DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 3 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/637833-100-movies-31-days-12th-annual-october-horror-movie-challenge-oct-1-31-pt-3-a.html)

shadokitty 10-30-16 06:27 AM

Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by jacob_b (Post 12934225)
Finished all of the Halloween series for once. As much as I love Freddy, I got to say, the Halloween series did a much better job overall than Nightmare. Granted, the last movie of the original Halloween series was trash (Busta should have been killed easily) and #3 was not even about Michael, there were some gems and good acting throughout most of the sequels while Laurie > Nancy any day of the week. Plus, I don't think many can stack up again Danielle Harris or Paul Rudd.

Of the big 3, I've always preferred Michael.

shadokitty 10-30-16 08:02 AM

Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by nondiatonic (Post 12934244)
Yesterday's Review:

Tennessee Volunteers @ South Carolina Gamecocks (Butch Jones / 2016) ★
Predictable plot based on the previous entries. Very poor direction and coordinating. Easily the most horrifying piece I've watched all month.

I suspect I should be able to use today's Bills game as a wild card. Playing the Patriots, and Tom Brady is off of his suspension. Not to mention the Patriots will be eager for revenge against the shut out earlier in the season. ;)

MysterioMan007 10-30-16 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by jacob_b (Post 12934225)
Finished all of the Halloween series for once. As much as I love Freddy, I got to say, the Halloween series did a much better job overall than Nightmare. Granted, the last movie of the original Halloween series was trash (Busta should have been killed easily) and #3 was not even about Michael, there were some gems and good acting throughout most of the sequels while Laurie > Nancy any day of the week. Plus, I don't think many can stack up again Danielle Harris or Paul Rudd.

I feel the same way. Halloween has always been my favorite. I'm going to marathon them tomorrow. As bad as Resurrection turned out to be, I'd rather watch it over the later Freddy movies any day, especially Freddy's Dead.

cwileyy 10-30-16 11:01 AM

Wow, finally caught up!

Unfortunately, this year has been incredibly slow for me due to work and having just moved. Also, I got really behind in the thread and it took me way too long to get caught up. Initially, I was keeping posts I wanted to comment on, but they stretched back so far that I figured I'd just bring up a few things from the last few pages:

Originally Posted by jacob_b (Post 12931988)
They should have just called this film something else. It was kind of hard to get through. When you saw the first two and getting ready for #3 and hoping for a good slasher, this was highly disappointing and a totally different pace. I can see why it bombed in the theaters. Why do people even like this film nowadays?

I really love Halloween III. It's not perfect by any means, but I get the same feeling watching this that I do with Trick 'r Treat. Somehow, it manages to do a great job capturing the Halloween spirit.

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 12931948)
Currently in the middle of a Conjuring double feature. So much better than the Insidious films.

I actually prefer the first Insidious film over The Conjuring. Now, don't get me wrong, The Conjuring is great, and I even re-watched both during the challenge, but when I first saw Insidious I found it to be so original and it had some really great scares (including one of my favorite jump scares when
Spoiler:
a shadowy figure is walking past the window outside back and forth, and then is suddenly inside (I'm doing a terrible job describing this)
Now, where The Conjuring definitely succeeds over Insidious is with the sequel. The sequel to Insidious was garbage, and actually made me question how much I enjoyed the first one. I've actually avoided part 3 because I didn't want it to affect my opinion of the first any further. The Conjuring 2, on the other hand, is a great complement to the first film.

Originally Posted by BobO'Link (Post 12931580)
I purchased the first season to sample the series when Amazon had it for $5. I didn't care for it at all. In addition to what you guys have said, I thought it had huge lapses in logic and character motivation. Things occurred that defy normal behavior and reason. Continuity errors abound. I didn't bother with S2 onward.

I gave it to my daughter as she'd started watching with S2 and said she likes the program. She's still watching as the grandkids will mention it occasionally (she apparently lets the 5yo watch so it can't be too bad/scary).

I've never read the comic but it comes highly recommended by the LCS manager.

I'm in the same boat regarding The Walking Dead. I watched the first season and found it to be incredibly generic and predictable, and when the second season came out, everyone was saying they thought the first season was better. Since I didn't enjoy the first season, I didn't even bother. However, everyone keeps talking about it at work, and people insist that I should see it, so I do plan to catch up at some point.

Originally Posted by Spiderbite (Post 12931280)
Big Tits Zombie - Unfortunately the title is the best part about this movie. I should have know better but took a chance anyway. Hardly any tits either unless you count covered tits (I don't). The most interesting thing about the DVD is that you can watch it with the English subtitles but listen with the English dub. The English dub is more along the lines of a Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode (making fun of the situation, adding weird dialogue, strange sounds added, etc.) while the English subtitles appear to be the true translation of what the Japanese dialogue is. Two entirely different aspects make it a little more interesting. Oh yeah...and also a fire breathing vagina.

Originally, I had really enjoyed the new wave of Japanese gore films, with titles such as The Machine Girl and Tokyo Gore Police, which felt lower budget but had enough creativity and enthusiasm to make it really enjoyable. After that, I feel they have devolved into a pretty boring mishmash. The two worst offenders for me were Robogeisha and then Vampire Girl vs. Frankenstein Girl - both were incredibly boring and had me checking how much longer I had to go to finish. I pretty much avoided them after that, but if anyone has any recommendations, I'll take them up on it!

Originally Posted by Spiderbite (Post 12933737)
Goodnight Mommy (2014) - Nice, eerie atmosphere but with a
Spoiler:
predictable twist you can see right off from a mile away
and the ending telegraphed way too early. If you watch horror regularly, you have seen this before. It almost seems like a remake of a movie but one I can't remember.

Goodnight Mommy reminded me of
Spoiler:
The Other (1972).
. While I did enjoy the movie, I agree that
Spoiler:
the twist was incredibly predictable, and I agree with Greg Macguffin in that I saw the twist incredibly early into the movie, so quick and predictable that I thought that the movie must have another trick up its sleeve regarding this predictable twist because it was so obvious, I couldn't believe that it would actually be the twist. Similarly, I also felt the twist to
Spoiler:
The Other
was also incredibly predictable.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 10-30-16 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by shadokitty (Post 12934232)
Of the big 3, I've always preferred Michael.

1. Freddy - First two are the best Freddy's, then he turned more and more into a clown. Hated 3 and 4 is probably the one that improved a bit before it goes straight down the crapper.

2. Jason - Don't care for him too much starting with when he goes to Manhattan.

3. Michael - He's always been bland. Flavorless killer that walks around because he has family issues. There's one kill I like that he does in the Zombie Halloween 2 because it's a straight up rage/letting it all out kill.

For today's theme, I watched Ghoulies. That was a movie I wanted to like as a kid but the story was just not there. I did just notice that Olivia from Law and Order SVU was in it.

shadokitty 10-30-16 12:19 PM

For today's theme movie, I watched The Craft. I first saw this movie many years ago on TBS, one weekend afternoon, and I've loved it ever since. It still holds up.

Dick Laurent 10-30-16 12:31 PM

The movie theater I usually go to I still can't get to due to washed out roads. What's the subset requirement for theatrical showing? Is it you only get a bonus day if you attend one, or you have to attend one and can use that as a bonus day?

SterlingBen 10-30-16 12:54 PM

http://i.imgur.com/6ECVWb1.jpg
If anyone is looking for a gem for the Drive In Challenge, this is it!

BobO'Link 10-30-16 01:21 PM

I just finished a first time viewing of the original Halloween II. It was "OK" but not nearly as good as the first film. I should mention that I only own a copy because it came in a set with 3 other films, none of which are part of the Halloween series.

Chad 10-30-16 03:17 PM

I failed miserably at a marathon last night and fell asleep after some Eurosleeze (Satan's Blood). Oh well, it was my first day getting six films in.

For today's theme I caught the The Hallow. Loving the Irish genre contributions as of late. I think this is the third film I've caught where the creature(s) is
Spoiler:
allergic to light.
Also the Halloween-themed throwback slasher The Funhouse Massacre. Doesn't bring anything new to the table, just cheesy gory fun with Robert Englund.

Originally Posted by Undeadcow (Post 12934167)
Reaching a point in the challenge where I'm looking at all the stuff I had hoped to watch this month and realizing how little of a dent I've put into it (got too easily side tracked).

I've been pretty good at getting everything from my to watch pile in for the most part. That's mostly due to watching more physical media and having less reliance on streaming. Just open and watch; no taking an hour to decide what to watch due to the selection offered.

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent (Post 12934413)
The movie theater I usually go to I still can't get to due to washed out roads. What's the subset requirement for theatrical showing? Is it you only get a bonus day if you attend one, or you have to attend one and can use that as a bonus day?

The former. Just an added incentive if don't wanna watch everything.

cwileyy 10-30-16 03:24 PM

How is It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown counted? This seems to be a title that has different rules applied, so I wasn't sure whether it counts as 1 or 0.25, like most half-hour shows.

Also, I asked this last year and don't really remember getting much of a response, but how do you guys feel about Donnie Darko being counted?

indiephantom 10-30-16 03:43 PM

This little Canadian horror flick has a lot going for it and it's perfect for today's theme as it takes place on October 30th- Devil's Night! Very hot and very bad girls getting nasty behind the scenes of an extreme haunted house. It's dark, sleazy and pretty graphic at times. Recommended viewing!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...6bcf050139.jpg

Trevor 10-30-16 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by cwileyy (Post 12934529)
How is It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown counted? This seems to be a title that has different rules applied, so I wasn't sure whether it counts as 1 or 0.25, like most half-hour shows.

Also, I asked this last year and don't really remember getting much of a response, but how do you guys feel about Donnie Darko being counted?

It counts as .25, or I guess you could use a wildcard on it and count it as 1.

Yes, on Darko imo, but it's always up to the individual.

DaveyJoe 10-30-16 04:21 PM

Unseasonably warm temps here today. It's hard to watch scary movies when it's 70 degrees and I'm in walking distance of the dock bar. Horny teenagers will have to wait because the only thing getting slayed right now is a whiskey cocktail.

SethDLH 10-30-16 04:23 PM

Viewing has slowed to a crawl for me the last couple days. Yesterday was busy (still managed to fit in 2 movies) and today I haven't watched anything yet as I recover from last night's Halloween party. I screwed up yesterday and forgot to watch a Theme Night film... whoops. I'll finish strong tonight and tomorrow.

clckworang 10-30-16 04:40 PM

Once again, I have allowed myself to get way behind on my shirt posts, but I'm still doing it.

Let's go way back to European theme day for this little one

These critters were perfect for Christmas theme day

Not all the shirts can be good ones. Don't blame me for this goofy one on supernatural/seance/ghost day. I got it in sent to be randomly

I couldn't think of any shirt I had for anthology theme day, but then a day or two before, I got a Treehouse of Horror shirt from my Nerd Block. Works for me.

Frankenstein theme day brought out this Bride of Re-Animator shirt

This Wes Craven tribute shirt definitely qualifies for the Fangoria Chainsaw Awards theme day

And now finally we get today's satanic/witchcraft theme day. I felt like this shirt was sort of a wild card that I could justify for just about any theme, but I think it works especially well for today's theme

That leaves one more for tomorrow, and I think I can actually say I was able to basically stay on theme with shirts through the whole month. :lol: Definitely one of the sillier sub-challenges I've attempted in October, but it was fun for a lark anyway.

clckworang 10-30-16 04:43 PM

For some reason, I thought It's The Great Pumpkin counted as one. No big deal if it's not, but I guess it does not clarification.

I watched The Shallows last night. I really enjoyed it. I think I've decided I wouldn't like to get stuck out in the ocean with a shark.

Gobear 10-30-16 04:48 PM

For today's theme I watched The Witch a film that deserves all the praise it has won. More than an horror film, it's a drama of a family exiled from Plymouth whose emotional bonds disintegrate as each become the prey of a witch. Robert Eggers, the writer and director, captures the look and feel of 17th-century America, where English settlers might as well have found themselves on another planet.

Chad 10-30-16 05:48 PM

Last one.

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 12929564)
<BR>
Sunday Night Trivia Question #4: The Final Chapter

This one shifts focus from Turner Classic Movies to this year's challenge theme - The 1980's!

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...e.png~original

You're stranded on a deserted island. What 3 horror films from the 1980's do you pick?

That's it. Once again, there's no right or wrong answers. Randomly drawn.

You're playing for a HamiltonBook.com Super Prize Pack #4:

- Women’s Prison Massacre
- Easy Money/Men at Work
- Millenium/R.O.T.O.R.
- Rollercoaster
- All Quiet on the Western Front
- Braddock: MIA 2
- Invasion U.S.A.
- Psychic Killer
- Jesus of Nazareth
- Gong Show Movie
- Eliminators of the Year 3000
- No Way Out
- Dungeonmaster/Eliminators
- Sicilian
- Crush
- Battles Without Honor and Humanity (combo)
- Zero Boys (combo)
- Stuff
- Mutilator (combo)
- Black Cat (combo)
- Requiescant (combo)
- Cemetery Without Crosses (combo)
- Black Mama, White Mama (combo)
- Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Miss Osbourne (combo)
- Dillinger (combo)
- Massacre Gun (combo)
- La Grande Bouffe (combo)
- Microwave Massacre (combo)

Courtesy of...
<table border="30"><tr>
<TD BGCOLOR=#000000>http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...nBookLogo3.png</tr></td></table>

Submit your answers to me via PM or email (one entry per person).

Contest is open up until the winner is announced Sunday.

Good luck.

<BR>

Shack 10-30-16 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by clckworang (Post 12934562)
For some reason, I thought It's The Great Pumpkin counted as one. No big deal if it's not, but I guess it does not clarification.

As I recall, in the early days of the Challenge, it had special status and counted as an entry - this was before the establishment of the TV formulas and the wildcards. Now there are several ways to count it.

Chad 10-30-16 06:22 PM

<BR>

Best List Voting is open.

Like last year, just pick one. PM or email.

Lists are due 11/7.

This is if you wanna be eligible for certain prize categories -- 50 & under, 100 & under, the optional lists, and whatever else I'm probably forgetting.

Winners Addresses are due 11/10.

***Please don't abandon this thread immediately after Halloween!*** I'll also post the winners on the Facebook page, but don't rely on the post to make it to your news feed/wall. Check the OHMC Page directly.

If you already own some of the prizes, let me know and I'll see what I can do. As usual, no guarantees I can accommodate your request.

clckworang 10-30-16 08:02 PM

Not the best day of viewing for me. I wish I could have devoted a bit more time to movies, but I had a few things I needed to do. I was already taking off the 31st and 1st from work so that I could do nothing but watch movies, but then I got a job interview on the 31st. Who does interviews on Halloween?! Anyway, it's one of those interviews that you're given homework to do, so I had to get a bunch of things together. That took a few hours out of my day. Plus, I'll have a few more hours taken out of my viewing schedule for tomorrow's interview, but we'll see what happens. It could be a good opportunity.

Otherwise, the good news about today was that I knocked out the daily subset list with today's movie and stayed on track to complete the themes tomorrow. My list is currently at 125. That's the second most that I've watched during a challenge. My high is from 2012 when I hit 138. I don't see much chance of matching that total, but we'll see where I wind up.

I hope everyone is making the most of the final days!

clckworang 10-30-16 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Shack (Post 12934599)
As I recall, in the early days of the Challenge, it had special status and counted as an entry - this was before the establishment of the TV formulas and the wildcards. Now there are several ways to count it.

I counted it as a full entry last year after including it as a partial entry previous years. That makes me think it was decided last year to count it as one.

Edit to add: Here's the post from last year I was thinking of that seemed to indicate it was counted as one.

Chad 10-30-16 09:43 PM

And the winner of the fourth and final trivia question is...

BobO'Link

Congratulations! You're now the owner of the HamiltonBook.com Super Prize Pack #4:

Courtesy of...
<table border="30"><tr>
<TD BGCOLOR=#000000>http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...nBookLogo3.png</tr></td></table>

You're stranded on a deserted island. What 3 horror films from the 1980's do you pick?

1. John Carpenter's The Thing
2. The Shining
3. Evil Dead II

You're stranded in the 7th layer of hell for an eternity of suffering. What 3 horror films from the 1980's do you pick?

1. Hobgoblins
2. Monster Dog
3. Munchies

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...bgoblins_2.jpg

An extra special thanks to GoldenWheels from HamiltonBook.com for going above and beyond as usual. Support them!

<BR>

wishbone 10-30-16 09:53 PM

Congrats Bob!

I hit 100 today watching of my faves, Captain Kronos:&nbsp;&nbsp;Vampire Hunter, and I completed my checklist with no duplicates. It's been a fun challenge. :)