Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chad
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only like the Welcome Package. Also remember that any preliminary codes are just that and BN could pull it, change the details or exclusions anything prior to release so always a bit of YMMV until the final release date

Mini FAQ
Coupons should not work for PREORDERS , Nook, Legos, Rosetta Stone, Digital, Gift Cards, Memberships, etc. There are glitches where sometimes an excluded item will be allowed but assume that is the exception to the rule
Free Shipping is $25 (before tax/shipping) or with membership.
Max 3 GC on a single online order.
Online only a single code can be applied to an order
Return period is 14 days after delivery (possibly 30 days for members though I've never tried)
Online ordered items can returned to a local store unless it's classified as a web-only item then it's at the store's discretion to accept
The long standing Free 60 day Trial Offer was discontinued in late May 2016

INSTORE CODES -- Click for printable
15% Off Single Item (A) Store Only Exp ??12/31/2017
15% Off Single Item (B) Store Only Exp ??12/31/2017

ONLINE CODES
20% Off Online Single Item
F7V8H7U exp Nov 1, 2016 2:59am ET

15% off One Item Online -- All Customers -- re-usable online. Unknown Expiration
9DAWJ1Z88Z134
NKMMWDZJXAE73
VP5ZZ6QN15VUU
UKTSTGZRDURTL
SLDJ4YKZSZKPA
SQ63RKJ3FTF48
N1BBG1DNGW6AF

5% Off Your Entire Purchase
BNINSURE05 June 20, 2016 at 12:01am to November 1, 2016 at 2:59am Eastern Time

$10 off $75 or more Purchase Online Only
BNOCT75 probably expires 10/15 2:59am ET.

Member Welcome Coupons EXPIRES October 24, 2016 2:59am ET
J9A3P8X $10 off $40+ "Home & Gift" Single Item EXP 10/24/2016
M3B4R7P $5 off $20+ Toy or Game Single Item EXP 10/24/2016
D9X8M7F $5 off $15+ Single Music CD/LP EXP 10/24/2016
H9H3R8P $5 off $50+ total Purchase EXP 10/24/2016
V3F3E9T $8 off $40+ single DVD/BD EXP 10/24/2016

Printable In-Store Member Only Coupons Expires end of business October 23, 2016
Free Latte with Cafe purchase exp 10/23/2016
In store $5 off $15 Single Music CD Exp 10/23/2016
In store $5 off $50 Transaction Exp 10/23/2016
In store $8 off $40 Single DVD/BD Exp 10/23/2016
Print Wikipost

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Old 10-09-16, 08:35 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

^ That sounds fun!
Old 10-09-16, 09:00 AM

Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

I can give a second vote for Spookies, saw it earlier this year and even if it's perhaps not a "good movie", it is a lot of fun.
Old 10-09-16, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Torstein K View Post
I can give a second vote for Spookies, saw it earlier this year and even if it's perhaps not a "good movie", it is a lot of fun.
Exactly how I felt about those old Universal Mash-ups...not a great film, per say, but a damn fun journey.

If any of you watch it count the creatures. You may lose track!
Old 10-09-16, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Torstein K View Post
Thanks Torstein. Hey, do you have any Scandinavian horror films to recommend? I loved Troll Hunter and Let the Right One In.
Old 10-09-16, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post
The Final Girls (2015) may actually give Green Room a run for its money as the best new movie I have watched for the challenge. It was fantastic. And I went in expecting to hate it. I hate the title name, hated the trailer, hated that it was PG-13, and on and on. I went in actually wanting to hate it. How was I to know I would find a (choke) touching movie sending up 80's slashers with some of the best humor since Scream? I will always admit when I was wrong on I will say that I was very wrong about this film. If you are on the fence, give it a shot. I was glad I did.
Damn! I had this in my hand t HMV yesterday and then put it back!

One question about Frankenstein: how did the father of the drowned girl know that it was Frankenstein's monster that did it? He wasn't around and there was any evidence of FM doing it.
Originally Posted by ntnon View Post
Plot hole. There's really no reason to assume anything other than her drowning from playing too near to water...
Wow! This almost ranks up there with when Big Bang Theory ruined Raiders of the Lost Ark!
Old 10-09-16, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Thanks Torstein. Hey, do you have any Scandinavian horror films to recommend? I loved Troll Hunter and Let the Right One In.
Hmm... there isn't that many that I think are all that great to be honest, especially from my country. Sweden has a few though. One I haven't seen people mention very often is Evil Ed from 1995 or so. That's a fun one. Frostbitten from 2006 is an alright vampire movie.

If I have to mention some Norwegian ones then I do like Villmark (Dark Woods) from 2003. Thale from 2012 is a bit more on the fantasy side, I've read that people enjoy it even if I didn't care that much for it myself.

The usual suspects of Dead Snow 1 & 2 (zombie comedy) and the Cold Prey trilogy (slasher films set in our snowy mountains) are worth giving a go.
Old 10-09-16, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rbrown498 View Post
Aw, Spider, it was cool last night, and is delightfully autumn-like this morning. You're only 90 minutes from me, so we should be having very similar weather.

I only drink coffee when the weather cools off...and I'm heading for Starbucks right now.
So where are you at if you don't mind me asking? You can PM me if you don;t wan to post it.

And it has cooled off a little but is still too hot. I was at my kid's soccer game yesterday afternoon and while there was still a decent breeze every now and again, it still was around 87 degrees.

I mountain bike every Sunday morning and this morning was the first day I wore a very light windbreaker (though I start at 6am which is why it was cool enough). Just looked at the weather and it is supposed to be a high of 88 degrees again this coming weekend.

We always have an adult couples costume party around Halloween and I am hoping it will cool off more before that but it is not looking good.
Old 10-09-16, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quick Poster Recognition questions: If we guess at films and are wrong, do they negate the correct guesses? (i.e. Guess 19 and get five wrong... is that +14 and Correct, or +14 and -5, or...?) And if we can't pin down which franchise entry a specific image is from, should we simply guess the over-arching series, or is that too vague..?

Thanks!
Old 10-09-16, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So where are you at if you don't mind me asking? You can PM me if you don;t wan to post it.
PM sent, Spider--and I was wrong on the mileage count--I had it in my head that you were in Tuscaloosa. I'm actually about 150 miles from you.
Old 10-09-16, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Fun Size Horror (Hulu, maybe Amazon) is a fairly good collection of short films. Some are better than others, some more familiar or overdone, but there's a decent range offered implying something for everyone.

I watched Wizard of Gore right after Phantasm, and the second thing that struck me was how both played - with varying degrees of confusion/success - with notions of what was "real". Multiple 'wakings as if from dreams'...

The first thing that I noticed was just how bad the acting was from all the main actors...
Old 10-09-16, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

(The sub-RoboCop robots in Chopping Mall are REALLY bad shots.... don't people use laser pointers for increased accuracy? How can a computer-controlled rapid-fire laser gun be quite so off-target quite so often..?

Also, what was the point of Paul Bartel's bearded sarcastic character at the start? Did I miss him turning up again or was thay it?)
Old 10-09-16, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Man oh man..gotta love the soundtrack to KILLER WORKOUT!
Thanks for the tip on this one. Great morning watch before Thanksgiving with the family.
Old 10-09-16, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Second (third, fourth?) recommendation for The Final Girls Went in with pretty low expectations given the PG-13 and how other slasher sendups I've seen. I wasn't expecting it to have the emotional heft that it did. Particularly:
Spoiler:
that late scene with Malin Akerman and Taissa Farmiga, before Akerman goes off to face Billy stripping to "Bette Davis Eyes"

I've watched a couple of horror comedies on Netflix that I enjoyed. He Never Died has Henry Rollins as an immortal struggling to fight off his craving for human flesh. I loved Rollins' deadpan performance. Ava's Possessions did a much more entertaining job than Exorcist II of looking at what someone goes through after they're exorcised of their demon (which fortunately didn't involve lots of grasshoppers).
Old 10-09-16, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My son and I watched Frankenstein (1931) and Aliens (1986) tonight. It was the first time viewing for him. Since the old classics are so short, I want him to at least see them so he knows where the modern horror movie came from. He said he thought Frankenstein was pretty good but I don;t know if that was lip service or not.

I, to be honest, am not a huge fan of the old monster movies but I appreciate them more than I enjoy them if that makes any sense.

Aliens, on the other hand, blew his mind. He loved every minute of it. Though he has played Mortal Kombat for the last two years, he still thinks of the Alien movies as fresh. We are going through all of them together this month.
I began introducing my grandson, now 13, to the classic Universal horror films when he was ~9. He grew up looking at the busts of Dracula, Frankenstein, and The Wolf Man I'd gotten in a special set when the first Legacy Edition DVDs came out. He called them "those men" and always asked who they were and why I had them. Dracula is the only one he's not much cared for so far.
One question about Frankenstein: how did the father of the drowned girl know that it was Frankenstein's monster that did it? He wasn't around and there was any evidence of FM doing it.
Plot hole. There's really no reason to assume anything other than her drowning from playing too near to water...
Yep. Plot hole.

When Frankenstein was edited by the Hayes Office the last part of the scene with the monster and the little girl was excised. I'd watched it on a local TV station who had a full, unedited, copy which they aired regularly so the first time I saw this edited I was somewhat taken aback. Where was that scene? I *know* it's there! So... you'd have her father come up with her in his arms and you've never seen the monster throw her in the water! That scene has been controversial since its original release and was removed from the film by the Hayes Office in 1937 along with some dialog and a shortening of the scene in which Fritz torments the Monster with fire. Just how that TV station wound up with a unedited copy when the TV package contained the edited version is anyone's guess but I was the more fortunate for it! Their print also included Frankenstein's edited line: "It's alive! It's alive! In the name of God! Now I know what it feels like to be God!" which was missing from prints I later saw. Fortunately all those cuts have been restored for current copies.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 10-09-16 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10-09-16, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Today's theme got me confused but it looks like anything with non-normal human killers, surreal, or art house type stuff. I'm thinking The Birds should count.

Later tonight, I'm going to start watching a Psychotronica collection I bought from VCI years ago http://www.shockingimages.com/module...php?itemid=984

If anyone else picked it up, you own a pretty hard to find and expensive OOP set
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VFGQZC/
http://www.rakuten.com/prod/psychotr...206727519.html

Last edited by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi; 10-09-16 at 01:34 PM.
Old 10-09-16, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Has anybody seen The Hallow? I blind bought the Scream Factory release, and it sounds like a good fit for tonight's theme.
Old 10-09-16, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn

Originally Posted by cwileyy View Post
Loved Death Spa and really enjoyed Killer Workout! Wish KW had better materials available for a decent BD release, but oh well, at least there's Death Spa!
I only picked up the Slasher Video(?) Olive releases because they were cheap. Shock 'Em Dead was surprisingly good quality, but Killer Workout not so much.

Originally Posted by cwileyy View Post
Also, when I saw Black Magic Rites, I wasn't too much of a fan at first. However, the movie really stuck with me, as well as the music, and it definitely grew on me. I'm planning to watch it again this month.
Psychedelic! This one will definitely take another viewing to absorb everything. Maybe 20.

Loved it as well. Waiting for a good sale, but I'll own it someday.
It's been included at least twice during the BOGO sale ($4.99) in the Sony Savestation at Best Buy. My location never had it.

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian View Post
If ever you are looking for an 80's B movie that must be in the Record Book for make-up effects, I give you: Spookies.
https://youtu.be/rKWjjhYEdRM

Seriously, there's got to be a new creature (sometimes several of them) every 5 minutes, at least. It's like a cross between those old monster mash-ups Universal did, Gothic Hammer and a slasher.
I kicked off last year's challenge with it and really enjoyed it. It does deserve a proper release, as some scenes were too dark to decipher what's happening.

Quick Poster Recognition questions: If we guess at films and are wrong, do they negate the correct guesses? (i.e. Guess 19 and get five wrong... is that +14 and Correct, or +14 and -5, or...?) And if we can't pin down which franchise entry a specific image is from, should we simply guess the over-arching series, or is that too vague..?

Thanks!
No. All I'm looking for is 10 correct answers. And I'm not terribly specific - if the answer is Hellraiser 3 and you answer Hellraiser, well, that's close enough.

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi View Post
Later tonight, I'm going to start watching a Psychotronica collection I bought from VCI years ago http://www.shockingimages.com/module...php?itemid=984

If anyone else picked it up, you own a pretty hard to find and expensive OOP set
I picked that up for $13 shipped during their recent July sale after a BobO'Link recommendation.
Old 10-09-16, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi View Post
Today's theme got me confused but it looks like anything with non-normal human killers, surreal, or art house type stuff. I'm thinking The Birds should count.

I paid $13 for that not long ago from a VCI flash sale. Those prices are insane! Part of me now wants to sell mine but I buy stuff to *watch*.

I looked up the titles and only 2 are "genuine" horror titles. So... do they all count considering the "Psychotronica" type theme? I've been holding off on opening that one this year for that very reason.
Old 10-09-16, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe View Post
Has anybody seen The Hallow? I blind bought the Scream Factory release, and it sounds like a good fit for tonight's theme.
It's in my Netflix queue so I'll get to it very soon
Old 10-09-16, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For today's theme, I looked on YouTube. I took the chance to see a movie I had always wanted to see, primarily because I love heavy equipment. I watched Killdozer.
Old 10-09-16, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by shadokitty View Post
For today's theme, I looked on YouTube. I took the chance to see a movie I had always wanted to see, primarily because I love heavy equipment. I watched Killdozer.
What'd you think?
Old 10-09-16, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What'd you think?
I thought it was a good movie. But then, I enjoyed the idea of a big Caterpillar D-9 bulldozer being possessed by an alien force and getting a mind of its own. It kind of reminded me of Maximum Overdrive, on a much smaller scale. Your mileage may vary however though, as I had someone tell me I was brave when I said I was watching it on Facebook.
Old 10-09-16, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by shadokitty View Post
I thought it was a good movie. But then, I enjoyed the idea of a big Caterpillar D-9 bulldozer being possessed by an alien force and getting a mind of its own. It kind of reminded me of Maximum Overdrive, on a much smaller scale. Your mileage may vary however though, as I had someone tell me I was brave when I said I was watching it on Facebook.
I've watched that during previous challenges; it's entertaining, but not great, with an array of recognizable 70s character actors. I remember watching it as a kid on TV as an

I strongly recommend watching Clown, about a genial family man who turns into a monster when he puts on a clown suit for his son's birthday party. Great make-up and effects, and a really good performance from the lead actor.
Old 10-09-16, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe View Post
I absolutely love that movie. One of the best "new horror" films of recent.
Old 10-09-16, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So post Matthew; power back on now. Internet just came back. Literally half of NC was down. Unfortunately we had 7 deaths in NC. I have a lot of trees and debree down around the house, but nothing damaged.

Of course what matters most is I got Motel Hell in last night and this morning watched my Vestron copy of Chopping Mall. Not sure about this whole thing with a large distributor masquerading as a boutique, unique release brand.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.