The 9th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 9th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Old 07-08-16, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 513 Posts
Re: The 9th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by LJG765
I watched Logan's Run last year and was sort of disappointed. It's one of those frequently brought up sci-fi movies you must see as a fan of the genre but I kind of thought it was eh. Perhaps because now it's not that unique? I'm not sure, but definitely not getting a repeat viewing from me.
I saw it when it came out and thought it "just OK." I've seen it several times over the years and own it on DVD but I still don't think it's as good as it's made out to be. It's a rather slow moving film with many moments of things that happen for no good reason other than to extend the running time. I've always thought the visual fx were rather mundane as well. I think it made many "must see" lists because of Jenny Agutter's nude scene. That's one of those "What was the point of that?" moments. It also didn't hurt box office that Farrah Fawcett was getting lots of attention for Charlie's Angels (which had premiered earlier that year).

I recently purchased the Logan's Run TV series "just because I own the film and it was inexpensive" but don't have high hopes for it as the theme just seems limiting. However, it has a higher IMDB rating than the movie.
Old 07-08-16, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 175 Likes on 132 Posts

I never thought I'd say this about a Star Wars TV show, but I just watched my first episode of Lego Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures on Disney XD, and I actually found it funny. Vader seemed more like comedy relief.
Old 07-08-16, 02:24 PM

Received 93 Likes on 66 Posts

i don't disagree with the group's assessment of Logan's Run. It was just okay. I did think Michael York did an excellent job and i like the story line, but the concept certainly has been done better sense the film came out in the 70s
Old 07-08-16, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 296 Likes on 227 Posts

I watched Logan's Run last year and was sort of disappointed. It's one of those frequently brought up sci-fi movies you must see as a fan of the genre but I kind of thought it was eh. Perhaps because now it's not that unique? I'm not sure, but definitely not getting a repeat viewing from me.
I saw it when it came out and I wasn't too impressed. I haven't seen it since.
Old 07-08-16, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

I really try to watch a few movies like Logan's Run (acclaimed movies that I haven't watched for one reason or another) during the challenges. I've definitely found several I'm glad I watched as the challenge was the only reason I did. The movie not being to my usual taste so I would never had voluntarily watched it otherwise. On the flip side, there have definitely been movies I just don't understand why people thought/think that they are the best ever.

That being said, I still try to go outside my comfort zone and watch at least one or two like that per challenge because the ones I've fallen in love with have definitely made the clunkers worth sitting through.
Old 07-08-16, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^I try to do that same thing. I also have critically acclaimed movies I *do not* like in my collection simply because they're classics. Like you, there are some that I just don't understand why people like them, much less rave about them. I own copies of those anyway because it's possible one of the grandkids might like some of them and I absolutely don't want to limit their options.
Old 07-08-16, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I found a good example of going outside my comfort zone and finding a possible gem. I never cared much for Star Trek: The Next Generation, but I just finished 'Rascals' on BBC America, the one where Picard and a few others were turned into children, and I actually enjoyed the episode.
Old 07-08-16, 07:25 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 684 Likes on 459 Posts

I think I'll always rate Logan's Run a bit higher than it deserves due to nostalgia that'll be hard to suppress. Iirc, it was one of the first times I saw boobies.
Old 07-08-16, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

On the flip side, there have definitely been movies I just don't understand why people thought/think that they are the best ever.
I liked Wicker Man the first time I saw it. Then I bought it. Years later I watch it again and now it doesn't do anything for me.
Old 07-08-16, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 184 Likes on 116 Posts

I think everyone has one or two of those. Probably more.

For me, A Clockwork Orange is a classic that I just don't like and will likely never watch again.

Ironically, I've never seen Logan's Run. Might give it a go...
Old 07-08-16, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 220 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I saw it when it came out and I wasn't too impressed. I haven't seen it since.
I have a certain fondness for Logan's Run, though it certainly has not held up well. It's difficult to believe that its primitive miniatures and cheesy light effects won an Academy Award for Best Visual Effects, one year before Star Wars changed the game.

A Clockwork Orange is one of my all-time favorite films, and for forty years I have never been able to listen to the Ode to Joy from Beethoven's Ninth without saying, "I was cured all right" at the end.

I watched The Last Witch Hunter today, and against all expectations, really enjoyed it.
Old 07-08-16, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I found a good example of going outside my comfort zone and finding a possible gem. I never cared much for Star Trek: The Next Generation, but I just finished 'Rascals' on BBC America, the one where Picard and a few others were turned into children, and I actually enjoyed the episode.
Oh, that is a good one! One of my favs at least. I also like the one where Picard is stuck in the turbolift with a touring class. Disaster I think it is called.

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
I liked Wicker Man the first time I saw it. Then I bought it. Years later I watch it again and now it doesn't do anything for me.
Oh, that's another topic! I have several in my collection that I liked the first time I watched it but on 2nd viewing, turned out not to be good!
Originally Posted by MysterioMan007

For me, A Clockwork Orange is a classic that I just don't like and will likely never watch again.

Ironically, I've never seen Logan's Run. Might give it a go...
Hmm, I should actually watch that one again, I'm pretty sure I've at least seen parts of A Clockwork Orange but I don't remember a lot of it...
Old 07-08-16, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 116 Likes on 69 Posts

2001 cast list says "Frank Miller" and "Glenn Beck" in the 'also featuring' list... probably just namesakes!

I need to read the novel and some essays. There are questions in the Sci-fi thriller first two hours about AI, fallibility, reliance and assumptions. Then there's the (in)famous kaleidoscope and Starchild last half hour... I presume there are interviews/article giving reasons/justifications for that choice of ending, but after two or three times watching it, I'm still largely baffled.
Old 07-08-16, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 116 Likes on 69 Posts

Hmm, I should actually watch that one again, I'm pretty sure I've at least seen parts of A Clockwork Orange but I don't remember a lot of it...
You should, it's great.

Also, a good example of "dangerous prescience". Like The Truman Show (which I haven't' watched in years, now I think about it).
Old 07-09-16, 01:37 AM

Received 540 Likes on 385 Posts

If you have small kids and you're looking for something to watch, I recommend:

Little Witch Academia (2013) - http://www.netflix.com/title/80079082
Little Witch Academia: The Enchanted Parade (2015) - http://www.netflix.com/title/80078599

The artwork is amazing and the show's a whole lot of fun. Even though these are from a Japanese anime studio, it's western-style animation with an English audio track. There's also the original Japanese audio with English subs for those that prefer it.
Old 07-09-16, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ntnon
2001 cast list says "Frank Miller" and "Glenn Beck" in the 'also featuring' list... probably just namesakes!

I need to read the novel and some essays. There are questions in the Sci-fi thriller first two hours about AI, fallibility, reliance and assumptions. Then there's the (in)famous kaleidoscope and Starchild last half hour... I presume there are interviews/article giving reasons/justifications for that choice of ending, but after two or three times watching it, I'm still largely baffled.
I'm the same way. I've heard you need to read the book to understand the ending.

I just finished watching an episode of Farscape, on Pivot. Never really seen many of the episodes, but it seems like a good show.
Old 07-09-16, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm the same way. I've heard you need to read the book to understand the ending.

I just finished watching an episode of Farscape, on Pivot. Never really seen many of the episodes, but it seems like a good show.
2001 is a must READ, if you want to understand/enjoy the end of the movie at all, unless your on drugs.

I decided to try finally watching my Farscape Starburst DVDs. I've gotten through a few episodes now, but I find that the muppets really pull me out of the show. It's strange how a movie or show entirely made up of muppets (or at least a very clear majority) doesn't have that affect. But in this show, because there are so few of them, when they come on the screens, my brain just goes, "oh ya, this is just a show."
Old 07-09-16, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pacaway
2001 is a must READ, if you want to understand/enjoy the end of the movie at all, unless your on drugs.
Not true at all. I had probably seen the movie a dozen times before finally reading the book a few years ago.
Old 07-09-16, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 296 Likes on 227 Posts

I really try to watch a few movies like Logan's Run (acclaimed movies that I haven't watched for one reason or another) during the challenges. I've definitely found several I'm glad I watched as the challenge was the only reason I did. The movie not being to my usual taste so I would never had voluntarily watched it otherwise. On the flip side, there have definitely been movies I just don't understand why people thought/think that they are the best ever.

That being said, I still try to go outside my comfort zone and watch at least one or two like that per challenge because the ones I've fallen in love with have definitely made the clunkers worth sitting through.
Have you seen the 1956 version of INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS, directed by Don Siegel? It's a masterpiece. I've been meaning to watch it again for this challenge.
Old 07-09-16, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,083 Likes on 891 Posts

The earlier mention of The Purge had me wondering about the sci-fi aspect (it's set in the near future and has some light technology angles), and Wikipedia explained to me that it was considered "social sci-fi," which is considered less about technology than speculation about human nature and what people might do in certain situations. Very interesting!

Originally Posted by pacaway
I decided to try finally watching my Farscape Starburst DVDs. I've gotten through a few episodes now, but I find that the muppets really pull me out of the show. It's strange how a movie or show entirely made up of muppets (or at least a very clear majority) doesn't have that affect. But in this show, because there are so few of them, when they come on the screens, my brain just goes, "oh ya, this is just a show."
I thought the same thing when I watched a couple episodes a few years ago. I've heard raved about the show so I want to watch it, but I have so many other shows that seem like a higher priority.
Old 07-09-16, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That series is one I, too, have never much cared for but there *are* some very good episodes as I found out when I broke down and purchased the series on DVD last year.

A couple of days ago I made the mistake of browsing Amazon UK for some bargain region free BR sets and stumbled across TNG at a stupidly low price (under $66 shipped to the US) and looked at a few reviews of the set. When I saw the marked improvement in visual quality (something that truly bothered me with that series) I broke down and ordered a copy since that's less than I paid for *used* DVD seasons (don't rub salt into the wound Regulus - we've all heard about your incredible ST bargain! ) and there are enough "good" episodes that it's worth the double-dip at that price. It shipped yesterday and I hope it'll arrive in time to screen a few episodes before the challenge ends.
Old 07-09-16, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor
I think I'll always rate Logan's Run a bit higher than it deserves due to nostalgia that'll be hard to suppress. Iirc, it was one of the first times I saw boobies.
That near experience colors *many* films I saw at a young age.
Old 07-09-16, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

On the flip side, there have definitely been movies I just don't understand why people thought/think that they are the best ever.
Yep. You wouldn't be normal otherwise...

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
That's another I'd heard lots of good stuff about so heavily researched just *which* version to purchase and picked up a copy. I was rather disappointed as I found it rather mundane and nothing all that special. Even the "shocker" ending was rather tame (and I'd have probably thought so even during its year of release).
Old 07-09-16, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I decided to see what was playing on B-Movie TV, and saw it was a sci-fi film, so decided to watch it, and just finished Robowar. It was an interesting movie that I had never ever heard of, but was kind of like a low budget version of Predator.
Old 07-09-16, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gobear
I have a certain fondness for Logan's Run, though it certainly has not held up well. It's difficult to believe that its primitive miniatures and cheesy light effects won an Academy Award for Best Visual Effects, one year before Star Wars changed the game.
I didn't understand that award even back then. But many SF films in the 70s were pure dreck and sfx were not that good. Nevertheless it amazed me that some which looked *that* primitive (there are better in 50s films) were Oscar worthy. I tend to think it won mainly for the intricate wire work in the Carousel scene although I've always thought the people "exploding" when they got high enough was rather cheesy and not very effective.
Very understandable. That can be a tough film to watch. For years it was on my "It's a classic of its genre but do I *really* want to watch this film?" list. I opted for a viewing because I like most of Kubrick's other work and found that, while sometimes disturbing, it's actually a pretty good film.
Originally Posted by Gobear
A Clockwork Orange is one of my all-time favorite films, and for forty years I have never been able to listen to the Ode to Joy from Beethoven's Ninth without saying, "I was cured all right" at the end.
For me it's "Singing in the Rain." Since I saw A Clockwork Orange I've never again heard that one the same.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.