Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chad
Print Wikipost

Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist)

Old 08-17-17, 01:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Originally Posted by Chad
It's late, so here's the biggest vote-getter for each category that made the cut...

Small Town Horrors (new)

Splatter/Gore (returning)

I'll announce more tomorrow.
Cool beans. Just a thought maybe Small Town Horrors could be placed on Saturday October 27th in honor of Stranger Things Season 2 being released that day since people were mentioning previously they wanted a theme to tie into it somehow this could be it?
Old 08-17-17, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

I want to add my vote for

Pregnancy Horror
Bad Horror Movies
Apocalyptic Horror

The pregnancy horror is in honor of cwiley.
Old 08-17-17, 06:19 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My votes:
R.I.P. Fangoria (1979 - 2016) / Video Watchdog (1990 - 2016)
Martial Arts / Kung Fu Horror Films
The Horrors of USA Up All Night
15th Anniversary of The Rondo Hatton Awards
Mummies
Folklore, Urban Legends & Fairy Tale Horror
Day of the Woman - Female Directed Horror Films
20th Anniversary of Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Zombies + R.I.P. George A. Romero
Vampires & Apocalyptic Horror
Werewolves / Were-Creatures On A Full Moon
All Hallows Eve Horrifically Hideous Hellfest / Samhain: An Evening of Celtic Horror
Old 08-17-17, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

And there's still 8 subset spots remaining. We're falling behind, people. This could turn out to be the first time ever that all volunteer spots were filled before subset picking even begins. Seriously.

Also, I'll be announcing the first round of themes making the cut very soon. Don't know how many rounds there will be before hitting the elimination round, because you never know how things will work out. Just a heads up for those who haven't voted.

Yeah, I've noticed that, and they are. Always be sure to check the Returning Favorites section under the suggestions before voting. The Chrono Horror Years already achieved "permanent" rotating status, and Apocalyptic was added to the vampire theme for reasons I can't remember and just stuck around. And Halloween? Come on!
Can we split Vampire and Apocalypse? I could have sworn they were separate at some point. Each seems to cover a lot of ground.
Old 08-17-17, 07:54 AM

Received 96 Likes on 36 Posts

My votes:
Horror Parties
The 1950s
Horror Films with Synth Scores
The Horrors of USA Up All Night
Skulls
Mummies
Animated Horror Films
Random Maniacal Mashup
Evil Twins & Doppelgangers
Writers
Comic Book / Graphic Novel & Video Game Horrors
Friends 'til the End
Day of the Woman
Pregnancy Horror

I'm in favor of substituting "Caribbean Islands ~ Central American ~ Hispanic Icons ~ Mexican ~ South American" for European/Asian. Don't have a strong opinion on the 1980s video company but Media Home Entertainment looks good to me.

Also, I will do a subset pick.
Old 08-17-17, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by WillieMLF
Can we split Vampire and Apocalypse? I could have sworn they were separate at some point. Each seems to cover a lot of ground.
I second this; although I would like to not have apocalyptic altogether and just a pure vampire theme. Apocalyptic seems way too open ended likely to encompass zombies, vampires, virus, killer plants, etc.
Old 08-17-17, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts

What about a general danger theme?
Old 08-17-17, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by arw6040
Cool beans. Just a thought maybe Small Town Horrors could be placed on Saturday October 27th in honor of Stranger Things Season 2 being released that day since people were mentioning previously they wanted a theme to tie into it somehow this could be it?
I like that idea. Especially since there are a LOT of good movies and shows that tie into this, should be on a weekend.
Old 08-17-17, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been managing to to accumulate a pile of Bigfoot movies over the past year, and wanted to advance that theme again. I'm pretty sure we did it last year....

How is Stranger Things? Everyone at work is talking about it and I just finished with The Night Of, and was looking for something to start.
Old 08-17-17, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by arw6040

Originally Posted by jacob_b
I like that idea. Especially since there are a LOT of good movies and shows that tie into this, should be on a weekend.
Done!

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
I second this; although I would like to not have apocalyptic altogether and just a pure vampire theme. Apocalyptic seems way too open ended likely to encompass zombies, vampires, virus, killer plants, etc.
Also done. And needs a new link.

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
What about a general danger theme?
I've been looking for an "impending doom" list unsuccessfully, but I'll keep trying.

How is Stranger Things? Everyone at work is talking about it and I just finished with The Night Of, and was looking for something to start.
I think it lives up to the hype. To me it's a melding of 1980's Steven Spielberg and Stephen King with a John Carpenter-esque score.
Old 08-17-17, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

I've been managing to to accumulate a pile of Bigfoot movies over the past year, and wanted to advance that theme again. I'm pretty sure we did it last year....

I enjoyed it. Always love Mrs. Ryder and has a nice throwback 80's feel. How was The Night Of? I heard good things about it.
Old 08-17-17, 04:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Done!
Oops meant Friday October 27th not Saturday.

I agree that Stranger Things is worth checking out for the same reasons others have said so far.
Old 08-17-17, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just wanted to mention that Ghostwatch is on Shudder. I only bring it up because last year it was suggested as a subset pick for the Halloween theme, and it didn't happen due to the shitty quality YouTube upload.

Also, the WNUF Halloween Special.
Old 08-17-17, 04:30 PM

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

I thought Stranger Things was pretty great.

I will vote for everything in the returning subset list. They are all classics.
Old 08-17-17, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

Hmmm.. nothing suggested was used.

I vote for everything returning.
Old 08-17-17, 06:27 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

Just wanted to mention that Ghostwatch is on Shudder. I only bring it up because last year it was suggested as a subset pick for the Halloween theme, and it didn't happen due to the shitty quality YouTube upload.

I am not usually in favor of paying for any more channels (I have Netflix, Amazon Prime and Hulu) but I have to recommend Shudder. After using it last year it is an automatic add for me every October from now on. If there was only some way to get Turner Classic Movies on Demand without having a cable subscription I would definitely be set.
Old 08-17-17, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's late, so here's the biggest vote-getter for each category that made the cut...

Small Town Horrors (new)

Splatter/Gore (returning)

I'll announce more tomorrow.
And the next round that made the cut...

R.I.P. Fangoria / Video Watchdog

Mummies - Disregard what I previously said, this is now the biggest vote-getter.

Horror Parties - Currently tied w/ Small Town Horrors for 2nd.

IMDB Lowest Rated Horror

Animated Horror Films

Pregnancy Horror - In honor of cwileyy's expected-in-Oct announcement.

Caribbean Islands ~ Central American ~ Hispanic Icons ~ Mexican ~ South American - Yeah, that name will probably change.

Currently that puts themes at 25 spots occupied out of 31 (excluding crossovers).

And there probably will be some extra voting required to settle some ties.
Old 08-17-17, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Currently that puts themes at 25 spots occupied out of 31 (excluding crossovers).
Actually, the Mass Marathon of the Damned 8 spot is vacant. I suggest we put Horror Parties there, because it makes for a great weekend theme, and there's 330 titles to boot.
Old 08-17-17, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Curiously, related to animated horror, do people feel like Scooby Doo 'counts'? In the past I have felt Scooby does count because horror themes, but it is sometimes more 'comedy' than anything else - I'd be interested in other takes.

If it works it might be good to have animated horror on the weekend for those of us with little ones, I sometimes have to find more tame family friendly stuff on Saturdays-Sundays anyway.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 08-17-17 at 08:19 PM.
Old 08-17-17, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

How is that? I keep seeing that for sale and I've never heard of it until recently.
Old 08-17-17, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Curiously, related to animated horror, do people feel like Scooby Doo 'counts'? In the past I have felt Scooby does count because horror themes, but it is sometimes more 'comedy' than anything else - I'd be interested in other takes.
I'd assume the majority of the movies do, and that's based on the one I've actually seen (Witch's Ghost). Been meaning to watch Scooby-Doo on Zombie Island for the past decade after seeing Brian Cox flipping past it in Trick r' Treat.

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
How is that? I keep seeing that for sale and I've never heard of it until recently.
It's not Ghostwatch quality, but definitely worthy of a viewing. Especially so if you're into 80s VHS nostalgia. The fake TV ads do sort of drag it down a bit though.
Old 08-17-17, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

BTW, we could use some more returning theme votes.

A good portion of the last batch were for ones already on the list, so remember to check post #6 before giving them. It's got everything on the list up to this point.
Old 08-18-17, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

I added Shudder last October and plan to this year too. I first saw Tucker And Dale vs Evil, on Shudder's Premium live channel last year.
Old 08-18-17, 01:35 AM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

That is so awesome! How's the quality on this? I'm sure it's better than YouTube, but hoping it might lead to a BD release!
Old 08-18-17, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jacob_b
I enjoyed it. Always love Mrs. Ryder and has a nice throwback 80's feel. How was The Night Of? I heard good things about it.
I thought it was pretty powerful stuff. I knew I had recognized the main guy Riz Ahmed, but I just couldn't place him. He's in the newest Star Wars movie, Bodhi the pilot. He says some variation of 'I'm Bodhi the pilot', about a dozen times in Rogue One.

Thanks everyone for the Stranger Things praise. I'll probably try and watch the first season soon.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.