Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

6th Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Discussion Thread March 2017

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

6th Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Discussion Thread March 2017

Old 02-28-17, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: 6th Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Discussion Thread March 2017

I'm counting the hours till the beginning of the Challenge now. First thing I did when I woke up was browse the Dish Guide for eligible programming, and I found over 40 TV shows and movies, and that was just in the one time slot I looked at.
Old 02-28-17, 07:26 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts
Re: 6th Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Discussion Thread March 2017

^ Yeah, I'm thinking this might be the Challenge with the most eligible content outside of TV.
Old 02-28-17, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Only half an hour to go, and I can't wait. Weather calls for storms tonight too, so if I want, I should be able to watch as much as I want.
Old 02-28-17, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Unless your power goes out?
Old 02-28-17, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by davidh777
Unless your power goes out?
Fingers crossed
Old 02-28-17, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

I'm going to try and get through the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe in a month...including the TV shows. Superhero overload incoming...
Old 02-28-17, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I kicked off the Challenge with a college basketball game on the Big Ten Network. Not many challenges give you the chance to watch sports, so I figured, 'Why not take advantage of that?'
Old 03-01-17, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I started today's Challenge viewing with an interesting movie on SyFy, Doomsday Prophecy, about a man who inherited a device that allowed him to to have visions on what was needed to save the world from ending. Maybe I just have a high tolerance for bad movies, but I normally enjoy the movies that are aired on SyFy.
Old 03-01-17, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 625 Likes on 459 Posts

I started with the 1937 version of King Solomon's Mines simply because I purchased a used copy of it a month or so back when I saw something that reminded me of the film. I'd seen one version as a kid and recall enjoying it but couldn't recall just which I'd seen. Based on who's in the film I decided it was the earlier one. I was wrong, so it must have been the 1950 version. There was waaaaay too much singing in that 1937 version. The man who did all the singing, Paul Robeson, has a good voice but there were enough musical numbers for it to have a sub-genre of "Musical" as well as the Action/Adventure/Drama already there. It threw me the first time he burst out in song! I enjoyed it well enough but it'd have been much better without the musical numbers.

I'm also participating in The Neverending Watch The Movies You Should Have Already Seen Challenge and my next film in that one is The Poseidon Adventure. I've always avoided that film because I generally don't care for "disaster" movies and don't care for several of the actors. I own a copy simply because it's part of another set and I generally watch everything I own at least once. I almost started with it last night but wanted something I thought I'd really like first. I'm thinking of watching it tonight to get it out of the way and then get in a few episodes of either Deadwood or The Fugitive.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 03-01-17 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03-01-17, 12:41 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I had a fun start to the challenge last night. I wanted to watch a serial this year and finally decided on Dick Tracy Returns from 1938, the second of the four Tracy serials made by Republic Pictures. I have seen this before but not in quite a while. Ralph Byrd returns as Dick Tracy and Charles Middleton plays Pa Stark, the cold blooded leader of a criminal gang made up of his five sons - Champ, Trigger, Dude, Kid, and Slasher. The first chapter is very exciting and the picture on the VCI DVD very nice.

Then I watched an episode of 77 Sunset Strip which I recorded from ME TV. This was a Warner Brothers produced detective show which ran for five and a half seasons from the Fall of 1958 to the Winter of 1964 staring Efrem Zimbalist Jr. and Roger Smith as two PI's who have an agency at the above address. I have fond memories of this show although I was pretty young for most of it's run (I was six years old when it started!) and I don't recall any specifics. Maybe one or both of my parents liked it. The show I watched last night was not outstanding but it was entertaining. The pacing was a bit leisurely with a comic interlude from teen idol Edd Byrnes playing valet Kookie and a nice number from a jazz trio. There was a twist at the end which I only partially saw coming. I plan to watch a few more of these during the month.

This evening, if all goes as planned, my first Bond movie of the challenge - From Russia with Love. I have also seen this before but not for a very, very long time.
Old 03-01-17, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

I started with The Getaway, the 1994 remake with a very young Alec Baldwin and Kim Basinger. It's my only HD DVD that has yet to be released on BD, and one BD combo of both versions was up for pre-order on Amazon before going into limbo. Amazon had the digital version for $2.99 recently, so I bought it as a possible replacement for the HD DVD and a crappy non-anamorphic DVD. It looks great, but it's not the unrated cut, so I guess I'll have to keep holding onto the physical versions.

Next I've started rewatching the Cinemax series Strike Back. I love this series, even if some of the middle seasons aren't quite as good.
Old 03-02-17, 02:22 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow! I forgot just how good From Russia with Love is. I think it's a great James Bond movie with one of the best looking bond girls, Daniela Bianchi. I was in my early teens when I first saw this as a re-release in a double feature with Dr. No and I've been smitten with Ms. Bianchi ever since. I only remembered a few parts of the story, mainly the stuff on the train and near the end in the hotel room so a lot of the first part was like a brand new movie. Robert Shaw's character was a worthy villain and provided lots of suspenseful moments as he stalked Bond. There's also a nice international flavor and an interesting plot as SPECTRE plays the British and Russian agents against each other.
Old 03-02-17, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

It may not technically be Action-Adventure-y enough, but... I watched it because I'm going through 31 Days with TCM, and watched: The Silver Chalice ("introducing Paul Newman").

It's a weird story, but thanks to several scenes near the middle, I think it's safe to say it was a BIG influence on Life of Brian. Most specifically, there's the "individuals" coached into hailing a false prophet as a messiah, and in the subsequent chase a group of Roman soldiers thunder down stairs past the door our hiding heroes have hidden behind.

Obviously the plot has almost no similarities. And it's only passing moments that seem to have resonated, but they resonate strongly. (Plus, Paul Newman plays "Basil" for goodness' sake....)
Old 03-02-17, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by omike
Wow! I forgot just how good From Russia with Love is. I think it's a great James Bond movie with one of the best looking bond girls, Daniela Bianchi. I was in my early teens when I first saw this as a re-release in a double feature with Dr. No and I've been smitten with Ms. Bianchi ever since. I only remembered a few parts of the story, mainly the stuff on the train and near the end in the hotel room so a lot of the first part was like a brand new movie. Robert Shaw's character was a worthy villain and provided lots of suspenseful moments as he stalked Bond. There's also a nice international flavor and an interesting plot as SPECTRE plays the British and Russian agents against each other.
I really like those early Bond films with those two being among my favorites. I think part of them being so good is that they're based on Fleming's novels rather than being a "new" story. For all I know the later films may be based on his novels but they just aren't as good, or just don't resonate with me as much as those early films with Connery.
Originally Posted by ntnon
It may not technically be Action-Adventure-y enough, but... I watched it because I'm going through 31 Days with TCM, and watched: The Silver Chalice ("introducing Paul Newman").

It's a weird story, but thanks to several scenes near the middle, I think it's safe to say it was a BIG influence on Life of Brian. Most specifically, there's the "individuals" coached into hailing a false prophet as a messiah, and in the subsequent chase a group of Roman soldiers thunder down stairs past the door our hiding heroes have hidden behind.

Obviously the plot has almost no similarities. And it's only passing moments that seem to have resonated, but they resonate strongly. (Plus, Paul Newman plays "Basil" for goodness' sake....)
You're making me want to watch The Silver Chalice "again." I purchased a copy a couple of years ago and *think* I watched it but haven't checked. If I did, I didn't spot those hints at the Python fim. I've watched several "making of" type productions about Life of Brian and don't remember them referring to Newman's film but it wouldn't surprise me that they'd seen it and those scenes inspired those in Life of Brian. Off to see if I watched it and track down where I stashed it...
Old 03-02-17, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Earlier tonight, I was thinking about Xena: Warrior Princess, ever since I started looking at the DVDs on Amazon, so I attempted to watch the first episode on Hulu. That ended up being a bust, due to continual buffering. So I switched to Plan B for the night. I started by watching an episode of Season One of The Amazing Race, on Amazon Prime, as I've always enjoyed that show, and I decided to watch it this month. I follow it up with the second episode of Robotech, 'Countdown', on Netflix. I've always enjoyed that show, and it being on Netflix means I don't have to dig out my DVDs of the series. I might buy the Complete Series of Xena, since I found the set on Amazon for $60. I wish Hercules: The Legendary Journeys was still on Netflix or Hulu though.
Old 03-03-17, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Since Hulu was working better today, I started today's Challenge viewing by finishing the first episode of Xena: Warrior Princess, 'Sins Of The Past', in which Xena decides to give up her evil ways and saves her village from a warlord.
Old 03-03-17, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've been enjoying watching sports for this Challenge. Earlier this morning I watched boxing on CBS Sports Network, and just now I finished watching coverage of running highlights of different races, including a Christmas fun run that showed one runner wearing a Christmas tree costume while he was running, on SportsTime Ohio.
Old 03-03-17, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well... I've watched The Silver Chalice before but just don't remember a thing about it so I may be digging it out for a second viewing sometime this month (or for the Historical Challenge).

I watched The Poseidon Adventure (1972) last night for a double-credit in "The Neverending Watch The Movies You Should Have Already Seen Challenge." I'm sure I knew this when it came out but I was surprised to hear the song "The Morning After" in the film. The song was the best part but it was a obvious lip-sync job done with a "rock/pop" band that looked rather scruffy for a pop ballad type song. Overall I found the film to be just another average disaster film. But I don't care for those at all so that certainly colors my opinion. I only own a copy because it's one of the films in one of those "Classic Quad" sets Fox released several years back. I purchased them all "just because" so got several films I'd never have purchased had they not been in those sets.

After that I opened my new BR copy of Quantum Leap to make sure I didn't have any duplicate discs (lots of reports of discs in wrong cases and duplicates of some later season discs). Mine had the mixed up disc issue but otherwise was OK. I figured I might as well watch a few episodes since it was open and I've not seen this one since its original airings. So far it's pretty good (I've watched 4 episodes) and I'm enjoying seeing it again.

I really should watch it with my wife as we used to watch this one together - a rare thing for her as it's a bit SF and she normally refuses to watch anything with SF trappings of any type. This one appealed to us both. But she's almost as opposed to watching old TV shows on disc as she is to watching SF and won't even watch the discs of some of her favorites I've purchased for her. But if they happen to just come on a cable channel she'll watch. I just don't get that. Oh well... I'll enjoy it anyway.
Old 03-03-17, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 72 Likes on 42 Posts

I've finished Netflix's A Series of Unfortunate Events this week and am eager for the second season. At first, I was trying to puzzle out if my love of the series was just the result of nostalgia. But it's been a long since I've read the books, and I connected with the tone and aesthetic. The series is like literary Tim Burton minus all of his stupid nonsense and with a healthy dash of Wes Anderson. There's also a lot of great actors giving fun performances. K. Todd Freeman stands out as the bumbling, well-intentioned Mr. Poe as does Catherine O'Hara as the fiendish Dr. Orwell. She played Justice Strauss (now portrayed by Joan Cusack) in the film adaptation.

I'm also working my way through a box set of Johnny Weissmuller's Tarzan films. There's not much to say about them. They are silly affairs, and I love them! I'm past the films that I've seen before, and Brenda Joyce has taken over the role of Jane from Maureen O'Sullivan.
Old 03-03-17, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
I'm also working my way through a box set of Johnny Weissmuller's Tarzan films. There's not much to say about them. They are silly affairs, and I love them! I'm past the films that I've seen before, and Brenda Joyce has taken over the role of Jane from Maureen O'Sullivan.
I absolutely love the Weissmuller Tarzan films. All of them - even those later ones that ventured into "lost/hidden civilization/tribe" territory (the ones with Joyce). I grew up watching them, and the Shirley Temple films, every Saturday afternoon. I've seen them all, both series, dozens of times. I can safely say I've always liked Brenda Joyce more than O'Sullivan, or maybe I should say I find Joyce more attractive, but O'Sullivan's Jane is a far stronger woman.

The scene in Tarzan Finds a Son! where Jane is apparently dying always gets to me. Tarzan's "Jane not go! Jane not die!" tears me up every time. Jane was supposed to die in this film as O'Sullivan was tired of the Jane role. The character of Boy was brought in to fill the gap when she left. The ending was changed after negative audience feedback so the ending was changed and she appeared in two more films.

My oldest grandson loves the Tarzan films too. I introduced them to him when he was ~5 because he loves films with animals. Even though I'd seen these films dozens of times before, it was when watching with him I first noticed how violent and adult some scenes in the earlier films are.
Old 03-03-17, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was browsing Roku last night and came across a channel called Action Arena. It has over 1500 action movies on it, some of which are well known movies. I didn't browse the entire collection but it looks like it should be good for this Challenge. I believe it might be the same company that put out the horror movie channel that someone mention last October, that had over 3000 movies.
Old 03-03-17, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just finished a good episode of The Outdoor Option, on the Pursuit Channel. It was part one of a multi part episode where the host was on an elk hunt. Elk hunting shows are some of my favorite hunting episodes, since that was always one of my dreams, to hunt an elk.
Old 03-03-17, 07:07 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Started off with Frailty cause I still wanted to see more Bill Paxton. And tonight, showing the girls Flightplan. Haven't seen it since it came out, I remember it being pretty good.

Sidebar, why have I never done this challenge before???? I love Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery movies.
Old 03-03-17, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Well... I've watched The Silver Chalice before but just don't remember a thing about it so I may be digging it out for a second viewing sometime this month (or for the Historical Challenge).
I suggest saving it for History - it really is a stretch to count it this month...! And how many 'historical' films have Simon Magus, Peter and Joseph of Arimathea in them..?
Old 03-04-17, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I started today's Challenge via with an episode of Sport Fishing Television, on Destination America. It was an interesting episode that had the crew in New England, learning fishing techniques from old salts. It just goes to show you that even professional fishermen can still learn a thing or two from people who have been on the water since before they were born.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.