Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chad
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only like the Welcome Package. Also remember that any preliminary codes are just that and BN could pull it, change the details or exclusions anything prior to release so always a bit of YMMV until the final release date

Mini FAQ
Coupons should not work for PREORDERS , Nook, Legos, Rosetta Stone, Digital, Gift Cards, Memberships, etc. There are glitches where sometimes an excluded item will be allowed but assume that is the exception to the rule
Free Shipping is $25 (before tax/shipping) or with membership.
Max 3 GC on a single online order.
Online only a single code can be applied to an order
Return period is 14 days after delivery (possibly 30 days for members though I've never tried)
Online ordered items can returned to a local store unless it's classified as a web-only item then it's at the store's discretion to accept
The long standing Free 60 day Trial Offer was discontinued in late May 2016

INSTORE CODES -- Click for printable
15% Off Single Item (A) Store Only Exp ??12/31/2017
15% Off Single Item (B) Store Only Exp ??12/31/2017

ONLINE CODES
20% Off Online Single Item
F7V8H7U exp Nov 1, 2016 2:59am ET

15% off One Item Online -- All Customers -- re-usable online. Unknown Expiration
9DAWJ1Z88Z134
NKMMWDZJXAE73
VP5ZZ6QN15VUU
UKTSTGZRDURTL
SLDJ4YKZSZKPA
SQ63RKJ3FTF48
N1BBG1DNGW6AF

5% Off Your Entire Purchase
BNINSURE05 June 20, 2016 at 12:01am to November 1, 2016 at 2:59am Eastern Time

$10 off $75 or more Purchase Online Only
BNOCT75 probably expires 10/15 2:59am ET.

Member Welcome Coupons EXPIRES October 24, 2016 2:59am ET
J9A3P8X $10 off $40+ "Home & Gift" Single Item EXP 10/24/2016
M3B4R7P $5 off $20+ Toy or Game Single Item EXP 10/24/2016
D9X8M7F $5 off $15+ Single Music CD/LP EXP 10/24/2016
H9H3R8P $5 off $50+ total Purchase EXP 10/24/2016
V3F3E9T $8 off $40+ single DVD/BD EXP 10/24/2016

Printable In-Store Member Only Coupons Expires end of business October 23, 2016
Free Latte with Cafe purchase exp 10/23/2016
In store $5 off $15 Single Music CD Exp 10/23/2016
In store $5 off $50 Transaction Exp 10/23/2016
In store $8 off $40 Single DVD/BD Exp 10/23/2016
Print Wikipost

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-16, 04:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Managed to watch 6 movies this week in spite of working every day and taking two fairly long wrestling road trips. Definitely planning to pick the pace up over the next seven days.
Old 10-10-16, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
Managed to watch 6 movies this week in spite of working every day and taking two fairly long wrestling road trips. Definitely planning to pick the pace up over the next seven days.
Horror and wrestling. Great way to spend the month.
Old 10-10-16, 08:29 AM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

my review of day 9

Old 10-10-16, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Playing catch up from all the hurricane rain and movie watching. Thankfully we didn't lose power. I was able to watch a good bit even with my mother in town who was fleeing coastal mayhem.

I decided to sit down and watch Who Can Kill A Child? I thought it had been chosen as a theme night a few years back, but couldn't find it on any of my lists. That year, we watched the much shorter remake whose name escapes me. The beginning of the original was quite different, but as soon as they rented the boat, they seemed very similar.
Old 10-10-16, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by WillieMLF
I decided to sit down and watch Who Can Kill A Child? I thought it had been chosen as a theme night a few years back, but couldn't find it on any of my lists. That year, we watched the much shorter remake whose name escapes me. The beginning of the original was quite different, but as soon as they rented the boat, they seemed very similar.
Come Out and Play (2012)
Old 10-10-16, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

I saw Surfinhank's list -- wow, just wow!
Old 10-10-16, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Congrats to the winners! I totally forgot to submit my list. Knew I was forgetting something. But it's Thanksgiving here in Canada and I blame the turkey.

btw, Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Canadians taking this challenge!
Old 10-10-16, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Anyone ever go back through their list of movie list from years ago and see if anything has changed since the last time you saw it? Found my review of Tusk and it still rings true after watching it again this challenge.
Not exactly, but I did rewatch two movies on old lists that I had no recollection of seeing and had no reviews written: Lurkers and Love Me Deadly. As it turns out, it wasn't that I hadn't watched either film. My past self was only trying to repress the memories of having seen them.
Old 10-10-16, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

Contrats Undeadcow and cwileyy!

I recently picked up the BR edition of Mimic (1997) which also contains Mimic 2 (2001) and Mimic: Sentinel (2003) because it was *less* expensive than the "Director's cut" edition of Mimic. I like the first and thought it would be the better deal. Well... at least this package *does* contain the "Director's Cut" of Mimic *and* was less expensive so in that respect it's the superior package.

I watched the two direct to DVD sequels last night and early this morning, both were first time viewings. Those are some pretty lame sequels, especially "Sentinel." I kept falling asleep on the third film, taking almost 3 hours to watch its rather short 1:17 run time! Both films have good special effects but the stories are rather poorly done. The third is so dark at times it's hard to see what's going on and the boredom of watching huge chunks of the "action" taking place in photos the main character has taken truly drags down the few real action sequences. By the time it was over I didn't care one way or the other if anyone survived. Add to that one of the most horribly designed menu systems I've ever seen (I thought I was going to have to eject and reload the disc to switch films until I discovered the "secret" which is not at all intuitive or logical) and this disc, which contains both sequels, will be left in the case.

From now on I'll just stick with Mimic and forget those other two films exist.
Old 10-10-16, 12:33 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Anyone ever go back through their list of movie list from years ago and see if anything has changed since the last time you saw it? Found my review of Tusk and it still rings true after watching it again this challenge.
When I watch a film it's ~90 minutes of trying to forget "me" and everything else, and just enjoying (or not) the world the film presents. I rarely remember much once a few days pass, so pretty much every time I watch a movie it's almost a first-time-viewing. I've watched films thinking it was a true FTV, then found that I've rated it before, sometimes with wildly different scores. My mood, and ability or inability to immerse myself each subsequent viewing, can drastically affect how I perceive it each time.
Old 10-10-16, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats Undeadcow and cwileyy!
Old 10-10-16, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On Saturday night. I managed to get in one viewing before bed, and that was via Youtube with The Last Slumber Party. Where do I begin? For one thing, I have a hard time believing the movie was actually made in 1988 as the copyright states. It appears like it was made in the early 80's based on the hair styles, cars, and everything else in general, and not released until 1988. If it was made in 1987 or 1988, I'd be surprised.

With that said, the lead lady Chris, played by Jan Jensen is a cute and feisty redhead who remains strangely blank faced and emotionless when discovering dead bodies and such. Acting in general is blah, editing is incomprehensible, lame blood effects, lame murders, no suspense, no nudity, and a real mind-fuck of an ending that will leave you wondering "What the hell did I just watch?" all make for a bad movie night viewing, at the very least. And it did make me dizzy, that I had a bizarre incomprehensible dream afterwards, and was dizzy and felt like I was on drugs all day yesterday, trying to shake the effects of the movie off my psyche.

Their is a rifftrax version of the movie, and a 'greatest hits' video of it is on Youtube, and I got the funniest laugh from the final comment
Spoiler:
"So long. Enjoy you're orange juice faggots." And you'll have to see the movie to understand the context.
Old 10-10-16, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
So post Matthew; power back on now. Internet just came back. Literally half of NC was down. Unfortunately we had 7 deaths in NC. I have a lot of trees and debree down around the house, but nothing damaged.

Of course what matters most is I got Motel Hell in last night and this morning watched my Vestron copy of Chopping Mall. Not sure about this whole thing with a large distributor masquerading as a boutique, unique release brand.
Glad you are back up. I'm still powerless. They offered up an estimated restoration of Oct 16th at 11:45 PM. What part of NC are you in? Triangle here.
Old 10-10-16, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
When I watch a film it's ~90 minutes of trying to forget "me" and everything else, and just enjoying (or not) the world the film presents. I rarely remember much once a few days pass, so pretty much every time I watch a movie it's almost a first-time-viewing. I've watched films thinking it was a true FTV, then found that I've rated it before, sometimes with wildly different scores. My mood, and ability or inability to immerse myself each subsequent viewing, can drastically affect how I perceive it each time.
Same here. For favorites I can wait a year or so and not recall many "lesser" events in a movie. For those less memorable films I can watch it again in a week and truly not recall anything I saw. I flagged one I watched a few days ago as a "new" viewing but honestly believe I watched it sometime during the past couple of years. I've yet to check.

But, yeah, I *do* look back sometimes and wonder what I was thinking for some films when I see how it was rated. And that goes for stuff I gave "good" ratings to as well as those I thought were horrible.
Old 10-10-16, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Same here. For favorites I can wait a year or so and not recall many "lesser" events in a movie. For those less memorable films I can watch it again in a week and truly not recall anything I saw. I flagged one I watched a few days ago as a "new" viewing but honestly believe I watched it sometime during the past couple of years. I've yet to check.

But, yeah, I *do* look back sometimes and wonder what I was thinking for some films when I see how it was rated. And that goes for stuff I gave "good" ratings to as well as those I thought were horrible.
I wish I could watch something and think it is a first time viewing. I can usually pick up small things that I didn't before for favorites, but other than that, many scares are gone.
Old 10-10-16, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
Another unseen gem discovered in this (almost) All 80s Challenge...

Curtains from 1983.

Really loved Blue Monkey, too. I think Stranger Things has refueled my love of old 80s synth scores.
I saw Blue Monkey this weekend, and really liked it as well. We really need a better version, as the one from YouTube wasn't looking too hot. I also plan on watching Bloody Beach before the week is out.
Old 10-10-16, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
On Saturday night. I managed to get in one viewing before bed, and that was via Youtube with The Last Slumber Party.
Their is a rifftrax version of the movie, and a 'greatest hits' video of it is on Youtube, and I got the funniest laugh from the final comment
Spoiler:
"So long. Enjoy you're orange juice faggots." And you'll have to see the movie to understand the context.
I watched the rifftrax version earlier and it really isn't a fun movie to sit through and I'd forgotten most of it already until you mentioned that quote.

I only managed to watch Ice Cream Man yesterday but it was the Monstervision version with Clint Howard showing up. Then I watched the debate where people would ask a question and get non-answers, like Hillary's answer to how she'll solve islamophobia by saying in the future she wants everyone in America to like each other. I wish if a boss gave me a difficult problem to solve I could just say "I have a dream that in the future this problem will be solved and everything will work perfectly" and then my boss would say good job and give me a raise.

Then I started Delinquent Schoolgirls but went to sleep before finishing it. After I get that one done today, I'll do the theme with Axe.
Old 10-10-16, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Even though Christopher Lee's Fu Manchu movies aren't listed as being "horror" at places like imdb or allmovie, I'm guessing they're ok since they're under the page 1 list of TCM's qualifying movies, right? I'm not sure if I've seen these (or if I have, it was so long ago I forgot everything) and was looking forward to TCM's airings. Karloff's The Mask of Fu Manchu is a favorite of mine. Even though nominally a crime/thriller, there were enough twisted elements to count as horror as well (a great example of visceral pre-code 30's horror).

I got to seeing The Hallow last night and quite enjoyed it. Rather than the slow-build horror I was expecting, I was pleasantly surprised to find it was an all-out creature feature. Though there was a scene of stupid parenting that made me chuckle:
Spoiler:
if your house is being besieged by an army of monsters, is that really the time to put the baby alone in a room? The mother raised an objection, only for dad to shoot her down, saying it was ok since they were leaving the baby monitor in the room. Needless to say, that didn't turn out well

I may make a run at 100 (though my work schedule picks up big time in the last couple of weeks of October, so it may still not happen). Watching a few Dark Shadows episodes on my bedroom tv before going to sleep is helping the count. 60 episodes in, and aside from the occasional ghostly activity (mysterious crying, a ghostly figure, objects moving by themselves) not much in the way of the supernatural going on. Though there was a storyline that seemed influenced by The Bad Seed, with a murderous evil child (who everyone seems content to let continuing to wander around Collinwood causing trouble).
Old 10-10-16, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Deathgasm is a hoot.

Cat in the Brain is a bore - who would have thought random gore segments would be so tedious? A film maker losing his mind is a 'cute' idea but never anything more.

I watched Vinegar Syndrome's Corruption release expecting some surreal mix of horrific and erotic but it's so intentionally mysterious I'm not sure it can be considered a horror film. I like the artistic attempt at depth and some of the meta elements but 'meh.'
Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Watched Axe aka Lisa, Lisa (1974) last night.

Can a movie be considered slow when it clocks in at only 67 minutes? ...I still kinda liked it but can't explain it. ...the ending is a little unnerving. Lots of odd things happen throughout that are never explained but I think it works out better that way... the movie still has some kind of strange charm. Weird.
Just finished Axe myself, it's a very surreal film - competently made but slow and with some surprisingly gruesome scenes. The Lisa actress has such as eerie meek presence. It certainly takes it's time getting to whatever passes for plot.
...Mimic: Sentinel (2003)...
I thought we all agreed to never speak of Mimic: Sentinel again; burn it lest it contaminate your movie collection.

Speaking of subpar sequels to good films I was let down by Sinister 2 today - it's like they hired some no talent hack to just rehash the first and find the most awkward way of explaining the presence of new characters and how randomly mean spirited they are. The 'ghosts' just sort of walk around without any attempt at suspense or even being ghost-list.
Old 10-10-16, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

Contrats Undeadcow and cwileyy!

I recently picked up the BR edition of Mimic (1997) which also contains Mimic 2 (2001) and Mimic: Sentinel (2003) because it was *less* expensive than the "Director's cut" edition of Mimic. I like the first and thought it would be the better deal. Well... at least this package *does* contain the "Director's Cut" of Mimic *and* was less expensive so in that respect it's the superior package.

I watched the two direct to DVD sequels last night and early this morning, both were first time viewings. Those are some pretty lame sequels, especially "Sentinel." I kept falling asleep on the third film, taking almost 3 hours to watch its rather short 1:17 run time! Both films have good special effects but the stories are rather poorly done. The third is so dark at times it's hard to see what's going on and the boredom of watching huge chunks of the "action" taking place in photos the main character has taken truly drags down the few real action sequences. By the time it was over I didn't care one way or the other if anyone survived. Add to that one of the most horribly designed menu systems I've ever seen (I thought I was going to have to eject and reload the disc to switch films until I discovered the "secret" which is not at all intuitive or logical) and this disc, which contains both sequels, will be left in the case.

From now on I'll just stick with Mimic and forget those other two films exist.
Aw man, that is in my 'to watch' pile.
Old 10-10-16, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

Watched Contamination (1980) and wasn't impressed. It has some great gore and a major special effect that is used about 20 times. It gets old after awhile but still looks cool every time! Other than that, not much to mention. It drags terribly in the middle and the final monster is pretty disappointing (but hilarious). It has a great, funky score that doesn't seem to match up with any scene in the movie. I am gonna sell my blu-ray but will find me a copy of the score.

Graduation Day (1981) is a fun early 80's slasher that I somehow have missed on my years of watching movies like this. Great fun soundtrack with some decent kills and a serviceable plot for a movie like this. It kept my interest with many of the strange directorial choices (long ass gymnastics scene, love of slow-mo throughout, love of almost psychedelic-type flashbacks, and a crazy long rollerskating scene) which adds to the flavor of the movie. That one song during the long rollerskating scene will get into your head! Check this one out if you haven't seen it.

Chopping Mall (1986) is a definite winner and one of the better B horror movies from around that time. Another one that for some strange reason I had never viewed. Really enjoyed it and it deserves its cult fan status.

Bride Of Frankenstein (1935) is a classic of course. I will save my main comments for the review thread but I just have to say that for this movie to be such a classic, it gets off to an awful start in the first quarter but more than makes up for it in the end.

Jaws 2 (1978) sadly did not hold up as well as I had remembered it. I loved it as a kid and enjoyed it more than the original (probably because it dealt more with kids than adults). This does not transfer well now and a lot of the kids just come across as obnoxious. It is bad when you are rooting for the shark for most of the movie.
Old 10-10-16, 03:51 PM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow, this is really awesome to have won! Thank you SO MUCH to Chad and to all of our awesome sponsors!

The search for movies in the banner is a huge part of my OHMC ritual, and has been a great way to also find new titles!

Originally Posted by wishbone
I saw Surfinhank's list -- wow, just wow!
Absolutely! He's often had incredibly creative lists, but this is my favorite so far!

Last edited by cwileyy; 10-10-16 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10-10-16, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I brought out my Mill Creek Drive In Classics set for today's theme movie. I watched a very good first time view, that had quite a bit of suspense. I watched Don't Look In The Basement. At first I didn't know whether I'd enjoy it or not, being from a Mill Creek set, but a friend of mine on Facebook had a few months ago mentioned how she enjoyed the movie.
Old 10-10-16, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Chopping Mall (1986)

Only in the 80s could a film like Chopping Mall be made. A local shopping mall installs a state of the art security system that includes patrolling robots designed to deter and apprehend criminals. Why the robots are equipped with GI Joe laser guns isn't properly explained, but if you're watching a movie called Chopping Mall, you're probably prepared to just roll with it. A group of friends that work in the mall decide to stay after hours to do the types of things young people like to do: sex, booze, and party on furniture that doesn't belong to them. Things are going well, before a lightning storm causes the robots to malfunction and kill everybody.

At just 77 minutes, this is a breezy and fun flick from Jim Wynorski. It's dated, but in a good way. Nowadays we just buy things on Amazon, but there used to be a time when we had to go to a shopping mall to be good consumers. This movie has everything you'd expect, eye candy, big hair, vapid characters, and great kills. The robots are programmed to read employee IDs and let workers continue on their way safely, but they just ended up killing everybody, causing me to chant human lives matter during the many kill scenes. In the time of ever-advancing artificial intelligence, this is an important movie to watch and ponder its warnings:

Motel Hell (1980)

Kevin Connor's bizarre film is like if somebody misunderstood the Texas Chain Saw Massacre script, and decided to film it as a comedy. It features Rory Calhoun as Farmer Vincent, who runs Motel Hello and keeps his guests coming back for his famous smoked meats. Customers always guess at his recipe, but it's a secret(hint: it's human flesh). His sister Ida is the only one who knows the secret, and gleefully helps him with the smoking process, but gets jealous when an attractive young woman has an extended stay at the motel while recovering from an accident.

This is a film that wouldn't work if it wasn't for the delightful performances by Rory Calhoun and Nancy Parsons as the beef jerky dream team. There are some really bizarre moments in this movie, including a garden of human heads, who futily gurgle for help, a swinging couple who mistake Farmer Vincent's murderous intentions for foreplay, and a chainsaw duel featuring a killer wearing a pig's head. The movie is pretty funny and enjoyable as long as you aren't looking for too much logic in the story. If the movie doesn't sound like it's for you, that's fine, after all: It takes all kinds of critters to make Farmer Vincent's fritters!
Old 10-10-16, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WpekZyESAjU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.