Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chad
Print Wikipost

Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist)

Old 09-11-17, 05:06 PM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

I'll take Vampires if it's still out there.
Old 09-11-17, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
I'll get some choices by tomorrow at the latest.
Sounds good.

Originally Posted by Shack
I'll take Vampires if it's still out there.
That one may have been taken by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi. Just in case it wouldn't be a bad idea to give alternate suggestions from at least one of the other three:
  • 1980s Video Companies: Media Home Entertainment
  • 1967 Vs. 1992
  • R.I.P. Tobe Hooper
Old 09-11-17, 10:01 PM

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Might be a bit late but The Pit would be a good suggestion for the Friends subset, and it had a Blu ray release in the past year.
Old 09-12-17, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

May want to add Martin Landau (1928–2017) to the checklist.
Old 09-12-17, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
Sounds good.

That one may have been taken by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi. Just in case it wouldn't be a bad idea to give alternate suggestions from at least one of the other three:
  • 1980s Video Companies: Media Home Entertainment
  • 1967 Vs. 1992
  • R.I.P. Tobe Hooper
I'll claim 1980s Video Companies: Media Home Entertainment but also see about alts for the others.
Old 09-12-17, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here's some picks

1980s Video Companies: Media Home Entertainment
- Sleepaway Camp
- Invaders From Mars (1986)
- Day of the Dead
- Basket Case
- I Drink Your Blood

R.I.P. Tobe Hooper
- Invaders From Mars (1986)

This is a really good site for checking distributor releases http://vhscollector.com/distributor-..._selective=All
Old 09-12-17, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Alright, here's what is left:
  • 1967 Vs. 1992
  • R.I.P. Tobe Hooper

Vampires is reserved for Shack.

And we're still in need of 1 volunteer.

Originally Posted by WillieMLF
May want to add Martin Landau (1928–2017) to the checklist.
Don't know what happened there, but added it back to post 9. Apparently it was either accidentally deleted or didn't make the transition over.

This is a really good site for checking distributor releases http://vhscollector.com/distributor-..._selective=All
I'll add that as a link. Much easier to navigate.
Old 09-12-17, 07:03 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

i have a suggestion for 1967 vs 1992

jess franco's succubus (1967)
Maniac Cop III for 1992
Old 09-13-17, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Alright, here's what is left:
  • 1967 Vs. 1992
  • R.I.P. Tobe Hooper
Are you looking for group suggestions on these?
Old 09-13-17, 09:15 AM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Here are two Vampire suggestions, off the top of my head (both available on Netflix streaming):
Byzantium (2012) - which I have seen
Night Watch (2004) - which I have yet to see

Neither has been used before, and they're a little different from most traditional vampire fare.

I can look for more, particularly if you're looking for older selections.
Old 09-13-17, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by WillieMLF
Are you looking for group suggestions on these?
No, the only group voting left is for the Criterion and comedy crossovers. Those are intended for the remaining volunteers.

Originally Posted by Shack
Here are two Vampire suggestions, off the top of my head (both available on Netflix streaming):
Byzantium (2012) - which I have seen
Night Watch (2004) - which I have yet to see

Neither has been used before, and they're a little different from most traditional vampire fare.

I can look for more, particularly if you're looking for older selections.
Well, there's nothing for the 30s or 40s currently, and it's a little light on the 50s and 60s side. That said, pick what you wanna pick. We've skipped decades before.
Old 09-13-17, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As usual I'm late to the party... So I'll take Tobe Hooper. Are we making a list of movies to choose from to be voted on?
Old 09-13-17, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
As usual I'm late to the party... So I'll take Tobe Hooper. Are we making a list of movies to choose from to be voted on?
No, just check post #3 to see what's already been used and give your preferred picks for Tobe Hooper flicks. That's it.
Old 09-13-17, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, just check post #3 to see what's already been used and give your preferred picks for Tobe Hooper flicks. That's it.
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986) - Compliments the fact we watched the first one for a previous challenge
Eaten Alive - Haven't seen it but there's been quite a few copies for sale at Ollie's
The Mangler - Another unwatched for me

I haven't checked yet on streaming availability but will do soon.
Old 09-14-17, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986) - Compliments the fact we watched the first one for a previous challenge
Eaten Alive - Haven't seen it but there's been quite a few copies for sale at Ollie's
The Mangler - Another unwatched for me

I haven't checked yet on streaming availability but will do soon.
Got 'em. You're on the list.

And then there was one.
Old 09-14-17, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chronological Horror Years Faceoff - 1967 (Gold) Vs. 1992 (Silver)
Yongary, Monster from the Deep (1967) Vs. Highway to Hell (1992)

... Or do the movies have to be thematically similar?
Old 09-14-17, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nezumi
Yongary, Monster from the Deep (1967) Vs. Highway to Hell (1992)

... Or do the movies have to be thematically similar?
No. Normally only one film is actually used for this one, but I've always liked the idea of using two. Maybe we should give it a trial run this year and see how it works out? We've done it before with the Drive-In Double Feature theme.

Anyway, that's 31 volunteers, and we're actually ahead of schedule! I'll reveal the final product soon.

In the meantime, if you have any checklist suggestions now's a good time to share them. I'll be starting that soon too.
Old 09-15-17, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Another horror legend (Basil Gogos) gone.

Watch a movie that he drew?
Old 09-15-17, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

No. Normally only one film is actually used for this one, but I've always liked the idea of using two. Maybe we should give it a trial run this year and see how it works out? We've done it before with the Drive-In Double Feature theme.
Try and put it on a weekend then?
Old 09-15-17, 07:55 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by pacaway
Try and put it on a weekend then?
Or make both films the official subset pick, but you only have to watch one to complete the check? Maybe a wildcard for a different missed day if you watch both?
Old 09-15-17, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Trevor
Maybe a wildcard for a different missed day if you watch both?
I thought subset could be watched any day. It's the theme nights that are daily.
Old 09-15-17, 11:39 AM

I thought subset could be watched any day. It's the theme nights that are daily.
Yes, but I meant wildcard as in watching both of those would give you an extra check if you missed other subsets.

31 days, 32 films if 1967/1992 is two films, only need to watch 31

This is outside of other possible wild cards of Criterion and Comedy if Chad decides on those.
Old 09-15-17, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Personally I don't like the idea of subset wild cards since there is already a good amount of flexibility of when subset films can be watched. There's already not a great amount of discussion in some of the subset threads; I assume the point is to encourage people to watch and discuss some of the same films and giving an 'opt out' alternative for completion could only weaken participation from those few completist who are active in the subset discussion threads further.

I don't have a solution but it'd be nice to find ways to encourage subset participation more, kind of a bummer some of the graveyard threads. Examples: Young Frankenstein has 5 posts, Bride of Frankenstein has 6 posts, Bio-zombie has 5 posts, 3 posts on Tucker & Dale v Evil, etc etc.

We have discussed the possibility of resurrecting a prior subset film as an option to increase discussion building on some of the previous thoughts [Tucker and Dale, for example, is a popular film I'd have expected more discussion on].
Old 09-15-17, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts

I vote for not making things more complicated since I'll be knee-deep in pumpkin ale all month.
Old 09-15-17, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Personally I don't like the idea of subset wild cards since there is already a good amount of flexibility of when subset films can be watched. There's already not a great amount of discussion in some of the subset threads; I assume the point is to encourage people to watch and discuss some of the same films and giving an 'opt out' alternative for completion could only weaken participation from those few completist who are active in the subset discussion threads further.

I don't have a solution but it'd be nice to find ways to encourage subset participation more, kind of a bummer some of the graveyard threads. Examples: Young Frankenstein has 5 posts, Bride of Frankenstein has 6 posts, Bio-zombie has 5 posts, 3 posts on Tucker & Dale v Evil, etc etc.

We have discussed the possibility of resurrecting a prior subset film as an option to increase discussion building on some of the previous thoughts [Tucker and Dale, for example, is a popular film I'd have expected more discussion on].
Agree with your desire to encourage participation in the threads, but my two ideas would do nothing to discourage it. If anything, they'd increase participation. They'd give people a couple options to still "complete" that checklist, thus encouraging them to continue. Now, I imagine some people miss a couple themes, or can't find or refuse to watch a couple subset films, so they give up on the rest and decrease our postings and discussion.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.