Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WillieMLF
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only like the Welcome Package. Also remember that any preliminary codes are just that and BN could pull it, change the details or exclusions anything prior to release so always a bit of YMMV until the final release date

Mini FAQ
Coupons should not work for PREORDERS , Nook, Legos, Rosetta Stone, Digital, Gift Cards, Memberships, etc. There are glitches where sometimes an excluded item will be allowed but assume that is the exception to the rule
Free Shipping is $25 (before tax/shipping) or with membership.
Max 3 GC on a single online order.
Online only a single code can be applied to an order
Return period is 14 days after delivery (possibly 30 days for members though I've never tried)
Online ordered items can returned to a local store unless it's classified as a web-only item then it's at the store's discretion to accept
The long standing Free 60 day Trial Offer was discontinued in late May 2016

STORE ONLY 15% OFF Coupons -- Unknown if multi-use or if will work on 40% Off Items
15% OFF Single Item Exp 12/31/2017 (I)
15% OFF Single Item Exp 12/31/2017 (II)
15% OFF Single Item Exp ?? (III)

15% Single Item exp 11/6 2:59am ET -- if these are all used I can post some more.
New codes added below at least to make the bots and lurkers work a little harder. Used codes removed 3:30pm. New Codes added
Spoiler:

HAXMEZYU7FLZ6
GNLBSJZQGPR9P
X5Z8R8XWAKJP1
JD5P9RSPTEDS7
33S8AB64EUME8
T25JYEX4UAB24
LNTSFDZE8NYUA
FTA9M2GEUC1L3
5DWYS67A3RNKC
9WGF8LVSL5FVL
D8ECEK8SFWJDS
LN5726AE4DMT1
C3U1LKYGLZCX3
VUDRA2JC25KMK
8XS6GUTSXDS7S
QF467L793K3QP
RTGC3VZGZGDN7
UY2JAJ8EQTZT5
466K2XS75CPYL
JTWKS2PM3GNRK
MPJZ5TWBZM55L
1LCJA9G6DK13A
R2SYXPPPL9GS4
Y1D7UL6QEDS8S

Some possible upcoming codes
STACKED
YESANDYES
DAYMAKER
TAKEFIVE

"New Member" Welcome Coupons
Welcome coupons may be dead -- or at least the type that have been available for nearly a decade. The latest set now have what appears to be single use codes so these probably no longer will be generic/multiple use style.
Print Wikipost

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-17, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

Originally Posted by brainee
I don't know what it is that Amazon Prime has listed as "The Haunting of Collinwood" and "The Vampire's Curse". Are they reedits of a couple of storylines? Normally it takes dozens of episodes for a major story, but these are only 3 hours long. It does sound like a cool idea, since there has always been a lot of repetition in the regular episodes (since the producers knew some people only watched a couple of time a week). Though the editing would have to be done with some care.
Vampire's Curse is just the Barnabas story from the past that leads up to him becoming a vampire and it eliminates all the other plots, like Vicky's stuff.

Haunting of Collinwood is when Quentin first shows up. It skips over most of the lead up with the telephone and starts closer to when he starts showing up and trying to get the kids to do stuff.

My wife sat through both of these but couldn't make it very far in the show, since it's pretty slow.

Even though I own the coffin set, I also picked these two up. It's a nice way to revisit things or show the series to someone new to it.
Old 09-20-17, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007
Ah, Dark Shadows...I have the entire series in that coffin set. It's nice. But, I'm only on disc 3. At this rate, I'll never finish it. I wish I could skip ahead to all of the supernatural stuff, but I have zero knowledge on the show's history, so when I watched that movie last year, I had no idea what was going on, either. Slow and steady...
Best set ever.

You'll hear the word "bleeder valve" and Burke Devlin's backstory until you'll wanna punch a wall, but it does get better.

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
I found it to have very little connection to the rest of the series. It's a much later sequel sharing more in common with the Depp vehicle. It's chronological order in the wiki is telling.

http://darkshadows.wikia.com/wiki/Night_of_Dark_Shadows

Edit: "Night of Dark Shadows is a self-contained story and does not share continuity with either the original Dark Shadows television program or the full-length feature film, House of Dark Shadows."
Exactly the answer I was hoping to hear. Thank you!

Man, you're almost done! I started last October and now I'm still only at #505:
Spoiler:
we just had the cliffhanger with Adam throwing himself off Widow's Hill.
I started watching in February 2016 and haven't really watched much else as of late. Definitely didn't expect to have the whole set finished off in under two years.

Originally Posted by indiephantom
Saying hi to SethDLH, Chad, Trevor and the whole gang. One of the few years that I've not been in on pre-game planning. But I will be in on the game for as much as possible. Excited to look over the categories you've ended up with.

Oh, and if there are any open spots for anything, I'll offer my input/picks.
Welcome back!
Old 09-20-17, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Looking around on the internet for talk about Dark Shadows, I stumbled upon a fun blog: Dark Shadows Every Day. Started back on September 1, 2013, he's been plugging away writing up fun synopses and reviews for each episode (full of lots of trivia, bloopers, reader discussion, and all kinds of information). But even this guy wasn't so committed to begin with episode #1 (he started at #210, the introduction of Barnabas). He's almost done, up to #1076.

I've been enjoying going through the blog as I've been watching episodes. Just be careful ... there are some spoilers dropped, especially in the reader comments, who just seem to assume everyone has seen and remember well every single episode of the entire run (even those that the blog hasn't gotten to yet). I got a really awful spoiler checking the entry of an episode that had a shocking character death. One reader comment listed their top 10 shocking deaths in Dark Shadows history. I quickly closed the page while shouting "NOOOO!!!!!", but I still caught a couple of names and now they're stuck in my brain The spoilers by the blog writer are pretty mild (saying things like "we won't see this character until episode #____").
Old 09-20-17, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
Best set ever.

You'll hear the word "bleeder valve" and Burke Devlin's backstory until you'll wanna punch a wall, but it does get better.
While I think Burke Devlin is a pretty decent character so far, I am a little over his backstory already. I was pleasantly surprised to see Conrad Bain from Diff'rent Strokes in an early episode. I may try to power through some of these before the challenge and maybe I'll get to some of the good stuff by then...but I'm not sure I have that kind of commitment just yet to this show.
Old 09-21-17, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

With everyone talking Dark Shadows I had to look up the price on Amazon and it's over $300...damn! That is also a LOT of discs and episodes. Are they an hour long? And what's the best price for this set:

https://www.amazon.com/Dark-Shadows-...omplete+series
Old 09-21-17, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I just ordered some movies for October. I ordered both the Dracula and Mummy Complete Legacy Collections, the double feature you mentioned Chad, of Yongary: Monster Of The Deep and Konga, and since I have been unable to locate my copy of the double feature of Halloween 4 and Halloween 5, I double dipped and bought a replacement copy of that. That also gives me every single of the original Halloween movies.
Old 09-21-17, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jacob_b
With everyone talking Dark Shadows I had to look up the price on Amazon and it's over $300...damn! That is also a LOT of discs and episodes. Are they an hour long? And what's the best price for this set:

https://www.amazon.com/Dark-Shadows-...omplete+series
They are half-hour episodes. I think they stay a half hour throughout the series run.

I paid for mine over a year ago and it was a little more than it is now. I had always planned on getting the show before, but some of the "Volume" sets had gotten difficult to organize and would have cost a fortune if I had bought them individually. The idea of a complete set already in order appealed to me without having to search all over the place and was ultimately cheaper than buying several different collections. I had a little extra saved and decided to indulge myself in case this set went out of print like so many other things have while I was waiting for the price to lower.

It just depends on your finances. But I think this is the most affordable and convenient way to see the show without having to gather 20 different collections at $30 a pop.
Old 09-21-17, 08:48 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

They are half-hour episodes. I think they stay a half hour throughout the series run.

I paid for mine over a year ago and it was a little more than it is now. I had always planned on getting the show before, but some of the "Volume" sets had gotten difficult to organize and would have cost a fortune if I had bought them individually. The idea of a complete set already in order appealed to me without having to search all over the place and was ultimately cheaper than buying several different collections. I had a little extra saved and decided to indulge myself in case this set went out of print like so many other things have while I was waiting for the price to lower.

It just depends on your finances. But I think this is the most affordable and convenient way to see the show without having to gather 20 different collections at $30 a pop.
You almost have me convinced MM. I've enjoyed the bits of Dark Shadows I've seen (highlight clips, the two films, even the reboot film), but hesitate at such a steep price for something I'd probably only watch once in my life. Not that that fact ever stops me, but it's somehow mentally easier to justify dozens and dozens of $5-15 purchases.
Old 09-21-17, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrown498
I agree with Chad that I don't think that it's ever been shown on TCM before. However, Keisuke Kinoshita's version of the story, The Ghost of Yotsuya, Part I (a.k.a. The Yotsuda Phantom and Yotsuda Kaidan, Part I) been shown on IFC, along with The Ghost of Yotsuya, Part II (a.k.a. Shinshaku Yotsuya Kaidan: Kohen and Yotsuya Kaidan, Part II), both from 1949. I can't tell you exactly when they were shown, but I DVRed them and dumped them to DVD-R years ago.
Looking over my lists, I see that TCM showed Yotsuya Ghost Story (1959), directed by Nobuo Nakagawa, on October 15, 2014. It's a terrific ghostly revenge story, and it would be a worthy addition to the other Japanese horror classics in the Criterion library down the road.

Last edited by Gobear; 09-21-17 at 09:11 AM.
Old 09-21-17, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Trevor
You almost have me convinced MM. I've enjoyed the bits of Dark Shadows I've seen (highlight clips, the two films, even the reboot film), but hesitate at such a steep price for something I'd probably only watch once in my life. Not that that fact ever stops me, but it's somehow mentally easier to justify dozens and dozens of $5-15 purchases.
At $300, you're paying about 2 and a half cents per episode. Much cheaper than a rental.

The initial ratings boost happened before Barnabas. It starts when they introduced David's mom. It's still slow at that point but the supernatural boost is what the show needed at that point.

The other big initial highlight for me was around episode 100 when it stops being the Ms. Winters show.
Old 09-21-17, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I just ordered some movies for October. I ordered both the Dracula and Mummy Complete Legacy Collections
I plan on getting rid of my blu-ray and dvd copies. I have all the dvd editions and the blu-ray sets, as well as the older blu-ray set that's just the first films of the series, plus Bride of Frankenstein.

I was watching the legacy blu-ray sets over the last week and for the most part, didn't care for any of the sequels other than Bride. I'll probably just keep the older blu-ray collection and maybe the Invisible Man set. I read those sequels were pretty good compared to the others.
Old 09-21-17, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I worried that I may have compulsively purchased it because it's been a year and I'm barely 20 episodes in, but all this talk got me interested again and I've been binging since then and am creeping up on episode 40 now. Yeah, this "bleeder valve" stuff is dragging out a bit and the acting is a bit hammy, but the slow pacing is starting to pay off and I'll admit I'm getting pulled in...

I personally would rather purchase this than 30 different collections. It's a big coffin box, but it takes up less room, too. Like I said, it's much more convenient and, in the long run, a cheaper alternative. I'd recommend it if you are going to purchase the series in any form other than amazon streaming. A huge chunk of it is also on Prime right now.
Old 09-21-17, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
I plan on getting rid of my blu-ray and dvd copies. I have all the dvd editions and the blu-ray sets, as well as the older blu-ray set that's just the first films of the series, plus Bride of Frankenstein.

I was watching the legacy blu-ray sets over the last week and for the most part, didn't care for any of the sequels other than Bride. I'll probably just keep the older blu-ray collection and maybe the Invisible Man set. I read those sequels were pretty good compared to the others.
I just recently watched a sequel off of the Frankenstein Legacy DVD set and it looked fantastic! I've bought the Blu-ray stand alones but I sure don't think there's a need to upgrade the Legacy sets if the DVDs look that good!
Old 09-21-17, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

I'm right there with ya! I have several series I've purchased a season/set at a time and it didn't seem "expensive" until I added it all up one day! I keep wanting to sample this one first simply because of the overall cost. I absolutely know that if I purchase a single set and like it even marginally I'll eventually get it all.

And I see that all but 8 of the Barnabas seasons are available "free" with Prime, and 2 seasons of the 6 pre-Barnabas years. Hmmm.... looks like an excellent way to sample the series.
Old 09-21-17, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

I'm speechless... Just who are you and what did you do with Mr. Peepers?!?
Old 09-21-17, 01:13 PM

At $300, you're paying about 2 and a half cents per episode. Much cheaper than a rental.
More like 25 cents an episode I think. Still tempting.

Watched episode one and really enjoyed it.
Old 09-21-17, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

The initial ratings boost happened before Barnabas. It starts when they introduced David's mom. It's still slow at that point but the supernatural boost is what the show needed at that point.

The other big initial highlight for me was around episode 100 when it stops being the Ms. Winters show.
The nice thing about the DVD set is they have loads of interviews with people involved in making the show, on both sides of the camera. Most look like they were shot in the early 90s, so many people are still alive. And it was interesting to hear from the writers and producers during those critical transitional periods of the show.

I agree about a big change happening around #100. I don't remember the exact episode, but there was a scene to close an episode where where a ghost materialized out of a painting. I know it seems trivial now, but that was a huge moment for a show that, up until then, had no supernatural elements (it was a "straight" gothic melodrama). That got a lot of buzz with viewers, and led into a much more exciting storyline of murder and ghostly revenge.

The writers/producers sensed what viewers liked and had the Phoenix storyline, a 100% supernatural horror story, start soon afterwards. There was some good stuff in there, but it was painfully slow paced (even by soap opera standards). It was also hurt by having no other storylines going on at the same time to break things up and give a little variety.

Here's a good tip for new viewers that was given on the front page of the blog I linked. If you want to get a feel for the stories and characters, but are finding the slow pace of those early episodes too much, you can just watch the Friday episodes (those whose numbers end in 5 or 0). And if that ended on a cliffhanger, watch the Monday episode that followed it. Even after Barnabas joins the show, the pacing is slow and you'll get to see all the important stuff. Though by the time they get to the first time travel story, the pacing is much better and important things could happen on any day.

Though if you committed to buying the DVD set I know you'll want to watch them all. Once you get used to the pacing, and the stories become more interesting, it gets easier. Though skipping to the Friday/Monday episodes might be a good "sampling" strategy for streaming video viewers.
Old 09-21-17, 03:16 PM

There's one of those today only $15 off $75 ebay coupons that just popped up. Timing seems too good to be a coincidence. God, or maybe Satan, wants me to own the Coffin set.
Old 09-21-17, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was at Wal-Mart today, and if anyone just wants the first Dracula or Frankenstein, they are available there for $7.50 each. I was able to grab the Alien Quadrillogy for $10.00.
Old 09-21-17, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

It is listed as horror on imdb, but I honestly agree with you. That said, I saw it already and don't think I could sit through it again anyway.
I guess it could be psychological horror.
Old 09-21-17, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

There's one of those today only $15 off $75 ebay coupons that just popped up. Timing seems too good to be a coincidence. God, or maybe Satan, wants me to own the Coffin set.
Be careful on eBay, Trevor--the majority of the Coffin sets on there are Chinese bootlegs.
Old 09-21-17, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by rbrown498
Be careful on eBay, Trevor--the majority of the Coffin sets on there are Chinese bootlegs.
Oh crap, thanks.

Wait, does this make you an angel......?
Old 09-21-17, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I didn't bite, but I also saw Wal-Mart has Seasons 1 and 2 of Tales From The Crypt for $10 each, and a DVD of four 'Treehouse Of Horror' episodes for $3.74.
Old 09-21-17, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I'm speechless... Just who are you and what did you do with Mr. Peepers?!?
I'm just more "meh" about things lately and also looking to purge stuff from my collection I have no desire to ever revisit, even if it's part of a series.

More like 25 cents an episode I think. Still tempting.

Watched episode one and really enjoyed it.
You and your accurate math

Spoiler alert, don't watch the bonus features on each disc as you watch the show unless you want spoilers.

The writers/producers sensed what viewers liked and had the Phoenix storyline, a 100% supernatural horror story, start soon afterwards. There was some good stuff in there, but it was painfully slow paced (even by soap opera standards). It was also hurt by having no other storylines going on at the same time to break things up and give a little variety.
I remember being happy when it went back to having a second storyline going on at the same time. Phoenix was slow but it was nice to see
Spoiler:
it revisited later on down the line, even though they didn't really do much with it.

At some point I'm going to go through it all again but I want to catch up on a lot of other things first.
Old 09-21-17, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Spoiler alert, don't watch the bonus features on each disc as you watch the show unless you want spoilers.
That's my only gripe with the set. There's 110(?) friggin' discs, so that's a pretty daunting task. There's just no way I'm gonna get myself to go back and pop in a DVD that many times solely for some interviews. I've been watching as I go along and can only hope they're not too revealing.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.