Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chad
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only like the Welcome Package. Also remember that any preliminary codes are just that and BN could pull it, change the details or exclusions anything prior to release so always a bit of YMMV until the final release date

Mini FAQ
Coupons should not work for PREORDERS , Nook, Legos, Rosetta Stone, Digital, Gift Cards, Memberships, etc. There are glitches where sometimes an excluded item will be allowed but assume that is the exception to the rule
Free Shipping is $25 (before tax/shipping) or with membership.
Max 3 GC on a single online order.
Online only a single code can be applied to an order
Return period is 14 days after delivery (possibly 30 days for members though I've never tried)
Online ordered items can returned to a local store unless it's classified as a web-only item then it's at the store's discretion to accept
The long standing Free 60 day Trial Offer was discontinued in late May 2016

INSTORE CODES -- Click for printable
15% Off Single Item (A) Store Only Exp ??12/31/2017
15% Off Single Item (B) Store Only Exp ??12/31/2017

ONLINE CODES
20% Off Online Single Item
F7V8H7U exp Nov 1, 2016 2:59am ET

15% off One Item Online -- All Customers -- re-usable online. Unknown Expiration
9DAWJ1Z88Z134
NKMMWDZJXAE73
VP5ZZ6QN15VUU
UKTSTGZRDURTL
SLDJ4YKZSZKPA
SQ63RKJ3FTF48
N1BBG1DNGW6AF

5% Off Your Entire Purchase
BNINSURE05 June 20, 2016 at 12:01am to November 1, 2016 at 2:59am Eastern Time

$10 off $75 or more Purchase Online Only
BNOCT75 probably expires 10/15 2:59am ET.

Member Welcome Coupons EXPIRES October 24, 2016 2:59am ET
J9A3P8X $10 off $40+ "Home & Gift" Single Item EXP 10/24/2016
M3B4R7P $5 off $20+ Toy or Game Single Item EXP 10/24/2016
D9X8M7F $5 off $15+ Single Music CD/LP EXP 10/24/2016
H9H3R8P $5 off $50+ total Purchase EXP 10/24/2016
V3F3E9T $8 off $40+ single DVD/BD EXP 10/24/2016

Printable In-Store Member Only Coupons Expires end of business October 23, 2016
Free Latte with Cafe purchase exp 10/23/2016
In store $5 off $15 Single Music CD Exp 10/23/2016
In store $5 off $50 Transaction Exp 10/23/2016
In store $8 off $40 Single DVD/BD Exp 10/23/2016
Print Wikipost

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-16, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

The themes for the previous two days both included Texas Chainsaw Massacre, so I sported a couple of Leatherface shirts
Spoiler:

and
Spoiler:

For today, I went with Eraserhead
Spoiler:
Old 10-09-16, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Can we count tonight's debate as a Horror show?

Old 10-09-16, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

I'm enjoying today's theme. Currently working my way through this pile and one day just won't cut it:

Spoiler:

Also caught the very 80s-esque no budget gem Drainiac (2000) streaming. Not pictured are I Bought a Vampire Motorcycle (DVD wouldn't play) and Slugs after forgetting to buy it during the Arrow sale.
Old 10-09-16, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobear
I strongly recommend watching Clown, about a genial family man who turns into a monster when he puts on a clown suit for his son's birthday party. Great make-up and effects, and a really good performance from the lead actor.
Was the first film I watched this challenge. Really well done. Seems like Eli Roth really knows how to produce films.
Old 10-09-16, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Was the first film I watched this challenge. Really well done. Seems like Eli Roth really knows how to produce films.
I've been thinking of picking up Clown since I first saw it at Best Buy. With all of this positive talk, I think I might finally pick it up.
Old 10-09-16, 06:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love doing the theme nights and checklist every year, but wow am I struggling to keep up with even just the theme nights this year. I never had a social life before last year so it was super easy but now it's almost a chore. It's especially hard on days like Monday where I start Tafe at 10am and I have class all day, and then at 4.30pm I volunteer on a TV show, so I'm not home until 9pm. Then I have to watch a quick movie and go straight to bed for an 8am start the next day >_>

I've only watched about half the movies I expected to at this point so I'm going to have to do some serious catch-up if I ever get a free day. Of course work is now busy for some reason (it's usually quiet in October) and I need money so am working pretty much every day too. ARGHHHHHHH

Anyway, my list hasn't been updated for a bit as I haven't had time (I'm even writing this in between getting dressed for Tafe), but I watched Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death the other day and calling it horror is a bit of a stretch but it's my favourite so far. It was funny and likable and I enjoyed it a lot.

I also rewatched I Spit on Your Grave with commentary and really enjoyed the commentary. It gave me a new appreciation for the film, but I'm worried I'm being too influenced by the commentary so I'll need to rewatch it properly at some point.

I wanted to have a whole day of weirdness yesterday but unfortunately had to work for most of it, so only got in 1.5 (was too tired to finish Rectuma, but will do today!). I've heard people whinging about Killer Tongue on here for years but I actually liked it It was stupid, but had this weird charm to it and it was surprisingly well shot. Like visually it was really nice (colours, sets, framing), and too good for that kind of film.
Old 10-09-16, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Deliver Us from Evil (2014)

Supposedly based on a true story, Deliver Us from Evil is a religious horror film about a workaholic cop investigating strange occurrences in New York City. I'm not religious, but I've always loved religious horror films, they can be deeply unsettling and spark the imagination on issues of mortality, the beyond, and faith. It seems like they don't make them very often, especially compared to previous decades. Deliver Us From Evil is an above average religious/possession horror flick from Scott Derrickson, director of Sinister. This film is a bit more cliche, with lots of jump scares, and requires a hefty amount of suspension of disbelief, especially featuring police officers acting unrealistically. There's some shoddy CGI, and it's missing the quiet elegance of Sinister, but it does deliver a lot atmosphere and scares, and should be given a shot if you like the subgenre.

Some surprising things: this movie uses The Doors songs effectively and I legit got creeped out when People Are Strange played, Olivia Munn gave a good performance, Joel McHale was a badass, this movie prophesized Harambe two years before it happened, a round, bouncy stuffed owl scared the hell out of me, Edgar Rodriguez plays a buff, sexy, shot taking priest, but his performance is kind of weak. The movie ends with an exorcism scene, which are always loud and draining. Derrickson seems to have a thing for creepy home/surveillance videos. It's not as effective as Sinister, but it's one of the best religious horror films I've seen in a while.

The Hills Have Eyes (1977)

Last year I watched The Last house on the Left for the first time. This year I decided to continue the tradition, and watch the Hills Have Eyes. It's amazing that I've never seen them, even though I've seen them in countless list of scariest/most disturbing movies. The Last House on the Left was a bit more disturbing because of its more realistic, home video feel. The Hills Have Eyes is more over-the-top and inspired by The Texas Chainsaw Massacre than The Virgin Spring, but it was electric, horrifying, and compelling. An all-American family is travelling to California, but their RV breaks down in the desert and leaves them stranded in the territory of a family of savage cannibals.

You've probably all seen it, so I'll just share some observations. This family's dog is more proactive and effective than 90% of horror movie boyfriends. He does more to protect the family than any pistol wielding, mustached 70s dude in the movie. Speaking of which, man were jean shorts tight back then. A big portion of the budget must have gone towards polarizing filters so the sunlight on those pasty white thighs wouldn't blind the audience. Bobby, the effeminate eldest son of the family reminded me of Schmidt from New Girl. It's no wonder this family was brutalized for 90 minutes. This movie had a lot going for it, but it didn't keep me up at night like The Last House on the Left did, which is a good thing, that movie destroyed all hope last year.
Old 10-09-16, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
Can we count tonight's debate as a Horror show?

I was thinking this exact thing
Old 10-09-16, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
I was thinking this exact thing
Pausing my horror movie watching to watch this...even got popcorn this time!
Old 10-09-16, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
Pausing my horror movie watching to watch this...even got popcorn this time!
I couldn't take it. I am about to start my #50 with Paranormal Activity 4 after I catch up a bit with reviews.
Old 10-09-16, 08:20 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

The Vestron Blu Ray of Chopping Mall is very nice, but i wish they could do better than an eco case and maybe some reverse cover art for the insert
Old 10-09-16, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobear
I strongly recommend watching Clown, about a genial family man who turns into a monster when he puts on a clown suit for his son's birthday party. Great make-up and effects, and a really good performance from the lead actor.
Clown was better than I expected played straight enough to be effective despite the silly premise. Nicely paced with the rubber nose rainbow wig action starting within 10 minutes and not letting up.
Originally Posted by Chad
...and Slugs after forgetting to buy it during the Arrow sale.
Just finished Slugs; it's an awesome mix of implausible creatures, slime, and over the top gore. Well worth it.
Old 10-09-16, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
Also, what was the point of Paul Bartel's bearded sarcastic character at the start? Did I miss him turning up again or was thay it?)
Paul Bartel needs no reason to appear in a movie, silly! In all seriousness, Bartel and Mary Wornov are reprising their roles from Eating Raoul in the movie. Likewise, Dick Miller reprises his role from A Bucket of Blood . Finally, Mel Welles from Attack of the Crab Monsters and Little Shop of Horrors appears as the cook at the restaurant the girls work at. Phew!
Old 10-09-16, 08:56 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Trying to decide if The Hearse (1980) qualifies for today's theme. Been on my to watch list for years.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080853/reference
Old 10-09-16, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I just discovered that what I thought was just a featurette all this time on my DVD of Halloween, is an actual documentary. I looked up Halloween Unmasked 2000, and it even has an IMDB entry all its own.
Old 10-09-16, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by lrend
The one I thought was strange on Holidays was the St. Patrick's Day one. It was interesting and strange at the same time.

Most Likely to Die is about a group of high school friends who get together for their 10 year reunion and of course a killer shows up. They get killed based on the monikers they were assigned in the yearbook (i.e. Most likely to get what she wants).
I knew that annoying drunk was familiar..it was Perez Hilton. Wasn't too bad. I do enjoy slasher films. Any other good slashers out there lately?

Originally Posted by clckworang
I've been thinking of picking up Clown since I first saw it at Best Buy. With all of this positive talk, I think I might finally pick it up.
Completely worth the buy, trust me.

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
I couldn't take it. I am about to start my #50 with Paranormal Activity 4 after I catch up a bit with reviews.
Not a good way hit the middle road.
Old 10-09-16, 10:39 PM

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Really, really odd - and possibly offensive - is Easter Bunny, Kill! Kill! (Amazon). Includes the line "It's Easter - not f**king Halloween!"
Old 10-09-16, 11:13 PM

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

I'm enjoying today's theme. Currently working my way through this pile and one day just won't cut it:

Spoiler:

Also caught the very 80s-esque no budget gem Drainiac (2000) streaming. Not pictured are I Bought a Vampire Motorcycle (DVD wouldn't play) and Slugs after forgetting to buy it during the Arrow sale.
I just got finished watching Bad Biology--that was a messed-up movie.
Old 10-09-16, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And the winner of the first trivia question is...

Undeadcow

Congratulations! You're now the owner of the HamiltonBook.com Super Prize Pack #1:

Spoiler:

Courtesy of...

The winner of the bonus question is...

cwileyy

Congratulations! You're now the owner of one of the following Blu-rays of your choice:

- Graduation Day
- Trailer War
- Blood Diner
- The Cannibal Man
- Street Trash Meltdown Edition
- The Rift

Courtesy of...

The correct answers for the bonus were Squirm (head and partial neck) from the Belgian poster, Dorian Gray (1970) (torso, arms and partial neck), and Maniac (1980) (legs and hands w/ objects held and the blood). It was that simple, yet very few people entered that one. However, the banner question had the most participants to enter to date.

Also, there was a couple of requests to list all the banner images used like I used to, but I didn't think to write them down as I went along. And that's not something I really wanna do at this point. Sorry.

Old 10-09-16, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sunday Night Trivia Question #2

It's back with a vengeance and easy as pie. Starring the TCM Monster of the Month.

Name 3 of your favorite Frankenstein film adaptations.

That's it. There's no right or wrong answers. Randomly drawn.

You're playing for a HamiltonBook.com Super Prize Pack #2:

Spoiler:

- Murders in the Rue Morgue/The Dunwich Horror
- Stung
- Gravy
- #Horror
- Bound to Vengeance (combo)
- Zombie Fight Club
- Jack’s Back (combo)
- Guardian
- Troll/Troll 2
- Sonny Boy
- Vincent Price Collection 3
- Boy Who Cried Werewolf
- Human Centipede 3 (combo)
- Sentinel
- Car
- Sharkansas Women’s Prison Massacre
- Hallow
- Bad Moon
- House Where Evil Dwells/Ghost Warrior
- Jeepers Creepers
- You’ll Like My Mother
- Nightmares
- Abandoned
- Frankenhooker (DVD)
- Legacy of Blood/Devil’s Wedding Night (DVD)
- Wicked, Wicked (DVD)
- MST3K vs. Gamera (DVD)
- Cinema of Jean Rollin: The Vampire Collection (DVD)

Courtesy of...

Submit your answers to me via PM or email (one entry per person).

Contest is open until next Sunday's trivia question begins.

Good luck.

Old 10-09-16, 11:24 PM

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by nezumi
Paul Bartel needs no reason to appear in a movie, silly! In all seriousness, Bartel and Mary Wornov are reprising their roles from Eating Raoul in the movie. Likewise, Dick Miller reprises his role from A Bucket of Blood . Finally, Mel Welles from Attack of the Crab Monsters and Little Shop of Horrors appears as the cook at the restaurant the girls work at. Phew!
Ahhh... pseudo-cameos. Well, good! Glad I asked.
Old 10-09-16, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

And the winner of the first trivia question is...

Undeadcow

Congratulations! You're now the owner of the HamiltonBook.com Super Prize Pack #1:
Congrats to both winners!!! BTW, I saw this on my Facebook feed. I've been seeing more about the Challenge this year.
Old 10-09-16, 11:56 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Wow! Can't believe I won a stacked Hamilton Books prize back; that makes my month! Many thanks to Hamilton Books / GoldenWheels and Chad for all the generosity/organization. That is one humbling prize. I've already told my wife, 'please don't get pissed when a truckload of movies shows up...'

I really appreciate it! That is so awesome!
Old 10-10-16, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anyone ever go back through their list of movie list from years ago and see if anything has changed since the last time you saw it? Found my review of Tusk and it still rings true after watching it again this challenge.
Old 10-10-16, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Congrats to both winners , and a big thanks to Goldenwheels.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.