Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Where can I buy TV show sets for a good price?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 12-21-15, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, After being burned TWICE on eBay trying to buy the All in the Family complete series box set I am coming to you to ask where I can buy TV show sets at affordable prices. I can't afford $100+ from the studios. Do these ever go on sale? I see them on Amazon but I am worried it's the same bootlegs they are selling on eBay.
Old 12-21-15, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 149 Likes on 125 Posts
Re: Where can I buy TV show sets for a good price?

So you don't want bootlegs but you don't want to pay retail either?

Buying directly from Amazon rather than their third-party sellers should be safer than eBay. Set price alerts on camelcamelcamel to be notified of price drops. Because physical media is dying, there are often deals on the big sets.
Old 12-21-15, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
So you don't want bootlegs but you don't want to pay retail either?

Buying directly from Amazon rather than their third-party sellers should be safer than eBay. Set price alerts on camelcamelcamel to be notified of price drops. Because physical media is dying, there are often deals on the big sets.
Physical media is not dying.
Old 12-21-15, 03:06 PM

Everything goes on sale at some point. That set is on Amazon for 85 right now. But to answer your question, my trick is Barnes and Noble. If you have a membership and you use coupons (Which they seem to send out constantly), you can make out like a bandit. I bought the Twin Peaks blu-ray set for $49 the other day.
Old 12-21-15, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

It's really too broad of a question to answer very specifically. What you're trying to acquire will be the most important factor. A lot of shows exist on disc for a niche market, meaning a low supply in the first place. Take, for instance, The Dukes of Hazzard. All seven seasons of that series, as well as the two made-for-TV movies, were easily found in every Walmart upon initial release. However, the animated spin-off The Dukes is a Warner Archive MOD release you can't just go in somewhere and buy. (The other spin-off, Enos, has yet to be released in any format anywhere.)

If you were searching for the series proper, that'd be easy and relatively inexpensive to get, but you're probably going to have to pay close to Warner Archive's full price for the animated show. You can buy it from Amazon and save a couple of dollars, but your options are considerably fewer for that than they are for the original show. To find the best possible deal on something like that, you'll need to monitor WBShop.com promotions for discount codes and such.

Identifying what you want is the first step in finding it at an acceptable price point. Paying close attention to the threads in the deals subforum here will be helpful. There's a thread dedicated to the aforementioned Barnes & Noble coupons and sales promotions that they run, in-store and online, for instance.

Also, doing more homework can help avoid disappointing third-party seller transactions through eBay. The OP didn't elaborate on the nature of the two named eBay purchases, so I can't address those specifically, but it can be helpful to learn the differences between editions of the same thing (dvdcompare.net can be useful here), as well as learning to recognize red flags in a seller's listing, profile, or history. For instance, I won't buy anything where the seller has only provided stock imagery; I want to see the specific tangible thing that's for sale. If a seller has multiple copies of the same DVD or CD, etc., I become suspicious that what they have is either, at best, some kind of overstock they've acquired that could be marked as such without being noted in their description, or at worst a bootleg. If a description focuses on the movie/show/album but not the disc, I become suspicious. I've seen, for instance, listings from sellers of Asian market bootlegs for Star Trek: The Next Generation that provide generic background info on "one of the most popular sci-fi TV shows of all time!" but avoid saying a single word about where the DVD being sold was manufactured.
Old 12-22-15, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeStSteven View Post
Hi all, After being burned TWICE on eBay trying to buy the All in the Family complete series box set I am coming to you to ask where I can buy TV show sets at affordable prices. I can't afford $100+ from the studios. Do these ever go on sale? I see them on Amazon but I am worried it's the same bootlegs they are selling on eBay.
One must have patience when deal shopping large sets. Might have to wait 2-5 years after it comes out to find a good deal on it.
Old 12-22-15, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Might even be more worth it to just buy it by the season.
Old 12-26-15, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The key to bargain hunting is patience. Make a list of what you want and then check this forum and blu-ray daily to see what's happening. There are also more generic deals like Jet.com and Barnes and Noble where codes or coupons will pop up that will allow you to get anything they have at discount prices. Be ready to spend money when the deals pop up. There are times when I randomly check the forum and a deal goes hot and suddenly I've spent $200-$500. You can't be afraid to spend big bucks when the price is right.
Old 12-28-15, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Pawn shops.