Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-15, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

My list is final.

Because I already won a prize pack, which I can't wait to open when it arrives, please exclude me from the drawings.

Last edited by Gobear; 11-01-15 at 10:10 PM.
Old 11-01-15, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

My list is final as well.
Old 11-01-15, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Lists are due 11/7.

This is if you wanna be eligible for certain prize categories -- 50 & under, 100 & under, the optional lists, and whatever else I'm forgetting.

Another reminder that I'm unable to do the results thread.

Best List Voting.

Gonna have to scrap the category if we don't get more.

Winners Addresses are due 11/10.

If you already own some of the prizes, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

As usual, there's no guarantee that I can accommodate your request.

And if you say Manos, I'll know you're lying.

Old 11-01-15, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Professional and personal obligations caused me to stall out after watching The Terror last week. I ended October asleep in front of the television. This was definitely my weakest showing in the seven years that I've been a participant. Getting older, I suppose...
Old 11-01-15, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Still recovering from the early morning---I'll finalize my list tomorrow.

Originally Posted by mightysparks
This year featuring a lot of fire and smoke/mist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmhA7Rbc2Jk
I gasped out loud when the Castel Twins appeared. Those gals just.....Have some effect on me.

And I could easily ask you what clip is so-and-so from, but part of the charm for me is to just go through your list and and take wild guesses (And it causes for future rentals)
I'll try to have my vid up by tomorrow night.

Originally Posted by Chad
And if you say Manos, I'll know you're lying.
Old 11-01-15, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Still trying to figure out what happened to the month of October... it was a blast.
Old 11-02-15, 12:17 AM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

Ok, my list is final.

Overall this was a great challenge, saw a lot of films I really liked and only ran into a few clunkers. I had 100% first time views, but I still have about a dozen more I didn't get to. Now back to the real world and trying to get caught up on everything I let slide for the past 31 days....
Old 11-02-15, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Surfinhank
Ok, my list is final.

Overall this was a great challenge, saw a lot of films I really liked and only ran into a few clunkers. I had 100% first time views, but I still have about a dozen more I didn't get to. Now back to the real world and trying to get caught up on everything I let slide for the past 31 days....
Yeah, I spent part of the day cleaning out the refrigerator, folding laundry, and sorting the mail that had piled on the coffee table.

I had a great challenge and watched some seminal films that I'd never seen, including A Nightmare on Elm Street and Halloween. Both were wonderful! I also watched the anime Ghost Hunt and got a rewatch of Buffy the Vampire Slayer started.
Old 11-02-15, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I've got formats, and equipment failures done, and have started decades.
Old 11-02-15, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

My list is finalized here: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/12580448-post39.html

MY VOTES FOR BEST LIST

1. SterlingBen - Best overall content and presentaion
2. Undeadcow - Nice capsule reviews
3. Surfinhank - Slick presentation and sums up thoughts with a couple of words nicely.

The general quality of most other lists has decreased in quality and content over the years. Most are just tossed off quickly with little attention to presentation and only concerned with getting to 100 or more titles. Also, just listing films is kind of boring.
Old 11-02-15, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by indiephantom
The general quality of most other lists has decreased in quality and content over the years. Most are just tossed off quickly with little attention to presentation and only concerned with getting to 100 or more titles. Also, just listing films is kind of boring.
Over the years we seem to just be concentrating more on discussion rather than lists. I know it takes a long time to do a pretty, content rich list, and I'd rather spend that time watching movies.

My preference is to get more discussion involved in the discussion threads, and then not even have a "Best List" category. Everyone's list can still be whatever; I look and read through them occasionally. More when their final.

I'd say scratch Best List and replace it with an additional "all" category. More "everybody" prizes should entice some more participants, which hopefully would create more discussion over all.
Old 11-02-15, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,076 Likes on 651 Posts

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
Over the years we seem to just be concentrating more on discussion rather than lists. I know it takes a long time to do a pretty, content rich list, and I'd rather spend that time watching movies.

My preference is to get more discussion involved in the discussion threads, and then not even have a "Best List" category. Everyone's list can still be whatever; I look and read through them occasionally. More when their final.

I'd say scratch Best List and replace it with an additional "all" category. More "everybody" prizes should entice some more participants, which hopefully would create more discussion over all.
I totally agree with all of the above. I struggle to see as many movies as I can. Why the fuck do I want to spend an hour or more a day making my list "look pretty?" It takes enough time just to keep up with a list. If you want to waste the time making it look pretty, great for you. But I find it a waste of time and tend to just look at what people watched. Not how much color, pretty pictures, or what they ate and drank while watching the movie. If I want that, I will make an account on Facebook.

Those are some of the reasons why I never cast a vote for "best list."
Old 11-02-15, 07:54 AM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

My list is finalized. I finished with 89, watched every subset film (all 34), watched every theme (all 34) and completed the checklist without any duplications. It was a good month but I watched too many repeat viewings because of the subset films and some of the challenge films. I have to reconsider my approach for next year.
Old 11-02-15, 08:31 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I totally agree with all of the above. I struggle to see as many movies as I can. Why the fuck do I want to spend an hour or more a day making my list "look pretty?" It takes enough time just to keep up with a list. If you want to waste the time making it look pretty, great for you. But I find it a waste of time and tend to just look at what people watched. Not how much color, pretty pictures, or what they ate and drank while watching the movie. If I want that, I will make an account on Facebook.

I, in a surprise to nobody, go back and forth on this. In a perfect world I'd spend a minute or two per film to write comments and pretty up my entry. But in reality, that usually doesn't get down.

And while I love looking at all the lists, I can't get mad at people for not being all fancy pants with it if I don't either.

But I do love when people leave comments on what they watch, even what they eat and drink while watching. After all, if we don't talk about our lives and share with each other, then what's the point of the forum?

And while I fully support the "best list" vote, perhaps another cool vote would be something like "best participant". I'd rather people be cool to each other and communicate in all the discussion threads and have a plain list, than have a fancy list and never post.
Old 11-02-15, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

My list is finalized and I sent my best list vote.
Old 11-02-15, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by indiephantom
I usually try to write a comment next to the movie title, like you did in your list (look back at some of my old lists), but some years I don't find the time to do it. This was one of those years. I doubt it ruined anyone's year to not have the chance to read me make a joke about how WolfCop is about a cop who becomes a werewolf and "takes a bite outta crime."

Last edited by Dimension X; 11-02-15 at 09:52 AM.
Old 11-02-15, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,076 Likes on 651 Posts

My list and stats are complete at at total of 89 entries. I hate getting so close to 100 and not hitting it but there was a lot going on at the first and middle of this month and I lost at least a week of evenings total of not being able to watch anything. So 89 is pretty good for all I had going on in my opinion. You sure I can't count my September viewings??? Just kidding.

Anyway, I am not hating on the people who have pretty lists. I am just not going to hate on the people who don't. If you have the time to do it and want to, great. But when it comes down to it, I am looking over people's lists for ideas for me to watch in the future that I may have not heard of or never have seen. I prefer they put at least a rating and/or a short comment about it but if not, I still am just going to use their list to get some ideas. I skipped doing a lot of comments this year just do to time.

To be honest, I prefer the lists that just have the titles and a rating. All the other junk just gets in the way of what I am looking for. But that's just me. Or maybe I am just jealous of the people who have the pretty lists.
Old 11-02-15, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

My list is finished. Sorry that I couldn't do more. OT at work interfered a lot. Could of had 6-10 more.
But....Well my list is finished. Now it's on to that Dracula book!
Old 11-02-15, 11:15 AM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

I agree with this. I do skim through lists along the way, but (sorry, blasphemy) at times it's hard to find the content in the midst of all the images, colors, extra stuff around the actual films watched.

[Which is not why I don't do that; frankly, I'm always a bit too busy most years to do other than just a boring list. When I do have time I try to keep up with the discussions.]

That said, I'll give a tip of the hat to Cardsfan111's great spooky top image. Who knew hugs could be so scary...?
Old 11-02-15, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
But I do love when people leave comments on what they watch, even what they eat and drink while watching. After all, if we don't talk about our lives and share with each other, then what's the point of the forum?

And while I fully support the "best list" vote, perhaps another cool vote would be something like "best participant". I'd rather people be cool to each other and communicate in all the discussion threads and have a plain list, than have a fancy list and never post.
Agree with this. I visit forums mainly to recognize and learn from the personalities and tastes of the posters.

This discussion does bring up interesting points, though. But I think BEST LIST is a great category and does encourage those who want to do more, to do it!
Old 11-02-15, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Well, I closed out with a bang--one of the best first-time viewings of the entire challenge: THE DEVIL'S BRIDE (1968), a Hammer film starring Christopher Lee (as a good guy!) and directed by Terence Fisher. Lee plays a French nobleman in England in 1929 who tries to save a friend's son from a diabolical ring of devil worshippers led by Charles Gray (great villain!). It's one of the best treatments of occult lore I've ever seen in a film and Lee says in an interview (in the book The Films of Christopher Lee) that he acted as technical adviser on the film because of his own extensive knowledge and research into occult practices. Who knew? Richard Matheson wrote the screenplay.

I saw that picture, and recognized the movie right away. I watched it this month, but under another name, The Devil Rides Out. This was in my UK import Ultimate Hammer box. Great flick!
Old 11-02-15, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

A new family moved in a few months ago, and their kids have been a focal point for ALL the neighborhood kids. We got hammered by dozens of kids this Halloween. Must have been over 30 in groups of 5-6 kids/wave. Finished with 74 for the month, and that was a lot for me.
Old 11-02-15, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

My list is finalized. I used to do more with mini reviews etc. but now just try to record the info, though I do like how this challenge forces me to include decades and the like. I did reach a personal high, and hitting nine different decades was my single nod to OCD.

Thanks to Chad for all his work on this, and to all discussion participants.

Challenges participated in: 6th
Total views: 33
First-time views (including TV episodes): 26.75
Formats viewed: BD, DVD, Comcast on demand, Amazon Video rental
Decades watched: 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000s, 2010s
Personal goal: Set a new high ACHIEVED!
Favorite first-time views: House of Wax (1953), Dracula (1931), It Follows (2014), Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978), The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll (1960)

Originally Posted by Shack
That said, I'll give a tip of the hat to Cardsfan111's great spooky top image. Who knew hugs could be so scary...?
I stole this image, and my coulrophobe Facebook friends loved it!
Old 11-02-15, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite

I feel similar. After programming for years, the last thing I want to do is go home and have anything to do with coding or even be on a computer other than to check a couple things.

I'm surprised I watched as much as I did but I found myself getting back into Freddy's Nightmares. I remember finishing season 1 last year and it was getting bad. The second season picked up some, other than a bad episode here or there. It still wasn't really amazing but it was good enough to marathon through.

I liked how they'd have a few characters that would show up again to continue their stories, including a couple episodes starring Wally from Leave it to Beaver turning into a cannibal and continuing from there.

The only episode I didn't really care for was one where a lady moved into an apartment and found some letters in the wall that talked about an affair a guy was having a long time ago. That one just felt out of place compared to the other.
Old 11-02-15, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
I feel similar. After programming for years, the last thing I want to do is go home and have anything to do with coding or even be on a computer other than to check a couple things.

I'm surprised I watched as much as I did but I found myself getting back into Freddy's Nightmares. I remember finishing season 1 last year and it was getting bad. The second season picked up some, other than a bad episode here or there. It still wasn't really amazing but it was good enough to marathon through.

I liked how they'd have a few characters that would show up again to continue their stories, including a couple episodes starring Wally from Leave it to Beaver turning into a cannibal and continuing from there.

The only episode I didn't really care for was one where a lady moved into an apartment and found some letters in the wall that talked about an affair a guy was having a long time ago. That one just felt out of place compared to the other.

Maybe it was my mood, but I had trouble getting back into Friday the 13: The Series, even though I was looking forward to seeing it again.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.