Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chad
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only like the Welcome Package. Also remember that any preliminary codes are just that and BN could pull it, change the details or exclusions anything prior to release so always a bit of YMMV until the final release date

Mini FAQ
Coupons should not work for PREORDERS , Nook, Legos, Rosetta Stone, Digital, Gift Cards, Memberships, etc. There are glitches where sometimes an excluded item will be allowed but assume that is the exception to the rule
Free Shipping is $25 (before tax/shipping) or with membership.
Max 3 GC on a single online order.
Online only a single code can be applied to an order
Return period is 14 days after delivery (possibly 30 days for members though I've never tried)
Online ordered items can returned to a local store unless it's classified as a web-only item then it's at the store's discretion to accept
The long standing Free 60 day Trial Offer was discontinued in late May 2016

INSTORE CODES -- Click for printable
15% Off Single Item (A) Store Only Exp ??12/31/2017
15% Off Single Item (B) Store Only Exp ??12/31/2017

ONLINE CODES
20% Off Online Single Item
F7V8H7U exp Nov 1, 2016 2:59am ET

15% off One Item Online -- All Customers -- re-usable online. Unknown Expiration
9DAWJ1Z88Z134
NKMMWDZJXAE73
VP5ZZ6QN15VUU
UKTSTGZRDURTL
SLDJ4YKZSZKPA
SQ63RKJ3FTF48
N1BBG1DNGW6AF

5% Off Your Entire Purchase
BNINSURE05 June 20, 2016 at 12:01am to November 1, 2016 at 2:59am Eastern Time

$10 off $75 or more Purchase Online Only
BNOCT75 probably expires 10/15 2:59am ET.

Member Welcome Coupons EXPIRES October 24, 2016 2:59am ET
J9A3P8X $10 off $40+ "Home & Gift" Single Item EXP 10/24/2016
M3B4R7P $5 off $20+ Toy or Game Single Item EXP 10/24/2016
D9X8M7F $5 off $15+ Single Music CD/LP EXP 10/24/2016
H9H3R8P $5 off $50+ total Purchase EXP 10/24/2016
V3F3E9T $8 off $40+ single DVD/BD EXP 10/24/2016

Printable In-Store Member Only Coupons Expires end of business October 23, 2016
Free Latte with Cafe purchase exp 10/23/2016
In store $5 off $15 Single Music CD Exp 10/23/2016
In store $5 off $50 Transaction Exp 10/23/2016
In store $8 off $40 Single DVD/BD Exp 10/23/2016
Print Wikipost

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Old 10-08-16, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by numbercrunch
watched the new scream factory blu ray of texas chainsaw II. Looks great and loaded with special features. Now, on the Texas Chainsaw 3d!!
3D was trash. Wanted to walk out of the theater and ask for my money back. As you said, the characters you just hated and no development at all.

watched the Ti West 2011 film the innkeepers. i found it to be a run of the mill ghost story that took too long to get going. Seems to me that some of younger directors have no feel for building suspense beyond jump scares
I think he is really overrated. That ghost was also awful.
Old 10-08-16, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Mosquito (1995)

Gary Jones' low budget sci-fi horror is the squirming, blood-sucking horror classic you didn't know you needed in your life. Taking heavy influence from genre staples such as Aliens, Night of the Living Dead, and the Thing, this is one campy flick that's sure to please as long as you know what you're in for. The film opens with a spacecraft crashing to Earth, suddenly giant mosquitos are attacking a small campground, and threatening to take over the world if our plucky group of heroes can't stop them first.

Look, you're either in the mood for a movie about giant mosquitos or not. This film wears its love for the genre on its sleeve, with some pretty entertaining set pieces that remind us of our favorite horror/thriller films. Gunnar Hansen(yes, the original Leatherface) plays a backwoods criminal skirting the lines of good and evil as our protagonists tear ass through the woods in a shoddy RV as mutant skeeters pound at the windows. This movie has one of the most ineffectual boyfriends in horror history. He spends the entire movie avoiding responsibility and putting his girlfriend in danger, it's just damn impressive.

Phantasm (1979)

Don Coscarelli's living nightmare spawned several sequels and a complete remaster headed by JJ Abrams. Not many horror films garner this type of love and attention decades after the fact, but Phantasm is worthy another look. It's about two brothers that sense something suspicious is going on at the local mortuary. Close friends are dying in mysterious circumstances, and the tall, lanky funeral director is constantly lurking and lumbering through the sterile halls.

This is a film that sticks with you long after you've seen it because of its creepy atmosphere, haunting soundtrack, and dream-like narrative. Every scene feels like part of a bad dream, rather than a story unfolding in a movie. There are times where the audience can't separate reality from a horrific vision. Dwarves in brown robes reach out from the ground to claw at ankles, unholy spheres fly through the air, blades protruding and looking for a forehead to sink into. This movie has some unforgettable images, and maintains such a mysterious atmosphere that you can't help but hope there is a sequel afer witnessing the terrifying finale.
Old 10-08-16, 04:57 AM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
I'm trapped in the 80's!!! Annnnd I kinda' like it.
I think I'm going to try to do the bulk of this year in one decade as a change from other years and this one seems ripe for the picking!
I just watched a couple 80's slashers on Shudder.

The Mutilator (1985) was awesome. I don't know how I missed it all these years. If you like cheesy 80's slashers, you'll love this one.

Don't Go in the Woods (1981) was awful. There's almost no story. It's just one scene after another of some crazy mountainman killing random hikers for no reason. And none if it makes sense. At one point, there's a guy in a wheelchair rolling up the side of the mountain. A complete waste of time.
Old 10-08-16, 06:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wishbone
And scores of extra days too!
Need to stop updating when I'm tired :P
Old 10-08-16, 06:14 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

i used to live in birmingham spiderbite. i was CFO at eastern health system
I used to live there too! I was in kindergarten and thought the devil lived in the sewers near my house.
Old 10-08-16, 06:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Don't Go in the Woods (1981) was awful. There's almost no story. It's just one scene after another of some crazy mountainman killing random hikers for no reason. And none if it makes sense. At one point, there's a guy in a wheelchair rolling up the side of the mountain. A complete waste of time.
If I recall correctly, the mountain man is a cannibal. I'm with you 100% on everything else about the movie, though.
Old 10-08-16, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I just watched a couple 80's slashers on Shudder.

The Mutilator (1985) was awesome. I don't know how I missed it all these years. If you like cheesy 80's slashers, you'll love this one.

Yeah, the mountain man ramblings were taken right out of a bad pirate impression. I kept expecting him to go "Yarrrrr, matey!"

Though the film was almost worth it for the beartrap kill and the stupid sheriff.
Old 10-08-16, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Going into work as a therapist may not have been my best choice as far as horror movies goes.
But you're uniquely qualified to help us all recover from the month.
Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Without Warning (1980)
I really wanted to finally watch my Scream Factory BD too, but it was curiously missing from the case. It'll turn up in November probably....
Originally Posted by jacob_b
Anyone watch Holidays on Netflix?
It's in my queue waiting for an appropriate theme day.
Old 10-08-16, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Surfinhank! Your list is amazing!!
Old 10-08-16, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by pacaway
It's awesome! How'd you do it surf?
Old 10-08-16, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I think I know who the winner of best list will be.
Old 10-08-16, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by pacaway
Yes indeed. Very creative way to go about it. I wish I had photoshop skills.
Old 10-08-16, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I think he is really overrated. That ghost was also awful.
I'm also in the Ti West is overrated camp. Nice to see others here.
Old 10-08-16, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,066 Likes on 646 Posts

i used to live in birmingham spiderbite. i was CFO at eastern health system
I was born in New Orleans. We keep missing each other.

Originally Posted by Trevor
I used to live there too! I was in kindergarten and thought the devil lived in the sewers near my house.
He still lives here but he calls the state government his home now.

Watched the remake of Cabin Fever (2016) and it is horrid. I am not embarrassed and will say I loved the original. It doesn't take itself seriously, it is well cast, and it holds your attention throughout. The remake is the exact opposite. It takes itself too seriously, everyone is completely miscast, and the movie gets duller by the minute. The only new thing that was brought to it was a little more gore on the deaths. But the deaths are exactly the same. All the characters are the same with the exact same lines (except the change the sex of the cop which is a puzzling decision). This may be an even worse remake than Psycho and that is saying a lot.

The Vampire Bat (1933) was just so-so. Nothing special from that time and it doesn't stand out today. The Old Dark House with similar atmosphere is much, much better. Actually read that the same set was used for both movies.

The Final Girls (2015) may actually give Green Room a run for its money as the best new movie I have watched for the challenge. It was fantastic. And I went in expecting to hate it. I hate the title name, hated the trailer, hated that it was PG-13, and on and on. I went in actually wanting to hate it. How was I to know I would find a (choke) touching movie sending up 80's slashers with some of the best humor since Scream? I will always admit when I was wrong on I will say that I was very wrong about this film. If you are on the fence, give it a shot. I was glad I did.

Motel Hell (1980) is just straight up bizarre. I will discuss it more in the review thread but it is a fun (and funny) movie with some downright wicked violence. It kinda reminded me of a precursor to The Human Centipede in several ways...and this is 1980!
Old 10-08-16, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Watched the remake of Cabin Fever (2016) and it is horrid. I am not embarrassed and will say I loved the original. It doesn't take itself seriously, it is well cast, and it holds your attention throughout. The remake is the exact opposite. It takes itself too seriously, everyone is completely miscast, and the movie gets duller by the minute. The only new thing that was brought to it was a little more gore on the deaths. But the deaths are exactly the same. All the characters are the same with the exact same lines (except the change the sex of the cop which is a puzzling decision). This may be an even worse remake than Psycho and that is saying a lot.
Wow. I had no idea they were even making this. I wasn't really a fan of the original, but I find it sad that we're remaking movies less than 15 years old. Thanks for saving me the time of watching this.

The Final Girls (2015) may actually give Green Room a run for its money as the best new movie I have watched for the challenge. It was fantastic. And I went in expecting to hate it. I hate the title name, hated the trailer, hated that it was PG-13, and on and on. I went in actually wanting to hate it. How was I to know I would find a (choke) touching movie sending up 80's slashers with some of the best humor since Scream? I will always admit when I was wrong on I will say that I was very wrong about this film. If you are on the fence, give it a shot. I was glad I did.
The Final Girls was a really good movie. I watched it last year and have since bought the blu-ray. It's pokes fun at the genre, but in an original and respectful way. Truly a hidden gem.
Old 10-08-16, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

On Monday I'll have all 5 prizes for the challenge on hand and will forward a pic to Chad so he can update it. Nothing extravagant but hopefully they brighten the winners' day when they get them
Old 10-08-16, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I really wanted to finally watch my Scream Factory BD too, but it was curiously missing from the case. It'll turn up in November probably....
There are a few Scream Factory sales throughout the year and I like to blind buy a couple of 80s horror flicks to set aside for the challenge. I found Without Warning to be really entertaining, especially since I was only familiar with Graydon Clark from MST3k episodes.

I wonder how your disk went missing. You confirmed it was there when you bought it?
Old 10-08-16, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

I also loved the original Cabin Fever and am staying FAR away from the remake as I heard it is pretty much shot for shot. I do wonder if he took a ruler to the ass crack of the girl playing the part that Cerina Vincent did to get that one inch of ass.

I didn't hate Final Girls as I thought I would, but didn't love it either. Might need to give it a rewatch, though.

I need Netflix, YouTube, and Hulu suggestions on what to watch people
Old 10-08-16, 02:33 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe

I wonder how your disk went missing. You confirmed it was there when you bought it?

ive had the same thing happen from a criterion no less. I wont make the mistake of not opening the package after it happened.
Old 10-08-16, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

The stench of Phantasm: Ravager will forever taint the series. Fans have been waiting since 1998 for a proper ending, and we get a film composed of what was originally going to be microbudget webisodes stitched together with lessthan SyFy quality CG, and without Don Coscarelli in the director's chair?! This is Angus Scrimm's swan song? We could have had Phantasm's End with Bruce Campbell for Christ's sake!

I remember not caring for Oblivion on the first viewing because it was no budget and comprised of deleted scenes from the original, but I've really come to appreciate it over the years. That won't be the case here. No resolution whatsoever. I honestly had to take a hiatus from here after watching.
Old 10-08-16, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Just FYI, you can get the slimmed down edition for around $100 shipped from Amazon UK right now. It is limited as well but I think to 1500 or 2500.

All you are missing is the book and the other superfluous stuff but the money savings appears to be worth it.
Didn't realize that one was limited too. $150 savings I can live with.

While on the subject, Arrow just announced Hellraiser: The Scarlet Box is coming stateside in December. If you're a fan of the first three it's a must have.

I had the exact same reaction minus the Green Room part. Malin Akerman makes that movie.

Originally Posted by SethDLH
On Monday I'll have all 5 prizes for the challenge on hand and will forward a pic to Chad so he can update it. Nothing extravagant but hopefully they brighten the winners' day when they get them
Sounds good.
Old 10-08-16, 03:46 PM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

I was wondering if this was good. The trailer looked like it might be an interesting film. Now I may actually take the time to check it out.

I watched Holidays last night and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a fun anthology film. Even better than Trick 'R Treat and I really enjoyed that film too, even though some of the stories weren't the best. I can't recall disliking any of the stories in Holidays.
Old 10-08-16, 03:50 PM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

ive had the same thing happen from a criterion no less. I wont make the mistake of not opening the package after it happened.
I never open my stuff until I am about to watch it in case I go broke and need to sell things, but fortunately this sort of thing has only happened to be twice. Once, it was a Criterion where there was no disc at all. Fortunately, when I sent an email to mulvaney they promptly sent me a replacement disc which I thought was quite nice since I had bought it a year earlier or something. The other time it was a multi-disc anime series where there were 3 discs and 2 of them were disc 2 and no disc1 was present. In that case, I was out of luck, but was able to buy a disc 1 for like $5 shipped on the secondary market since this was from back in the singles era.
Old 10-08-16, 03:51 PM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

I need Netflix, YouTube, and Hulu suggestions on what to watch people
Holidays, Scouts Guide to a Zombie Apocalypse, Zombeavers, Most Likely to Die. I enjoyed all of these movies and think they're worth checking out.
Old 10-08-16, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

For today's theme movie, I went with a movie that I hadn't seen in years. I brought out my favorite Spielberg movie of all time, Duel.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.