Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-15, 07:30 PM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

My list is finished.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/12596844-post101.html

My goal was 100. I ended up with 155 entries. 121 were movies, and the rest were TV episodes.

I did all the Subset movies. And watched at least 2 movies for each Theme Night.

Almost finished the Checklist. I came up 1 short in the Writers and Directors categories.
Old 11-02-15, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by CrazyMat
Nightmares and Dreamscapes
Forgot about that one. It's also on my to watch list.
Old 11-02-15, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

As was already mentioned by a few other participants, great challenge this year. And to cap it off, a very busy Halloween night/morning that I still haven't fully recovered from. But it was all worth it---As usual.

My usual random stats/observances before the awards:

11 marathons in and this was easily the most ouija-board-happy out of all of them. It was fitting that the last one I saw (The Pact) involved a quickly homemade one.

This was also the most Found-Footage-heavy marathon I've done so far. The good thing about them (Even the not-so-good ones) is that they manage to fly by very quickly to me.

For a minute there, some of the leading ladies were starting to look very much alike

Other holidays I encountered:
Xmas-Omen IV, Santa's Slay

Mayor-election time:
WolfCop, Howling VI:The Freaks...There was another one that I forgot...Graveyard Shift, I think?

Cheapest horror movie I saw:
Don't Blink (If you saw this, you know exactly what I'm talking about)

But speaking of REAL cheap, the one that I can't believe that I actually finished:
The Werewolf of Carle Place (2013)

Ones that I'll be more prepared for next time:
A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night
Detention

Christians VS Catholics-The catholics (Night of the Demons 2,Hellbenders) were cooler than the christians (Zombies of Mass Destruction,The Mist)

THE DOG SURVIVES!
Spoiler:

Knock Knock
Crimson Peak

I don't normally have a good streak with horror comedies for these challenges, but, lo and behold, I ran into a bunch (By my standards) that got plenty of laughs and chuckles out of me:
What We Do in the Shadows
Santa's Slay
S.O.B. Summer of Blood
Bachelor Party in the Bungalow of the Damned

Good scores:
It Follows
Werewolf Rising

Favorite makeup:
Mutant (aka Night Shadows) Coolest-looking whiteface ghouls I've seen in some time.

Most favorite ending:
Dead Snow 2

Character who had the WORST day ever (Ticks):
Spoiler:
Poor Alfonso Ribeiro.
First, he cries his heart out over his dog that got killed by the monstrous ticks
Then he gets viciously attacked by said ticks
THEN he gets beaten up and shot by the bad guys
AND THEN he overdoses on steroids
FINALLY he dies of all of his wounds
BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE!
His body gets ripped to shreds as a gigantic tick grows out of it!

^Name me another character in a horror movie who goes through more than that!!

Awards time!

Best Movie(s) (First time viewing)
Late Phases-My favorite hero of the challenge
It Follows-Though I admired it a lot, I actually wish a different writer/director would have been on board. Just a few things felt very off to me. Maybe the inevitable sequel might achieve that.
StageFright (1987)-Worth the wait and hype.
The Pact-Tormented ghost-movie done right.
Willow Creek-Found-footage done right.
Oculus-Probably the one that haunted me the most.
Honorable Mentions:
Curse of Chucky-Never would have thought that a Chucky movie could succeed in getting me to react to jump scares.
Demon's Rook-A shaky first half, but I had a lot of fun with it down the stretch.
The Battery-It's all about that last half hour....
Starry Eyes-Expected a little more. Still some harrowing stuff going on.
The Living Skeleton-I really want to see the rest of that Eclipse Collection now.

Worst Movie(s)
No Tell Motel-Lame and aggrivating
Howling:New Moon Rising-Though it was to be expected
Keep my grave open-ZZZzzzzzz
Black Moon (1934)-Probably the most racist horror movie I ever saw
Drive-In Horrorshow-The gore (Which still wasn't all that) was the only thing that saved this.
Feeding Grounds-Very tough to get through.
My Mom's A Werewolf-Good ol' Crown International at it again.

Imagine My Surprise! (aka "holy shit, I actually enjoyed that!")
The Uninvited-Perhaps that's a little vague since there's a trillion horror movies with that title. But I'm referring to the Tale of Two Sisters remake. The original was tough for me to get into (It took me about 3 tries to finally finish it) But this one had my attention all the way through.

Biggest Disappointment(s)
Crimson Peak-Though I wouldn't mind seeing this movie get some Oscar noms/wins for costume design and set decoration, this ultimately had a Lifetime-movie plot.
Erotic Rites of Frankenstein/Vampire's Night Orgy-Nothing erotic or orgasmic to see here.

Best "Better on a 2nd viewing" movie
Tower of Evil-I only liked the first half of it when I saw it a couple years ago. I was into the whole movie this time around.

"WTF did I just watch?"
Face of the Screaming Werewolf
Argento's Dracula
Guru The Mad Monk
(Even by Milligan's standards, this was rough)
Lust For Dracula
Alabama's Ghost
(A vampire gets killed by an elephant. I've seen it all)

*FAVORITE HORROR BABES*

Asskickers/Final Girls:
Bianca Bradey-Wyrmwood: Road of the Dead
Caty Loitz-The Pact
Tiffany Boone-Detention (I guess she was an asskicker)
Elizabeth Di Prinzio-The Culling

Bad Girls/She-Beasts
Zoe Trilling-Night of the Demons 2
Miriam Giovanelli-Argento's Dracula
Ana De Armas-Knock Knock
Nicki Lynn Aycox-Animals

Victims
Spoiler:

Naté Bova-Da Sweet Blood of Jesus
Irena Murphy-Werewolf Rising
Jane Adams-House of Dracula
Mircea Monroe-Bloodwork

The Boobage Award!
Burlesque Massacre

And the man-crush:
Kazuki Kitamura-Freeze Me

My compilation vid, 1897-2015:

124 movies made the cut. Warning to headphone users: There's an organ that plays during the 60's segment that might cause some damage.

Thank you all for continuing to make my Octobers great, guys.

Last edited by Mondo Kane; 11-04-15 at 12:08 AM.
Old 11-02-15, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
11 marathons in and this was easily the most ouija-board-happy out of all of them. It was fitting that the last one I saw (The Pact) involved a quickly homemade one.

This was also the most Found-Footage-heavy marathon I've done so far. The good thing about them (Even the not-so-good ones) is that they manage to fly by very quickly to me.
My challenge was subtitle-heavy. I think I watched more foreign language films this time than in the last three or four Octobers put together.
Other holidays I encountered:
Xmas-Omen IV, Santa's Slay
The Pact (2012) was a Christmas movie also (there was a Christmas tree in the mother's house and some decorations at the police station, and I remember hearing Christmas music in the background of at least one scene).

EDIT: to prove to myself that I wasn't imagining this, I got my copy and grabbed a few screenshots.
Spoiler:

They're not the most festive in-your-face decorations, but they're there. And "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" is playing in the background while she sits in the police station waiting for someone to talk to her.

I don't normally have a good streak with horror comedies for these challenges, but, lo and behold, I ran into a bunch (By my standards) that got plenty of laughs and chuckles out of me:
What We Do in the Shadows
Santa's Slay
S.O.B. Summer of Blood
Bachelor Party in the Bungalow of the Damned
Santa's Slay is a great film. I've watched it during a few Holiday Challenges.

Last edited by Dimension X; 11-02-15 at 08:37 PM.
Old 11-02-15, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Best Movie(s) (First time viewing)
Late Phases-My favorite hero of the challenge
The Battery-It's all about that last half hour....
I think those were my favorite first time viewings. I actually really liked The Battery.
Old 11-02-15, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 73 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by indiephantom

The general quality of most other lists has decreased in quality and content over the years. Most are just tossed off quickly with little attention to presentation and only concerned with getting to 100 or more titles. Also, just listing films is kind of boring.
Given that there's been firm resistance to eliminating/downplaying the bingeing or 'get to 100' element of this challenge, is that really a surprise? It's (one of/th main) stated aim of the challenge!

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
Over the years we seem to just be concentrating more on discussion rather than lists. I know it takes a long time to do a pretty, content rich list, and I'd rather spend that time watching movies.
Quite. For me, there's either time to watch, time to comment & discss or time to do things (work, eat, family, sleep). Then, far distant fourth is remembering to update my list.

Fifth would be trying to make it more readable/good-looking, rather than merely functional.

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
My preference is to get more discussion involved in the discussion threads, and then not even have a "Best List" category. Everyone's list can still be whatever; I look and read through them occasionally. More when their final...
Agreed. I appreciate the effort and care some/many put in, but don't have the time or inclination - and feel that doing so would certainly cut input and engagement in half for me.

Last edited by ntnon; 11-02-15 at 08:54 PM.
Old 11-02-15, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I have the Ausie SS disc version of The Outer Limits in my purchase plans...
The what, please..? An Australian release of the film, series or 'other'..?
Old 11-02-15, 09:40 PM

This year I noticed that in Cursed's classic Horror nightclub, aside from Lon Chaney's Wolf Man and other Universal staples, were lifesize statues of Xena and Hercules! Which was odd, if amusing... I wonder why they were there: Is Wes Craven a Raimi/Tapert friend/fan, perhaps..?
Old 11-03-15, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
The what, please..? An Australian release of the film, series or 'other'..?
The original series, on SS discs (instead of the troublesome DS ones Universal foisted upon US customers), Region 0, NTSC.
Old 11-03-15, 03:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello again all, hope everyone enjoyed their challenge and had a great halloween. I apologize for not being present in the discussion this year aside from the first couple of days. I had computer issues that have been plaguing me all month and that is where I am best able to update lists/join the discussion as my tablet tends to accidentally erase stuff I type and hard to copy/paste to reply to comments or update lists etc. so have only been able to go to the library on occasion to use their computers to update my list at times due to medical reasons. I will hopefully be able to participate in discussion more next challenge. My list should be completed by Thursday the latest but definitely before the 7th.
Old 11-03-15, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Fell short of a movie a day, again. And I was really pushing at the end. Oh well.

And I will fully admit my list is super basic, but I agree with others...rather spend that time watching movies. JMO.
Old 11-03-15, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

As was already mentioned by a few other participants, great challenge this year. And to cap it off, a very busy Halloween night/morning that I still haven't fully recovered from. But it was all worth it---As usual.

Mayor-election time:
WolfCop, Howling VI:The Freaks...There was another one that I forgot...Graveyard Shift, I think?

Thank you all for continuing to make my Octobers great, guys.
Zombies of Mass Destruction had a re-election.

Great recap with some great suggestions. Thanks Mondo
Old 11-03-15, 08:02 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

As a couple others have said, I look at the lists more after the final deadline. I don't like to vote for best list until everyone is done, and I don't want to miss anything pre-final edits. I often spend an entire mid-November day just slowly reading everyone's list and letting it take me on fun Google rumps to dig deeper into some of the interesting and new-to-me films.

I ended up watching the premiere of Ash vs the Evil Dead and really digging it. I think I'm in the vast minority here when I say that Army of Darkness sucks. But I do love the first film(s) and look forward to seeing more of the series once the seasons are released.
Old 11-03-15, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
As a couple others have said, I look at the lists more after the final deadline. I don't like to vote for best list until everyone is done, and I don't want to miss anything pre-final edits. I often spend an entire mid-November day just slowly reading everyone's list and letting it take me on fun Google rumps to dig deeper into some of the interesting and new-to-me films.

I ended up watching the premiere of Ash vs the Evil Dead and really digging it. I think I'm in the vast minority here when I say that Army of Darkness sucks. But I do love the first film(s) and look forward to seeing more of the series once the seasons are released.
Saturday I had planned on a double feature of my Evil Dead 2, and Army of Darkness Blu Rays, but couldn't locate ED2, so watched a Treehouse of Horror instead.
Old 11-03-15, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Top FTVs
Horror of Dracula
Peter Cushing vs. Christopher Lee -- this is the Dracula film I hoped it would be and more. The final confrontation and dispelling of the vampire is epic. I look forward to watching this many times.

Planet of the Vampires
Not perfect but I loved the ominous mood that permeated this film. Fashionable uniforms, cavernous spaceships, crew members refusing to stay dead... I'm glad I picked this one up.

Bride of Frankenstein
"You live. We belong dead." Rejected by humanity and deprived of companionship the Monster's last statement is poignant and succinct. I think I liked this film better than the original.

Meh FTVs
Vampyros Lesbos
Trippy film. Nice soundtrack. Okay lesbos. I may track down She Killed in Ecstasy for next year's challenge.

Phantom of the Opera (1943)
Horror seemed to take a back seat to the well done musical numbers and the love triangle. It didn't help that I thought of the Pink Panther movies when I heard "Sűreté" mentioned.

Taste the Blood of Dracula and Dracula has Risen from the Grave
I envisioned Christopher Lee as Dracula having an intellectual presence in addition to his physical presence but these sequels beyond Horror of Dracula seemed to focus more on the latter than the former.

Bottom FTVs
Piranha 3DD
It's one thing to make a bad film, i.e. tongue in cheek, but this is a bad, bad film.

Hansel & Gretel:  Witch Hunters
Once I realized that the filmmakers were going for a modern feel with the fable I figured it would be at least a fun film. I was wrong. CGI overkill.

Red Riding Hood
Unlike Curtains I did not figure out who the baddie was until the reveal at the end -- likely due to me not really caring much at that point. My what a big waste of a film we have.

Honorable mentions
The Outing
Sometimes low budget horror can be fun horror and this film had some interesting parts in the beginning and the end. Cool lamp design -- not so cool Djinn puppet monster.

Virgin Witch
This film had the '70s eroticism that I expected in Vampyros Lesbos. Not much of a horror film but a pleasant blind buy for the Michelle sisters.

Dracula A.D. 1972
I guess this is a "love it/hate it" type film but I liked it. The modern setting gave the Hammer vampire story a little something and Stephanie Beacham and Caroline Munro were easy on the eyes.

A Decade Under the Influence
An informative documentary on From a Whisper to a Scream disc about Super 8 filming in the '70s. I chuckled at the part about creating various film production names as something a boy would do -- too true.

Favorite rewatches:  Ginger Snaps; Captain Kronos:  Vampire Hunter; and The Vampire Lovers.
Old 11-03-15, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by WillieMLF
I actually go through the entire lists thread, post-October looking for stuff that might interest me. I wish I had the time to put into making the list more visually appealing, but I have to weigh time spent making the list vs watching movies. I feel the same way regarding Comments/ thoughts/ reviews.
I used to do that all the time (so I was usually a year behind on whatever was popular 'round these parts) but lately I have just been winging it. I need to get back to reading the lists in the "off season".
Old 11-03-15, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
That one might be next on my list.

Next year I'll finish season 3 of 80s Twilight Zone. That one has been more misses than hits so far.

I have a decent list of tv shows I need to go through for future horror challenges:
Friday the 13th
Poltergeist
Thriller
The Veil
The Outer Limits - original series. This might get pulled out for the sci-fi challenge. I still want to pickup the newer version of Outer Limits sometime.
Twilight Zone - original series on blu-ray. I've seen most of these already, so it'll be last.

I managed to avoid burnout for the most part, even though Twilight Zone was really pushing it.
How does "Monsters" fare with these? I thought about picking it up but I still have 80s Twilight Zone, Tales from The Darkside (I only own Season One so fare), Tales from the Crypt (I own Seasons 1,2,3,4 so far), Eerie Indiana, Friday the 13th and Freddy's Nightmares to get through. LOL
Old 11-03-15, 12:42 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

So we haven't really firmed up how we're doing stats and who is going to tally what yet, right? And has anyone volunteered to make a results thread? And we're over 800 posts a again. Should we start a 4th thread to do all that discussion, or just continue here, or go back to the planning thread?
Old 11-03-15, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
How does "Monsters" fare with these?
I remember watching it but nothing good enough to remember about it. I found it on youtube if you wanted to check before you buy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpXx...xpGNmYAYw8Wwli
Old 11-03-15, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
I remember watching it but nothing good enough to remember about it. I found it on youtube if you wanted to check before you buy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpXx...xpGNmYAYw8Wwli
Thanks for that link. I will definitely check that out.
Old 11-03-15, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by WillieMLF
Zombies of Mass Destruction had a re-election.

Great recap with some great suggestions. Thanks Mondo
Thanks & Thanks

Originally Posted by Dimension X
The Pact (2012) was a Christmas movie also (there was a Christmas tree in the mother's house and some decorations at the police station, and I remember hearing Christmas music in the background of at least one scene).
Oh yeah, that's right. Thanks. Does anybody here own that movie? I'm really interested in picking it up now...Especially if it isn't bare-bones.
Old 11-03-15, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
The original series, on SS discs (instead of the troublesome DS ones Universal foisted upon US customers), Region 0, NTSC.
Ah... I'm ashamed to say that I may never have opened my Limits before misplacing them.. so I did not know the R1 ones were flipping doublesiders. (I wonder if I have R2 ones instead..?)
Old 11-03-15, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by wishbone

Meh FTVs
Phantom of the Opera (1943)
Horror seemed to take a back seat to the well done musical numbers and the love triangle. It didn't help that I thought of the Pink Panther movies when I heard "Sűreté" mentioned.

Bottom FTVs

Hansel & Gretel:  Witch Hunters
Once I realized that the filmmakers were going for a modern feel with the fable I figured it would be at least a fun film. I was wrong. CGI overkill.
I/we watched Phantom (43) for the first time this year. At first (like Horror of Dracula) it was just bemusing and distracting for being 'different' in plot; then I was struck by Goon/Ronnies thoughts about the shadow/silhouette, then distracted by the bumbling occasional comedy of the suitors, and lastly struck by how Claude Rains is the fourth-or-fifth man in Universal Horror, but his two major films see him invisible and masked! I wonder if that's why he's in in for the first thirty-odd minutes..? Didn't hate it, was distracted by differences.

Hansel & Gretel with Hawkeye and Gemma, though (if that's the one you watched; I think there are knockoffs) was weirdly enjoyable a year or so back. Dumb, odd, Steampunky and anachronistic with silly villainy... but the fairly earnest enjoyment of H&G just made it fly by and amuse me. I like it.
Old 11-03-15, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
And we're over 800 posts a again. Should we start a 4th thread to do all that discussion, or just continue here, or go back to the planning thread?
Just continue here. It's probably unnecessary at this point, or I'm just too lazy one.

Here's that other thread, BTW:

7 Days. 17 Featurettes. The 1st Annual November Horror Movie Extras Challenge

Old 11-03-15, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a lot of fun during the challenge despite those interruptions and bouts with feeling burnt out. I escaped again without any major damage from the curse (aside from my laptop falling out of my bag and onto the street early on in the challenge, luckily i avoided any damage). My biggest regrets besides not hitting 100 was not quite getting through the pile of movie I had to watch. I really wanted to finish them.

I'll be checking out other lists over the next few days and seeing what I missed! My annual stats/wrap-up post will come later this month as I'm still on a break from horror

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.