Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chad
Print Wikipost

Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist)

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-17, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Originally Posted by WillieMLF
I'm up for the Killer Tongue as I seemed to have missed it. I seem to remember the discussion was a bit of fun to read through, and I seem to vaguely remember Trevor was a big fan
Stars the chick from ROTLDIII! Also has Robert Englund and Doug Bradley! Can't recommend highly enough.

$6.50ish shipped here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Killer-Tongu...sAAOxy4fBTlPU7
Old 08-31-17, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

I can't say that I've really liked any Rob Zombie film, some I outright hated, yet I seem compelled to still watch them. I haven't seen his latest. Maybe I'll give it a spin during the challenge. I sometimes admire the spirit in his films. He clearly loves the genre and has given genre veterans some good work, which I appreciate, but as Undeadcow said, he's no Tarantino. I think Lords of Salem worked as well as it did because he was borrowing from better movies in that one.
Old 08-31-17, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Stars the chick from ROTLDIII! Also has Robert Englund and Doug Bradley! Can't recommend highly enough.

$6.50ish shipped here:
Don't listen to this man's lies. He's trying to lead you to a dark place that no one should go.

While we're on the subject, please don't tempt me to buy the Blu-ray of Shakma! Because I'm just stupid enough to do it.
Old 08-31-17, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
While we're on the subject, please don't tempt me to buy the Blu-ray of Shakma! Because I'm just stupid enough to do it.
Look up DaveyJoe's epic video in the Shakma thread, theres no reason to sit through the whole movie when you have that. Buy Neon Maniacs instead.
Old 08-31-17, 08:56 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Look up DaveyJoe's epic video in the Shakma thread, theres no reason to sit through the whole movie when you have that.
That was so epic. I love DaveyJoe. Heck, I love you all!
Old 08-31-17, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Here's my Shakma video review, I hope you enjoy:

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mkbR0dZlSy0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-31-17, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

...listen to this man.... a dark place... should go.
Old 08-31-17, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

I can't wait for October.
Old 08-31-17, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

Only another 30 days
Old 08-31-17, 10:30 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

I was extremely unclear earlier and I apologize. I was suggesting that we rewatch previous subset picks in a return of the weekly horror club. I completely agree that there are still plenty of good movies to be chosen for the subsets without repeating any of the really good movies that we have already watched for it.
Old 08-31-17, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I forgot about the Shakma video! After watching that, I don't think there's much more to say about the movie.

Originally Posted by SterlingBen

$6.50ish shipped here:
Old 08-31-17, 11:59 PM

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm not sure where I heard it (maybe from here) but to get SHAKMA to attack the doors like that they would have female baboon that was in heat on the other side of the door. You can even see his little dong in one of the shots of that video.
Old 09-01-17, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

I can't say that I've really liked any Rob Zombie film, some I outright hated, yet I seem compelled to still watch them. I haven't seen his latest. Maybe I'll give it a spin during the challenge. I sometimes admire the spirit in his films. He clearly loves the genre and has given genre veterans some good work, which I appreciate, but as Undeadcow said, he's no Tarantino. I think Lords of Salem worked as well as it did because he was borrowing from better movies in that one.
Originally Posted by mallratcal
Well nuts.

I'd like to suggest everyone stays away from The Haunted World of El Superbeasto, at least. It's not Killer Tongue bad, but still not great.
It's amazing people kept giving Rob Zombie money to make 'movies' as long as he has; I admire the gutsy depravity in some of his films but it doesn't seem like he has much of an eye for subtlety or artistry and often resorts to cliches (which I think is his sort of odd meta Tarantino style homage attempt at humor). I'm surprised he didn't get labelled the 'El Superbeasto' guy and drummed out of movies quicker. Lords of Salem eventually showed some promise and House of 1k Corpses was a refreshingly modern update on the hodge podge of ideas from other movies but otherwise I don't see what people like about Zombie's films.
El was not too bad. It's an animated film, after all. They all can't be Nightmare Before Christmas but it isn't on the worst of animated horror films. Lords of Salem had promise, but budgets and an untimely death (if I'm not mistaken) kind of let it go off the wheels. Still, the score was really good. His latest film, 31 was kind of bad, though. I wish he stuck with the Firefly family as those were really good films. Halloween itself was not too bad, especially when you dive into the director's cut instead of the theater release. But, you just cannot remake legendary films because it will get shit all over it. But honestly, while a lot of the horror community bloggers and online critics will trash his films, he is still doing something right because people want to work with him and do his films. He's gotten some great names to be involved in his movies and continue to work with him.
Old 09-01-17, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

I actually liked the Halloween remake. Haven't actually seen any of his others.
Old 09-01-17, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
Let me know what other subsets to revisit, and I can put a featured section under the current list.

Shakma
It's Alive

Anything else?
YES! I ended up dropping big money on that Shakma blu during the last Diabolik sale. Can't wait!
Old 09-01-17, 11:28 AM

It's me. I'm the one that enjoys Lords of Salem.
Old 09-01-17, 02:18 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

It's me. I'm the one that enjoys Lords of Salem.
I like lords of salem too
Old 09-01-17, 04:24 PM

I keep buying and trying Rob Zombie films, and am not sure why. I guess their high profile and occasional great reviews by you all. So far, looks like I've rated them in the 2-5 out of 10 range, and downright hated a couple, but will probably try 31 next month anyway.
Old 09-01-17, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

If I do check out 31 someday, well, it's gonna be safely away from the confines of the challenge.

And BTW, all this Rob Zombie talk is confusing during preparation and I accidentally put down El Superbeasto for at least 3 animated subset suggestions, so thanks for that.
Old 09-01-17, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

This talk about Rob Zombie (I liked Lords of Salem too) makes me think about the state of horror, I'm a little out of touch with things but are there any standout horror directors from the past 5 years? The most modern directors that come to mind are those in the 'Splat Pack' but many (like Eli Roth, waht has he done lately?) were most active in the 2000s. The death of George Romero and Tobe Hooper makes me wonder if we will see future Stephen King / Clive Barker style luminaries whose names are immediately connected with epic horror content or if the state of things is to just have an occasional one shot horror film from a lucky indie director and as a side project of a mainstream celebrity. I'm not a fan of Rob Zombie and hopefully he's not the last to stake his name/reputation on horror. I looked through directors on the checklist over the past 5 years and don't see a lot of modern ones (maybe it just takes time to build a legacy).
Old 09-01-17, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
If I do check out 31 someday, well, it's gonna be safely away from the confines of the challenge.

And BTW, all this Rob Zombie talk is confusing during preparation and I accidentally put down El Superbeasto for at least 3 animated subset suggestions, so thanks for that.
Rob Zombie ruins everything!

This talk about Rob Zombie (I liked Lords of Salem too) makes me think about the state of horror, I'm a little out of touch with things but are there any standout horror directors from the past 5 years? The most modern directors that come to mind are those in the 'Splat Pack' but many (like Eli Roth, waht has he done lately?) were most active in the 2000s. The death of George Romero and Tobe Hooper makes me wonder if we will see future Stephen King / Clive Barker style luminaries whose names are immediately connected with epic horror content or if the state of things is to just have an occasional one shot horror film from a lucky indie director and as a side project of a mainstream celebrity. I'm not a fan of Rob Zombie and hopefully he's not the last to stake his name/reputation on horror. I looked through directors on the checklist over the past 5 years and don't see a lot of modern ones (maybe it just takes time to build a legacy).
Just a few standout horror directors of the last few years:

James Wan (Conjuring, Insidious)

Robert Eggers (The VVitch, upcoming Nosferatsu)

Mike Flanagan (Hush, Oculus)

Adam Wingard (You're Next, Blair Witch)

Oz Perkins (Blackcoat's Daughter, I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House)
Old 09-01-17, 06:26 PM

I was planning to see 31 last year but some health issues put the kibosh on that (and most of my viewing time) but I think I will give it a shot this year. I may not like most of Zombie's movies but I always end up seeing them.

The biggest problem with El Superbeasto is that it tries to be funny and it just fails.

I'd list The Guest with Adam Wingard's good horror movies. I think he has a lot of talent.

James Wan is probably the king of horror right now.
Old 09-01-17, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

DaveyJoe mentioned some good directors. I would add Ti West as someone who is trying to build his name in horror. I guess he's similar to Zombie in trying to put his own voice in recycling familiar subgenres, but I've generally found his films more effective - or at least better crafted. I know I've missed at least one West film. Another challenge possibility for me.

The checklist isn't the best indicator because one of the prerequisites is an extensive filmography. Someone on the rise isn't going to have that yet. If I didn't have long weekend on the brain, I might be able to add another name. Astron-6 perhaps? I'd like to see Guillermo del Toro do more horror.

The biggest problem with El Superbeasto is that it tries to be funny and it just fails.
I very much agree. It was painfully unfunny.
Old 09-02-17, 05:32 PM

I very much agree. It was painfully unfunny.
And there is nothing worse than an unfunny comedy.
Old 09-02-17, 08:41 PM

Hopefully we get things moving here and finish off the subset and checklist by mid September. It'd be cool to have two weeks to plan out rentals and purchases, checklist qualifiers, etc.

We need what, six more volunteers? Step up!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.