Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chad
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only like the Welcome Package. Also remember that any preliminary codes are just that and BN could pull it, change the details or exclusions anything prior to release so always a bit of YMMV until the final release date

Mini FAQ
Coupons should not work for PREORDERS , Nook, Legos, Rosetta Stone, Digital, Gift Cards, Memberships, etc. There are glitches where sometimes an excluded item will be allowed but assume that is the exception to the rule
Free Shipping is $25 (before tax/shipping) or with membership.
Max 3 GC on a single online order.
Online only a single code can be applied to an order
Return period is 14 days after delivery (possibly 30 days for members though I've never tried)
Online ordered items can returned to a local store unless it's classified as a web-only item then it's at the store's discretion to accept
The long standing Free 60 day Trial Offer was discontinued in late May 2016

INSTORE CODES -- Click for printable
15% Off Single Item (A) Store Only Exp ??12/31/2017
15% Off Single Item (B) Store Only Exp ??12/31/2017

ONLINE CODES
20% Off Online Single Item
F7V8H7U exp Nov 1, 2016 2:59am ET

15% off One Item Online -- All Customers -- re-usable online. Unknown Expiration
9DAWJ1Z88Z134
NKMMWDZJXAE73
VP5ZZ6QN15VUU
UKTSTGZRDURTL
SLDJ4YKZSZKPA
SQ63RKJ3FTF48
N1BBG1DNGW6AF

5% Off Your Entire Purchase
BNINSURE05 June 20, 2016 at 12:01am to November 1, 2016 at 2:59am Eastern Time

$10 off $75 or more Purchase Online Only
BNOCT75 probably expires 10/15 2:59am ET.

Member Welcome Coupons EXPIRES October 24, 2016 2:59am ET
J9A3P8X $10 off $40+ "Home & Gift" Single Item EXP 10/24/2016
M3B4R7P $5 off $20+ Toy or Game Single Item EXP 10/24/2016
D9X8M7F $5 off $15+ Single Music CD/LP EXP 10/24/2016
H9H3R8P $5 off $50+ total Purchase EXP 10/24/2016
V3F3E9T $8 off $40+ single DVD/BD EXP 10/24/2016

Printable In-Store Member Only Coupons Expires end of business October 23, 2016
Free Latte with Cafe purchase exp 10/23/2016
In store $5 off $15 Single Music CD Exp 10/23/2016
In store $5 off $50 Transaction Exp 10/23/2016
In store $8 off $40 Single DVD/BD Exp 10/23/2016
Print Wikipost

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-16, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Entered! Thanks! I love their magazine. It and Horrorhound are my favorite horror magazines.
Same two for me as well. I'm not sure if Fangoria is ever coming back, but I enjoyed reading it on occasion. Have plenty of older back issues I saved.
Old 10-14-16, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
Same two for me as well. I'm not sure if Fangoria is ever coming back, but I enjoyed reading it on occasion. Have plenty of older back issues I saved.
Big Horrorhound fan here. Especially like their VHS retrospective articles. I do miss the hell out of Fangoria though. Fango has been a part of my life since I was a kid, and it sucks that they haven't had an issue on the stands for the better part of a year.
Old 10-14-16, 04:36 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

i got to catch an 11a showing of Shin Godzilla today. awesome. godzilla doesn't play in this one and the military responses looked the most modern and realistic of any godzilla film
Old 10-14-16, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Well, for the first time since 2012 (The time when I first got wireless access for my tv) I'm close to running out of movies to watch on my DVR. This is a result of breaking my tradition of saving ALL horror movie-viewing for October. As I should have expected, the Cinemax/Movie Channel/Showtime networks are playing the same movies I've already seen since Spring. All I've mostly got left for new viewings are netflix, youtube and a cheapie Echo Bridge dvd set. I've learned my lesson!
Old 10-14-16, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Any recommendations for TCM's Bowery Boys/East Side Kids horror/comedy marathon tonight/tomorrow? I suspect it might not be my cup of tea, but I'd be willing to give what's considered to be the best of them a shot.
Old 10-14-16, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Well, for the first time since 2012 (The time when I first got wireless access for my tv) I'm close to running out of movies to watch on my DVR. This is a result of breaking my tradition of saving ALL horror movie-viewing for October. As I should have expected, the Cinemax/Movie Channel/Showtime networks are playing the same movies I've already seen since Spring. All I've mostly got left for new viewings are netflix, youtube and a cheapie Echo Bridge dvd set. I've learned my lesson!
We dropped Cinemax to save money on our Dish bill, but still have HBO, The Movie Channel, Encore, Starz, and Epix. With all of these those, we didn't think we needed Cinemax.
Old 10-14-16, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shadokitty
We dropped Cinemax to save money on our Dish bill, but still have HBO, The Movie Channel, Encore, Starz, and Epix. With all of these those, we didn't think we needed Cinemax.
I have a pretty good promo going on with Dish, but I'll probably drop premiums. The only reason I'm in a higher tier is for FS2 in HD. The on demand for the premium channels is pretty awesome, though.

I've been struggling with keeping to theme nights lately. I don't mind it as it's forcing me to watch movies I've had forever and never watched. But it's getting tiring having to plan out movies the day before, as opposed to just grabbing whatever to watch.

I'm about half-way through with sticking to all theme days, so I feel like I can't give up now.
Old 10-14-16, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have a pretty good promo going on with Dish, but I'll probably drop premiums. The only reason I'm in a higher tier is for FS2 in HD. The on demand for the premium channels is pretty awesome, though.

I've been struggling with keeping to theme nights lately. I don't mind it as it's forcing me to watch movies I've had forever and never watched. But it's getting tiring having to plan out movies the day before, as opposed to just grabbing whatever to watch.

I'm about half-way through with sticking to all theme days, so I feel like I can't give up now.
I don't normally plan out my theme movies. I look the day of, then peruse the linked lists to find what I own that looks good to watch, but I just watch one movie for the theme myself.
Old 10-14-16, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by JOE29
Good, Thanks for the report. I'm really looking forward to viewing a few of these movies now. I picked it up at Best Buy for $22 ( plus shipping it would of been around the same price give or take). I would of bought The Wolfman also but it was out of stock.
I pulled out my original Legacy Collection DVD this evening to check a scene against the BR. Wow! The improvement is better than I'd recalled! The DVD looks good - but the BR looks almost pristine in comparison.

I was checking a scene where Ygor is leading the monster through a hidden passage. It has a couple frames missing so I was checking the DVD to see if it was the same. I couldn't do it... because it's a *new* scene! On the DVD, Wolf is talking to Baron Frankenstein and we cut to Ygor and the monster coming *out* of the passage. That new scene is short but a welcome addition. It comes on the BR at about 1:03:36. On the DVD, the scene of Ygor and the monster *exiting* the passage comes at about 1:03:00. 36 seconds *before* they enter the passage on the BR, which indicates there are other new scenes prior to that one.

I've not been able to locate a list of just what's been added and/or changed (I've read reports of different takes of some scenes) so I'm considering queueing both and doing a simultaneous playback to make my own list. I doubt it'll be this month as I don't want to give up that much time out of the challenge but I *do* want to do it.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 10-14-16 at 08:21 PM.
Old 10-14-16, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

Just finished with Odd Thomas. I've watched it at least once a year since its release. I don't really get tired of it. Odd is such an endearing character that it disappoints me the trouble getting this movie released.

Anton Yelchin's death insures that there will never be a proper sequel, so it's a little more final and, having read the books, feel like this could have carried on with the proper people working behind it. Sadly, I will miss Anton's work. He had some true talent.
Old 10-14-16, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Bloody Birthday (1981)

Bloody Birthday, the film that makes you want to murder children. Ten years ago, three children are born during a solar eclipse. They grow up as inseparable friends, but something is off about them, and as their 10th birthday approaches, they get increasingly violent and downright murderous. I suppose its a testament to the director and actors, but the evil children in this movie really make my skin crawl and my blood boil. I'm all ready pretty uncomfortable with kids, so when movies revolve around evil children, it really gets to me. And in this movie, it's not just that the kids are killing innocent people, but they are also so damn smug about it. So the movie was effective, but I was feeling pretty conflicted about wanted to throttle some kids in a movie.

Perhaps it was a different time, but it's kind of funny how freely some of the kids are allowed to wander around, even waving a gun that the adults assume is just a toy. The kids rampage is pretty cruel, targeting nasty teachers, strict parents, and even some of their friends. The kids just love killing people, and I'm not sure why they decided to escalate things on their 10th birthday, but astrology plays a pretty big part in the movie. I loved the ending, and especially loved a scene featuring Julie Brown dancing naked in front of a mirror. I remember her with red hair on MTV, but she looks even better with natural, curly, 80s hair. Anyway, the most important thing I learned from Bloody Birthday is that if I decide to become a serial killer, don't keep a scrapbook of my victims.
Old 10-14-16, 09:06 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

hate to appear dense but can someone explain what we are doing with this section?
Select 1 from the "Chronological Horror Years Faceoff":
--- 1941 (75th) -
--- 1966 (50th) -
--- 1991 (25th) –
Old 10-14-16, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
Big Horrorhound fan here. Especially like their VHS retrospective articles. I do miss the hell out of Fangoria though. Fango has been a part of my life since I was a kid, and it sucks that they haven't had an issue on the stands for the better part of a year.
My subscription lapsed and I didn't bother renewing for obvious reasons, but I've heard they've put out a couple of digital issues since. I think the death knell was firing Michael Gingold. Hope I'm wrong, because it's one of the few mags I read cover to cover. I have been getting into Rue Morgue lately though.

Originally Posted by numbercrunch
hate to appear dense but can someone explain what we are doing with this section?
Select 1 from the "Chronological Horror Years Faceoff":
--- 1941 (75th) -
--- 1966 (50th) -
--- 1991 (25th) –
It's an expanded version of the 1966 (Gold) Vs. 1991 (Silver) from the theme nights list. You just watch a film from one of the listed years of your choosing.
Old 10-14-16, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
I don't know. The last issue of Fangoria I read was the Wes Craven issue about a year ago and it was terrible. Terrible layout, terrible writing and just all around bad. I can see why it went away.

The best writing is in Rue Morgue. They also have very good layouts.

The best layouts are in Horrorhound but their writing can be a bit juvenile sometimes. As if you are reading someone who just got out of College Writing 101. But their subject matter and artwork is just fantastic. I love how they put all the pictures of toys, comics, books, etc. when doing retrospectives. And their VHS retrospectives are always good with great pix of all the box art.
Old 10-14-16, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
All I've mostly got left for new viewings are netflix, youtube and a cheapie Echo Bridge dvd set. I've learned my lesson!
Don't under-estimate youtube; there's plenty there, you just have to dig for it.
Old 10-15-16, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

For today's theme, I watched The Host, an eco-horror comedy from South Korea that both made me actually laugh and cry. Much of the political/military stuff was satirical, but there were some rather poignant moments in the film. Honestly, I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did, even though I'm a sucker for big monster flicks.

I also watched my new Severin DVD of Psychomania a horror biker film about British punks who find a way to become immortal after killing themselves. While hokey, it was also fun, and the enthusiasm of the special features made me appreciate it more.
Old 10-15-16, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tonight I got in a first time viewing of VERSUS on DVD. I watched the original uncut theatrical version, not the 'Ultimate' edition that was made years later. It's easily the goriest movie I've watched so far in the challenge, and was a really crazy movie. It's a little too long for what it is, but it wasn't boring overall.
Old 10-15-16, 01:17 AM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

I'm trying to figure out what to watch on Werewolf day on Sunday. The last good werewolf movies I've seen were Ginger Snaps (2000) and Dog Soldiers (2002). I wasn't too impressed by Cursed (2004), The Wolfman (2010) and Red Riding Hood (2011).

Are there any good ones that have come out in the past 5-10 years?
Old 10-15-16, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For today's theme movie, I looked on YouTube. The only Embassy movie I own is The Howling, and I watched that already this month. I thought the title, Galaxy Of Terror sounded interesting, and I wasn't disappointed. I love Roger Corman's work, and love sci-fi/horror, so the two of them added up to an entertaining picture.
Old 10-15-16, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I'm trying to figure out what to watch on Werewolf day on Sunday. The last good werewolf movies I've seen were Ginger Snaps (2000) and Dog Soldiers (2002). I wasn't too impressed by Cursed (2004), The Wolfman (2010) and Red Riding Hood (2011).

Older than you're asking for, but how about American Werewolf in London?

Also if you haven't seen the sequel to GS, Ginger Snaps 2: Unleashed, it is also quite good. It stars both girls again, mostly Emily Perkins though, and Tatiana Maslany, who just won the Emmy for her role(s) in TV's Orphan Black, who depicts a 12 year old girl who befriends Bridgette.

Originally Posted by shadokitty
For today's theme movie, I looked on YouTube. The only Embassy movie I own is The Howling, and I watched that already this month. I thought the title, Galaxy Of Terror sounded interesting, and I wasn't disappointed. I love Roger Corman's work, and love sci-fi/horror, so the two of them added up to an entertaining picture.
GoT is one of the few I have. It IS good, and
Spoiler:
of course has that famous rape scene.
, but I'm going with one that's been on my unwatched pile for over a decade, Empire of the Ants.
Old 10-15-16, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pacaway
...I'm going with one that's been on my unwatched pile for over a decade, Empire of the Ants.
IMHO you should leave it there. It's "bad" even for a Bert I. Gordon film. Had it been made in the 50s rather than the late 70s it could be forgiven its special effects, which are worse than those in Gordon's Beginning of the End - and that's saying a lot. In the right frame of mind it could be mildly entertaining but it's best viewed with a group of friends who enjoy "bad" films so you can discuss its "merits" during the viewing.
Old 10-15-16, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is there some reason you're limiting yourself to the past few years?

II'll second An American Werewolf in London and add to it The Wolf Man (1941), Fright Night (1985) - it's more a vampire film but *does* feature a werewolf, The Howling (1981), Wolf (1994), Night of the Werewolf (1981), and last, but not least, Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein which prominently features Lon Chaney, Jr. playing Larry Talbot, The Wolf Man.

**EDIT**
I've read some good things about Wer (2013) but haven't seen it to confirm.

I also just finished a first time viewing of The Beast Must Die (1974). It's a "OK" werewolf film but suffers from not knowing what it wants. When it starts I thought it was going to be a blaxploitation horror film along the lines of "The Most Dangerous Game," then a "7 Little Indians" film, but, while it borrows from both, it's neither. It also has a William Castle style gimmick, which doesn't work well and drags down the ending a bit. The score doesn't fit at all for the type film it turns out to be. It's a jazzy affair more suited to the blaxploitation cop/action films of that era. The best part of the film is that is costars Peter Cushing but he receives far too little screen time to rescue the film from mediocrity.

**EDIT 2**
Forget Fright Night as it *doesn't* feature a werewolf... see my reply to pacaway for details.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 10-15-16 at 11:46 AM.
Old 10-15-16, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
IMHO you should leave it there. It's "bad" even for a Bert I. Gordon film. Had it been made in the 50s rather than the late 70s it could be forgiven its special effects, which are worse than those in Gordon's Beginning of the End - and that's saying a lot. In the right frame of mind it could be mildly entertaining but it's best viewed with a group of friends who enjoy "bad" films so you can discuss its "merits" during the viewing.
The only other options I have are Galaxy of Terror, which I've watched recently, and Piranha II: The Spawning, which I've also watched a couple times already. Besides, as you can see from the fact that I've seen PII more than once and by looking at my Drive-In movie challenge lists, that I LIKE bad movies. So I'm going to have to watch EotA. Besides, maybe getting a movie off the 10+ year unwatched list will compensate! LOL

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Is there some reason you're limiting yourself to the past few years?

II'll second An American Werewolf in London and add to it The Wolf Man (1941), Fright Night (1985) - it's more a vampire film but *does* feature a werewolf, The Howling (1981), Wolf (1994), Night of the Werewolf (1981), and last, but not least, Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein which prominently features Lon Chaney, Jr. playing Larry Talbot, The Wolf Man.
Any of those are good choices, but I don't understand why so many people feel that Fright Night features a werewolf. I just watched it earlier this month and am sure that the only reason it seems that way is because
Spoiler:
one character dies while he's transformed himself into a wolf and therefore starts mutating while he's dying. I'm pretty sure he was still just a vampire
I could be wrong though.
Old 10-15-16, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looking at the second link, I see that I also have The Vampire Lovers, Invasion of the Bee Girls, The Stepford Wives, The People That Time Forgot (I think), Parasite, Swamp Thing and The Day After.

I've seen them all before but I could easily watch a couple of them again. I could definitely keep busy all day on this theme! I'm about 40 minutes into Empire of the Ants now and I'm kind of liking the cheesy special effects! But you're right Bob, it would be more fun to watch with others.
Old 10-15-16, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

It's not from the past ten years, but I enjoy Bad Moon (1996). It features the best dog character in the history of movies, IMO.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.