Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

10th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-17, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: 10th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

I just heard the funniest line this month. I just finished watching the 'Emancipation' episode of Stargate SG-1, on Hulu. O'Neill said he would have to cancel that Oprah interview, to which Teal'c asked, 'What is an Oprah?'
Old 07-07-17, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Blew thru Netflix's Castlevania, tonight. I was expecting something with more episodes (there's four), but on the other hand there's no filler episodes either. It definitely skews adult with graphic violence and language. If you can manage Heavy Metal (1981), you won't have any problem with it. There's an anime influence, Vampire Hunter D if nothing else and it's already been renewed for a second season.
Old 07-08-17, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I'm going through my Science Fiction Theatre box set and came across this remake of BEDTIME FOR BONZO, but with Ward Cleaver and Della Street in the lead roles, two years before its stars became famous in their respective series ("Leave It to Beaver" and "Perry Mason"). The episode is about communication with animals, particularly Beaumont's chimp, in ways that foreshadow Koko and other experiments years later. This series was often way ahead of its time.

Old 07-08-17, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

^That was a good episode. I watched that series last year and really enjoyed it.

I watched my new BR copy of Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan (all together now... "KAAAAHN!") this morning. It remains my favorite of the Star Trek films, any cast. For a change, it was a "stand-alone" viewing. I normally watch "The Space Seed" first and follow it with "The Search for Spock."

Last edited by BobO'Link; 07-08-17 at 07:38 AM.
Old 07-08-17, 08:01 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
^That was a good episode. I watched that series last year and really enjoyed it.

I watched my new BR copy of Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan (all together now... "KAAAAHN!") this morning. It remains my favorite of the Star Trek films, any cast. For a change, it was a "stand-alone" viewing. I normally watch "The Space Seed" first and follow it with "The Search for Spock."
That's a mighty fine trilogy there Bob!

Was there a new Khan release? I have the boxset from a few years ago but I vaguely recall there being something new about II.
Old 07-08-17, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor
That's a mighty fine trilogy there Bob!

Was there a new Khan release? I have the boxset from a few years ago but I vaguely recall there being something new about II.
Yes. The latest release is sourced from a new 4K scan. It also has a new featurette, "The Genesis Effect - Engineering The Wrath of Khan" (28:12), as well as an option to watch either version, theatrical or DC, via seamless branching. The color timing has been adjusted, overseen by Nicholas Meyer. It includes the feature-length Text Commentary from Michael & Denise Okuda that was on the Paramount Special Edition DVD but didn't make the 2009 BR. It has all the other extras from that 2009 BR release.

The original release of this edition had some issues - mainly a duplicate shot in the "Kobayashi Maru" sequence which caused a slight continuity issue. Meyer also asked a line be removed from the DC (a brief dialogue exchange between Kirk and Spock: "That boy is my son"). It was reissued with the "Kobayashi Maru" sequence corrected. I didn't notice if the line between Kirk and Spock was restored or not - people did complain about that one too. If you purchase it new you should receive the corrected version (it has the UPC on a yellow block - the original is white). There is a replacement program for the original release, although some people are keeping it for the error and possible future collectability (like misprinted comics).

I'm seriously considering replacing the original 2009 release in my box set with this one. It seems logical, but I'd keep the original anyway so just putting the new version on the shelf beside the box seems logical too.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 07-08-17 at 09:08 AM.
Old 07-08-17, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just watched the 1997 made-for-tv version of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, starring Richard Crenna. It wasn't the train wreck I was expecting and was actually not too bad. The worst part, other than a few very cheesy CGI shots, was Crenna attempting to do a British accent. He did a horrible job of it.
Old 07-08-17, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've been watching Beast King GoLion, on Crunchyroll this month, because I wanted to see where Voltron came from. It is definitely not the Voltron I watched as a kid. It is extremely violent, with scenes of killing for pleasure, and whipping of slaves. Sadak (Yurak) constantly talks about killing the five earthlings that betrayed the Galra Empire, and to top it off, in the very first episode, it showed that Earth was devastated by World War III, with nuclear missiles raining death and destruction down on the entire planet, showing the people dying. Still, the story is good, and I plan to continue to watch the show to see what happens.

I wish Armored Fleet Dairugger XV was also available on Crunchyroll, as the DVDs seem to be out of print.
Old 07-09-17, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I popped in Return of the Killer Tomatoes last night for a fun, cheesy movie. Has George Clooney in it before he "made it." It also has John Astin as a mad scientist type.

It was Astin that made me think a bit. Every year at the beginning of the challenge I ask for suggestions for the checklist to freshen it up a bit. Maybe this year, people can post suggestions here as they're watching. Looking at Astin's IMDb page, he has several movies/shows that fall into the sci-fi/fantasy range.

So, feel free to make suggestions here during the challenge this year! I know it can be hard to remember day to day much less a year down the line!
Old 07-09-17, 12:19 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

That's a great idea LJG. I think Chad and others have done similar in the past. Maybe quote/compile all the suggestions at the end of the Challenge, and even discuss them out, and then all the ideas are conveniently here for next year's partcipants.
Old 07-09-17, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Astin would be a great addition to the checklist. One of those "Why didn't someone think of him before?" entries.
Old 07-09-17, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched an absolute stinker this morning: R.O.T.O.R. (1987). If it's not been skewered by the MST3K guys, it should be. It has a horrible, cliche ridden script full of terribly unfunny jokes and logic holes large enough to drive a semi through. The acting is pedestrian, as is the directing. The premise is a total ripoff of The Terminator and RoboCop.

Here's a quote from the Paul Mavis (a DVDTalk reviewer) review at DVD Drive-in that should give you some idea:
Directed and co-written by Cullen Blaine (tons of animated TV series like SUPER FRIENDS and THE 13 GHOSTS OF SCOOBY-DOO), with scripter Budd Lewis (TV animation like THE SMURFS and THE CARE BEARS FAMILY), what's so surprising about R.O.T.O.R. is how none of it seems even remotely as well put together as all the marginal cartoon crap these two guys worked on over the decades (they couldn't have employed some of their storyboarding experience to at least give this some flow?).
From what I've seen of these guys cartoon work, it's Shakespeare compared to R.O.T.O.R.'s inept script.

There's also a review here on DVDTalk that gives the 2-pack a "recommended" - and I have to agree as Millennium, the 2nd film in the set, isn't too bad and, if you get it cheap enough, worth the cost. My copy was part of a prize package, courtesy of Goldenwheels/Hamilton Books, from last year's Horror Challenge so, for me, the price was right. Get it for Millennium and save R.O.T.O.R. for when you have some bad film loving buddies over.
Old 07-09-17, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

I watched an absolute stinker this morning: R.O.T.O.R. (1987). If it's not been skewered by the MST3K guys, it should be. It has a horrible, cliche ridden script full of terribly unfunny jokes and logic holes large enough to drive a semi through. The acting is pedestrian, as is the directing. The premise is a total ripoff of The Terminator and RoboCop.

Here's a quote from the Paul Mavis (a DVDTalk reviewer) review at DVD Drive-in that should give you some idea:

From what I've seen of these guys cartoon work, it's Shakespeare compared to R.O.T.O.R.'s inept script.

There's also a review here on DVDTalk that gives the 2-pack a "recommended" - and I have to agree as Millennium, the 2nd film in the set, isn't too bad and, if you get it cheap enough, worth the cost. My copy was part of a prize package, courtesy of Goldenwheels/Hamilton Books, from last year's Horror Challenge so, for me, the price was right. Get it for Millennium and save R.O.T.O.R. for when you have some bad film loving buddies over.
There is a rifftrax of it
Old 07-09-17, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

One last reminder to vote here if you want to have a bit of say in the prize packages! Right now, the votes are leaning towards the Ray Harryhausen set with the figure, rather than the Star Wars books.

Originally Posted by Trevor
That's a great idea LJG. I think Chad and others have done similar in the past. Maybe quote/compile all the suggestions at the end of the Challenge, and even discuss them out, and then all the ideas are conveniently here for next year's partcipants.
Thanks! I know I've added a section in the past to the main post, that way all the info is in one spot for next year. So that was the way I was thinking of doing it. Should be fairly easy as long as I keep track as people make their suggestions.

Astin would be a great addition to the checklist. One of those "Why didn't someone think of him before?" entries.
That's how I felt as I watching him last night...why isn't he on the list? I checked twice to make sure, even!
Old 07-09-17, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've always wanted to see Return Of The Killer Tomatoes, ever since the cartoon series on Fox, on Saturday mornings, but never was able to find it.

I watched my first kaiju movie last night of the month, by putting in the English version of Godzilla vs Mothra, which was actually titled, Godzilla vs The Thing. Hopefully I'll get enough Godzilla movies in this month, that I will be able to watch the Rebirth Of Mothra trilogy. I always start at the beginning of the series every year.
Old 07-09-17, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I've always wanted to see Return Of The Killer Tomatoes, ever since the cartoon series on Fox, on Saturday mornings, but never was able to find it.
I picked it up very inexpensively many years ago, early 2000s, I would say. Looks like Amazon has it to rent or buy pretty inexpensively. It's very cheesy but it does make me laugh at parts. I like FT.
Old 07-09-17, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

It is readily available to purchase everywhere and it is IMO a perfect self aware B movie. Buy it today.

Available on blu for a premium but here it is with a similarly awesome movie for $6ish.

http://www.deepdiscount.com/return-t...s/014381789720

Or for $4 more get 2 more 80's horror comedies:
http://www.deepdiscount.com/4-horror...s/014381812626
Old 07-09-17, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ok, picked the prize packs out. The Ray Harryhausen set received 16 votes to the Star Wars books 6, so Harryhausen set wins. I've sent the requests onto GoldenWheels and when I get a confirmation from him, I will post them here.
Old 07-10-17, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's been on my DVR for a long time, but I finally saw The Wolverine. I had been avoiding it, due to the length of the movie, but am glad I finally watched it, as it was a very good movie. A word of advice, watch the original X-Men movies first, as this movie references events from the trilogy that were quite important in his life.
Old 07-10-17, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is fun. I'm discovering all these sci-fi classics that my wife hasn't seen in a long time (the Terminator movies) or not at all (Total Recall). It's like watching it with someone for the first time!
Old 07-10-17, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by popcorn
This is fun. I'm discovering all these sci-fi classics that my wife hasn't seen in a long time (the Terminator movies) or not at all (Total Recall). It's like watching it with someone for the first time!
I'm glad you're enjoying it! I try to watch at least a few new to me or first time since I owned it movies to narrow down my "to watch list." I also try to get some new watches in by using the checklist-I've found some things I would not have watched on my own that I really enjoyed.

It's been on my DVR for a long time, but I finally saw The Wolverine. I had been avoiding it, due to the length of the movie, but am glad I finally watched it, as it was a very good movie. A word of advice, watch the original X-Men movies first, as this movie references events from the trilogy that were quite important in his life.
I think this was the last X-Men movie I've actually watched. I really liked the series in the beginning but kind of lost interest after awhile. I should watch the last 2 or 3 with the "new" cast just to catch up...maybe a bit later in the month when I have more free time.

Question for people, do you have some go-to movies you watch every year? Maybe for the checklist? I've been trying to watch them early this challenge; most of the ones I watch are for the checklist. Like I have my favorite MST3K movie (The Magic Sword) that I almost always watch for that check mark or I have a Ray Harryhausen set so I tend to watch It Came From Beneath the Sea for that one and for the under the sea one.

Fun fact: The DVD for It Came From Beneath the Sea has an octopus printed on it-except there are 10 arms, not 8!
Old 07-11-17, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I finally decided what series I want to work on for now at least. I'm going to watch some Star Trek for a bit. And I thought, what better way to do it, then to revisit my Captain's Log Fan Collective. I'm getting ready to watch 'City On The Edge Of Forever' right now.
Old 07-11-17, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LJG765
Question for people, do you have some go-to movies you watch every year? Maybe for the checklist? I've been trying to watch them early this challenge; most of the ones I watch are for the checklist. Like I have my favorite MST3K movie (The Magic Sword) that I almost always watch for that check mark or I have a Ray Harryhausen set so I tend to watch It Came From Beneath the Sea for that one and for the under the sea one.
I saw THE MAGIC SWORD back in 1962 with a Saturday matinee crowd of all the neighborhood kids. We all loved it and played games based on it for days afterwards. It had more gruesome parts than kids' movies normally had and that left a big (favorable) impression.
Old 07-11-17, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Last night, I watched a great The Twilight Zone, on MeTV. The episode was called 'Once Upon A Time' and starred none other than Buster Keaton as a time traveler from 1890, who wound up in the present day.
Old 07-11-17, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched LUCY (2014) on Fox on Demand and was dismayed to read the text at the beginning saying it was "edited for content." When the action scenes occurred, I could tell that there were pieces missing. Why would they do that?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.