Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

TV On DVD Challenge * The Seventh Season Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-17, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: TV On DVD Challenge * The Seventh Season Discussion Thread

I've started watching GI Joe, since I felt like a cartoon from the 80s, and just finished the 2nd episode of the first miniseries, 'The MASS Device'. GI Joe was one of my favorite TV shows when I was a kid, and I would watch it every day before school.
Old 01-01-17, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Still no sticky on the list thread.
Old 01-01-17, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Still no sticky on the list thread.
I'm waiting till the holiday challenge is over before I request it.
Old 01-01-17, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

I finished S7 of ST:TNG this morning. I thought S6 was uneven - but wow! S7 was even worse. I'd say that it has some of the absolutely worsts episodes of TNG I've seen. But it also has some of the best. Kind of like S3 of TOS, but I think the ratio of good-bad is higher on S7 of TNG. I'm still somewhat digesting the last episode but am leaning towards it being not that good. It felt like a bit of a cop-out. The absolutely best scene was the last one, which was a fitting close to the series. And, in spite of my overall dislike of the character, I absolutely *hated* Wesley's last episode.

So... overall it was a better series than I'd believed (keep in mind that during the original run I bailed 2 episodes into S2 and only saw the random episode channel hopping if *nothing* else was on) and am glad I own it. But I still like DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise better.

I can enthusiastically recommend the BR set over the DVD. The difference in overall visual quality is simply astounding. But get the UK region free BR set from Amazon UK as it's frequently in the $60 (shipped) price range. I paid $66 for mine and it's worth every penny.
Old 01-02-17, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Today being an unofficial holiday, it feels like a TV watching day today. I started my marathon with an episode of Trev Gowdy's Monsterfish, on the Outdoor Channel, in which he was in Thailand, fishing for freshwater stingray.
Old 01-02-17, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

After finishing Wild Australia With Ray Mears, on Netflix yesterday, I was looking for a new show to start this morning. I decided to revisit a show I had seen before and enjoyed, Wildest Islands, a BBC series that covers wildlife on islands around the world of all kinds of environments. The first episode I just finished was about Zanzibar.
Old 01-02-17, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Galapagos have an amazing variety of wildlife, and they have all evolved some amazing adaptations in order to survive there. That's what you take away from by watching the Galapagos episode of Wildest Islands, on Netflix.
Old 01-02-17, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd *love* to be home laying about and watching TV - but today is a work day for us. I shouldn't complain as I've been off since 12/21/16 for the holiday break...

As I was watching some Bonanza episodes it occurred to me, because of seeing Lorne Greene, that I still had the original Battlestar Galactica BR upgrade I'd purchased so I watched the first few episodes of that yesterday evening. This is the 2nd time I've seen the show since it went off the air - the first being when I purchased the DVD set a year or so back. The BR is a worthwhile upgrade (I'm watching the FS set). I'm seeing things I don't recall seeing with the DVDs (mostly *some* traveling mattes for ships). I'm also reminded, again, of why I stopped watching the series during its original airings. It's pretty cheesy and quickly devolves into "80s TV" type programming. In spite of that it's a fun little series and I'm sure my grandson will give me some flack over starting it without him. I was also surprised to hear "frack" in the dialog (I probably heard it when viewing the DVDs but just forgot) as I'd thought that was introduced in the 2004 series to give it a "harder edge" feeling.

Something I forgot to mention when commenting on ST:TNG S7 is that my grandson had watched quite a few S6 and S7 episodes with me. He's always said he "doesn't care for Star Trek" but admitted that he really enjoyed many of the episodes we watched. Even those I rated somewhat low due to how certain themes and/or characters were handled/used. I'm thinking that, at 13.5, he's finally old enough to begin to appreciate, and enjoy, more adult material. I may throw a few TOS episodes at him to see...
Old 01-03-17, 03:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I finished the Mars shoe by National Geographic. Really cool show with a unique format.

Been going through a lot of Dallas. I really do enjoy this show still. I think it holds up really well. J.R. Ewing is still one of my favoritemail characters on any show. He is just such an imposing figure on any scene he is in. Watching Knots Landing it seems like that is what Dallas would be without him.
Old 01-03-17, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm enjoying revisiting Secrets Of The Universe, on Hulu. Astronomy is one of my hobbies, so any shows about outer space are of particular interest to me. I just finished one interesting episode that talked about possible earth like worlds elsewhere in the universe.
Old 01-03-17, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So far I’ve watched the first episode of “Perry Mason,” the first episode of “Gunsmoke,” the first episode of “Sgt. Bilko,” the first episode of “Police Story,” and the pilot episode of “The Rockford Files.” Before the challenge I watched the first episode of “Mission: Impossible.” I’ve still got the first episode of “The Fugitive” to get to.

Interestingly the first ep. of “Bilko” premiered ten days after the first ep. of “Gunsmoke” premiered.
Old 01-03-17, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

So started my Scandal re-watch and I realize that I love the early seasons way more than I like the recent season or two.

Since it's the new year I figured I needed to start watching the news again so I taped two programs. I'll only watch one going forward but I haven't decided which one to stick with.
Old 01-03-17, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm looking forward to watching The Lion King trilogy sometime this month. With some Christmas money, I bought the region free UK release from Amazon on Blu Ray for only $19.
Old 01-03-17, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Boris Karloff in Colonel March of Scotland Yard (Amazon Prime) seems in the write-up to be one of the early links in the Department S/Kolchak/X-Files chain, given that March is head of the "Department of Queer Complaints" and there are episodes dealing with the Abominable Snowman, spirits, fortune tellers and other oddities.

But it's turned out to rather more down-to-earth and formulaic. Entertaining enough, but not comparable to what followed - the ITC stable of the Avengers, Prisoner, etc.
Old 01-03-17, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
Boris Karloff in Colonel March of Scotland Yard (Amazon Prime) seems in the write-up to be one of the early links in the Department S/Kolchak/X-Files chain, given that March is head of the "Department of Queer Complaints" and there are episodes dealing with the Abominable Snowman, spirits, fortune tellers and other oddities.

But it's turned out to rather more down-to-earth and formulaic. Entertaining enough, but not comparable to what followed - the ITC stable of the Avengers, Prisoner, etc.
I think you probably should have included Scooby-Doo, Where Are You! in the chain. Scooby-Doo, Where Are You! and Dept S both premiered roughly the same time. I like Dept S, but it never really embraced the weird, though there are a few good weird episodes, like the one with the 'immortals'.
Old 01-03-17, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've been binge watching Gargoyles this afternoon, and just finished the 5th episode from Season 2, 'The Mirror', which introduced Puck.
Old 01-04-17, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just finished one of my favorite episodes of Gargoyles, 'Eye Of The Beholder', in which Fox was becoming a werewolf after being given the Eye of Odin.
Old 01-04-17, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I found out YouTube has episodes of The Sky At Night, so I've been watching them this morning. I just finished an interesting episode about Mercury transiting the Sun.
Old 01-04-17, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yesterday was devoted to the Encore Western Channel and its afternoon lineup of TV westerns. I learned that they just started showing "Tales of Wells Fargo," with Dale Robertson. I wish I'd learned a day sooner since they started showing it on Monday. So I watched eps. 3 & 4 of that, plus eps. of "Wyatt Earp," "Cheyenne" and a "Death Valley Days" episode hosted by and starring Ronald Reagan, the year before he was elected Governor of California.

Plus I watched eps. of "The Phil Silvers Show" (Sgt. Bilko) on DVD.

And on Monday, I picked up the New Year's music shows from Japan at a local Japanese video store: Three programs, seven discs, approx. 14 hours, featuring dozens of acts, including some of my favorites. And I still haven't finished last year's Japanese New Year's shows!
Old 01-04-17, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Amazon put the new BR release of The Twilight Zone Complete Series on sale for $72 earlier this week. As it's a series I really enjoy I threw a copy in my cart - but - put on my Image DVD copy of the "Definitive Edition" first disc of S1 and watched the first two episode to see how it looks. Oh my... it looks *very* good played my BR player on the 40" HDTV. I had to get up fairly close to see "issues" with the image and could turn on some noise removal processes on the set to make it even cleaner looking (and surprisingly that didn't make it look "plastic" like on some stuff). The *only* issue I've run across is the S1 DVDs have neither subtitles or CC (although S2-S5 do have subtitles). BUT the BR reportedly has all the video on the "next week" promos restored along with some other new bonus stuff. I don't typically bother with bonus stuff and only watched a smattering of what's on the DVD set. I'm now firmly on the fence about the purchase. I was hoping the DVDs looked "bad" enough to justify the purchase but now I just don't know. Does anyone have both? Is there enough of a improvement to justify the upgrade?
Old 01-04-17, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

With an Amazon gift card that I got for Christmas, I bought Seasons 3 and 4 of the new Battlestar Galactica, on Amazon Instant Video. I now have all four seasons, the pilot miniseries, and Blood And Chrome.
Old 01-04-17, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by shadokitty
With an Amazon gift card that I got for Christmas, I bought Seasons 3 and 4 of the new Battlestar Galactica, on Amazon Instant Video. I now have all four seasons, the pilot miniseries, and Blood And Chrome.
Depending on how you look at it, you now need The Plan. BUT - don't watch it until you've seen the entire series.

Is Razor included in any of the digital seasons? If not, you'll want that as well.
Old 01-04-17, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Depending on how you look at it, you now need The Plan. BUT - don't watch it until you've seen the entire series.

Is Razor included in any of the digital seasons? If not, you'll want that as well.
I don't think so, since Razor was also sold. Isn't The Plan a recap of the series from the Cylon point of view?
Old 01-04-17, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have enough to buy either The Plan or Razor left on my gift card. Which one would you recommend? Also, I believe the original Battlestar Galactica is on Hulu. Might it make an interesting comparison to watch the original series too?

Edit: I just found the original Battlestar Galactica for $10, so bought that instead.

Last edited by shadokitty; 01-04-17 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-04-17, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think so, since Razor was also sold. Isn't The Plan a recap of the series from the Cylon point of view?
I looked to see... Razor is not included with either S3 or S4. It comes between those seasons. You'll want to add it at some point. If you have Prime just do a few "slow shipping credits" to get a copy "free."

Yes, The Plan is pretty much that - a different, Cylon, perspective on what happened during the mini-series and seasons 1 & 2.
I have enough to buy either The Plan or Razor left on my gift card. Which one would you recommend? Also, I believe the original Battlestar Galactica is on Hulu. Might it make an interesting comparison to watch the original series too?

Edit: I just found the original Battlestar Galactica for $10, so bought that instead.
I'd get Razor before The Plan as it ties in more directly with the main series.

I'm currently watching the original. It's been a while since I last saw it and I'd forgotten some of the similarities. It *is* interesting to watch for comparison's sake. A 2-part episode I watched last night was about them finding the "Pegasus" - the theme of Razor. It made me want to get out my new BR of the remake and compare the two films.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.