Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chad
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only like the Welcome Package. Also remember that any preliminary codes are just that and BN could pull it, change the details or exclusions anything prior to release so always a bit of YMMV until the final release date

Mini FAQ
Coupons should not work for PREORDERS , Nook, Legos, Rosetta Stone, Digital, Gift Cards, Memberships, etc. There are glitches where sometimes an excluded item will be allowed but assume that is the exception to the rule
Free Shipping is $25 (before tax/shipping) or with membership.
Max 3 GC on a single online order.
Online only a single code can be applied to an order
Return period is 14 days after delivery (possibly 30 days for members though I've never tried)
Online ordered items can returned to a local store unless it's classified as a web-only item then it's at the store's discretion to accept
The long standing Free 60 day Trial Offer was discontinued in late May 2016

INSTORE CODES -- Click for printable
15% Off Single Item (A) Store Only Exp ??12/31/2017
15% Off Single Item (B) Store Only Exp ??12/31/2017


ONLINE CODES
20% Off Online Single Item
F7V8H7U exp Nov 1, 2016 2:59am ET


15% off One Item Online -- All Customers -- re-usable online. Unknown Expiration
9DAWJ1Z88Z134
NKMMWDZJXAE73
VP5ZZ6QN15VUU
UKTSTGZRDURTL
SLDJ4YKZSZKPA
SQ63RKJ3FTF48
N1BBG1DNGW6AF

5% Off Your Entire Purchase
BNINSURE05 June 20, 2016 at 12:01am to November 1, 2016 at 2:59am Eastern Time

$10 off $75 or more Purchase Online Only
BNOCT75 probably expires 10/15 2:59am ET.


Member Welcome Coupons EXPIRES October 24, 2016 2:59am ET
J9A3P8X $10 off $40+ "Home & Gift" Single Item EXP 10/24/2016
M3B4R7P $5 off $20+ Toy or Game Single Item EXP 10/24/2016
D9X8M7F $5 off $15+ Single Music CD/LP EXP 10/24/2016
H9H3R8P $5 off $50+ total Purchase EXP 10/24/2016
V3F3E9T $8 off $40+ single DVD/BD EXP 10/24/2016

Printable In-Store Member Only Coupons Expires end of business October 23, 2016
Free Latte with Cafe purchase exp 10/23/2016
In store $5 off $15 Single Music CD Exp 10/23/2016
In store $5 off $50 Transaction Exp 10/23/2016
In store $8 off $40 Single DVD/BD Exp 10/23/2016
Print Wikipost

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Old 10-22-16, 02:58 PM
  #801  
DVD Talk Legend
 
DaveyJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 19,344
Received 189 Likes on 132 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by arw6040
Yes you are right I just typed it as a quick response lol but for those who haven't seen it and plan to should go into it knowing that so thanks for addressing that.
I actually liked it a lot. The original had some gritty charm, but it the narration and awkward comedic relief kind of hurt it. The new one is much more consistent in quality. I thought it was influenced by Scream with the whodunit nature of it, and the references to the original. The characters actually meet with the son of the director of the original movie to get to the bottom of the mystery. Pretty interesting approach to a sequel.
Old 10-22-16, 03:22 PM
  #802  
Senior Member
 
numbercrunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: new orleans
Posts: 836
Likes: 0
Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Watching Curse of the Werewolf makes me realize just what a damn fine actor Oliver Reed is and what a shame Hammer didnt turn the Wolfman into a series like Dracula, Frankenstein and the Mummy. I wonder why ?
Old 10-22-16, 03:30 PM
  #803  
DVD Talk Legend
 
DaveyJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 19,344
Received 189 Likes on 132 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

I think it's time to launch a new werewolf series that is relevant to modern socioeconomic themes.

Old 10-22-16, 03:40 PM
  #804  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,765
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
I thought skipping the checklist would make my numbers go up higher, but nope, I'm pretty much where I've been for the past few years!!! I usually finish around 155. I'm making a goal of 170 this year.
Just curious, why would you think skipping the checklist would make your numbers go higher? Would it just make watching movies easier without having limitations?

Originally Posted by nondiatonic
I had FAR too much to drink before writing this "review", and it apparently made me very abrasive. I don't know why I took the acclaim this movie has gained personally.

My reasoning behind disliking the movie was that it seemed to be a love letter to past horror movies and the general themes of Halloween, but it lacked any substance of it's own. It just seemed like a series of vignettes being pitched back and forth amongst a group of stoners. In particular, the "Surprise Party" and the "Meet Sam" segments had shallow plots that the viewer was supposed to overlook simply because the movie was made to be fun. Unfortunately, I couldn't buy into that concept.

I obviously disliked the film, but I was unfairly vicious in my alcohol fueled review. I respect everyone who enjoys the film, and I respect everyones varying tastes. I can also understand the following the movie has gained given the themes. I guess the Halloween spirit in me took the form of a prick last night.

That makes sense. There is some charm in the characters, but I could see how some of the stories fall flat without much meaning. And it's easily something that could be pitched while high.

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Blood Punch is a fun horror comedy with a far out premise (think Groundhog Day with more death), I liked it a lot more than I expected and it fits today's theme.
In my opinion Saw 1 seems like a clever idea that doesn't stand up as well on multiple viewings because much of the suspense depends on twists. It's saved mostly by editing tricks, it's a plot with so many villains and concurrent stories but everything leads back to the 'men trapped in rooms' premise. Some of the setup stretches what is plausible and, more so in the next sequel, the traps just seem to be played for base shock value over emphasized to the point that they fail to make up for narrative shortcomings.
Good point about Saw. It's why a lot of horror films, to me, I can't watch over and over again because it is supposed to be about suspense and twists and turns. At least with a drama film that has twists, the acting can set it apart. With horror, there isn't a lot of amazing actors and actresses compared to some other genres.

Originally Posted by brainee
I had never seen Sleepaway Camps II and III and I noticed they are streaming on Amazon Prime. I'm a little confused about the different versions. Looking on imdb, it sounds like these movies hacked terribly for their initial release in the 80's to get an R rating (the MPAA's crushing strictness from mid 80s to mid 90s really hurt the horror genre). The imdb notes say that most of the cuts were restored for DVD/Blu Ray. But on Amazon, the rating is listed as "R" (though it's certainly possible they were resubmitted for an "R" rating, which now allows for much more than it did 25-30 years ago).

Do any of you know if what's showing on Amazon Prime is the complete current home video version.
Having watched the streaming on Hulu, not sure which version I got, but what I did see was a LOT of T&A and blood. Be surprised if they cut a lot out of that edition.
Old 10-22-16, 04:03 PM
  #805  
Senior Member
 
arw6040's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 301
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
I actually liked it a lot. The original had some gritty charm, but it the narration and awkward comedic relief kind of hurt it. The new one is much more consistent in quality. I thought it was influenced by Scream with the whodunit nature of it, and the references to the original. The characters actually meet with the son of the director of the original movie to get to the bottom of the mystery. Pretty interesting approach to a sequel.
Ahh I see for me the characters weren't compelling in any way for me to care (I have enjoyed slashers that don't have the greatest characters as they aren't known for that anyways but here I just got bored) but glad you got enjoyment out of it.
Old 10-22-16, 04:17 PM
  #806  
Senior Member
 
numbercrunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: new orleans
Posts: 836
Likes: 0
Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

watched the new blu ray of IT (stephen king). the movie is entertaining enough but not enough meat to the story to support a 3 hour run time.
Old 10-22-16, 04:17 PM
  #807  
DVD Talk Legend
 
DaveyJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 19,344
Received 189 Likes on 132 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by arw6040
Ahh I see for me the characters weren't compelling in any way for me to care (I have enjoyed slashers that don't have the greatest characters as they aren't known for that anyways but here I just got bored) but glad you got enjoyment out of it.
Old 10-22-16, 04:21 PM
  #808  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Chad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Posts: 12,259
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by exharrison
Trying to look at my remaining checklist items. What are we doing for the 100th birthday of Forrest J Ackerman?
He's on there. If not, you have the slightly less challenging incomplete version that's excluding these:

Spoiler:
Select 1 from the "Chronological Horror Years Faceoff":
--- 1941 (75th) -
--- 1966 (50th) -
--- 1991 (25th)

Select 2 from the following anniversaries:
--- 10th Anniversary of TCM Underground
--- 50th Anniversary of Dark Shadows
--- 90th Birthday of Roger Corman -
--- 100th Birthday of Forrest J Ackerman -


EDIT: It's films that graced the cover of Famous Monsters of Filmland. And that's unfortunately the best link that could be found.

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
Just wrote up this little review of the history of Canadian Horror here for a magazine I work for. Thought this would be a good place to share:

http://bit.ly/2eaDGRW
Thanks for sharing. I recently picked up The Mask Blu-ray, and still have a few of those I need to catch. Canada is longer overdue for a theme nights return.

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
And Sleepaway Camp III is the Rated-R version.
The MPAA really did a number with this one. Some fun gore scenes that were cut for the usual inexplicable reasons. Too bad they couldn't reincorporate them back in, but the old DVD and new SF release have it all in the deleted scenes and workprint cut.

Last edited by Chad; 10-22-16 at 04:34 PM.
Old 10-22-16, 04:38 PM
  #809  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Chad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Posts: 12,259
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Hex was batshit crazy, but not the usual batshit crazy you come to expect from Shaw Bros. And the ending was a bit of a letdown. Still, best exorcism scene ever!
Old 10-22-16, 05:04 PM
  #810  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lost Highway
Posts: 1,125
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Watched Criterion's BD of I Married a Witch for the first time, and it was quite captivating. Part of the film's description from the Criterion website:

"Many centuries after cursing the male descendants of the Salem puritan who sent her to the stake, this blonde bombshell with a broomstick finds herself drawn to one of them..."

But even with this movie fitting the theme 100%, and with witchcraft and probably the biggest exorcism book I've seen, it really can't be classified as a horror film (IMDb says Comedy, Fantasy). I struggle with films like this because I think I should use a wildcard for it, but then it does fit today's theme perfectly. And definitely has moments of horror that outmatch other horror "comedies" of the past.

Excellent movie by the way, no matter how I count it.
Old 10-22-16, 06:33 PM
  #811  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,765
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by numbercrunch
watched the new blu ray of IT (stephen king). the movie is entertaining enough but not enough meat to the story to support a 3 hour run time.
And surprising, at least on the DVD, of no bonus features if I remember correctly. Is that changed on the blu-ray?

Originally Posted by Chad
Hex was batshit crazy, but not the usual batshit crazy you come to expect from Shaw Bros. And the ending was a bit of a letdown. Still, best exorcism scene ever!
Where can I watch this?
Old 10-22-16, 07:14 PM
  #812  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Chad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Posts: 12,259
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
Excellent movie by the way, no matter how I count it.
Everything but that brief scene of Veronica Lake singing.

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Where can I watch this?
Don't think it's streaming anywhere. I have the 88 Films Region B Blu-ray. They do have Black Magic on YouTube from their Shaw Brothers Universe site for $1.99, which is a buck cheaper than Amazon.
Old 10-22-16, 07:16 PM
  #813  
Senior Member
 
numbercrunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: new orleans
Posts: 836
Likes: 0
Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by jacob_b
And surprising, at least on the DVD, of no bonus features if I remember correctly. Is that changed on the blu-ray?
i unfortunately have both the old dvd and the blu ray. only special feature is the audio commentary - same for both
Old 10-22-16, 07:34 PM
  #814  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 36,891
Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

So I took a gamble and subscribed to HorrorPack for a month. It's one of those monthly subscription boxes, four horror blurays for $20. Given my extensive horror library, I wasn't expecting much, but was hoping they would do something special for October.

I'm pretty happy overall, two duds and two pretty cool items, hopefully. The duds, only because I own them or better versions already, were the barebones Midnight Madness edition of Children of the Corn, and the BD/DVD/digital multipack of Purge.

Then I got what appears to be a limited release Indy called Dolly Deadly. The case is signed by the director.
https://www.amazon.com/Dolly-Deadly-...s=Dolly+deadly

And then a HorrorPack exclusive (different cover art ?) of Late Night Double Feature, which I think is also a month and a half before general release, at least according to Amazon. This looks perfect for anthology theme day.
https://www.amazon.com/Late-Night-Do...double+feature
Old 10-22-16, 07:47 PM
  #815  
Senior Member
 
malazar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 590
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

I received my Prize Pack today which is great timing since one of the movies is the subset pick for tomorrow. Thanks again Golden Wheels!

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
But even with this movie fitting the theme 100%, and with witchcraft and probably the biggest exorcism book I've seen, it really can't be classified as a horror film (IMDb says Comedy, Fantasy). I struggle with films like this because I think I should use a wildcard for it, but then it does fit today's theme perfectly. And definitely has moments of horror that outmatch other horror "comedies" of the past.
I watched that a few years ago during the Horror Challenge and struggled with whether or not to count it, but ultimately I did because of the general themes and how people count Halloween episodes of non-horror shows.

Last edited by malazar; 10-22-16 at 07:53 PM.
Old 10-22-16, 08:41 PM
  #816  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,388
Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

I hope tonight's horror marathon doesn't get called on account of weather. We have almost gale force winds tonight and I half expect us to lose power.
Old 10-22-16, 09:11 PM
  #817  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
coyoteblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,699
Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by Chad
Hex was batshit crazy, but not the usual batshit crazy you come to expect from Shaw Bros. And the ending was a bit of a letdown. Still, best exorcism scene ever!
Yes, unfortunately quite a few of Shaws "supernatural" horror/comedy horror films went for the cop out ending. There are exceptions, though, like Black Magic (1975), Black Magic 2 (1976), Boxer's Omen (1983), Seeding of a Ghost (1983), or Bewitched (1981).

Now if you're looking for some non-Shaw horror in a similar vein, you can look up The Seventh Curse (1986) or Devil Fetus (1983) and for something lighter Haunted Cop Shop (1987).

Watched "The Seeds of Doom", the last of Philip Hinchcliffe's gothic-horror inspired Doctor Who serials, earlier this evening. Interesting structure, in that the first two episodes are heavily influenced by The Thing From Another World (1951) while the other four episodes veer off in other directions. There's plenty of body horror and gruesome deaths. Also got in the newest MST3K box so I plugged in The Horror of Party Beach (1964). A nice all-around teen exploitation drive-in fodder, practically a text book example. The riffing didn't hurt, though. Going to try to catch The Curse of the Living Corpse (1964), by the same director.
Old 10-22-16, 09:44 PM
  #818  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 4,688
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by shadokitty
For today's theme movie, I went with Howling III: The Marsupials. I admit it is not nearly as good as the first The Howling, but it could be because I love werewolf films anyways. But I found it to be quite an enjoyable movie.

It's a fun entertaining movie and well done for what it is. The sense of humor and offbeat nature of it helps a lot I think. It's easily the best sequel in my opinion(part 5, the one in the castle is also pretty good from what I recall, but I haven't seen it since the 90's on TV).

I'm not even at 10 films yet this month. So I'm falling behind, since work and life in general is hogging up all my time. I'm off for the next two days, so I'll try to get some viewings in.
Old 10-22-16, 10:01 PM
  #819  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,292
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
Watched Criterion's BD of I Married a Witch for the first time, and it was quite captivating. Part of the film's description from the Criterion website:

"Many centuries after cursing the male descendants of the Salem puritan who sent her to the stake, this blonde bombshell with a broomstick finds herself drawn to one of them..."

But even with this movie fitting the theme 100%, and with witchcraft and probably the biggest exorcism book I've seen, it really can't be classified as a horror film (IMDb says Comedy, Fantasy). I struggle with films like this because I think I should use a wildcard for it, but then it does fit today's theme perfectly. And definitely has moments of horror that outmatch other horror "comedies" of the past.

Excellent movie by the way, no matter how I count it.
It's got witches so it counts. It's a comedy with a supernatural theme, just like Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein.
Old 10-22-16, 10:19 PM
  #820  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,413
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by Chad

EDIT: It's films that graced the cover of Famous Monsters of Filmland. And that's unfortunately the best link that could be found.
That is exactly what I was trying to ask in my own ineffectual manner. Thanks, Chad. Now that I understand the link in context of the checklist, I'll give it a looksee. Thanks!
Old 10-22-16, 11:03 PM
  #821  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lost Highway
Posts: 1,125
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Thank you to those that offered opinion on I Married a Witch. Good points made.
Old 10-22-16, 11:06 PM
  #822  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
WillieMLF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Not Every Man Really Lives
Posts: 1,282
Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Taking a break from Extraterrestrial 2014 to say that I'm rooting for the aliens all the way.
Old 10-22-16, 11:41 PM
  #823  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
clckworang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The toe nail of Texas
Posts: 9,557
Received 762 Likes on 493 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by Trevor
So I took a gamble and subscribed to HorrorPack for a month. It's one of those monthly subscription boxes, four horror blurays for $20. Given my extensive horror library, I wasn't expecting much, but was hoping they would do something special for October.

I'm pretty happy overall, two duds and two pretty cool items, hopefully. The duds, only because I own them or better versions already, were the barebones Midnight Madness edition of Children of the Corn, and the BD/DVD/digital multipack of Purge.

Then I got what appears to be a limited release Indy called Dolly Deadly. The case is signed by the director.
https://www.amazon.com/Dolly-Deadly-...s=Dolly+deadly

And then a HorrorPack exclusive (different cover art ?) of Late Night Double Feature, which I think is also a month and a half before general release, at least according to Amazon. This looks perfect for anthology theme day.
https://www.amazon.com/Late-Night-Do...double+feature
I've been subscribed for a few months now. I have received a few repeats, not many. I'm actually surprised I haven't received more. I like the opportunity to see some off the beaten path titles as well.

I actually watched Dolly Deadly last night. It's not great, but it has its moments as far as practical effects go. There are some nice ideas in it, but it's obviously very low budget. I thought the lead boy was actually pretty good, but the other child actors were really rough. I've had much worse viewing experiences during past challenges.

I haven't watched the Late Night Double Feature one. I also got another signed disc in a previous month, one called Gut, and a couple other "exclusives." I have them pulled but haven't watched any of them yet. I hope to start branching out a bit more in the homestretch once I complete the checklist and daily subset. Oh so close on that checklist.

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
Thank you to those that offered opinion on I Married a Witch. Good points made.
I went back and checked. I watched it in the 2012 challenge and didn't use a wild card. It has been a few years, but I could swear that it had a horror tag back when I watched it. There's obviously not one now. Maybe the DirecTV guide had it listed that way. I think this was before the Blu-ray release; I watched it from a Turner Classics recording on the DVR. Definitely count it. If you feel the need, use a wild card, but I don't think you need to.
Old 10-23-16, 12:45 AM
  #824  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lost Highway
Posts: 1,125
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by clckworang
I went back and checked. I watched it in the 2012 challenge and didn't use a wild card. It has been a few years, but I could swear that it had a horror tag back when I watched it. There's obviously not one now. Maybe the DirecTV guide had it listed that way. I think this was before the Blu-ray release; I watched it from a Turner Classics recording on the DVR. Definitely count it. If you feel the need, use a wild card, but I don't think you need to.


I suddenly feel like I'm the only one who hadn't seen this movie...! I had bought it on a "whim" with the last Criterion sale. I subscribe to TCM's monthly magazine/guide and I seem to hoard old films like Martin Scorsese (well not like that at all, first name that came to mind). This one seems to have slipped by me. Anyway, I'm in the know now!
Old 10-23-16, 01:19 AM
  #825  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
clckworang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The toe nail of Texas
Posts: 9,557
Received 762 Likes on 493 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

It looks like I'm two movies away from completing the minimum requirements for the checklist. I'm happy I haven't allowed myself to lose sight of it too much over the month. I suppose it helps that some of our subset films and many of my recent purchases qualified for many of the people who are listed. One less thing for me to worry about. Despite it being late, I'm going to try to push through one last film before going to sleep. That way, I can pretty much guarantee finishing the checklist tomorrow.

As for daily subset films, I'm down to 10 to go. I'm placing an order now for a couple of the selections. I probably won't get them all watched until next weekend because of that, but I'm hoping to get in at least two more subset films tomorrow. That should put me in good shape.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.