Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

2017 Criterion Challenge Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-17, 09:03 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Re: 2017 Criterion Challenge Discussion Thread

First time viewing of Nicolas Roeg's Insignificance was a great time. Not sure exactly how I feel about the film or what it all means, but I know I enjoyed it and that I'll remember parts of it more than most films.
Old 09-20-17, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
First time viewing of Nicolas Roeg's Insignificance was a great time. Not sure exactly how I feel about the film or what it all means, but I know I enjoyed it and that I'll remember parts of it more than most films.
That's one of my favorite movies! Roeg and the cast make me feel an emotional connection to several of the characters (especially Theresa Russell as Actress) despite the surreal absurdity of the script. When I was teaching Composition, I would sometimes show a short clip of the Actress explaining physics to introduce a lesson on handy rhetorical devices.
Old 09-20-17, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
That's one of my favorite movies! Roeg and the cast make me feel an emotional connection to several of the characters (especially Theresa Russell as Actress) despite the surreal absurdity of the script. When I was teaching Composition, I would sometimes show a short clip of the Actress explaining physics to introduce a lesson on handy rhetorical devices.
I really liked it too. Watched during my MYOC - My Month With Marilyn month a couple years ago. Never got around to buying it. Thanks for the reminder though.
Old 09-20-17, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I managed to watch 8 Criterion movies and MANY MANY extras, in fact ALL of them on most. I also watched one other documentary on disc and went to the theatre 3 times. But, as today is the start of the Calgary International Film Festival, I have to imagine my Criterion watching has come to an end. It's too bad. I was really enjoying it and still had several on my list that I wanted to watch, including a few I'll have to return to the library unwatched.

Last year I was able to see 37 films during the 13 days of the festival (including one that has already been released by Criterion: Personal Shopper). I have 37 scheduled to see this year as well. I'll have to see how it goes. I'm tired already and haven't even seen the first one yet! lol
Old 09-20-17, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
That's a cool tool there mr. And yes, it evoked much empathy with "Marilyn" for me. Interesting that Russell and Roeg ended up married after an earlier film together, I'll need to see that one someday.
Originally Posted by pacaway
I really liked it too. Watched during my MYOC - My Month With Marilyn month a couple years ago. Never got around to buying it. Thanks for the reminder though.
I guess I didn't look closely at your month with Marilyn back then; assumed it was just actual Marilyn films, love that you included this one too!
Originally Posted by pacaway
I managed to watch 8 Criterion movies and MANY MANY extras, in fact ALL of them on most. I also watched one other documentary on disc and went to the theatre 3 times. But, as today is the start of the Calgary International Film Festival, I have to imagine my Criterion watching has come to an end. It's too bad. I was really enjoying it and still had several on my list that I wanted to watch, including a few I'll have to return to the library unwatched.

Last year I was able to see 37 films during the 13 days of the festival (including one that has already been released by Criterion: Personal Shopper). I have 37 scheduled to see this year as well. I'll have to see how it goes. I'm tired already and haven't even seen the first one yet! lol
Film festivals can be wonderful. I've only done two, but they were among the highlights of my media life. The local horror one changed venues so as to make it three times as expensive with half the films, makes me cry every October just thinking about what it once was.
Old 09-20-17, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's a cool tool there mr. And yes, it evoked much empathy with "Marilyn" for me. Interesting that Russell and Roeg ended up married after an earlier film together, I'll need to see that one someday.

I guess I didn't look closely at your month with Marilyn back then; assumed it was just actual Marilyn films, love that you included this one too!

Film festivals can be wonderful. I've only done two, but they were among the highlights of my media life. The local horror one changed venues so as to make it three times as expensive with half the films, makes me cry every October just thinking about what it once was.
As for Marilyn, I included some documentaries, some youtube videos of TV content about her, bio-pics, and even the full season one of Smash which was about a theater group developing a play about Marilyn's life. I also read through a book about all of her films as I watched each one. It was a good time.

Calgary has two REALLY good film festivals... The Underground Film Festival in April (that is mostly genre based) and the International Film Festival in September. I try to go to both. In April I see about 20 films at CUFF over 7 days. I've gone to that festival for the last 4 years and this is my 3rd year doing the international one. There's not really a horror one specifically here, but that would be awesome too. My wife wants to send me to Sundance or TIFF one of these years, which would be really cool as well. The problem with TIFF is that it is pretty much the week before the Calgary festival, so I could never do both.
Old 09-21-17, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Chungking Express
Third time watching it for the CC challenge, fifth time over all. It's still free and alive and always happening NOW. And Faye Wong is the original Manic Pixie Dream Girl, but the story is actually from her POV.

A few days later, I watched Fallen Angels, which I didn't know was a kinda/sorta companion film to Chungking.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Am I crazy, or is this the forgotten Spielberg film? Everybody's seen it and everybody knows it's Spielberg. But it feels like Close Encounters always gets overshadowed by the bigger hits or the more critically acclaimed stuff.

It also kind of feels like interest in UFOs has dropped a lot in the last couple of decades. Do we just have more answers for sky phenomena, or are people just not going outside and looking up much anymore?

Multiple Maniacs
Waters's second feature length, but it comes off as barely better than a student film. I don't think B&W works with his early homemade style. I think you need those bright, tacky colors to go with Divine's antics.

I saw Female Trouble a month ago, and that was a great, sleazy, charming good time.

David Lynch: The Art Life
Portrait of an Artist. I knew it would focus primarily on his painting, and that's exactly what it did.

Doeds’ka-den
I've seen about half of Kurosawa's films now. I feel fairly certain this one belongs in the bottom third. I knew it was going to be some goofy caricatures, but how can you romanticize severe poverty so much?

L'avventura
I loved Blow-up, the only other Antonioni film I've seen. I'll keep going with his work, but L'avventura was not a high point for me. Great scenery, though.
Old 09-21-17, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. Mantle

It also kind of feels like interest in UFOs has dropped a lot in the last couple of decades. Do we just have more answers for sky phenomena, or are people just not going outside and looking up much anymore?
Yeah, isn't it odd that once people started having cameras on them 24/7 the sightings of ghosts, UFOs, and Bigfoot dried up?
Old 09-23-17, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Mantle
Am I crazy, or is this the forgotten Spielberg film?

L'avventura
I loved Blow-up, the only other Antonioni film I've seen.
YES, Close Encounters is highly overlooked in comparisons to other Spielberg films. Glad it got a re-release and a proper 4K transfer treatment.

I'm watching Identification of a Woman, another Antonioni film, that is a perfect companion to L'avventura, even with similar plot points.
Old 09-23-17, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I've been making my way through The Complete Mr. Arkadin. I've watched the Corinth Version and Confidential Report already, and all supplements on their respective discs. To be honest, I favor the latter cut. I found the scenes of Guy and Zouk intrusive throughout the Corinth Version. They made me feel that I wasn't trusted to keep up with the rather straightforward story, for one thing. They also interfered with the organic development of plot threads.

I'm going to move on to The Complete Edition shortly. Regardless of how I feel about that cut, I can already say I'm glad I finally got hold of this (thanks, Campbell County Public Library, for making it available to me through an interlibrary loan!). It's not one I feel strongly enough about I'm likely to revisit or want to own, but if a theater screened any of its cuts, I'd be keen to attend.
Old 09-24-17, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Travis McClain
I've been making my way through The Complete Mr. Arkadin. I've watched the Corinth Version and Confidential Report already, and all supplements on their respective discs. To be honest, I favor the latter cut. I found the scenes of Guy and Zouk intrusive throughout the Corinth Version. They made me feel that I wasn't trusted to keep up with the rather straightforward story, for one thing. They also interfered with the organic development of plot threads.

I'm going to move on to The Complete Edition shortly. Regardless of how I feel about that cut, I can already say I'm glad I finally got hold of this (thanks, Campbell County Public Library, for making it available to me through an interlibrary loan!). It's not one I feel strongly enough about I'm likely to revisit or want to own, but if a theater screened any of its cuts, I'd be keen to attend.
I have a vague memory of this set being possibly my first immersion into what makes Criterion Criterion. I'd seen Criterion films before obviously, but this was a (possibly first) time where I immersed myself into the set, and really "studied" the film, thought about the filmmaking process, and read up on it.

Of course, I have absolutely no memory of the film itself now, but recall loving it, and should re-visit it.
Old 09-24-17, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have a vague memory of this set being possibly my first immersion into what makes Criterion Criterion. I'd seen Criterion films before obviously, but this was a (possibly first) time where I immersed myself into the set, and really "studied" the film, thought about the filmmaking process, and read up on it.

Of course, I have absolutely no memory of the film itself now, but recall loving it, and should re-visit it.
It may be the epitome of what the Criterion treatment looks like. They dug into the vaults not just to find two versions, but even farther enough to collect other material to synthesize an entirely new one (in a rare instance where, artistically, such a thing is allowable as Welles never presented a definitive cut of his own). We get a commentary (oddly, only on one of the three cuts), video interviews with a scholar and another with the key figures involved in the new cut (including Peter Bogdanovich), three episodes of The Lives of Harry Lime radio show, footage of Welles acting, footage of him directing other actors (something I've almost never seen as a feature!), outtakes, and even two alternate scenes featuring Spanish speaking actresses in the roles of Baroness Nagel and Sophie, replacing their English speaking counterparts for release in Spanish-speaking markets (it was co-produced by a company from Spain).

Plus, it was even packaged with a reprint of the novel! Alas, the library that loaned me their DVD did not include the novel, so it's the one thing I can't claim to have absorbed over the last few days. (The booklet was also missing, but thankfully Criterion posts their essays online.)

As for the Comprehensive Edition cut that I watched last night, I can easily get behind the argument that it's as definitive as one could ask given the circumstances. I complained previously that I found the frequent present-day scenes intrusive in the Corinth Version and that I favored the Confidential Report cut for removing them. Oddly, I found them more acceptable and even appreciated them being restored for this cut.

I think the key reason they worked better for me here is that some of the sequences were rearranged from those other two cuts. The story felt more organic overall, and because of this, the present-day scenes weren't jarring interruptions.

I've changed my mind about my interest in this set. It's currently DVD only, but if/when they should issue it on Blu-ray, that will go on my wishlist. As you said, Trevor, it's a fantastic edition for actually beginning to study a film. I would be interested to come back to it every now and again and see what all may stand out to me in subsequent viewings of the different cuts.
Old 09-24-17, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I don't know how accurate the assessment is, as I've never seen the movie myself, but I just read an interesting blog entry where the author suggested Miami Vice was long overdue for the Criterion treatment. I don't have the link, but if anyone wants to read it, just do a search for Miami Vice Criterion Collection. He made quite a few good points in his article.
Old 09-24-17, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks Trevor, for letting me know some of the other places you can find Criterion content. I was looking on YouTube, and discovered that Fishing With John is on YouTube. I just finished the first episode where he was with Jim Jarmusch, fishing for sharks off Montauk Island.
Old 09-24-17, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, isn't it odd that once people started having cameras on them 24/7 the sightings of ghosts, UFOs, and Bigfoot dried up?
I dunno; the proliferation of Photoshop and video editing software has given new life to the hoaxes, and in turn, seems to have spiked a curiosity in the phenomena themselves. I mean, there are whole cable channels that have become dedicated almost exclusively to those things (looking at you, History Channel).

But to get back to the spirit of Dr. Mantle's question, I think we collectively aren't "going outside and looking up much anymore". I attribute this in large part to the U.S. government de-emphasizing space exploration over the last several decades. I was born in 1978. I hear about the space race of the 60's and the awe and wonder it inspired, and I don't believe it was just because no previous generation had ever done it. I believe it was also because it was made to feel like a collective achievement. I've often heard people who were around for those things say, "We went to the moon." They felt included in that.

Throughout my own lifetime, though, the attitude has often been that NASA was a big waste of everyone's money ("What did we get? A couple of rocks? Big deal!") and that if anyone gives a damn about space exploration, they should get some money and do it through a capitalist venture. There's no "we" in what a business may do unless you're an employee. That's a much smaller demographic than everyone in the country feeling part of something conceived and carried out by their duly elected government.

The damage done to our sense of wonder hasn't come through slashed funding. It's come from our people being told time and again that space exploration is frivolous. Look at the reaction to Richard Branson's plans to go into space. It's lofty, but it also comes off as little more than a novelty for the uber-rich to indulge in than as something for humanity to celebrate.
Old 09-26-17, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Last night I watched the very funny comedy The In-Laws. It stars Peter Falk and Alan Arkin. As I stated in my Letterboxd, it's "a hilarious late 70's comedy that became more hysterically funny the more it tried to play it straight. Definitely worth checking out."
Old 09-26-17, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As we close in on the final days, how's everyone's challenge going? Find any gems? Any remaining goals you're going to push to reach?

When this challenge is over, I think it'd be neat if everyone* would share one film from what they watched during this year's challenge they think others ought to make a point to watch. Could be fun to come back to those recommendations next year!

*Everyone meaning those who care to participate. We run a low-pressure operation here.
Old 09-26-17, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

A few days ago, I asked Travis for another suggestion of something to watch and he suggested, 45 Years. His feelings were that while I probably wouldn't enjoy it as much as he had, I should enjoy it and at worse be neutral toward it. I have to admit to being indifferent. I didn't hate it but I didn't really enjoy it.

The movie follows a couple that is about to celebrate their 45th wedding anniversary. A few days before the party, the husband receives a letter that upsets their lives unexpectedly. The whole movie has a very melancholic feel to it. Maybe I just wasn't in the right mood to watch it, but it just didn't grab me. I can understand why this made it into the Criterion Collection, but I truly don't have any strong feelings about it other than the end feels a little too abrupt, like nothing was truly resolved and that there should be another movie following to see what happened next.

Travis, I think I'll stick with my previous selection of Harold and Maude as my recommendation!
Old 09-27-17, 04:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As we close in on the final days, how's everyone's challenge going? Find any gems? Any remaining goals you're going to push to reach?

When this challenge is over, I think it'd be neat if everyone* would share one film from what they watched during this year's challenge they think others ought to make a point to watch. Could be fun to come back to those recommendations next year!

*Everyone meaning those who care to participate. We run a low-pressure operation here.
While I haven't really done much this month, I'd like to watch some from my DVD collection, so I guess that would be my goal.
Old 09-27-17, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by LJG765
A few days ago, I asked Travis for another suggestion of something to watch and he suggested, 45 Years. His feelings were that while I probably wouldn't enjoy it as much as he had, I should enjoy it and at worse be neutral toward it. I have to admit to being indifferent. I didn't hate it but I didn't really enjoy it.
Well, you didn't hate it so I'm calling it a win! :P

The movie follows a couple that is about to celebrate their 45th wedding anniversary. A few days before the party, the husband receives a letter that upsets their lives unexpectedly. The whole movie has a very melancholic feel to it. Maybe I just wasn't in the right mood to watch it, but it just didn't grab me. I can understand why this made it into the Criterion Collection, but I truly don't have any strong feelings about it other than the end feels a little too abrupt, like nothing was truly resolved and that there should be another movie following to see what happened next.
I would certainly agree that "melancholic" is an appropriate characterization of this one, but I would like to qualify that by clarifying that it isn't a monotonous downer. It's about the husband processing something difficult and the wife processing the husband's processing. There's a vulnerability here that resonated with me.

I felt the conflict developed organically, too, which has not been the case for me with a lot of movies. Usually there's a sense that something happens because the structure of the story needs that thing to happen, rather than because it's where the characters would go next with their journey. 45 Years is a slow burn, and while it does lead to an explosion of sorts, it's a much smaller scale explosion than I think we're used to in film, and I think that's another part that endeared it to me.

Travis, I think I'll stick with my previous selection of Harold and Maude as my recommendation!
I dig that you dug that one. I know this particular challenge is more miss than hit for you, so it's exciting for me on a personal level when you have a hit!
Old 09-27-17, 11:35 AM

Lovely Challenge so far here! Have kept a fairly steady pace, pretty much watching a couple films on each day off work. As always as of the last couple years, my non-October Challenges are mainly focused on filling in my personal checklist, where I make sure I watch at least one item on every subscription service, device, and collection niche. Gives me a broad variety of content each month, which keeps me focused and moving, never feeling like it a slog to get thru too much of the same thing, as I have about 30 different "types" of things to get through.

No real goals left now that that checklist is complete, other than perhaps finding a new-to-me item to qualify for the crossover Horror period. Don't think that exists, except perhaps as an unlistened to commentary track.

Gems? Several, mostly Harold and Maude. More on those later hopefully.
Old 09-27-17, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd say the gem of the month so far, is the original, classic, Gojira. While Godzilla:
King Of The Monsters
is a typical 50s atomic monster movie, the original Japanese version is a deep, thought provoking anti nuclear allegory.
Old 09-27-17, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, you didn't hate it so I'm calling it a win! :P

I would certainly agree that "melancholic" is an appropriate characterization of this one, but I would like to qualify that by clarifying that it isn't a monotonous downer. It's about the husband processing something difficult and the wife processing the husband's processing. There's a vulnerability here that resonated with me.

I felt the conflict developed organically, too, which has not been the case for me with a lot of movies. Usually there's a sense that something happens because the structure of the story needs that thing to happen, rather than because it's where the characters would go next with their journey. 45 Years is a slow burn, and while it does lead to an explosion of sorts, it's a much smaller scale explosion than I think we're used to in film, and I think that's another part that endeared it to me.

I dig that you dug that one. I know this particular challenge is more miss than hit for you, so it's exciting for me on a personal level when you have a hit!
Definitely call it a win! I am glad I watched it. It's definitely outside of what I normally am drawn to. I thought the actors all did a great job and it was well paced and filmed. That being said...Got a little frustrated at the wife. I'll put the rest in spoilers though...

Spoiler:
We find out that she knew about Katya from the beginning. She didn't know she was pregnant, but I don't really blame her husband for not sharing all the details to his new girlfriend about his dead, old girlfriend. I know the shock of finding Katya's body was great for the both of them, but instead of talking through the issues, they're both go off into their own worlds. I know that's kind of the point, that they've been together for so long, that they no longer are tightly bound, but more cohabit the same space. However, as Kate gets more and more upset, she doesn't really do anything. Her husband, after a couple days, tries to reconnect (breakfast in bed) and gives the speech that makes him cry at the party about her.

Yet Kate just withdraws more and more-pulling her hands away at the end of the dance, for example. She ends up stewing in jealousy over a woman who's been dead for over 45 years. I know they don't have children, so maybe she's caught up in what could have been-never meeting her husband and knowing he'd have had a richer family life with children if Katya had lived. I feel like she has a right to feel that way; it's a shock for both of them when Katya's body is found. I just wish she had tried to overcome the feelings a little better. She starts taking it out on her husband who at the least, is trying to make an effort to appease her.

It's not like he cheated on her with Katya. The man lost his love and his child in one accident. THEN he meet Kate. If she's feeling like a rebound-well, that's an awfully long time to be one!

I also felt like the movie ended a little too openly for me. As the it faded to black and credits rolled, I was expecting at least another scene or two. I know that leaving it open ended is a statement in and of itself, but I guess I was hoping for some sort of final clue to their relationship. Did Kate come to grips with this? Did the husband go see Katya's body? Did they end up divorcing or separating? The whole movie covers only 6 days or so. It seems like a very short time to handle all the emotions that developed and I guess I just want more than a question mark at the end.

So yeah, pretty ambivalent on this one!

You are right that I tend to have more misses than hits in the Criterion Challenge. But the hits really do make up for the misses! It's why I keep plugging along with it.

I did also enjoy King Kong this year. Still think Harold and Maude is better, but I think Kong is a good gateway movie into the challenge for those not quite sure about it.
Old 09-27-17, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm 20 films deep into the film festival I'm attending, but I'll take a moment to say that I really enjoyed Punch-Drunk Love. It wasn't my first viewing of it, but it really struck me this time. I ordered the Blu-ray version of it right after I watched the library version of the DVD. Just had to have it.

I also bought Lost In America during the month and preordered The Lure, Vampyr and Jabberwocky.
Old 09-27-17, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I realized I hadn't watched The Black Stallion yet this challenge so I decided to today. I have always been a fan of this movie since first saw it. I think it must have been the movie that introduced the idea that people make movies out of books. It was also likely it introduced me to the idea that the two sometimes have a lot of differences!

Love the filmography on this movie. Everything is very grand. Francis Ford Coppola made it so you don't miss the dialogue-instead of being spoken, it's being shown.

That being said, I have to admit to being a bit disappointed in the Criterion treatment of this film. Some of the picture is very clear and crisp, but a lot is still very grainy and makes me feel like I'm still watching the movie on my tiny little 13 inch TV on the VCR. One of the scenes has Alec staring up at the blue sky with white puffy clouds and it's just horrible. It could almost be considered static. :/

There is an included essay but it's on the back of a large poster of Alec and the Black which makes it hard to read. I'm also worried about tearing it or snagging it as it's pretty large when unfolded.

The other bonus features include supplemental films and an interview with the director of photography. I have to look again for the interview as I didn't see it on first go through of the menus before the film started.

It would have been nice to have some commentary on here about the filming of it or something on Mickey Rooney as he died about a year before this came out on Criterion.

I guess I've seen some of the extras Criterion has put together for other films and wish this was treated just a little better, but I'm sure that's more to do with my fondness for the film than anything...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.