Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chad
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only like the Welcome Package. Also remember that any preliminary codes are just that and BN could pull it, change the details or exclusions anything prior to release so always a bit of YMMV until the final release date

Mini FAQ
Coupons should not work for PREORDERS , Nook, Legos, Rosetta Stone, Digital, Gift Cards, Memberships, etc. There are glitches where sometimes an excluded item will be allowed but assume that is the exception to the rule
Free Shipping is $25 (before tax/shipping) or with membership.
Max 3 GC on a single online order.
Online only a single code can be applied to an order
Return period is 14 days after delivery (possibly 30 days for members though I've never tried)
Online ordered items can returned to a local store unless it's classified as a web-only item then it's at the store's discretion to accept
The long standing Free 60 day Trial Offer was discontinued in late May 2016

INSTORE CODES -- Click for printable
15% Off Single Item (A) Store Only Exp ??12/31/2017
15% Off Single Item (B) Store Only Exp ??12/31/2017

ONLINE CODES
20% Off Online Single Item
F7V8H7U exp Nov 1, 2016 2:59am ET

15% off One Item Online -- All Customers -- re-usable online. Unknown Expiration
9DAWJ1Z88Z134
NKMMWDZJXAE73
VP5ZZ6QN15VUU
UKTSTGZRDURTL
SLDJ4YKZSZKPA
SQ63RKJ3FTF48
N1BBG1DNGW6AF

5% Off Your Entire Purchase
BNINSURE05 June 20, 2016 at 12:01am to November 1, 2016 at 2:59am Eastern Time

$10 off $75 or more Purchase Online Only
BNOCT75 probably expires 10/15 2:59am ET.

Member Welcome Coupons EXPIRES October 24, 2016 2:59am ET
J9A3P8X $10 off $40+ "Home & Gift" Single Item EXP 10/24/2016
M3B4R7P $5 off $20+ Toy or Game Single Item EXP 10/24/2016
D9X8M7F $5 off $15+ Single Music CD/LP EXP 10/24/2016
H9H3R8P $5 off $50+ total Purchase EXP 10/24/2016
V3F3E9T $8 off $40+ single DVD/BD EXP 10/24/2016

Printable In-Store Member Only Coupons Expires end of business October 23, 2016
Free Latte with Cafe purchase exp 10/23/2016
In store $5 off $15 Single Music CD Exp 10/23/2016
In store $5 off $50 Transaction Exp 10/23/2016
In store $8 off $40 Single DVD/BD Exp 10/23/2016
Print Wikipost

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Old 10-21-16, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by arw6040
Hope everyone is doing okay as can be & enjoying the challenge so far. I had a lot of personal/medical issues come up so I was mostly holed up watching movies to distract myself while feeling down rather than coming on here but thought I'd update what I have enjoyed the most so far for first time watches (Some of these films surprised me quite a bit that I expected to not like such as Eli Roth's movies (Wasn't a fan of Hostel/Cabin Fever in the past as not a body horror fan typically.) Some of these I've since changed my initial rating after thinking on it longer so haven't updated my list yet will soon, but for the most part these were pretty good (at least on an personal entertainment level) if not great): What Ever Happened To Baby Jane, Proxy, Angst, Knock Knock, Bloodwork, Darling, The Witch, The Neon Demon, The Green Inferno, The Conjuring 2, Last Shift, Pontypool, Let Us Prey, The Woods, Fragile, Mikey, Citadel, The Stranger, Ava's Possessions.
Good your keeping your spirits up with watching horror! This year seems to be the physical/health OHMC curse rather than the usual electronics one. Though with the hurricane quite a few of us lost power, but that's an extraordinary occurrence. Can't blame that one on the curse. Also shouldn't be talking so much about curses for at least another 1.5 hours EST...
Old 10-21-16, 09:53 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by davidh777
Props to the folks piling up big numbers. I watched High Tension and then needed an intensity break.
That's a powerful film. I remember my heart racing and holding the pillow near my eyes most of that the first time I watched it.
Old 10-21-16, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

For tonight's theme I watched the original The Town That Dreaded Sundown. WTF is up with the narration? Show, don't tell!
Old 10-21-16, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
Good your keeping your spirits up with watching horror! This year seems to be the physical/health OHMC curse rather than the usual electronics one. Though with the hurricane quite a few of us lost power, but that's an extraordinary occurrence. Can't blame that one on the curse. Also shouldn't be talking so much about curses for at least another 1.5 hours EST...
Thanks yes for some reason watching tv shows or movies in general seems to be the best distraction when I'm in pain or feeling down due to my low pain tolerance can't do much else (not in work or school currently either) and even that can be difficult but better than nothing during my favorite month of the year. I also had computer issues last year, here's to hoping the next challenge is better electronics/physical health wise as much as possible for those who participate in this challenge & glad to hear you are safe from the hurricane.
Old 10-21-16, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Gobear
For tonight's theme I watched the original The Town That Dreaded Sundown. WTF is up with the narration? Show, don't tell!
I just watched the remake of this film the other night blah it was kind of a chore to get through, thought it would be a little more ok not great but it wasn't really worth it even as a slasher fan. I don't really recall the original that much but I do remember it being a lot of narration.
Old 10-21-16, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

If we're talking about a health curse this year, I also kind of fall under that rule. I was recently diagnosed with diabetes, and my A1C jumped so high so fast, I went directly from a low dose sugar pill, straight to insulin. That's why a lot of times my eyesight is poor, as even my current dose of insulin doesn't seem to be working to lower my sugar very much, if at all.
Old 10-21-16, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know what it is, but I've managed to get six movies in today and yesterday. Both days I also ran errands, today went to doctor and pharmacy. Not even staying up too late (except right now) or getting up very early. Weird.

Also, Arrow Video's release of Bay of Blood just blew me away. A lot of the makeup effects held up well even with the new scan.
Old 10-22-16, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by nondiatonic
20. Trick 'R Treat* (Michael Dougherty / 2007) ★
I don't understand how so many people can buy into the hype of these shitty films. What a waste of a substantial budget. But, I guess if people keep sucking an unwarranted d*ck, these horrible films will continue to be made.
Everyone has different taste, so I'm curious as to the WHY in which you disliked this film so much.

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
If you notice The Girl In the Photographs on Netflix and think it looks interesting... just go hang yourself instead, it is a dud - instead of being a slasher or home invasion movie it's basically a character driven comedy with some of the most obnoxious smucks ever.

Rewatched the first two Saw movies; they're very gimmicky full of editing tricks and concurrent chase stories but don't really hold up much to multiple viewings. Given the continuity heavy sequels I keep thinking it would be fun to marathon then... but I don't think I have that kind of stamina for Saw.
Shocked Kal Penn did this film. It was really bad. Great art work and a way to draw people to check it out, but ugh, it was so painful to watch.

Bummer to hear about Saw. I am planning on watching it all next year for the new one that comes out. Any particular reason why the first does not hold up well?

Originally Posted by Gobear
I think this is free somewhere and would like to see it before watching the remake. Guessing the original isn't good at all?
Old 10-22-16, 01:28 AM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b
I think this is free somewhere and would like to see it before watching the remake. Guessing the original isn't good at all?
The original is Free With Ads at Vudu:

http://www.vudu.com/movies/#!content/574353

The remake is at Amazon Prime:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OLI7FPK/
Old 10-22-16, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Props to the folks piling up big numbers.
I thought skipping the checklist would make my numbers go up higher, but nope, I'm pretty much where I've been for the past few years!!! I usually finish around 155. I'm making a goal of 170 this year.
Old 10-22-16, 05:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For today's theme movie, I went with Howling III: The Marsupials. I admit it is not nearly as good as the first The Howling, but it could be because I love werewolf films anyways. But I found it to be quite an enjoyable movie.
Old 10-22-16, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Trying to look at my remaining checklist items. What are we doing for the 100th birthday of Forrest J Ackerman?
Old 10-22-16, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by arw6040
I just watched the remake of this film the other night blah it was kind of a chore to get through, thought it would be a little more ok not great but it wasn't really worth it even as a slasher fan. I don't really recall the original that much but I do remember it being a lot of narration.
I don't think I would consider the recent Town That Dreaded Sundown a remake as it directly acknowledges the original crimes. The movie is focused around a copycat killer influenced by the earlier murders and/or the original film. It's definitely a continuation as opposed to a remake.
Old 10-22-16, 11:02 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
The Fog, Dead And Buried, The Wickerman

What else in this vein do I need to see?
Late to chime in here, but The City of the Dead (released as Horror Hotel in the US) and Jacques Tourneur's Night of the Demon (a.k.a. Curse of the Demon) are two of my favourites in that vein.
Old 10-22-16, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by numbercrunch
i am a big fan of naschy's dracula film. did you watch the new vinegar syndrome blue ray because i felt like i had never seen the movie until i watched the vinegar release.
It was an old Elvira Movie Macabre episode but it wasn't the PG version. Way too many boobs for that rating.
Old 10-22-16, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Blood Punch is a fun horror comedy with a far out premise (think Groundhog Day with more death), I liked it a lot more than I expected and it fits today's theme.
Originally Posted by jacob_b
Bummer to hear about Saw. I am planning on watching it all next year for the new one that comes out. Any particular reason why the first does not hold up well?
In my opinion Saw 1 seems like a clever idea that doesn't stand up as well on multiple viewings because much of the suspense depends on twists. It's saved mostly by editing tricks, it's a plot with so many villains and concurrent stories but everything leads back to the 'men trapped in rooms' premise. Some of the setup stretches what is plausible and, more so in the next sequel, the traps just seem to be played for base shock value over emphasized to the point that they fail to make up for narrative shortcomings.
Old 10-22-16, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

I had never seen Sleepaway Camps II and III and I noticed they are streaming on Amazon Prime. I'm a little confused about the different versions. Looking on imdb, it sounds like these movies hacked terribly for their initial release in the 80's to get an R rating (the MPAA's crushing strictness from mid 80s to mid 90s really hurt the horror genre). The imdb notes say that most of the cuts were restored for DVD/Blu Ray. But on Amazon, the rating is listed as "R" (though it's certainly possible they were resubmitted for an "R" rating, which now allows for much more than it did 25-30 years ago).

Do any of you know if what's showing on Amazon Prime is the complete current home video version.
Old 10-22-16, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had fun watching all the Saw films for the first time, minus the first, a few years back. I thought the continuity between them all was fun even for the times the story got dumb. Worst part was the start of the last one with the trap that didn't really have anything to do with the series. That entire scene was completely out of place.
Old 10-22-16, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Just wrote up this little review of the history of Canadian Horror here for a magazine I work for. Thought this would be a good place to share:

http://bit.ly/2eaDGRW
Old 10-22-16, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Two quick and easy watches on Amazon Prime that fit today's theme:

Pharaoh's Curse
Curse of the Faceless Man

Oddly enough, both have a run time of 1 hour, 6 minutes.
Old 10-22-16, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Another thing that fits today's theme is Svengoolie tonight. Svengoolie is airing Dracula's Daughter.
Old 10-22-16, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Over 100 episodes into Dark Shadows, and it's feeling like the show is finding its stride. For the last 10 episodes, it seems like something important is happening in every show, with most episodes ending on a nice little cliffhanger leaving you wanting to see the next one. Part of it is that the cast seems to be getting more comfortable with their roles (especially with a couple characters already being recast). Also, we're past the "introduction" stage of the series. But mostly, I think Dan Curtis and company are just getting better at how to write and pace a daily soap opera.

While the supernatural elements are still in the background, they're becoming more prominent (with a couple of "ghost" characters getting some airtime). The focus of the story is now on a twisty murder mystery, which is much more interesting to me than stories about business deals, love lives, and the excruciatingly annoying child character (David Collins). Not knowing what happens, here's my guess for the murderer:
Spoiler:
I bet it's the caretaker Matthew who killed Bill Malloy! Roger is too obvious a culprit. And I know he's still in the cast when Barnabas joins, and as powerful as the Collins family is I don't think he could get away with murder. Mathew has the motive (he'd do anything to protect the Collins family), the means (he has keys to the house, and is always creeping around overhearing things), and has no alibi. Plus I think I remember the actor (Thayer David) getting to play a different character (kind of a Van Helsing academic) in the Barnabas era.
Old 10-22-16, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by brainee
I had never seen Sleepaway Camps II and III and I noticed they are streaming on Amazon Prime. I'm a little confused about the different versions. Looking on imdb, it sounds like these movies hacked terribly for their initial release in the 80's to get an R rating (the MPAA's crushing strictness from mid 80s to mid 90s really hurt the horror genre). The imdb notes say that most of the cuts were restored for DVD/Blu Ray. But on Amazon, the rating is listed as "R" (though it's certainly possible they were resubmitted for an "R" rating, which now allows for much more than it did 25-30 years ago).

Do any of you know if what's showing on Amazon Prime is the complete current home video version.
When you want info on cut/uncut versions, you should check out Movie-Censorship.com. It's an excellent site that provides detailed information on the various releases and what scenes are missing.

You can find comparisons of the Sleepaway Camp 2 & 3 versions here:

http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=401653
http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=1605

Based on that info, Sleepaway Camp II is the uncut version. And Sleepaway Camp III is the Rated-R version.
Old 10-22-16, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
I don't think I would consider the recent Town That Dreaded Sundown a remake as it directly acknowledges the original crimes. The movie is focused around a copycat killer influenced by the earlier murders and/or the original film. It's definitely a continuation as opposed to a remake.
Yes you are right I just typed it as a quick response lol but for those who haven't seen it and plan to should go into it knowing that so thanks for addressing that.
Old 10-22-16, 02:33 PM

The Hallmark Channel's Halloween movie Good Witch: Secrets of Grey House premieres tonight at 9pm.

http://www.hallmarkchannel.com/good-...-of-grey-house

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.