Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chad
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only like the Welcome Package. Also remember that any preliminary codes are just that and BN could pull it, change the details or exclusions anything prior to release so always a bit of YMMV until the final release date

Mini FAQ
Coupons should not work for PREORDERS , Nook, Legos, Rosetta Stone, Digital, Gift Cards, Memberships, etc. There are glitches where sometimes an excluded item will be allowed but assume that is the exception to the rule
Free Shipping is $25 (before tax/shipping) or with membership.
Max 3 GC on a single online order.
Online only a single code can be applied to an order
Return period is 14 days after delivery (possibly 30 days for members though I've never tried)
Online ordered items can returned to a local store unless it's classified as a web-only item then it's at the store's discretion to accept
The long standing Free 60 day Trial Offer was discontinued in late May 2016

INSTORE CODES -- Click for printable
15% Off Single Item (A) Store Only Exp ??12/31/2017
15% Off Single Item (B) Store Only Exp ??12/31/2017

ONLINE CODES
20% Off Online Single Item
F7V8H7U exp Nov 1, 2016 2:59am ET

15% off One Item Online -- All Customers -- re-usable online. Unknown Expiration
9DAWJ1Z88Z134
NKMMWDZJXAE73
VP5ZZ6QN15VUU
UKTSTGZRDURTL
SLDJ4YKZSZKPA
SQ63RKJ3FTF48
N1BBG1DNGW6AF

5% Off Your Entire Purchase
BNINSURE05 June 20, 2016 at 12:01am to November 1, 2016 at 2:59am Eastern Time

$10 off $75 or more Purchase Online Only
BNOCT75 probably expires 10/15 2:59am ET.

Member Welcome Coupons EXPIRES October 24, 2016 2:59am ET
J9A3P8X $10 off $40+ "Home & Gift" Single Item EXP 10/24/2016
M3B4R7P $5 off $20+ Toy or Game Single Item EXP 10/24/2016
D9X8M7F $5 off $15+ Single Music CD/LP EXP 10/24/2016
H9H3R8P $5 off $50+ total Purchase EXP 10/24/2016
V3F3E9T $8 off $40+ single DVD/BD EXP 10/24/2016

Printable In-Store Member Only Coupons Expires end of business October 23, 2016
Free Latte with Cafe purchase exp 10/23/2016
In store $5 off $15 Single Music CD Exp 10/23/2016
In store $5 off $50 Transaction Exp 10/23/2016
In store $8 off $40 Single DVD/BD Exp 10/23/2016
Print Wikipost

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Old 10-08-16, 04:46 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

I know found footage films get a lot of flack, but for today's theme I'm loving Afflicted. It's on Amazon Prime.
Old 10-08-16, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,011 Likes on 616 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by jacob_b
I also loved the original Cabin Fever and am staying FAR away from the remake as I heard it is pretty much shot for shot. I do wonder if he took a ruler to the ass crack of the girl playing the part that Cerina Vincent did to get that one inch of ass.
It is shot for shot, dialogue for dialogue. There are some very minor changes but it was a bizarre choice to remake the original and then add nothing to it.

The biggest problem is the cast in my opinion. The production values are good but the cast is horrible. The girls don't look half as good as the ones from the original. The girls in the first movie blow the new ones away. The dofus character Bert is not played well at all by the new guy. The original guy had a very funny delivery on all of his lines no matter how anoying he gt. And Rider Strong played the average, normal friend-zoned dude really well in the original. The new guy is too good looking.

Everything about the cast is off in this movie. The great weirdo cameo played by Eli Roth himself is now played but someone who doesn't really project the menace or uncomfortable weirdness that Roth did. They cast a hot girl with no comic timing as the strange deputy who wants to party all the time. And worst of all, the gave a normal looking kid a bunny mask to play the out of left field Dennis. The casting of Dennis in the first one is perfection because that kid looked like he would bite anyone's hands off and with that haircut...woah. And the funny shopkeeper is just cast as a normal dude.

Anyway, they took everything about what was unique and special about the original and removed it. Just strange decision making all around on it.
Old 10-08-16, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks to hurricane Matthew I just lost power, on battery backup for a few minutes...

But more importantly I haven't watched Motel Hell yet!
Old 10-08-16, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

I freakin' love the weird fairytale 80s metal soundtrack start to Deadtime Stories 1986! Who knew the three little pig could be so compelling

Last edited by ViewAskewbian; 10-08-16 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-08-16, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Don't Go in the Woods (1981) was awful. There's almost no story. It's just one scene after another of some crazy mountainman killing random hikers for no reason. And none if it makes sense. At one point, there's a guy in a wheelchair rolling up the side of the mountain. A complete waste of time.
This just makes me want to see it more.
Old 10-08-16, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

I was tempted to rent The Shallows for today's theme, but I balked at the steep rental price, since I currently have money on my debit card earmarked for a preordered video game that is due to be shipped out on Monday. Does anyone know if I missed anything by not renting it, or was it not worth it?
Old 10-08-16, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by pacaway
Surfinhank! Your list is amazing!!
I'll be curious if s/he can keep it up. That is a LOT of work but looks amazing. And it's right under mine, so people have to past me to get to his haha.

Originally Posted by lrend
I watched Holidays last night and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a fun anthology film. Even better than Trick 'R Treat and I really enjoyed that film too, even though some of the stories weren't the best. I can't recall disliking any of the stories in Holidays.
Really, you enjoyed Holidays more? Interesting. There were a couple I just could not get into from Holidays like Mother's Day and the awful Halloween one (damn you Kevin Smith).

Holidays, Scouts Guide to a Zombie Apocalypse, Zombeavers, Most Likely to Die. I enjoyed all of these movies and think they're worth checking out.
I'll have to check out Scouts Guide. What is Most Likely to Die about?
Old 10-08-16, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
The stench of Phantasm: Ravager will forever taint the series. Fans have been waiting since 1998 for a proper ending, and we get a film composed of what was originally going to be microbudget webisodes stitched together with lessthan SyFy quality CG, and without Don Coscarelli in the director's chair?! This is Angus Scrimm's swan song? We could have had Phantasm's End with Bruce Campbell for Christ's sake!

I remember not caring for Oblivion on the first viewing because it was no budget and comprised of deleted scenes from the original, but I've really come to appreciate it over the years. That won't be the case here. No resolution whatsoever. I honestly had to take a hiatus from here after watching.
Don didn't direct it? I was not aware of that.

Wow, sad to hear how bad it was.
Old 10-08-16, 07:35 PM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Really, you enjoyed Holidays more? Interesting. There were a couple I just could not get into from Holidays like Mother's Day and the awful Halloween one (damn you Kevin Smith).

The one I thought was strange on Holidays was the St. Patrick's Day one. It was interesting and strange at the same time.

Most Likely to Die is about a group of high school friends who get together for their 10 year reunion and of course a killer shows up. They get killed based on the monikers they were assigned in the yearbook (i.e. Most likely to get what she wants).
Old 10-08-16, 07:41 PM

I also found a 2014 Elvira Series on Hulu called 13 Nights of Elvira. It's worth checking out if you like her commentary. I find her quips make even the worst movies bearable.
Old 10-08-16, 08:40 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

i watched open water and liked it alot. I definitely was into the film and could put myself in couples place stranded at sea. definitely a nail biter film
Old 10-08-16, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My son and I watched Frankenstein (1931) and Aliens (1986) tonight. It was the first time viewing for him. Since the old classics are so short, I want him to at least see them so he knows where the modern horror movie came from. He said he thought Frankenstein was pretty good but I don;t know if that was lip service or not.

I, to be honest, am not a huge fan of the old monster movies but I appreciate them more than I enjoy them if that makes any sense.

Aliens, on the other hand, blew his mind. He loved every minute of it. Though he has played Mortal Kombat for the last two years, he still thinks of the Alien movies as fresh. We are going through all of them together this month.

One question about Frankenstein: how did the father of the drowned girl know that it was Frankenstein's monster that did it? He wasn't around and there was any evidence of FM doing it.
Old 10-08-16, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Killer Workout (Aerobicide) and Death Spa (Witch Bitch) made a fine pairing - like cheap wine and a hunk of government cheese.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HOW0zjAgS3Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

After all the praise its gotten in here I'll give The Mutilator a try next and maybe Black Magic Rites.
Old 10-08-16, 09:34 PM

killer workout is awesome
Old 10-08-16, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
One question about Frankenstein: how did the father of the drowned girl know that it was Frankenstein's monster that did it? He wasn't around and there was any evidence of FM doing it.
Plot hole. There's really no reason to assume anything other than her drowning from playing too near to water...
Old 10-08-16, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

Been a couple of off days. I got a couple things in before the concert last time, which ended up being 3 hours long (!). Once I got home, I was wide awake and finished off Stranger Things. I've been in a holding pattern today. I wanted to finish my online Turner Classics course on slapstick comedy before the Sunday deadline, and I actually went out into the sunlight this afternoon to do some walking.

It's late, but I'm finally getting to my first film, one that satisfies today's theme. A friend requested a rewatch of Island of Death. Not sure what we'll do next, but all the Mutilator talk is making me want to pull out the new Blu-ray I haven't watched yet. Maybe that will come up next, but I really need to start catching up on the subset films.
Old 10-08-16, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

I'm considering this a successful challenge so far this month, in the fact that I've felt creeped out more than once. I binge watched a few episodes of A Haunting tonight, and after I finished, I took my dogs out to go potty. While I was staring off into the dark as I was sitting on the porch, waiting for my last dog to finish her business and come back, I couldn't help but notice how creepy it felt outside.
Old 10-08-16, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts

Holidays, Scouts Guide to a Zombie Apocalypse, Zombeavers, Most Likely to Die. I enjoyed all of these movies and think they're worth checking out.
Aw man, got me excited that this might be netflix streamable.
Old 10-08-16, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Aw man, got me excited that this might be netflix streamable.
Sorry. I watched it on Amazon and I know they have it on Hulu too.
Old 10-09-16, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by Chad
Killer Workout (Aerobicide) and Death Spa (Witch Bitch) made a fine pairing - like cheap wine and a hunk of government cheese.

After all the praise its gotten in here I'll give The Mutilator a try next and maybe Black Magic Rites.
Loved Death Spa and really enjoyed Killer Workout! Wish KW had better materials available for a decent BD release, but oh well, at least there's Death Spa!

Also, when I saw Black Magic Rites, I wasn't too much of a fan at first. However, the movie really stuck with me, as well as the music, and it definitely grew on me. I'm planning to watch it again this month.

Originally Posted by numbercrunch
i didnt think much of house of the devil or sacrament either so maybe its just me and Ti West don't jive together!
I loved House of the Devil, but didn't care too much for The Innkeepers or The Sacrament. The Innkeepers was pretty strong until the end, but the build up just fell flat, which was disappointing.

For the optional "live event" part of the challenge, I went to visit the Winchester Mystery House, which is a supposedly possibly real haunted house where the owner kept building and adding to the house at the behest of spirits in the house, which caused some strange architectural work. It was really interesting, and was definitely cool to visit before the movie is released next year!
Old 10-09-16, 05:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by shadokitty
While I was staring off into the dark as I was sitting on the porch, waiting for my last dog to finish her business and come back, I couldn't help but notice how creepy it felt outside.
Nice. It won't feel creepy outside around here until it cools off some. It's still too damn hot for near the middle of October!

Originally Posted by cwileyy
For the optional "live event" part of the challenge, I went to visit the Winchester Mystery House, which is a supposedly possibly real haunted house where the owner kept building and adding to the house at the behest of spirits in the house, which caused some strange architectural work. It was really interesting, and was definitely cool to visit before the movie is released next year!
Awesome. The next time I come out that way, I definintely want to see that house. I have read about it a couple of times over the last few years and really want to see it. It sounds fascinating.
Old 10-09-16, 07:34 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007
The Final Girls was a really good movie. I watched it last year and have since bought the blu-ray. It's pokes fun at the genre, but in an original and respectful way. Truly a hidden gem.
Loved it as well. Waiting for a good sale, but I'll own it someday.
Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
I wonder how your disk went missing. You confirmed it was there when you bought it?
No, it was there at one point, I just misplaced it. Sometimes I'll take discs to work and might put a bunch in a binder or multi-disc case to make transport easier. I guess I just haven't re-filed that one yet.
Originally Posted by numbercrunch
ive had the same thing happen from a criterion no less. I wont make the mistake of not opening the package after it happened.
I rarely open my discs before I watch them, and have had pretty good luck so far. Scratches have never had a playing problem, and the only missing disc was replaced by the distributer even though it was years later. I did have a dollar store case turn up empty once, but that was my own fault for buying an unwrapped case without checking it.
Old 10-09-16, 07:43 AM

First viewing of the two Jeepers Creepers filmed. I really enjoyed both equally.
Old 10-09-16, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 219 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Nice. It won't feel creepy outside around here until it cools off some. It's still too damn hot for near the middle of October!
Aw, Spider, it was cool last night, and is delightfully autumn-like this morning. You're only 90 minutes from me, so we should be having very similar weather.

I only drink coffee when the weather cools off...and I'm heading for Starbucks right now.
Old 10-09-16, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

If ever you are looking for an 80's B movie that must be in the Record Book for make-up effects, I give you: Spookies.

Seriously, there's got to be a new creature (sometimes several of them) every 5 minutes, at least. It's like a cross between those old monster mash-ups Universal did, Gothic Hammer and a slasher.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.