Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

6th Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Discussion Thread March 2017

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

6th Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Discussion Thread March 2017

Old 03-11-17, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: 6th Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Discussion Thread March 2017

I'll have the house to myself tomorrow, allowing me to sleep as much as I want. So I'm taking advantage of that fact, by attempting an all nighter tonight. This is one of my favorite Challenges, so it is easy for me to marathon viewing types.
Old 03-11-17, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts
Re: 6th Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Discussion Thread March 2017

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I'll have the house to myself tomorrow...
I got a few hours today, so I finished Deathtrap (funny, clever and interesting), and watched The Last of Sheila (twisty, clever) and Ocean's Eleven (good, but not as good as I remembered - lots of setup and aftermath, but scant on crime).
Old 03-12-17, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Considering the fact that I'm still wide awake, I plan to continue my Challenge marathon as long as I can hold out. Right now I'm watching Women's Tennis, on Pac-12 Bay Area. One of the highlights of last night's marathon was discovering Marvel's Agents Of SHIELD. I watched the pilot on Netflix, and really enjoyed it. I had heard of the show before, but had never actually sat down to watch any of the episodes.
Old 03-12-17, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm enjoying working my way through the bonus features on the Battlestar Galactica (2004) Complete Series Set. I just now finished all of the deleted scenes on Disc 3, of Season 1. Next up is the Audio Commentaries on the disc.
Old 03-12-17, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 625 Likes on 459 Posts

I switched gears to Prohibition "gangster" movies. Last night and today I've watched The Public Enemy, Little Caesar, and Smart Money. They've been fun and interesting, although a bit predictable. Those 3 are pretty much morality type tales with the "bad guy" getting his comeuppance at the end. I was pleasantly surprised to see Boris Karloff playing a bit role as a heavy in Smart Money. It was a small, uncredited, role but he did a good job.

I have two more sets of 4 gangster films, one featuring Bogart and the other Edward G. Robinson. I may crack one of them open later today.
Old 03-12-17, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

I wasn't planning on participating this month since I didn't want to restrict what I watched, but then I realized that 23 of the 29 films/TV shows I've watched so far this month fit this challenge, so I did a list post and just submitted it. (Last one on P. 2, #30)

I've been watching a lot of samurai films and TV westerns and so far one that's combined the two: the Wagon Train episode, "The Sakae Ito Story," starring Sessue Hayakawa as a samurai stranded out west who gets picked up by Ward Bond and the wagon train. It looks forward to the Charles Bronson/Toshiro Mifune film, RED SUN (1972).

Old 03-13-17, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm glad to see that The Amazing Race is on Amazon Prime. I've been watching it off and on this month, and currently am working my way through Season One. I don't know how far I'll get into the season before the month is over, but I'm enjoying watching it anyways.
Old 03-13-17, 02:35 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I didn't have a whole lot of time for challenge viewing this past weekend but I did watch some very good stuff. My favorite of the weekend was a movie length episode of Agatha Christie's Poirot called The Mysterious Affair at Styles. This clever murder mystery concerning an inheritance takes place in 1917, which is earlier than the shows in the first two seasons. The attention to detail in the sets and the chemistry between the leads makes this a show I always enjoy. I also watched my second krimi of the challenge, The Door with 7 Locks (Die Tür mit dem 7 Schlössern). I liked this more than the first one I saw possibly because I knew more about what to expect and the story, dealing with a series of murders related to an inheritance, seemed more serious and had a few elements of horror stories thrown in. I also saw Tarzan Escapes a very good Tarzan movie with Johnny Weismuller and Charlie Chan at the Wax Museum which was only average although the settings was good.
Old 03-14-17, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I kicked off today's Challenge viewing with a hunting show about elk hunt in the mountains. The hunt was on an episode of Ultimate Outdoors, on the Pursuit Channel.
Old 03-14-17, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 366 Likes on 231 Posts

If anyone is itching to catch something in the theater for the challenge, I can highly recommend Get Out. It's an excellent mystery/thriller.
Old 03-14-17, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts

Halfway through the Potters now. The first three, all the danger and mayhem notwithstanding, can be considered lighthearted. Goblet of Fire is definitely grimmer and I know this darkening of the tone continues for the next four movies. I'm pretty sure, now, that I've only seen through movie four and starting with Harry Potter and the Order of The Phoenix (2007), it's all new to me.

I think I may take a day or two break, though, because while the movies are good, they are also big time-sinks.
Old 03-15-17, 07:15 PM

Doctor Faustus starring RICHARD BURTON with a whole bunch of other people, and ELIZABETH TAYLOR (per opening credits) is interesting. One wonders whether he could have been redeemed if he'd spent less time complaining and more time trying...

Not that his friends/students were much help:

Faustus "If I'm alive tomorrow, I'll come see you; if not, I'll be in hell!"
Friends "...good night, then."
Old 03-16-17, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was in the mood for an outdoor show, so I looked on the Dish Guide, and decided on Dirty Missions, on the World Fishing Network. It was a very good episode, filled with trophy fish. The hosts were on the Colorado River, fishing for largemouth bass, and boy did they catch some giant ones.
Old 03-16-17, 04:56 PM

Too Late for Tears (surprisingly, TCM has it under the re-release title Killer Bait) has some curious elements - that may be inconsequential, or may have had some influence on Stan Lee... there's a lot of "tiger"-talk (Spider-man), a character called Donald Blake (Thor) flirting with Jane, and the main cast have alliterative double-D names. I guess its coincidence since it seems so thin on writing it down, but... curious anyway.
Old 03-16-17, 10:42 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I must say I'm really not participating in this challenge - as I don't have much time or attention to do so, BUT ... I did watch the 4K 'UHD' digital streaming version of Spectre via Amazon Prime last night - and while it's not a great presentation (a lot of streaming artifacts pop up here and there) - the brightly lit scenes reveal so much detail and clarity, it's outright stunning

saw Kong Skull Island this afternoon - guess I pumped myself with too much excitement - that halfway through it I got utterly bored with it - seemed like way too much random action/expository dialogue, rinse repeat ... blah blah blah...
Old 03-17-17, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just finished a great episode of On The Water With Hank Parker, on the Pursuit Channel. It really got me excited for the start of fishing season next month. He was going after largemouth bass, in Louisiana.
Old 03-17-17, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 625 Likes on 459 Posts

This year the change to "Daylight sucky time" is kicking my tail. I've been so wiped out in the evenings that I'm lucky to get in a couple of hour-length TV episodes before nodding off.

I introduced my oldest grandson (age 13) to Monty Python's Flying Circus a couple of days ago and we've been watching several episodes each afternoon before he goes home. They don't count but sure are fun and it's a real treat to see, and hear, his reactions to the skits. We'll get to the "Lumberjack" skit this afternoon. I can hardly wait!
Old 03-17-17, 02:28 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I slowed down a bit this week (maybe because of "Daylight sucky time" ^^^^^) but still got some good stuff in. I checked out the new BD of One Million Years B.C. which I hadn't seen before. Ray Harryhausen dinosaurs and Raquel Welch kept my interest and all in all I thought it was a fun but not great movie. It could have used more dinosaurs. I didn't like 2 Fast 2 Furious as much as the first movie. There were some nice cars and all the stunts were well done but the plot was stale and even some of the action sequences were things you had seen before. Also I didn't end up as interested in the characters as I was in the original. The best thing I watched over the last few days turned out to be something I'd seen before, The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms. I wanted more Harryhausen and this fit the bill. I've seen this several times but never appreciated it as much as I did this time. It was a good story, well paced and the beast looked great. I think this was the first of the giant, atom bomb spawned monsters of the 1950's and was the model for the films of this kind which followed. It even appears to have had some influence on the most famous one of all, Godzilla, whose first movie was released the following year.
Old 03-17-17, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Daylight Sucky Time has also been kicking my tail lately. I always nod off in the evenings, most often when I am in the middle of watching something. I didn't even get to finish Affliction M1 Global: Day Of Reckoning, which I was watching on UFC Fight Pass, as I fell asleep before it was over. I was in an MMA mood, after watching an episode of UFC Unleashed, on Hulu.

This afternoon, I felt like a movie, so I was browsing Roku, and turned on Starz. I decided on The Ghost And The Darkness. I had only seen it once before, that I can recall, but I remembered enjoying it very much. I enjoyed it just as much on a second viewing, and Val Kilmer was great in it.
Old 03-18-17, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by omike
I slowed down a bit this week (maybe because of "Daylight sucky time" ^^^^^) but still got some good stuff in. I checked out the new BD of One Million Years B.C. which I hadn't seen before. Ray Harryhausen dinosaurs and Raquel Welch kept my interest and all in all I thought it was a fun but not great movie. It could have used more dinosaurs. I didn't like 2 Fast 2 Furious as much as the first movie. There were some nice cars and all the stunts were well done but the plot was stale and even some of the action sequences were things you had seen before. Also I didn't end up as interested in the characters as I was in the original. The best thing I watched over the last few days turned out to be something I'd seen before, The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms. I wanted more Harryhausen and this fit the bill. I've seen this several times but never appreciated it as much as I did this time. It was a good story, well paced and the beast looked great. I think this was the first of the giant, atom bomb spawned monsters of the 1950's and was the model for the films of this kind which followed. It even appears to have had some influence on the most famous one of all, Godzilla, whose first movie was released the following year.
KING KONG was re-released worldwide in 1952. BEAST came out the following year. Both films influenced GOJIRA. They originally wanted to do stop-motion animation on GOJIRA, but the costs were too prohibitive and they went with the man in the suit. (Or maybe they simply didn't have anyone as obsessive as Willis O'Brien or Ray Harryhausen to do it.) "Gojira" is a combo of Gorilla and Kujira, the Japanese word for whale. I'm not sure how Joseph E. Levine came up with "Godzilla" two years later. I've read so much about both films I ought to know that story.
Old 03-18-17, 04:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've been working on the Challenge, since I woke up in the middle of the night. Watching various shows, including a very interesting episode of Forensic Files, on HLN, that I just finished. It was about a Russian immigrant, who made it as a successful stockbroker who was murdered. What made this particular case so interesting, was that it took the authorities a long time to find a suspect, as it turned out that the guy who was murdered had a lot of enemies, many of whom expressed pleasure that he was dead when questioned by the police.
Old 03-18-17, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Investigation Discovery is a great channel for this Challenge, with some very interesting true crime television shows. One of those is Evil Lives Here. I just finished an episode of that show and loved it. The episode I watched was about a boy who started out liking anything military and gun related, and had planned to join the Marines when he was 18. As he grew older however, his behavior became more destructive, and he became increasingly combative toward his parents. It all came to a head one night when he murdered his parents and brothers in their beds, and attempted to murder his sister, but only wounded her, leaving her the only survivor. To this day, she works to make sure his parole is denied every time it comes up.
Old 03-18-17, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I had never seen any of The Substitute movies until tonight, but now I'd like to see them all some time, however many there are. I just finished The Substitute 2: School's Out, on Epix Drive In, and I loved the movie. It wasn't a great acting movie, but had loads of action, and that's a high point of a movie for me.
Old 03-19-17, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Daylight Sucky Time has also been kicking my tail lately. I always nod off in the evenings, most often when I am in the middle of watching something. I didn't even get to finish Affliction M1 Global: Day Of Reckoning, which I was watching on UFC Fight Pass, as I fell asleep before it was over...
That sounds like me... can't blame DST here, though. Just work and life, worse luck!
Old 03-19-17, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I had my first equipment failure of the Challenge this morning. My primary Blu Ray player quit reading discs. I went to watch an episode of Superman: The Animated Series, and the menu loaded, but when I selected the episode, all I heard was a noise as the disc spun, but nothing started. Thinking it was just the disc I put in a disc from Battlestar Galactica (2004), and that time the disc didn't even load. Luckily, I have other Blu Ray players.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.