Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

5th Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Discussion Thread March 2016

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-16, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
re: 5th Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Discussion Thread March 2016

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Sounds good. I'm looking forward to checking out the series. I almost did pop it open in January, but something always stopped me. Maybe figuring I could watch it next month, I don't know.
Travis and I watched the first season plus the movie last month and really enjoyed it. We watched on average 6 shows (3 "arcs") a night, but there were some gaps in between. I wouldn't say they blurred together, but after awhile, some of the repetitiveness of the shows got a little old. Really enjoyed them though and laughed quite a bit. More than I expected too, honestly. This was my first time watching them in order and it was kind of nice to see how they flowed. I do have to say, some of the later season one episodes could have easily fit down into one show. But overall, I really recommend watching. We have plans on catching at least season 2 next month.
Old 02-16-16, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
re: 5th Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Discussion Thread March 2016

Originally Posted by Trevor
Not acceptable. Go back in time and participate.
This
Old 02-18-16, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Yes, this is my favorite challenge of the year! I bought a bunch of DVD sets recently and will watch them in the challenge.

I'm especially excited to watch Crime Story and I'm going to try to watch all the Stray Cat Rock films as well.
Old 02-19-16, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Just a little over a week till the beginning of the challenge. Just wondering if people had any idea of what they were going to start with? I might start with either martial arts, peplum, or since I consider hunting and fishing to be adventures, and I watch them all year anyways, I might start one of the shows on one of the outdoor channels on Dish Network.
Old 02-19-16, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Not really. I'll decide right before it starts. Right now I'm thinking more of what I'll watch for DVDTalk's Second Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge - dusk 2/27/16 to dawn 3/2/16.

Both the Poirot and Rockford sets I own are calling hard... then I remembered I purchased Burn Notice as a blind buy (fan of Bruce Campbell) and it qualifies as does Chuck (have S5 left to watch on that one).

To a degree I've already started. I picked up a copy of Tremors 5 last week and watched it Sunday. While not as good as the first film it *is* entertaining. One of these days I'll purchase a copy of the TV show. On the recommendation of a co-worker (thanks lrend) and being a fan of many of Kevin Smith's films I watched Tusk last night. While it's more Horror it *does* have enough crime elements that it would qualify.

I recently purchased a BR copy of the new Spartacus (1960) Restored Edition and am itching to watch it - don't know if I'll wait or not.
Old 02-19-16, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Not really. I'll decide right before it starts. Right now I'm thinking more of what I'll watch for DVDTalk's Second Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge - dusk 2/27/16 to dawn 3/2/16.

Both the Poirot and Rockford sets I own are calling hard... then I remembered I purchased Burn Notice as a blind buy (fan of Bruce Campbell) and it qualifies as does Chuck (have S5 left to watch on that one).

To a degree I've already started. I picked up a copy of Tremors 5 last week and watched it Sunday. While not as good as the first film it *is* entertaining. One of these days I'll purchase a copy of the TV show. On the recommendation of a co-worker (thanks lrend) and being a fan of many of Kevin Smith's films I watched Tusk last night. While it's more Horror it *does* have enough crime elements that it would qualify.

I recently purchased a BR copy of the new Spartacus (1960) Restored Edition and am itching to watch it - don't know if I'll wait or not.
I'm thinking about the Time Travel Challenge too, but think I may start with Time Tunnel or Doctor Who for that.
Old 02-27-16, 01:37 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Reminder that this Challenge possibly starts tonight; if you watch Leap Day Challenge content only.
Old 02-27-16, 02:47 PM

Here is a list of films good for double credit with the Academy Award Challenge. Most would also be triple credit compatable with the Action/Adventure Challenge. There are probably more, but I'm tired of searching.

Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me
Back to the Future
Back to the Future II
Click
Field of Dreams
Harry Potter
Spoiler:
Prisoner of Azkaban
Interstellar
Kate and Leopold
Midnight in Paris
Peggy Sue Got Married
Planet of the Apes (1968)
Portrait of Jennie
Somewhere in Time
South Park
Star Trek (2009)
Star Trek: First Contact
Star Trek IV
Superman: The Movie
Terminator 2
Time Machine (1960)
Time Machine (2002)
Twelve Monkeys
12:01 P.M. (1990)
X-Men: Days of Future Past
Old 02-28-16, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So to confirm, if we're participating in the Time Travel challenge, the movies can also count for this one as long as they are a/a/c/m? Or only from tomorrow on? Thanks!
Old 02-28-16, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by LJG765
So to confirm, if we're participating in the Time Travel challenge, the movies can also count for this one as long as they are a/a/c/m? Or only from tomorrow on? Thanks!
From last night on, and not just movies of course!
Old 02-28-16, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
... I purchased Burn Notice as a blind buy (fan of Bruce Campbell) and it qualifies as does Chuck (have S5 left to watch on that one).
Burn Notice is great. Also, Covert Affairs and Suits (though Suits may not count here) - USA has had some very good shows over the last few years.
Old 02-28-16, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
From last night on, and not just movies of course!
Of course! Thanks!
Old 02-29-16, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For any dog lovers, if you get Fido TV, there are two eligible shows aired on there. Send in the Dogs, and Send in the Dogs: Australia. They are about the K-9 units at work in the UK and Australia.

6 hours to go till the official start of the Challenge, and I can't wait.
Old 02-29-16, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I kicked off the official start of the Challenge with an episode of Wardens, on Outdoor Channel.
Old 03-01-16, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Kicked it off by watching The Blacklist and then watched a new episode of Gotham. For clarification purposes, watching a show "on demand" counts as TV and not streaming, correct?
Old 03-01-16, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55
For clarification purposes, watching a show "on demand" counts as TV and not streaming, correct?
That sounds good, although I don't think anyone would blink if you counted it as either, or even both!

Last edited by Trevor; 03-01-16 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Quote box spacing experimentation
Old 03-01-16, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts
Re: 5th Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Discussion Thread March 2016

Last year, I bought a collection of Dick Tracy serials and finally opened it yesterday evening. The first three episodes (out of fifteen) were excellent, delivering bombastic-yet-cheap thrills. I'm enjoying Ralph Byrd as Tracy. The rest of the cast has been given that much to do, and I'm wondering which ones will be able to build compelling characters.
Old 03-01-16, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: 5th Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Discussion Thread March 2016

I just finished a good show about a turkey hunt on the Outdoor Channel. The hunter bagged a huge gobbler. This afternoon I watched the new Netflix movie, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon: Sword of Destiny, and really enjoyed it. The sword fight choreography was superb.
Old 03-01-16, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I watched Edge of Tomorrow: Live, Die, Repeat last night for double credit and actually really liked it. It was fast paced, enough action to satisfy, but not so horribly gory that I wanted to turn it off. I'm not a huge Tom Cruise fan, but he really played his role well. I know it got kind of a bad rap when it was released and I'm still not sure why they renamed it when they put it out on disc, but it's a nice action flick.
Old 03-01-16, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by LJG765
I watched Edge of Tomorrow: Live, Die, Repeat last night for double credit and actually really liked it. It was fast paced, enough action to satisfy, but not so horribly gory that I wanted to turn it off. I'm not a huge Tom Cruise fan, but he really played his role well. I know it got kind of a bad rap when it was released and I'm still not sure why they renamed it when they put it out on disc, but it's a nice action flick.
I loved it. I'm thinking it could have had a slightly better ending tough. Not saying it was a bad ending, and no idea how it could have been better; but I feel like I was on the edge of my seat and loving every turn until about 80% through, and then the final part was just sorta good but not great. Seemed like there were a string of 'oh wow' moments spaced consistently and often for most of it, but then they just kinda dried up. But again, I loved it!
Old 03-01-16, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Outside Television is another good channel for this Challenge. Full of shows about adventure sports. I just watched an episode of Reel Rock, in which two people were in a race to climb a cliff and break a record.

Before that I watched A Trip to the Moon on Netflix. The color version seemed better than the black and white version that I watched for last year's sci fi challenge.
Old 03-03-16, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I plan to focus a lot on the Challenge today, so after watching the news when I woke up, I started right in with a show about bear hunting on the Pursuit Channel.
Old 03-03-16, 11:32 AM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I started out the post-Leap Day part of this challenge with an episode of Poirot last night. I had hoped to get in a Shaw Brothers film but I just didn't have the time.

My only exposure to Poirot had been the Murder on the Orient Express movie with Albert Finney in the part but a couple of friends who have similar tastes to mine recommended the TV show so when I saw the Complete Cases Collection at a really good price I took the plunge. I've only watched three episodes so far but I like what I've seen. The sets, costumes, cars etc. are very well done and I find David Suchet quite appealing as Poirot. My only complaint about last night's episode, "The Adventure of Johnnie Waverly" was that I figured out the solution, something which almost never happens. Since I'll be getting home a bit later than usual today, I'm looking forward to squeezing in another episode. Martial arts mayhem will just have to wait until the weekend.
Old 03-03-16, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

I've been somewhat lazy and have simply continued my viewing of The Time Tunnel since I didn't get all the way through on the Leap Year Challenge. I'm not sure yet just *what* will be the first "new" thing I watch this year.
Old 03-03-16, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm not watching any one particular show, as I bounce between Netflix, Sling TV, Amazon, Hulu, and other Roku and Fire TV channels, plus Dish, but I've started working my way through the next disc of GI Joe, and just finished part 1 of ' The Pyramid of Darkness'.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.