Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-15, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
My only qualm was I think the:

Spoiler:
Deadites return could have been better than Ash smoking weed and being stoned reciting the words from the book
That was the best part!

Also Dick I remember your anti-Stuff comments, they still befuddle me to this day. I am glad you finally came around.
Old 11-01-15, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Also Dick I remember your anti-Stuff comments, they still befuddle me to this day. I am glad you finally came around.
Yeah, I must have been off or something that year. I swear it was like a completely different movie this time. It does have a sorta cold start, where you're just dropped right into it. I think that kinda throws people. Maybe it did me. Whatever it was, I'm glad I came around too.
Old 11-01-15, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
It probably was. I've noticed in this day and age, instead of the religious folks and mothers with too much time on their hands that used to cry about saving the children , that I used to have to listen to as a kid, had all their kids grow up to be terrified of life and reality.

It's not just Halloween but I see it at work with parents calling in for their kids or writing scholarship essays for them.

I used to play ingress and I've seen more than a few young adults getting scared that a portal was linked to a school because they think it's scary for someone to stand outside a school, on the sidewalk, to hack(basically check in) the portal. They say if they see someone doing that, they think they're creepy child molesters. This is what happens when you watch to much crime dramas on tv.

At work they released an email saying people shouldn't wear historically inaccurate costumes. The first thing that came to my mind was that meant any girl I see wearing a toga, which isn't going to be historically accurate in the first place, is the same garment whores wore in those days and not proper ladies.

I liked it better when people weren't so sensitive and taking things personally, especially when it doesn't even have anything to do with them and they feel the need to protect some group that apparently can't protect themselves.
The stupidly extreme PC world we now have as a result of overly-protective groups designed to "help" others "lift themselves up" and "protect" others "rights" frighten me more than any of the horror films I've ever seen.
Old 11-01-15, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

I know it's peanuts around here, but I'm happy with finishing up at 56. With work, life, and wanting to watch some sports (NFL, college football, World Series) 100 just isn't realistic.

Watching Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors, a question came to me (that internet searching has not helped with). What happened to the career of Chuck Russell?!?! After 2002's Scorpion King (which made money), his credits practically stop. And I can't find any reason why. I might've though he just decided to leave the industry (he could've made enough money with his hits to retire and do whatever he wants) but I still see his name attached to projects. Just nothing ever gets made (except for an episode of Fringe). It does look like production is underway of a John Travolta movie that would come out in 2016.
Old 11-01-15, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

I was all set to count the documentary The Nightmare as a wildcard when I started watching, figuring it would get into the medical/scientific details of night terrors. Except it never does, drawing the conclusion that night terrors really are the work of demons/monsters. Wildcard saved!
Old 11-01-15, 01:29 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
I'd like to take a moment to get serious about something that has plagued me for the last three years. During OHMC #8 I watched The Stuff and was adamantly against its every fiber of production. This of course did not make me a popular person around these parts (which was actually pretty funny in context ). But now, I understand...
I've always believed that one's appreciation of anything is extremely colored by their mood and other factors at the time of viewing. You might hate something on readings/viewings one and three, but love them on two and four.
Old 11-01-15, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Trying to stay awake to watch my imported Arrow BD of The 'Burbs. Hey, my clock just changed from 1:59 to 1:00...
How do you like the supplementals of that Blu-Ray? I love the movie on DVD and might consider upgrading. Is the new cut worth checking out?

I was up before dawn as is normal for this time of year, so I finished up Tucker and Dale that I started last night and watched Monster Squad. I think I actually like Tucker and Dale more on second viewing than I did the first.

All in all, this was an interesting challenge for me this year. I got high numbers(for me) but still missed a lot of movies that I intended to watch. I finished with 117 movies and 76 first time views.
My wife was recovering from surgery most of the month, so I spent a lot of time in the same room watching on my laptop while she read so I could be available. I also watched a lot of movies on my phone waiting for her to get off work so I could drive her home. I'm not sure if I've ever watched so much online as opposed to physical media. I might have to invest in putting more movies on UV for next year.
The best part of the challenge this year was that I introduced my wife to several of my favorite horror movies. And I think she *enjoyed* all of them and even liked a few. Hope I can set aside the time to partake next year as I look forward in what it has to offer.

Last edited by exharrison; 11-01-15 at 02:18 PM.
Old 11-01-15, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I've always believed that one's appreciation of anything is extremely colored by their mood and other factors at the time of viewing. You might hate something on readings/viewings one and three, but love them on two and four.
Yep. And when I'm thinking specifically about horror, it's much more likely I might enjoy something early in the month of October, rather than later when I'm running on fumes, so to speak. I keep that mind when I consider whether giving something another chance.
Old 11-01-15, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Agreed. That is why to this day I still love Dawn of the Dead(both) and Shaun of the Dead so much. I watched the three of them like a week after I got dumped and those three watched nearly back to back helped me get out of the funk. Shaun will probably always be funnier than it really is because of how much funnier it was than anything in real life was to me at the time.

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
Yep. And when I'm thinking specifically about horror, it's much more likely I might enjoy something early in the month of October, rather than later when I'm running on fumes, so to speak. I keep that mind when I consider whether giving something another chance.
I have the same problem. That is why I peppered in a lot of horror comedies here and there and increasing quantities towards the end of the month. Especially watching a lot of my favorites for the last week. Helped keep me a little fresher throughout.
Old 11-01-15, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just finished watching Ash vs The Evil Dead. So far so good except I noticed Ash used his wooden hand to close the car door at one point, being able to bend his hand at the wrist.
Old 11-01-15, 03:24 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by exharrison
I have the same problem. That is why I peppered in a lot of horror comedies here and there and increasing quantities towards the end of the month. Especially watching a lot of my favorites for the last week. Helped keep me a little fresher throughout.
That's a good idea. Will try to remember that in the future, as my soul was dead the last couple of days.
Old 11-01-15, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
True very true. The first time I watched the 1988 version of The Blob I thought it was a lousy movie. When I watched it last year I loved it.

When I watched Tucker and Dale last year (made to it the comedy challenge list but too late for the horror) I did not enjoy it as much as much as I did this year (3rd viewing of it). There have been other movies that I watched when running on fumes that I did not like but after a later rewatch my opinion of them improved. Horror Express and The Terror are two I watched this year that improved greatly on a second viewing.
Old 11-01-15, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's a good idea. Will try to remember that in the future, as my soul was dead the last couple of days.
I'm also extra high maintenance because Horror Comedy is my favorite kind of Horror in general. And it was my gateway drug that brought me into this madness.
Old 11-01-15, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

This new neighborhood I moved to is no joke when it turns 8:00 PM. It's like someone turned off the switch for Trick-or-Treaters. This year I made a separate bowl for peanut free candies. Actually came in handy a few times. Got more complements than alergic Treaters, but I guess that's actually a good thing.

Happy Halloween!
My daughter would love you. She gets the saddest look on her face when she walks away from a house that has given out Snickers or something. She still accepts it and says thank you , but then gives me a bag of peanut filled candy at the end of the night. Good for me, bad for her.
Old 11-01-15, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm also extra high maintenance because Horror Comedy is my favorite kind of Horror in general. And it was my gateway drug that brought me into this madness.
The more I think about it the clearer it becomes, the Treehouse of Horror episodes and the Scary Movies - especially 1-3, helped build my interest in Horror.
Old 11-01-15, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by CrazyMat
The more I think about it the clearer it becomes, the Treehouse of Horror episodes and the Scary Movies - especially 1-3, helped build my interest in Horror.
I think for me it was Army of Darkness. I always enjoyed Treehouse of Horror as a kid, but I think it was Army of Darkness that actually pulled me in. I remember I wasn't going to watch it because I didn't think I liked horror movies. And then later I couldn't find anything on tv, so I watched what was left of it and then found out that it was the third movie and had to explore it. And then I fell down that rabbit hole...
Old 11-01-15, 04:31 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Unfortunately the last week of work was hell and there was rarely a second that didn't involve it. I did manage to get a few in last night, once I update my list I think I will be at 101 or 102 which blows my goal of 60 out of the water. My other goal was to watch all my unwatched horror blu-rays, I failed bad a that and actually tripled my horror unwatched titles this month, whoops.
Old 11-01-15, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How do you like the supplementals of that Blu-Ray? I love the movie on DVD and might consider upgrading. Is the new cut worth checking out?
Oh, my... the supplements on this baby are a beast. They did some very intensive rescanning and restoration with the cooperation of Joe Dante. I haven't dug into all the goodies yet, but the first thing I'm going to check out is the original workprint transfer from Joe Dante's personal collection. It's the first time this version has been released to home video. Love this movie. It will be nice to see the version that the director has been holding onto all these years.
Old 11-01-15, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wound up watching The Thing With Two Heads on the ThisTV network in the morning. It was a first time viewing, and kind of fun, though they went overboard with the big chase scene going on and on.

Then later in the evening, I watched Evil Dead 2 on Blu-ray, and then was going to watch the international version(for the first time) of Army of Darkness on blu-ray, but was too tired, that ten minutes into the movie, I turned it off and went to bed. Having to get up at 6 a.m. yesterday didn't help, so I was exhausted by the time I began Evil Dead 2 around 9 p.m, but happy I was able to make it through that film before sleep overpowered me.

At least I got in two more movies, even though the first one was a random unplanned viewing I just happened to catch on TV while flipping channels and planning to work on editing my short project. So I got a total of 14 viewings in, despite hoping to watch more. But life kept me busy and got in the way, but at least I had stuff to do, so that was fine.
Old 11-01-15, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

My stupid crappy list is finalized.
Old 11-01-15, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh, my... the supplements on this baby are a beast. They did some very intensive rescanning and restoration with the cooperation of Joe Dante. I haven't dug into all the goodies yet, but the first thing I'm going to check out is the original workprint transfer from Joe Dante's personal collection. It's the first time this version has been released to home video. Love this movie. It will be nice to see the version that the director has been holding onto all these years.
I introduced my wife to it this year during the challenge. While I think she liked other movies I watched with her better, I think she was able to appreciate the style and humor of it.

The workprint thing. Is it common for a director to hold onto a cut of the film in his personal collection? Or does that say something about things he had to cut out of it?
Old 11-01-15, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The workprint thing. Is it common for a director to hold onto a cut of the film in his personal collection? Or does that say something about things he had to cut out of it?
I wouldn't say it's all that common, but the only ones we hear about are the ones that garner legendary status, such as Apocalypse Now and most famously, Blade Runner. I wouldn't expect The 'Burbs to be something held onto in "secret" only to turn up on BD many decades later, but I'm not complaining.
Old 11-01-15, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobear
There will be half-off candy everywhere tomorrow.
Well, 50% at Walmart, 30% at Target. I got candy for months now. No need to have a kid to drag him around for hours with maybe a half bag of candy when I can work in that time and end up buying tons of bag of candy the next day lol.

Watched a lot of unopened DVDs and blu-rays, so from last year and this year, got hours upon hours of special features I have to get through along with a month of TV shows to catch up on and the NBA season is here. Plus PS4 games. So much to do haha.

When is the list due anyways?
Old 11-01-15, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Think this may have be first year I was able to complete checklist and all of the theme nights. Finished at 62.
Old 11-01-15, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I'll probably have my list finalized within the week. I have to get the oomph to use the computer.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.