Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Seventh Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2016

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Seventh Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2016

Old 06-01-16, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
Re: The Seventh Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2016

Originally Posted by lisadoris
I had a lot of fun with this challenge and managed to plow through several seasons of Deep Space Nine and Voyager. Plus, I won a prize! Woo Hoo!

Thanks Dimension X for hosting this challenge and thanks to Hamilton Books for the prize - I tried to be a cheap winner
Wow, that was quick. You sure you don't want to take a little more time to look for something more expensive and maximize your winnings?

I sent your choice and your info along to GoldenWheels.

lisadoris picked Batman Beyond: Season One.

Last edited by Dimension X; 06-01-16 at 07:01 AM.
Old 06-01-16, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 72 Likes on 42 Posts
Re: The Seventh Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2016

Congratulations to the winners! Thanks Dimention X for running the challenge! This was another fun month! While I didn't hit any of my goals, I got a lot of viewing done and was able to finish one anime series. As several others have stated, I may update my list as the year goes on. There are a lot of unexplored foreign films out there!
Old 06-01-16, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 623 Likes on 457 Posts

I was amazed at what is considered "cult" and watched tons of stuff! I might do that theme again...

Congrats to the winners (I'd totally forgotten this one has winners), as always, huge thanks to Hamiltonbooks.com for providing prizes, and thanks to Dimension X for running things!
Old 06-01-16, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 167 Likes on 118 Posts

Wow, I saw the PM and I thought I messed up my answers for Abob Teff's Sheeperhero Sheep game. Very cool, thanks, and congrats to everyone! This month got away from me and I was not able to watch very much for the challenge. I was happy to go through my Bruce Lee collection and finally saw Game of Death which was disappointing but nice to see Bruce, albeit briefly, at the end. This was my first Make-Your-Own Challenge but not my last.

Thanks Dimension X for running the challenge and thanks Hamilton Books for the prizes!
Old 06-01-16, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by wishbone
Wow, I saw the PM and I thought I messed up my answers for Abob Teff's Sheeperhero Sheep game. Very cool, thanks, and congrats to everyone! This month got away from me and I was not able to watch very much for the challenge. I was happy to go through my Bruce Lee collection and finally saw Game of Death which was disappointing but nice to see Bruce, albeit briefly, at the end. This was my first Make-Your-Own Challenge but not my last.

Thanks Dimension X for running the challenge and thanks Hamilton Books for the prizes!
Another quick answer and quick pick. Thanks.

I sent your prize choice and your info along to GoldenWheels.

wishbone chose Sword and Sorcery Collection: Roger Corman's Cult Classics.

Old 06-01-16, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by Dimension X
Nice choice! I paid good money for that set, and it's served me well in the exploitation challenge.

Last edited by davidh777; 06-01-16 at 10:51 AM.
Old 06-01-16, 10:47 AM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Congratulations to the winners and many thanks to Dimension X for keeping this going. I had a great time with Japanese films and TV and watched 32 movies, 20 half hour TV shows and around 4.5 hours of special features. As a matter of fact, I don't really want to totally give up this challenge yet so like a few others I'll continue to update my list as I watch additional relevant material. I plan to watch some that will also count in the historical challenge but also a lot that won't double count.
Old 06-01-16, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidh777
Good choice! I paid good money for that set, and it's served me well in the exploitation challenge.
Thanks! Maybe I will make my next MYOC a "Swords and Sandals" theme.
Old 06-01-16, 05:23 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

As always this was a fun challenge! Finished over half of my Buffy/Angel marathon!

Thanks to DimensionX for hosting and to Hamilton Books for the prizes!
Old 06-01-16, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I love your challenge here. I used to be such a huge Python fan back in the pre-DVD days, and eagerly snatched up the complete DVD set, twice! And yet I haven't played a disc in years, what's wrong with me! I do re-watch Fawlty Towers fairly often at least.
Thanks! I was kind of in the same boat. I was excited for this challenge for at least 6 months. I can't believe it's [officially] over already.
Old 06-01-16, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks Dimension X for hosting this challenge again. I know it's been discussed whether to keep it going, but I love it, and love coming up with themes. I already have one for next year so I'm counting the months!
Old 06-01-16, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just noticed that I watched 68 items during May for my challenge. Last year, at the end of May, I had ALSO watched 68 items in my Gyllenhaal challenge. Funny.
Old 06-01-16, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, some other stuff came up, and I wasn't watching anything around midnight so I went ahead and did the drawing.

The three winners, as chosen by random.org, are:

lisadoris
Greg MacGuffin
wishbone

Check your PMs.

You must have a US mailing address to receive your prize. Any prize opportunities not claimed by midnight 6/3/16 will be re-gifted on Saturday morning.
Awesome, thanks so much! I will try to pick a prize within the next couple days.
Old 06-02-16, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Greg MacGuffin
Awesome, thanks so much! I will try to pick a prize within the next couple days.
Greg MacGuffin chose Day of Anger.

Congrats to all the winners.

Well that's it for me. This one always runs pretty easily, plus I usually get an idea for what my challenge will be and start getting ready for it in about January, so it's not too hard for me to talk myself into hosting it again by the time April rolls around.

I had a good time with my challenge. I only saw a few stinkers, watched a couple of really good flicks for the first time, and rewatched a few old favorites, along with some I saw so long ago, I barely remembered them. I still have lots of unwatched stuff that qualifies, so I'll probably watch some more this month and add them to my list.

Thanks to everyone who participated. You folks are the only reason I keep doing this year after year. We had about the same number of challengers this year as last year, which I really wasn't expecting, so, again, thank you.

Finally, a big thanks once again to GoldenWheels and Hamilton Books for the prizes.
Old 06-03-16, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

All prizes are in the mail guys....and kudos to your choices, btw.

Thanks to Dimension X for running the challenge!
Old 06-03-16, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Thanks for the support, GoldenWheels and Hamilton Books! I placed a book order there this week.
Old 06-05-16, 02:00 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for hosting again Dimension. I started off strong with the movie portion of my challenge and kind of fizzled there, but almost got all my goals completed (and another today). Plus my SF Giants seem to have a great month when I chose that as part of my challenge, so I hope this continues haha.
Old 06-07-16, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Though I quit updating my list in the first couple days of June, I'm still hitting my challenge hard. Just finished an elk hunting show on the Outdoor Channel, for example.
Old 06-12-16, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
All prizes are in the mail guys....and kudos to your choices, btw.

Thanks to Dimension X for running the challenge!

Prize received. Thanks again Dimension X and GoldenWheels!
Old 06-12-16, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Greg MacGuffin chose Day of Anger.

Got mine the other day as well. Looks great, can't wait to watch it. Thanks again!
Old 06-12-16, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 142 Likes on 97 Posts

Got mine the other day as well. I'll probably be watching it for the Animation Challenge in August. Thank ya kindly.