Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chad
Print Wikipost

Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist)

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-17, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Already up to 11 volunteers. Not bad.

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Based on Folklore and/or Urban Legends (Ex: Leprechaun, Mothman Prophecy, Manitou)
http://www.tasteofcinema.com/2014/th...und-the-world/
http://screenrant.com/horror-movies-...urban-legends/
Originally Posted by PCBreakdown
Fairy Tale Horror: http://www.imdb.com/search/keyword?k...&genres=Horror (48) EDIT: Which I now see has already been suggested like 2 posts up under folklore, so yeah, voting for that.
Any objections to combining them?

Based on Folklore and/or Urban Legends, 2 & Fairy Tale Horror

Originally Posted by cwileyy
This seems like a sign of good things to come!
13 is our 7. No triskaidekaphobia here.
Old 07-28-17, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

I'm up for picking a subset film
Old 07-28-17, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Have we ever done a Jungle Horror theme? IMDB lists 139 potential titles
http://www.imdb.com/search/keyword?k...ef_=kw_ref_gnr

And how about replacing Fangoria with Video Watchdog this year? They just released their final issue ever and have been a fantastic publication for many years.
Old 07-29-17, 10:42 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm willing to do a subset pick. I'll even try to watch my own pick (I didn't find my Witchboard DVD until a couple months after the end of the challenge. Maybe I'll watch it again this year).
Old 07-29-17, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 225 Likes on 165 Posts

My participation will be extremely limited this year, but I'm always up for a subset pick if you need one.

Also, as far as subsets go, how about Twinsanity? Horror films featuring twins? The IMDB search that I did came up woefully short, excluding such films as The Shining and Basket Case. We'd probably have to build our own list of films.
Old 07-29-17, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Have we ever done anything involving numbers in the title (not including a sequel number) Example: Seven Women For Satan, Two Evil Eyes, 3 On A Meathook etc...
Old 07-29-17, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Chad
Actually, we did do a snowy/frozen theme and a summer-themed one. I'll have to check on that last one.
Turns out we did already do a buried one, but not for drowning (excluding the checklist entry). Added.

Originally Posted by SethDLH
And how about replacing Fangoria with Video Watchdog this year? They just released their final issue ever and have been a fantastic publication for many years.
Can't believe I forgot that one. I'll tack it on to the RIP Fango theme; it can be both.

I know we just did a Fango one last year for the Chainsaw Awards, but it's just such an iconic mag we can't not acknowledge its demise. All I can think of is doing both based on films that were represented on the covers, just like the Forrest J. Ackerman theme (w/ Famous Monsters of Filmland) from last year that didn't make the cut. If someone has a better idea please do share.

Originally Posted by SethDLH
Have we ever done anything involving numbers in the title (not including a sequel number) Example: Seven Women For Satan, Two Evil Eyes, 3 On A Meathook etc...
I'll have to check on that one.
Old 07-29-17, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rbrown498
Also, as far as subsets go, how about Twinsanity? Horror films featuring twins? The IMDB search that I did came up woefully short, excluding such films as The Shining and Basket Case. We'd probably have to build our own list of films.
A Google search resulted in 23, that is, if you consider an Olsen twins movie as horror. There's also an IMDB search with almost twice that. I'm guessing those keywords are user-submitted because some are very suspect.

Last edited by Chad; 07-29-17 at 05:54 PM.
Old 07-29-17, 09:15 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm good for a subset pick.

Suggestions for themes:
Film Industry
Home Invasions
Lost in the Woods

Suggestions for Checklist:
Masked Villain
Don Calfa (9)
Bill Paxton (14)
Martin Landau (8)
Old 07-29-17, 11:01 PM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Chad, put me down for picking a movie
Old 07-30-17, 07:41 AM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

[For twins theme idea] A Google search resulted in 23, that is, if you consider an Olsen twins movie as horror. There's also an IMDB search with almost twice that. I'm guessing those keywords are user-submitted because some are very suspect.
Maybe combining 'twins' with 'doppelganger,' 'doubles,' 'mirrors,' and/or 'dark others' (even 'clones' or Jekyl/Hyde) would increase the amount of options but stick with similar style and imagery; although I'm not finding a lot of lists for those either. Ex: Army of Darkness, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Black Swan, It Follows, etc.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 07-30-17 at 07:49 AM.
Old 07-30-17, 08:16 AM

Maybe combining 'twins' with 'doppelganger,' 'doubles,' 'mirrors,' and/or 'dark others' (even 'clones' or Jekyl/Hyde) would increase the amount of options but stick with similar style and imagery; although I'm not finding a lot of lists for those either. Ex: Army of Darkness, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Black Swan, It Follows, etc.
And if you use "twin" as the search term, it gives you half as many more than using "twins." Wonky, it is.

Maybe this would make a better checklist item.

Last edited by rbrown498; 07-30-17 at 08:44 AM.
Old 07-30-17, 08:43 AM

For the checklist, how about "Watch a film with the word 'It' in the title"?

It (2017), It Follows, It Comes at Night, It Came from Outer Space, It Conquered the World, It Came from Beneath the Sea, It (1990 Made-for-TV), It! (1967 Roddy McDowell golem movie), It's Alive, It Lives Again, It! The Terror from Beyond Space, etc.
Old 07-30-17, 09:02 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

It's mentioned above, I'm confused by the wording, but in honor of the total eclipse maybe a theme night (or one year checklist item) could involve solar or eclipse related things. Not sure if there are enough, but with it being so topical it might be worth examining.
Old 07-30-17, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, that certainly makes a difference. "Doppelganger" alone brings in 68 additional entries. Coincidentally, that's the second list with Fire Walk with Me as the #1 spot (also for '1992'). Now I'm really wanting a Twin Peaks-related theme.

There's also apparently a difference in results depending on which list you use. If you go by a Keyword Search (clicking on a keyword and then selecting genre, feature film, etc.) it only yields 63 titles. The above was done by an Advanced Title Search and it resulted in 5 more. Then again, it could be something I did.
Old 07-30-17, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tarfrimmer
Suggestions for themes:
Film Industry
Home Invasions
Lost in the Woods
I think all of those have already been covered, but, again, I'll have to check.
Old 07-30-17, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor
It's mentioned above, I'm confused by the wording, but in honor of the total eclipse maybe a theme night (or one year checklist item) could involve solar or eclipse related things. Not sure if there are enough, but with it being so topical it might be worth examining.
Twelve, and surprisingly yields more results than Sci-Fi. It's really too bad the solar eclipse doesn't take place in October. To have had it and a Friday the 13th during challenge #13 would have really been something. Could work as an add on theme or a checklist item.
Old 07-30-17, 04:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speaking of eclipse theme The Watcher In The Woods (1980) is one of my favorites from childhood that suits that theme well & just saw recently that they are releasing a lifetime TV movie remake of it during the challenge October 21st might check it out. I don't have high expectations but curious lol. Melissa Joan Hart from Sabrina The Teenage Witch is also directing it: http://ew.com/tv/2017/07/18/watcher-...jelica-huston/
Old 07-30-17, 08:26 PM

Twelve, and surprisingly yields more results than Sci-Fi. It's really too bad the solar eclipse doesn't take place in October. To have had it and a Friday the 13th during challenge #13 would have really been something. Could work as an add on theme or a checklist item.
Not just specific to solar eclipse, but also just solar. I'm drawing a blank but I know they're a few films with flying or staring into the sun being key elements.

Also, has anyone created a master lists of all the themes? I thought we had one but can't find it in this thread.
Old 07-30-17, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not just specific to solar eclipse, but also just solar. I'm drawing a blank but I know they're a few films with flying or staring into the sun being key elements.
Oh, my bad. Nothing really comes to mind, although plugging in "Sun" results in this.

Also, has anyone created a master lists of all the themes? I thought we had one but can't find it in this thread.
Just what you see on post 2. For the past couple or so years I've been meaning to do an alphabetical master list (that excludes duplicates) much like what rbrown498 started with the subset list. That unfortunately has yet to happen.
Old 07-31-17, 04:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just what you see on post 2. For the past couple or so years I've been meaning to do an alphabetical master list (that excludes duplicates) much like what rbrown498 started with the subset list. That unfortunately has yet to happen.
I had free time + insomnia (though going to try to sleep soon so may not see replies until later today if I am successful in falling asleep). The spoiler tag contains an alphabetized list of all the past themes we've used in our horror challenge. Pretty sure I got it all (shortened some of the categories not to include the word horror since implied + some grouped together similar subjects, not perfect but thought would try to help) .
Spoiler:
  1. "Exploding Head"
  2. "Inspired By True Events"
  3. "Vs." Horror Films
  4. 100th Birthday Celebration of Mario Bava & William Castle
  5. 1960's Cinema
  6. 1963 (50th) Vs. 1988 (25th)
  7. 1964 (50th) Vs. 1989 (25th)
  8. 1965 (Gold) Vs. 1990 (Silver)
  9. 1966 (Gold) Vs. 1991 (Silver)
  10. 1970s Horror Cinema
  11. 1980's Video Companies (Spotlights: Vestron, Embassy)
  12. 35 Years of Fangoria Covers
  13. Abandoned Places
  14. Action
  15. Anthologies
  16. Apartment
  17. Apocalyptic
  18. Arthouse
  19. Attics & Basements
  20. Australian / New Zealand
  21. B&W
  22. BFI's 100 European Horror Films
  23. Babysitters / Nannies / Governesses
  24. Backwoods
  25. Based on Horror Novels: Lovecraft / Poe / King / Matheson
  26. Bathrooms & Kitchens
  27. Bats / Cats / & Rats
  28. Before They Were Stars
  29. Bela @ 130 & Bram @ 165
  30. Bigfoots, Yetis & Tiny Terrors
  31. Blood and Snow / Ice Terrors
  32. Body
  33. Book of the Dead
  34. Campground Tales / Summer Themed
  35. Canadian
  36. Cannibalism
  37. Careful with that Axe, Eugene!
  38. Chapels of Horror
  39. Cheesy 80's
  40. Christmas
  41. Cinema Inspired By Edgar Allen Poe
  42. Cinema Inspired By Richard Matheson
  43. Cinema Inspired by Stephen King
  44. Class Warfare
  45. Comedy / Spoof
  46. Conspiracy / Political
  47. Crazy Love
  48. Creature Features / When Animals Attack
  49. Creepy Kids
  50. Cult
  51. Curses
  52. Dark Shadows 50th Anniversary
  53. Death By Decapitation
  54. Demented Dads & Bad Mothas
  55. Demonic Possession / Satanic
  56. Deserted Island
  57. Documentaries
  58. Dreams, Hallucinations & Drug Trips
  59. Drive-In Double Features
  60. Erotic / Sexy
  61. European Passport to Terror
  62. Evil Families
  63. Evil Trees & Plants
  64. Exploitation
  65. Extraterrestrial
  66. Eyes of Death
  67. Family-Friendly
  68. Fanaticism (Religious)
  69. Fangoria Chainsaw Awards
  70. Foodservice Industry
  71. Found Footage
  72. Frankenstein / Mad Doctor
  73. Free Admission: Enter at Your Own Risk
  74. French
  75. Gothic
  76. Grave Robbing / Graveyard
  77. Halloween Related
  78. Hammer / Amicus / Ealing / Black and Blue
  79. Harvest
  80. Home Invasion
  81. Horror Films w/ Original Songs
  82. HorrorEstate
  83. Indian
  84. Infection / Epidemic / Viral
  85. Insects, Killer Animals and Giant Monsters
  86. Italian
  87. JawsSploitation / Aquatic
  88. Killer Dolls / Puppets
  89. Killer Grannies
  90. Killer Monkeys / Gorillas / Jungle
  91. Killer Robots / Evil Technology
  92. Korean / Thai / J-Horror / Indian / Chinese / Philippine / Indonesian
  93. Lesbians, Brothels & Sex Demons
  94. Made-for-TV Movies / Mini-Series
  95. Mass Marathon of the Damned
  96. Medical
  97. Meta
  98. Motorcycle
  99. Musical / Rock 'n Roll
  100. Mutants
  101. Mystery
  102. Native American / Westerns
  103. Nature Themed
  104. NetherHorror Vs. Norwegian
  105. Occult Detectives
  106. Period Piece
  107. Peter Cushing Centennial
  108. Pick Your Favorite Director
  109. Pick Your Favorite Horror Icon / Icons of Horror
  110. Planes, Trains & Automobiles
  111. Police Stations
  112. Psychic Abilities / ESP
  113. Psychological
  114. Psychotronic
  115. Public Domain
  116. R.I.P. Gunnar Hansen / Herschell Gordon Lewis / Angus Scrimm
  117. R.I.P. Sir Christopher Lee
  118. R.I.P. Wes Craven
  119. Rape / Revenge
  120. Remakes Vs. Sequels
  121. Retail Establishment
  122. Road Terrors
  123. Rubber Suit
  124. Schools Out ...Forever
  125. Sci-Fi Horror
  126. Scream Queens
  127. Sibling Rivalry
  128. Slashers / Giallos / Serial Killers / Masked Killers
  129. Spanish
  130. Splatter / Gore
  131. Stormy Weather
  132. Stranger Things -&- Unconventional Movie Monsters
  133. Subterranean
  134. Supernatural / Haunted House / Ghost / Quiet / Soft
  135. Teen Screams
  136. Telephone
  137. Theaters of Blood
  138. Third Reich
  139. Travel (Vacation)
  140. Universal Monsters
  141. Urban
  142. Vampire
  143. Video Nasties
  144. Vincent Price Filmography
  145. Web of Horror
  146. Werewolves
  147. Witchcraft
  148. You'll Never Check Out
  149. Zombie

Last edited by arw6040; 07-31-17 at 06:32 AM.
Old 07-31-17, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by arw6040
I had free time + insomnia (though going to try to sleep soon so may not see replies until later today if I am successful in falling asleep). The spoiler tag contains an alphabetized list of all the past themes we've used in our horror challenge. Pretty sure I got it all (shortened some of the categories not to include the word horror since implied + some grouped together similar subjects, not perfect but thought would try to help) .
Spoiler:
  1. "Exploding Head"
  2. "Inspired By True Events"
  3. "Vs." Horror Films
  4. 100th Birthday Celebration of Mario Bava & William Castle
  5. 1960's Cinema
  6. 1963 (50th) Vs. 1988 (25th)
  7. 1964 (50th) Vs. 1989 (25th)
  8. 1965 (Gold) Vs. 1990 (Silver)
  9. 1966 (Gold) Vs. 1991 (Silver)
  10. 1970s Horror Cinema
  11. 1980's Video Companies (Spotlights: Vestron, Embassy)
  12. 35 Years of Fangoria Covers
  13. Abandoned Places
  14. Action
  15. Anthologies
  16. Apartment
  17. Apocalyptic
  18. Arthouse
  19. Attics & Basements
  20. Australian / New Zealand
  21. B&W
  22. BFI's 100 European Horror Films
  23. Babysitters / Nannies / Governesses
  24. Backwoods
  25. Based on Horror Novels: Lovecraft / Poe / King / Matheson
  26. Bathrooms & Kitchens
  27. Bats / Cats / & Rats
  28. Before They Were Stars
  29. Bela @ 130 & Bram @ 165
  30. Bigfoots, Yetis & Tiny Terrors
  31. Blood and Snow / Ice Terrors
  32. Body
  33. Book of the Dead
  34. Campground Tales / Summer Themed
  35. Canadian
  36. Cannibalism
  37. Careful with that Axe, Eugene!
  38. Chapels of Horror
  39. Cheesy 80's
  40. Christmas
  41. Cinema Inspired By Edgar Allen Poe
  42. Cinema Inspired By Richard Matheson
  43. Cinema Inspired by Stephen King
  44. Class Warfare
  45. Comedy / Spoof
  46. Conspiracy / Political
  47. Crazy Love
  48. Creature Features / When Animals Attack
  49. Creepy Kids
  50. Cult
  51. Curses
  52. Dark Shadows 50th Anniversary
  53. Death By Decapitation
  54. Demented Dads & Bad Mothas
  55. Demonic Possession / Satanic
  56. Deserted Island
  57. Documentaries
  58. Dreams, Hallucinations & Drug Trips
  59. Drive-In Double Features
  60. Erotic / Sexy
  61. European Passport to Terror
  62. Evil Families
  63. Evil Trees & Plants
  64. Exploitation
  65. Extraterrestrial
  66. Eyes of Death
  67. Family-Friendly
  68. Fanaticism (Religious)
  69. Fangoria Chainsaw Awards
  70. Foodservice Industry
  71. Found Footage
  72. Frankenstein / Mad Doctor
  73. Free Admission: Enter at Your Own Risk
  74. French
  75. Gothic
  76. Grave Robbing / Graveyard
  77. Halloween Related
  78. Hammer / Amicus / Ealing / Black and Blue
  79. Harvest
  80. Home Invasion
  81. Horror Films w/ Original Songs
  82. HorrorEstate
  83. Indian
  84. Infection / Epidemic / Viral
  85. Insects, Killer Animals and Giant Monsters
  86. Italian
  87. JawsSploitation / Aquatic
  88. Killer Dolls / Puppets
  89. Killer Grannies
  90. Killer Monkeys / Gorillas / Jungle
  91. Killer Robots / Evil Technology
  92. Korean / Thai / J-Horror / Indian / Chinese / Philippine / Indonesian
  93. Lesbians, Brothels & Sex Demons
  94. Made-for-TV Movies / Mini-Series
  95. Mass Marathon of the Damned
  96. Medical
  97. Meta
  98. Motorcycle
  99. Musical / Rock 'n Roll
  100. Mutants
  101. Mystery
  102. Native American / Westerns
  103. Nature Themed
  104. NetherHorror Vs. Norwegian
  105. Occult Detectives
  106. Period Piece
  107. Peter Cushing Centennial
  108. Pick Your Favorite Director
  109. Pick Your Favorite Horror Icon / Icons of Horror
  110. Planes, Trains & Automobiles
  111. Police Stations
  112. Psychic Abilities / ESP
  113. Psychological
  114. Psychotronic
  115. Public Domain
  116. R.I.P. Gunnar Hansen / Herschell Gordon Lewis / Angus Scrimm
  117. R.I.P. Sir Christopher Lee
  118. R.I.P. Wes Craven
  119. Rape / Revenge
  120. Remakes Vs. Sequels
  121. Retail Establishment
  122. Road Terrors
  123. Rubber Suit
  124. Schools Out ...Forever
  125. Sci-Fi Horror
  126. Scream Queens
  127. Sibling Rivalry
  128. Slashers / Giallos / Serial Killers / Masked Killers
  129. Spanish
  130. Splatter / Gore
  131. Stormy Weather
  132. Stranger Things -&- Unconventional Movie Monsters
  133. Subterranean
  134. Supernatural / Haunted House / Ghost / Quiet / Soft
  135. Teen Screams
  136. Telephone
  137. Theaters of Blood
  138. Third Reich
  139. Travel (Vacation)
  140. Universal Monsters
  141. Urban
  142. Vampire
  143. Video Nasties
  144. Vincent Price Filmography
  145. Web of Horror
  146. Werewolves
  147. Witchcraft
  148. You'll Never Check Out
  149. Zombie

Good work

I've been racking my brain trying to come up with a theme, but have come up blank.
Old 07-31-17, 10:33 AM

Awesome work arw6040, I was hoping someone had already done it or would beat me to it. Just being thorough, but maybe we should clean it up a bit to make it easier to scan thru.

Removing descriptive adjectives and maybe doubling up some listings could help. For example, if someone wanted to see if we've done a theme of children, they may not see it under "creepy kids". Remove "creepy" or at least change it to "kids, creepy", and maybe "children, creepy" too.

Lots of similar examples like anything with a "/".

Also, we'll probably eventually need to repeat themes, so we could add the years we did the themes, so as to not repeat them too close together.

I'd be happy to do this at work later this week if people agree. Just think the longer the list gets, the more it'll be hard to keep track unless it's thorough.
Old 07-31-17, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

What about expanding the twin idea to sibling horror? That should greatly increase the number of options.
Old 07-31-17, 02:04 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Epic list, awr!

If not a theme night here's a checklist idea:
Slimey, Gooey Horror (Creature Features with slime/goo or evil liquid possibly to include tentacles/Lovecraft)
Ex: Prince of Darkness, Ghostbusters II, The Blob...
http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/1...ke-you-shudder
http://www.amc.com/movie-guide/best-...monster-movies

Last edited by Undeadcow; 07-31-17 at 05:27 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.