Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you loan your DVDs and Blu-rays to other people?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Do you loan your DVDs and Blu-rays to other people?

Old 05-29-16, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Do you loan your DVDs and Blu-rays to other people?

Nope.
Old 05-29-16, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

Sure, but I make it clear that I expect the item to be returned in the condition it came. There are a few items that are off-limits I wouldn't loan out to anyone.
Old 05-29-16, 05:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Wow, I knew we had some OCD types here, I'm obviously one of them in many areas, but I can't even begin to grasp the mentality of not sharing my hobbies with others. I might put them in separate cases to protect non-standard or collectible packaging, but no disc is off limits.
As mentioned by BobO'Link it's not even an issue of OCD, it's lending things out and not getting them back in the same condition or getting them back at all.

I've had too many experiences in the past with friends borrowing DVDs and bringing them back mangled, smelling like smoke or used as drink coasters. I also had several experiences similar to BobO'Link, where I have let a friend borrow a DVD, only to have them lend it out to others as it was their own. I'd rather not spend the money re-buying something I already have if it's damaged or lost.

Right now, I only let my best friends and dad borrow my DVDs , as I know they all are very responsible people.
Old 05-29-16, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

I could never believe it when I'd lend something out and they'd then lend it out to someone else who I didn't even know! Happened with a few CDs a long time ago but I at least got all of those back, I lost several recorded VHS tapes that way though. Thankfully I'd cut most of the idiots out of my life by the time DVDs came out- in fact, one of the reasons I switched to laserdisc from VHS was that nobody else had a player so lending them out wouldn't do them any good!
Old 06-02-16, 11:40 PM
Cool New Member

A friend just let me borrow his Bluray case, but more than half the discs are HD DVD.
Old 06-03-16, 09:57 AM

I used to loan to most acquaintances but the money I've been forced to spend replacing dvds/blu rays even entire tv series made me stop. I lend to family and close friends and thats it. I make them fill out a signout sheet so I know what they borrowed, and the date so I can follow up with them and make sure it comes back to me.

Sure it may seem a bit strict but Im sure everyone here has been burned and our collections are worth thousands of dollars so we can appreciate the reasons and methods behind how we manage our stuff.
Old 06-03-16, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Wow, I knew we had some OCD types here, I'm obviously one of them in many areas, but I can't even begin to grasp the mentality of not sharing my hobbies with others. I might put them in separate cases to protect non-standard or collectible packaging, but no disc is off limits.
This. The special packaging stays home, and I might not loan out entire sets at the same time, but I generally will loan out stuff.

Used to do it all the time at my old job. Not as much at my current job b/c I sometimes don't see co-workers for weeks at a time. The quirk that I had before was that I generally wouldn't take requests. I got to pick what I loaned out for people to watch. My friends started calling it Mattflix.
Old 06-03-16, 12:52 PM

Received 1,897 Likes on 1,120 Posts

Yeah, I loan stuff all the time. I keep track of it, reach out when it's been a while. Sometimes a Blu-ray goes out for a while and the movie ends up on Netflix before I get the disc back (Django Unchained). One person has replaced a damaged disc. One person was very apologetic about the cardboard snapper case getting ruined but I was just a couple months from moving everything to wallets, anyway.

I have two books I'll never get back, one from high school and one from college, to two young women who I don't really have contact with anymore. C'est la vie.
Old 06-03-16, 01:42 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
This. The special packaging stays home, and I might not loan out entire sets at the same time, but I generally will loan out stuff.

Used to do it all the time at my old job. Not as much at my current job b/c I sometimes don't see co-workers for weeks at a time. The quirk that I had before was that I generally wouldn't take requests. I got to pick what I loaned out for people to watch. My friends started calling it Mattflix.
Originally Posted by story
Yeah, I loan stuff all the time. I keep track of it, reach out when it's been a while. Sometimes a Blu-ray goes out for a while and the movie ends up on Netflix before I get the disc back (Django Unchained). One person has replaced a damaged disc. One person was very apologetic about the cardboard snapper case getting ruined but I was just a couple months from moving everything to wallets, anyway.

I have two books I'll never get back, one from high school and one from college, to two young women who I don't really have contact with anymore. C'est la vie.
I probably enjoy loaning my stuff out as much as watching it actually. It gives me great joy that I'm "getting my money's worth" and it verifies that I have good taste.

I usually keep track of what I've loaned out my giving it to them in empty cases and leaving the original packaging or art out.

I've only lost one title for sure, the DVD of Lifeforce to a former co-worker, but I've since replaced it with the blu-ray so I probably wouldn't mention it even if I ran into him again.
Old 06-03-16, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 224 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
My friends started calling it Mattflix.
This reminds me of the time a few years back when, after tiring of people asking me to loan them movies, I bought duplicates of some of the most requested ones for cheap from GoHastings.com and Half.com and took them to work specifically to loan out. I know that it's twisted, but I'd rather buy a cheap used copy to loan and possibly not get back than to loan my copy and perhaps have to replace it with a cheap used copy. It's my sickness, and I own it.

Anyway, I called my loaner system Robbox, just for fun. And, wouldn't you know it, I lost one movie and three TV seasons to loaning them out, which only served to justify my initial paranoia.
Old 06-03-16, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 73 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5
I see DVDs/BDs that look as if people have been sliding around on them in the driveway and I wonder how they could ever do that to something they paid money for, let alone borrowed from someone else.

That won't happen to mine.
Quite.
Old 06-05-16, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

I loan them out to friends and family at least once. I will give anyone I trust a chance, but if they don't return them in a reasonable amount of time, I don't give them any more. A co-worker has currently had my Back to the Future trilogy Blu-Ray set for about a year. When I get it back, she will no longer receive any more loans.

However, my brother returns them in a couple of weeks and I let him have his choice most of the time.