Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Seventh Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2016

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Seventh Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2016

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-16, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: The Seventh Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2016

Originally Posted by Dimension X
Don't feel pressured by this post. We still have a couple days left until May.

Here's the list of challengers and their challenges as of now.

List of Participants and their Challenges:
Spoiler:

Name
Challenge
Dimension X"Four Color Adventures Challenge"
shadokitty"Action Adventure / Documentary / Sports Challenge"
TheBigDave"Back to the '80s Challenge"
BobO'Link****
wishbone"I Know Kung-Fu" Challenge
mrcellophane"Foreign Film Challenge"
Cardsfan111"The Binge-Watching Challenge"
davidh777****
omike****
Trevor****
Giles"From Page to Screen" Challenge
lisadoris"Star Trek Deep Space Nine / Star Trek: Voyager Challenge"
orlmac"Serials based on comic-book characters" Challenge
malazar****
MrTerrific****
SterlingBen****
pacaway"The Full Monty" Challenge
Greg MacGuffin****
Screwadu"1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die" Challenge
Gobear"Shakespeare and Friends" Challenge
ororama"Cops, Detectives, Criminals and Crime" Challenge
LJG765icheckmovies "(Specifically Best Cartoons Ever, 100 Animated Feature Films, Top 100 Animated Features of all Time, Musical and Shorts lists)" Challenge
PCBreakdown"Monsters vs Aliens Challenge"

If you notice any errors in this list, please let me know.

It's Nice to see a few more folks adding fancy Challenge banners to the top of their list posts. It's good to know I'm not the only one who wasted time making one.

I would if I was any good at coding. Or Photoshop
Old 04-29-16, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
Re: The Seventh Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2016

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I would if I was any good at coding. Or Photoshop
Do you have Photoshop? If not, and you have any artistic inclinations, gimp is a free Photoshop alternative. It can be frustrating as hell to work with sometimes, but there are lots of tutorials and videos online that can help you figure out how to do lots of stuff with it. I've been working with it off and on for several months, and still have lots to learn, but I'm happy with most of what I've done with it.

EDIT: I'm not saying people have to make list banners, or even should make them. Out of my last 8 challenge lists, I've only made banners for three of them, and two of those were basically the same.

Last edited by Dimension X; 04-29-16 at 11:01 AM.
Old 04-29-16, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I don't think I've ever been as up in the air as I am this year. I was thinking about Marvel, but I'm close to caught up on the movies in prep for Civil War so it'd be mostly TV (Agents of SHIELD, Jessica Jones, Daredevil). I could resume Buffy or one of the other long-running shows on my list. Or I might just go with my fallback of musicals.
Old 04-29-16, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Do you have Photoshop? If not, and you have any artistic inclinations, gimp is a free Photoshop alternative. It can be frustrating as hell to work with sometimes, but there are lots of tutorials and videos online that can help you figure out how to do lots of stuff with it. I've been working with it off and on for several months, and still have lots to learn, but I'm happy with most of what I've done with it.

EDIT: I'm not saying people have to make list banners, or even should make them. Out of my last 8 challenge lists, I've only made banners for three of them, and two of those were basically the same.
I'll look into gimp. Thanks for the tip.
Old 04-29-16, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll look into gimp. Thanks for the tip.
Let me warn you that while it can be fun to play with, it can be a huge time waster. You can find yourself doing silly things like turning old comic book covers into photocovers for no real reason.

Spoiler:
Old 04-29-16, 04:26 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I decided to go with:
Originally Posted by omike
  • Japanese film and TV (I've done this one and a half times before but the pile is large and keeps growing)
British film and TV was a close second but that would have been mostly TV shows and I'm still in the mood for more movies right now.

By the way Dimension X, I really like your comic book banner, especially Steranko enhanced by David Hasselhoff. Is that Nick Fury TV movie available somewhere? I don't think I've seen it since it originally aired.
Old 04-29-16, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Let me warn you that while it can be fun to play with, it can be a huge time waster. You can find yourself doing silly things like turning old comic book covers into photocovers for no real reason.

Spoiler:
Old 04-29-16, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

I don't know how much time i'll be able to spend this month, but because we marked the 400th anniversary of William Shakespeare's death this week, it seems appropriate to watch movies adapted from his works or that feature him as a character. I'll probably start off by watching Ran or Branagh's Hamlet.
Old 04-29-16, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

By the way Dimension X, I really like your comic book banner, especially Steranko enhanced by David Hasselhoff.
Thanks (and yes, I'll admit I was fishing for compliments). I was going to do #4 ("SHIELD Origin Issue!"), a favorite of mine, with a full body Hasselhoff pic, but quickly realized that I'd have to reconstruct a lot of detailed psychedelic background stuff, so I went with the easier head replacement (by the way, the head in the original is a little odd looking itself, but I thought the silliness of my version was appropriate somehow).
Is that Nick Fury TV movie available somewhere? I don't think I've seen it since it originally aired.
It was a Best Buy exclusive some years back. I don't know if it's been re-released.

I saw it when it was originally aired also, and haven't seen it since. The same with the Dr. Strange and Spirit TV movies.

Originally Posted by davidh777
Thanks. That one took me the longest, and I'm kind of proud of how it turned out.

The biggest thing I've learned from posting in the photoshop threads is to stop and let it go at some point. People are only going to look at it for a couple of seconds and move on, so it's not likely they'll see as many of the flaws as I do.

Last edited by Dimension X; 04-29-16 at 05:15 PM.
Old 04-29-16, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Spoiler:
I always wanted to make a kaiju theme banner for the sci fi/fantasy Challenge. Maybe I'll try my hand at it this year.
Old 04-29-16, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I always wanted to make a kaiju theme banner for the sci fi/fantasy Challenge. Maybe I'll try my hand at it this year.
Give it a try. Since gimp is free, you're only out the time you spend with it, and if you're a doodler anyway, you're saving ink and paper also.
Old 04-29-16, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I don't think I've ever been as up in the air as I am this year. I was thinking about Marvel, but I'm close to caught up on the movies in prep for Civil War so it'd be mostly TV (Agents of SHIELD, Jessica Jones, Daredevil). I could resume Buffy or one of the other long-running shows on my list. Or I might just go with my fallback of musicals.
I was thinking about that, but a) unlikely to be enough time to get through the MCU before Civil War, b) seen them all reasonably recently (not that that's a bad thing) and b) don't have Netflix, and JJ/DD aren't available on disc. So that's out..

Maybe TC(B)M, since I seem to watch most things recently via TCM anyway, and the "B" will let me sneak Batman films into the mix.
Old 04-30-16, 10:11 AM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

Very last minute entry here. This will be my first time for the Make-Your-Own-Challenge challenge and I'm going to go with summer themed movies. Seems appropriate, right? A number of movies immediately come to mind, but I'm working on adding some first-time-views as well.
Old 04-30-16, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Surfinhank
Very last minute entry here. This will be my first time for the Make-Your-Own-Challenge challenge and I'm going to go with summer themed movies. Seems appropriate, right? A number of movies immediately come to mind, but I'm working on adding some first-time-views as well.
Welcome to the challenge. I hope you enjoy yourself. I can't wait myself. Less than 8 hours to go till it begins.
Old 04-30-16, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

...and I *still* haven't come up with a theme!!
Old 04-30-16, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
...and I *still* haven't come up with a theme!!
Maybe there's such a thing as a random.org theme. Put what you want to watch into random.org and see what comes up. I doubt it, but you never know.
Old 04-30-16, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Surfinhank
Thanks for joining us.
Old 04-30-16, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I kicked off my challenge with an episode of The Kayak Fishing Show, on the World Fishing Network, in which the host was in Costa Rica fishing for Roosterfish.
Old 04-30-16, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by ntnon
I was thinking about that, but a) unlikely to be enough time to get through the MCU before Civil War, b) seen them all reasonably recently (not that that's a bad thing) and b) don't have Netflix, and JJ/DD aren't available on disc. So that's out..

Maybe TC(B)M, since I seem to watch most things recently via TCM anyway, and the "B" will let me sneak Batman films into the mix.
I recently got Netflix access through a shared account, so I'm trying to figure out what's available. TV selection seems better than movies so far.
Old 04-30-16, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

I have a theme! Finally!

The Cult of Personality: Cult movies and TV shows.

I have *lots* of unopened content for that one and it has a very wide genre selection. Now all that's left is deciding just *what* I want to watch first.
Old 04-30-16, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I have a theme! Finally!

The Cult of Personality: Cult movies and TV shows.

I have *lots* of unopened content for that one and it has a very wide genre selection. Now all that's left is deciding just *what* I want to watch first.
So you've got a full day of double credit ahead of you with the extra day Caligula gave.
Old 05-01-16, 04:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I kicked off today's challenge viewing early as soon as I woke up with an episode of FLW Outdoors, on World Fishing Network, in which the tour was fishing for bass at the Potomac River, in October of 2015.
Old 05-01-16, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Since I got Keanu Reeve's 47 Ronin in the mail yesterday I'm modifying my kung fu challenge to include Japanese/Asian titles too. Just finished 47 Ronin and I checked my expectations at the door from a quick review I read online. With that in mind it wasn't too bad.
Old 05-01-16, 10:37 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Star Trek: TNG share something in common, both are great shows that had pretty bad first seasons.
Old 05-02-16, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I kicked off today's challenge viewing with an episode of Greg Zipadelli's Drop Zone, on the Outdoor Channel, in which he was in Montana, bowhunting for elk.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.