Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WillieMLF
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only like the Welcome Package. Also remember that any preliminary codes are just that and BN could pull it, change the details or exclusions anything prior to release so always a bit of YMMV until the final release date

Mini FAQ
Coupons should not work for PREORDERS , Nook, Legos, Rosetta Stone, Digital, Gift Cards, Memberships, etc. There are glitches where sometimes an excluded item will be allowed but assume that is the exception to the rule
Free Shipping is $25 (before tax/shipping) or with membership.
Max 3 GC on a single online order.
Online only a single code can be applied to an order
Return period is 14 days after delivery (possibly 30 days for members though I've never tried)
Online ordered items can returned to a local store unless it's classified as a web-only item then it's at the store's discretion to accept
The long standing Free 60 day Trial Offer was discontinued in late May 2016

STORE ONLY 15% OFF Coupons -- Unknown if multi-use or if will work on 40% Off Items
15% OFF Single Item Exp 12/31/2017 (I)
15% OFF Single Item Exp 12/31/2017 (II)
15% OFF Single Item Exp ?? (III)

15% Single Item exp 11/6 2:59am ET -- if these are all used I can post some more.
New codes added below at least to make the bots and lurkers work a little harder. Used codes removed 3:30pm. New Codes added
Spoiler:

HAXMEZYU7FLZ6
GNLBSJZQGPR9P
X5Z8R8XWAKJP1
JD5P9RSPTEDS7
33S8AB64EUME8
T25JYEX4UAB24
LNTSFDZE8NYUA
FTA9M2GEUC1L3
5DWYS67A3RNKC
9WGF8LVSL5FVL
D8ECEK8SFWJDS
LN5726AE4DMT1
C3U1LKYGLZCX3
VUDRA2JC25KMK
8XS6GUTSXDS7S
QF467L793K3QP
RTGC3VZGZGDN7
UY2JAJ8EQTZT5
466K2XS75CPYL
JTWKS2PM3GNRK
MPJZ5TWBZM55L
1LCJA9G6DK13A
R2SYXPPPL9GS4
Y1D7UL6QEDS8S

Some possible upcoming codes
STACKED
YESANDYES
DAYMAKER
TAKEFIVE

"New Member" Welcome Coupons
Welcome coupons may be dead -- or at least the type that have been available for nearly a decade. The latest set now have what appears to be single use codes so these probably no longer will be generic/multiple use style.
Print Wikipost

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Old 09-23-17, 10:50 PM

Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

Before my rant I want to compliment Chad for the excellent looking subset/theme listing this year. You always outdo yourself. But now I have to rant about IMDB. I know some (maybe just one person) does a little bit with this website but I am hoping someone knows why they have decided that all of the M and GP rated films back in the 60's and early 70's were never rated M or GP. There is a grand total of 10 M rated films showing up now when I do an advanced search on that. I know that history is fluid in some peoples eyes but I know that there were movies rated m and gp and that has been erased from their history on IMDB. Does anyone have any idea of a website that still exists with a list of these movies. I cannot find a single website except pictures of movies rated m and that is very inaccurate. It will be very hard to complete the ratings portion of the checklist without this. End of rant!
Old 09-23-17, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I wish I could afford to buy these shirts for DaveyJoe, SterlingBen, Bluelitespecial, and the rest of us.
That's awesome!
Old 09-23-17, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by orlmac View Post
Before my rant I want to compliment Chad for the excellent looking subset/theme listing this year. You always outdo yourself. But now I have to rant about IMDB. I know some (maybe just one person) does a little bit with this website but I am hoping someone knows why they have decided that all of the M and GP rated films back in the 60's and early 70's were never rated M or GP. There is a grand total of 10 M rated films showing up now when I do an advanced search on that. I know that history is fluid in some peoples eyes but I know that there were movies rated m and gp and that has been erased from their history on IMDB. Does anyone have any idea of a website that still exists with a list of these movies. I cannot find a single website except pictures of movies rated m and that is very inaccurate. It will be very hard to complete the ratings portion of the checklist without this. End of rant!
As happens with rants I want you to know that I know that I am half-cocked here but just because there is a few M rated films and GP rated films when you click on the ratings does not mean they are complete. Just as a for instance, Barbarella was a M rated film and Cat o'Nine Tails was a GP film just for two examples. If they are the only two I apologize for the rant and please just shake your head and ignore my posts.
Old 09-24-17, 06:55 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Hmmm, yeah, it does look like some are missing. The checklist links show 17 M rated and 48 GP, but that includes TV shows and some unreleased titles. Almost positive the lists were slightly larger in the past, but not by much. Unsure of any backup resources, makes me wish I had taken screenshots in the past, as those lists shouldn't change.
Old 09-24-17, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe View Post
RIP my phone.
Not sure if this is exactly what you meant by that comment, but does anyone else have serious problems with their mobile device browsers on some of these threads? My iPad is fairly old, version 4 I guess, and barely loads this thread, often crashing over and over to the point of unusability. Chad's last results thread was completely unloadable for me on iOS. All other dvdtalk threads work fine; it's just that Chad is too awesome for my device.
Old 09-24-17, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As far as I can tell, here's a complete list of all of the movies that the IMDB has labeled as "horror" AND have an "M" rating:

Blood Demon (a.k.a. Torture Chamber of Dr. Sadism)
Blood of Dracula’s Castle
Dunwich Horror, The
Eye of the Cat
Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed
Mad Doctor of Blood Island
Mad Room, The
Nightmare in Wax
Oblong Box, The
Psycho
(1969 re-release)
Scream and Scream Again
Witchmaker, The

How did I get this list? I first started at IMDB and pulled up this list:

http://www.imdb.com/search/title?cer...1&ref_=adv_prv

Everything past entry #186 is not useful, as it's all TV and game ratings. I then went through and checked to make sure which films were listed as horror films. Once I had those, I felt that I needed a back-up source of one kind or another, so I checked the titles against the CARA (the Classification and Rating Administration; the branch of the MPAA that actually assigns ratings) database (www.filmratings.com) and against the eMoviePoster.com auction history database (http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archive.html), which has images of over a million movie posters, pressbooks, etc. that they've auctioned over the past two decades. As long as any two of the sources said that the film had been rated "M," I listed it. I also checked the CARA database for other "M" films by selecting each year from 1968 to 1970 individually and setting the rating to "M." I didn't turn up anything using that method that the IMDB list didn't already have.

As far as your assertion that Barbarella was rated "M," I can't find any proof of that. The original release posters DO bear a "Suggested for mature audiences" slug by the approval seal, but they DON'T bear the "M" rating...so I think that Barbarella might have come out just prior to the implementation of the rating system and didn't receive an actual rating (of "PG") until its re-release in 1977. But that's conjecture on my part.

I hope this helps; I'd love to tackle the "GP" issue, but I don't have time at the moment.
Old 09-24-17, 12:31 PM

So since no one has volunteered, I've started working on a 2016 results thread. It'll just be a lame list like I did last year, nothing special. But still have several hours of work left on it over the next day or three, so if anyone else is working on one tell me now so I don't waste more time.

Also, on the M and GP ratings thing, a bored person could research old threads to perhaps find more titles. I'm sure at least a couple people per year used one in their list checklist, and I bet that the year we added the ratings to the expanded checklist we probably discussed and even typed out full lists of qualifying films.
Old 09-24-17, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by rbrown498 View Post
I hope this helps; I'd love to tackle the "GP" issue, but I don't have time at the moment.
Okay, I lied...I took the time to come up with a list of "GP"-rated films. And here we go:

Spoiler:
Abominable Dr. Phibes, The
And Soon the Darkness
Astro-Zombies, The
Beast of Blood
Bigfoot
Bird with the Crystal Plumage, The
Blood and Lace
Blood of the Man Devil
(retitled 1971 re-release of House of the Black Death)
Blood Thirst
Brain of Blood
Brotherhood of Satan, The
Cat oíNine Tails
Cauldron of Blood
Count Yorga, Vampire
Creature with the Blue Hand
Creatures the World Forgot
Crimson Cult, The
Crucible of Horror

Cry of the Banshee
Curse of the Vampires
Dracula vs. Frankenstein
Equinox
Frankensteinís Bloody Terror
Hatchet for the Honeymoon, A
Horror House
Horror of the Blood Monsters
House of Dark Shadows
House of Wax
(1972 re-release)
House That Dripped Blood, The
House That Screamed, The
Incredible Two-Headed Transplant, The
Island of the Burning Damned
Letís Scare Jessica to Death
Mark of the Witch
Murders in the Rue Morgue
Night of Dark Shadows
Night Visitor, The
Return of Count Yorga, The
Son of Blob
(a.k.a. Beware! The Blob)
Trog
Vampire People
Who Slew Auntie Roo?
Willard

I hope that this helps somebody out.
Old 09-24-17, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

...and while I'm at it, here are a few G-rated horror movies:

Creature from the Black Lagoon
Curse of the Blood-Ghouls
Destroy All Monsters
Dracula Has Risen from the Grave
Godzilla on Monster Island
(a.k.a. Godzilla vs. Gigan)
Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster
Green Slime, The
It Came from Outer Space

Legend of Boggy Creek, The
Maltese Bippy, The
Vampire Beast Craves Blood, The
(a.k.a. The Blood Beast Terror)
War of the Gargantuas

This list is by no means complete; it's just a few to start things off with. If anyone can add more, we could probably keep these lists around as resources for future OHMCs.
Old 09-24-17, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My friends are trained for this time of year. They come over every Sunday for TV night. They're actually here now. Anyway, we're caught up with most of our stuff. We only have two shows on the DVR, one of which is Fear the Walking Dead. I asked which they wanted to watch, and they told me that we should watch the other one since we can watch Fear during October.

Yep, I think they're ready for the challenge as well. They were talking about doing a Cat People night.
Old 09-24-17, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In preparation for next month, I arranged my Netflix queue, added a few new movies, and for next month, even upgraded my DVD plan from 2 DVDs up to 3.
Old 09-24-17, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by clckworang View Post
We only have two shows on the DVR, one of which is Fear the Walking Dead.
I'll be doing AHS, Exorcist, Z Nation (Still willing to continue with this) and Walking Dead (Still undecided if I'll binge Stranger Things or not) and it's too bad about Ash/Evil Dead-S3 not being around this Fall. That was THE show that I loved watching most in between movies.

And thanks for the G/GP lists, Rbrown!
Old 09-25-17, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Finally finished my banner! It is a little rough but I am getting better (mostly as a result of DVDTalk challenges!)

Got a ton of movies to watch and I am super excited for dusk on September 30th!

Also sneaking one of these tonight and it is delicious:

Last edited by SterlingBen; 09-25-17 at 12:16 AM.
Old 09-25-17, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane View Post
I'll be doing AHS, Exorcist, Z Nation (Still willing to continue with this) and Walking Dead (Still undecided if I'll binge Stranger Things or not) and it's too bad about Ash/Evil Dead-S3 not being around this Fall. That was THE show that I loved watching most in between movies.

And thanks for the G/GP lists, Rbrown!
I'm excited about season 2 of Exorcist. I can't believe we're getting one! I binged Stranger Things last challenge. If I make a big dent on my unwatched pile, I might go for season 2.
Old 09-25-17, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by SterlingBen View Post
Finally finished my banner! It is a little rough but I am getting better (mostly as a result of DVDTalk challenges!)
Got a ton of movies to watch and I am super excited for dusk on September 30th!
I see Fats! That's great. And is that The Tingler crawling up the wall?

I pulled all my movies today and got them organized. Once again I have way too many "first-time-view" films so the real challenge will be trying to get thru them all.
Old 09-25-17, 01:50 AM

Just noticed this is my 10th year participating in the challenge!

I had participated before then as well for a few years before that as well, but only lurked never made an account. Incredibly glad I didn't stay away for too long!

Yep, I think they're ready for the challenge as well. They were talking about doing a Cat People night.
Just in case you were planning to watch The Curse of the Cat People, be warned that while it is a very good movie, it is not really a horror film. Of course, I don't have anything against people counting it, but I just wanted to mention it as I felt pretty disappointed when I first saw it, as I was expecting more of a horror element (or any horror element, for that matter!).
Old 09-25-17, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cwileyy View Post
Just noticed this is my 10th year participating in the challenge!

I had participated before then as well for a few years before that as well, but only lurked never made an account. Incredibly glad I didn't stay away for too long!

Just in case you were planning to watch The Curse of the Cat People, be warned that while it is a very good movie, it is not really a horror film. Of course, I don't have anything against people counting it, but I just wanted to mention it as I felt pretty disappointed when I first saw it, as I was expecting more of a horror element (or any horror element, for that matter!).
It's challenge 10 for me as well. Hard to believe.

I've seen Curse of the Cat People. The inclusion of that one is still in doubt. My friends really wanted to see the remake and original.
Old 09-25-17, 07:54 AM

Spent a few hours organizing the checklist, and trying to put a few ideas down on Sunday.

Noticed that An American Werewolf in London was on last night. I hadn't seen the movie in it's entirety since the early 80's when I first saw it. I was really quite amazed how well the makeup and effects have held up over the years.
Old 09-25-17, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by rbrown498 View Post
As far as your assertion that Barbarella was rated "M," I can't find any proof of that. The original release posters DO bear a "Suggested for mature audiences" slug by the approval seal, but they DON'T bear the "M" rating...so I think that Barbarella might have come out just prior to the implementation of the rating system and didn't receive an actual rating (of "PG") until its re-release in 1977. But that's conjecture on my part.
Speaking of Barbarella, if I'd had a chance to see it in 1977, with a PG rating and being in grade 7, I'd have gone to see those first 5 minutes about a hundred times! Can't think of a sexier nude scene in a PG movie!

Originally Posted by cwileyy View Post
I agree with the disappointment of unmet expectations from this film. I need to watch it again now to rate it on its own merit rather than on what I wanted it to be.
Old 09-25-17, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's not even October, and I've had our first equipment failure of the Challenge. My phone died today. Luckily I still have my tablet and laptop, so it won't keep me from the forums.
Old 09-25-17, 04:13 PM

As I obsessively formulate my attack plan for October, I've found a couple movies that I definitely want to watch that I can't seem to find anywhere but Shudder. Does anyone have any experience with them and know whether it would be best to subscribe through their site or Amazon? Mainly concerned about ease of cancellation, as I only really want it for the challenge.
Old 09-25-17, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PCBreakdown View Post
As I obsessively formulate my attack plan for October, I've found a couple movies that I definitely want to watch that I can't seem to find anywhere but Shudder. Does anyone have any experience with them and know whether it would be best to subscribe through their site or Amazon? Mainly concerned about ease of cancellation, as I only really want it for the challenge.
If you go through Roku, you can easily cancel from the Subscriptions sub page on your account page on the Roku website.
Old 09-25-17, 04:53 PM

Shudder is also part of a ten channel bundle called VLR or something. $9 a month, but has a generous 30 day free trial last I looked.
Old 09-25-17, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn

If by some chance you missed it (you didn't), the subset threads went up last night.

The links are now included in the hybrid table too.

And for the newbies...

You can always find the optional tables though the links on the first post (here and here), going directly to post #2, in the first post of the list thread, and the upcoming blurb in the headlines section of the upper-middle portion of this very page as well as the DVD Talk newsletter. If you can't find them, you're not looking hard enough.
Old 09-25-17, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Shudder is also part of a ten channel bundle called VLR or something. $9 a month, but has a generous 30 day free trial last I looked.
Found it.
https://vrv.co/gopremium

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.