun but it makes me sick to my stomach. Enjoy the challenge everyone.
Old 10-02-17, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by wackyblacky
I thought this challenge was going to be awesome but everybody watches the same stupid movies they watch every year. There seems to be zero originality out there. It kills me how somebody has to use a wild card because there is only over 17 000 horror films to choose from. How can you have a grey area? It kills me even more how people watch TV shows for the MOVIE CHALLENGE. Why not get into a TV show challenge then you can watch a movie in that one just to be against the grain. Don't even get me started on the people that watch 14 movies in one day. These people have it on the TV while they go about their day catching a glimpse now and then of their favourite part because they have already watched it 32 times. I know a lot of people feel the way I do but don't want to say anything. I know this is supposed to be fun but it makes me sick to my stomach. Enjoy the challenge everyone.
I feel like I speak for a lot of people here when I say; don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.