Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

TV On DVD Challenge * The Seventh Season Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-17, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts
Re: TV On DVD Challenge * The Seventh Season Discussion Thread

^I saw that earlier today and was saddened by the news. I pullout out my S3 set (the next one in her series I've not yet viewed) of The Mary Tyler Moore Show to watch a few episodes tonight. I was a bit torn between that and The Dick Van Dyke Show but felt her solo series is a more fitting tribute to watch.
Old 01-26-17, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

A snowstorm is keeping me home today, so I should get plenty of viewing in today. Just don't know what I want to watch.

As the Challenge is drawing to a close, I thought I'd remind people that they need at least one entry on their lists to qualify for a prize. How is everyone doing so far? Enjoying the Challenge?
Old 01-26-17, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ended up settling on an episode of The Kayak Fishing Show, on the World Fishing Network, to start today's viewing. He was all the way down off the coast of Costa Rica, fishing for rather exotic fish.
Old 01-27-17, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
A snowstorm is keeping me home today, so I should get plenty of viewing in today. Just don't know what I want to watch.

As the Challenge is drawing to a close, I thought I'd remind people that they need at least one entry on their lists to qualify for a prize. How is everyone doing so far? Enjoying the Challenge?
I have to admit, I've kind of faded as the month went on. I'm happy to have watched all that I have, but other than a few more random watches, I doubt I'll get to much more this month. Just a little too much going on for me right now. I did get through a full season of Bones which I'm happy about!
Old 01-27-17, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yesterday's snowstorm is still going on today, so will be stuck at home another day. Oh well, this gives me a good chance to watch lots of challenge content. I started with an episode of Federation Angler TV, on the Pursuit Channel, in which it covered a bass tournament, on Lake Wissota.
Old 01-27-17, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
^I saw that earlier today and was saddened by the news. I pullout out my S3 set (the next one in her series I've not yet viewed) of The Mary Tyler Moore Show to watch a few episodes tonight. I was a bit torn between that and The Dick Van Dyke Show but felt her solo series is a more fitting tribute to watch.
While I watched The Dick Van Dyke Show regularly as a kid, I must admit that I don't remember ever seeing a complete episode of The Mary Tyler Moore Show. I must correct that.
Old 01-27-17, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Mike Connors of died yesterday. Though he never had the cultural cachet of MTM, he's still fondly remembered for Mannix. I certainly watched my share of episodes back in the day. Maybe I'll try to dig up Kiss the Girls and Make Them Die (1966) tonight or at least an episode of Mannix.
Old 01-27-17, 09:03 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
While I watched The Dick Van Dyke Show regularly as a kid, I must admit that I don't remember ever seeing a complete episode of The Mary Tyler Moore Show. I must correct that.

One of my co-workers just told me that this morning, but she's like 20 years old and not a "movie/TV person", so I can't be shocked.
Old 01-27-17, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I'm with Trevor... Considering when you grew up I'm a bit surprised you've not seen a episode.

While I watched it during first run I recall not caring much for it - until later seasons (basically after both Rhoda and Phyllis left for their own shows). I almost didn't purchase the series but when FoxConnect was doing their regular 50% off sales I was able to snag the entire series for ~$42. In rewatching it after decades I find I like it much better than I remember. I'm still not much of a Rhoda or Phyllis fan (shows or characters) but the main cast is superb and I'm getting quite a few laughs per episode.
Old 01-27-17, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I watched Mary Tyler Moore as a kid but Dick Van Dyke was before my time. I got the BD set a while back based on all the raves and should watch it someday.

Just burned through Banshee seasons 3 and 4 and The Affair season 2. After all the BSG discussion, I cracked open my UK BD set and watched the miniseries, and it looked great. I remember how much I like this series, but don't feel like committing to rewatching the whole thing right now.
Old 01-27-17, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Turns out I get to go out with a bang this Challenge. I was watching the news at noon, and the lake effect snow warning has been extended until Sunday night. So I'll be home all weekend.
Old 01-28-17, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Metal is one of my favorite genres of music, so when I first discovered Metal Mayhem, on MTV Classic, a few weeks ago, I always try to catch at least some of the hour long blocks. I've watched three hours of it so far tonight. It really brings back memories of when I used to watch Rikki Rackman, on Headbangers Ball.
Old 01-28-17, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Mary Tyler Moore Show S3 has been very good so far. I'm 2/3 of the way through and should finish it sometime today.

I started S3 of Lost in Space last night. 6 episodes in and it's much better than the last half of S2. Dr. Smith, while still a source of episode issues, isn't quite so forward in episodes giving other cast members more screen time. It's really helping the episodes as they don't feel like they came from The Dr. Smith Show. I'm not sure if I'll try to make it through the season before the challenge ends.

I also watched a couple more episodes of The Man in the High Castle. I was a bit surprised in the S2 opener that we actually *see* "The Man" and get a bit of why he's looking for, and watching, the films. Based on a scene of Hitler watching one I believe *he* knows why "The Man" is looking for, and watching, them. There've been a few interesting twists in the series but I don't see it lasting beyond S3 as that could easily drag out the conclusion too much, especially now that we know *why* the films are so important.
Old 01-28-17, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidh777
I watched Mary Tyler Moore as a kid but Dick Van Dyke was before my time. I got the BD set a while back based on all the raves and should watch it someday.
Yes, you should... and sooner rather than later. It's a very good series. One of the all-time classics.
Old 01-28-17, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, after watching the filmed record of the very first TV broadcast (1936) on YouTube and two 1949 eps. from "The Lone Ranger," I've now seen something for this challenge from every decade from the 1930s to the 2010s.

Old 01-29-17, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I'm with Trevor... Considering when you grew up I'm a bit surprised you've not seen a episode.

While I watched it during first run I recall not caring much for it - until later seasons (basically after both Rhoda and Phyllis left for their own shows). I almost didn't purchase the series but when FoxConnect was doing their regular 50% off sales I was able to snag the entire series for ~$42. In rewatching it after decades I find I like it much better than I remember. I'm still not much of a Rhoda or Phyllis fan (shows or characters) but the main cast is superb and I'm getting quite a few laughs per episode.
Well, it just so happens that ME-TV is running three hours of The Mary Tyler Moore Show this afternoon and, even better, Sundance on Demand offers the first two episodes, so I was able to watch them last night. Good show and I can see why her portrayal of a single, independent woman was considered iconic at the time it aired. Don't know why we never watched it in our house. Part of it is that two of my sisters moved out around that time and the third sister was never much interested in that type of show. (I took her to an all-night quadruple feature of Sam Peckinpah movies when she was 15. That same year, we went to see a triple feature of NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, REEFER MADNESS and THE BETTY BOOP FOLLIES.)
Old 01-30-17, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just finished a couple back to back episodes of Unwrapped 2.0, on the Cooking Channel. It was a good show. I wish I had discovered this channel before yesterday, as this and Food Network seem like good shows since I enjoy cooking shows and shows about food.
Old 01-31-17, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, here we are. The last day of the Challenge. I'll do the drawing for the prizes after midnight, provided I am awake, or failing that in the morning.

I started early today with an episode of Bass Champs, on the World Fishing Network, where they were at Cedar Creek Lake, because I felt like an outdoor show.
Old 01-31-17, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

It's been a good challenge! I finished several seasons and one anime series. I progressed though a lot of Star Trek: Voyager and Wonder Woman (which included a bunch of cathartic Nazi-punching). I started watching black-ish and absolutely love it! All-in-all, a good month! Thanks for running things, shadokitty!
Old 01-31-17, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I finished S3 of Lost in Space last night. I wasn't sure I'd be able to get through that one during the month. It's a very fun show but I've found that's only when viewed in short bursts and *not* watching marathon style. When marathoned it starts to run together and one episode looks just like the next, with a few exceptions. Of course you can say the same about *lots* of episodic type TV.

For example: I started McHale's Navy S4 Sunday. It, too, suffers from a bit of sameness in the episodes, although it's also quite a bit of fun. Yes, even S4 is pretty good - at least I'm finding I like it better than I recall liking it during first run (the last time I recall seeing any S4 episodes). I distinctly remember disliking that season as they'd relocated McHale and his crew to a seaside town in Italy. It really makes it more difficult for them to excuse/hide Fuji but so far the stories are a bit formulaic with stereotypical Italians.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 01-31-17 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-31-17, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

Woo Hoo. I made it through Scandal before this season's premiere.

Thanks shadokitty for hosting the TV watch party.
Old 01-31-17, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll probably keep watching TV next month, as I'm not ready to quit yet. I figure, when I'm not watching Oscar material, I'll watch TV shows. So if I haven't finished some shows, it's no big deal.
Old 01-31-17, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Had a blast, as usual.

I noticed the series premiere of 24 was available for free last night on Amazon and watched it. It's one of my favorite series and I've seen the first season a couple of times at least. That one episode could easily pull me in to watch a bunch more, but I'll leave that as my final tally.
Old 01-31-17, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It won't count for this Challenge, but while watching baseball talk shows on the MLB Network, I saw a very interesting commercial that got me very excited. Spring Training starts in just two weeks. I thought it didn't start till March.
Old 01-31-17, 10:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for another great challenge! I had only planned to watch season 3 of Parenthood and then get to a bunch of others things, but instead ended up going on a binge and finishing the series so didn't get to as much as I wanted, but thoroughly enjoyed it so that is ok, and most of my other choices work for March.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.