Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Old 10-27-15, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by CrazyMat
The ending of Tales from the Crypt (1972) might be scary to some people (I guess its all just a matter of their beliefs). The exorcist did not scare me at all, the original Evil Dead (a good movie) has some scary parts but I would not consider it overwhelmingly scary. The scarier stuff to me is something that could happen. I watched The Strangers (2008) back in September and found it to be unsettling. The original Nightmare on Elm Street is somewhat scary. The ending of the Wicker Man is unsettling.

Disclaimer at one point in time most horror movies used to scare me but during these past 10 years or so I have gotten to the point where it takes a lot to actually leave me feeling scared.
It takes a lot for me to be scared too. Nightmare doesn't do it anymore. I do agree the ending of Wicker Man was unsettling. For The Strangers, couldn't do it. The acting and story just kind of fell flat. I liked In Their Skin better for a FTV a while back. That was a better story and acting. And seeing what the director of Strangers did later (Mockingbird) his stuff just falls flat. I felt it could have been a lot scarier as it is an amazing premise.
Old 10-27-15, 02:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by jacob_b
I liked In Their Skin better for a FTV a while back.
Thanks I'll have to watch that sometimes
Old 10-27-15, 05:07 AM

Received 503 Likes on 364 Posts

Here's a few tips for anyone streaming werewolf movies for today's theme.

Black Sheep (today's subset pick) - I was going to get this at Vudu, but they have the incorrect aspect ratio (1.85:1 open matte). The version posted at DailyMotion is the correct aspect ratio (2.35:1) and looks really good. And you can watch it on the Roku with the DailyMotion channel.

Cursed - Amazon Prime has the correct OAR version (2.35:1). Netflix (and Vudu) both have the cropped version (1.85:1).

An American Werewolf in London - Amazon Prime has the HD Widescreen version (1.85:1). Shudder has a Fullscreen video (open matte) and it looks SD-quality.
Old 10-27-15, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,011 Likes on 616 Posts

Originally Posted by DEEveeDEE3
Hey guys!
Has anyone seen or it may been posted about it already, Game Changer: The Legacy of Saw is a new 77 minute documentary ? Just found out this weekend. Says it's iTunes and on SAW: THE COMPLETE COLLECTION? Which I have but I bought it last year. This Doc is from this year. This will be a good entry to add.
I will have to check that out. I just finished up the Saw series last night. I watched all seven in the last several days which I have never done before. I can tell you that it isn't in my Saw: The Complete Collection on BD. That set is as bare bones as you can get. Pick the movie and if you want subtitles. That's it. Not even a chapter selection option. But for the money I paid for it, I can't complain.

I am not a huge fan of the Saw series but it is amazing how well they tied them all together. Some of the "games" are completely cringe/look-away worthy and all the effects are well done.

I sat there wondering what fucked up people thought up these situations. now I need to watch that to get my answer.
Old 10-27-15, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For you sickos out there, I just noticed that Netflix has The Human Centipede 3: Final Sequence up for streaming.
Old 10-27-15, 07:06 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobear
If you have Netflix, check out Starry Eyes. I don't scare easily, and this freaked me out.
Thanks, added to my queue; although given the number of films I have in there, and the stack of BDs by my player, it might be six years until I get to it.
Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
While it seems like this is the time when most participants pull out the big guns and watch high-profile horror movies, it's when I spend less time in front of the TV and start to finalize my outdoor decorations. I had to try to go out all-out this year (For my small yard) because Halloween-nights on a *clear, saturday night is just too rare in my neck of the woods. *Yeah, the forecast changed it's mind in case anyone remembers my last post concerning the weather. It's expected to be clear skies that night (Yippee!) Pics/gifs if anyone's interested:
Great job MK!
Originally Posted by Chad
I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. But I actually didn't find it near as bad as I was led to believe.
Yeah, Vampire in Brooklyn wasn't quite the clunker I expected either.
Originally Posted by shadokitty
Congrats Kabluie
Amen!
Originally Posted by davidh777
Didn't help my numbers, but I saw a stage production of Dracula on Saturday. It was well done, and put me in the mood to watch the Universal classic, hopefully this week, of course.
definitely count that as one!
Congrats, terrycloth!
Yes, congrats Terry! I'm nearing four years now. Marriage is by far the hardest thing I've ever done/do, but also by far the most rewarding.
Originally Posted by Spiderbite
For you sickos out there, I just noticed that Netflix has The Human Centipede 3: Final Sequence up for streaming.
Well, I saw the first two, might as well continue the punishment.
Old 10-27-15, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor
Well, I saw the first two, might as well continue the punishment.
Yeah. I am in the same boat. But I try to watch movies like this when my wife and kid aren't at home. I would hate for either one of them to stumble into some of the scenes in movies like this.
Old 10-27-15, 07:25 AM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Come on guys. I know you all have some favorite scary movies. I want the most scary, leaves you feeling scared, leave the lights on movies. I want to jam back Thursday-Saturday with them as I took the week off of work to end this right.

the exorcist still freaks me out. i can also recommend Session 9. Its a creepy film. Ive heard that the new film "we are still here" has its creepy moments although i havent seen it yet.
Old 10-27-15, 08:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only film that has ever really scared me was The Evil Dead when I watched it when I was 7. I still think it's the scariest movie ever made. Winkies in Mulholland Dr is the scariest scene ever. And the Zelda stuff in Pet Sematary still creeps me out. But that's about it
Old 10-27-15, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

As for the never-ending Frankenhooker talk, it's on-demand on Showtime. Is that how it's discussion started?
1. When in doubt, blame Trevor.

2. And it is a perennial prize - possibly because (3).

3. And/Or it's just a very worthy-of-praise film.
Old 10-27-15, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by mightysparks
The only film that has ever really scared me was The Evil Dead when I watched it when I was 7. I still think it's the scariest movie ever made.
This was going to be the year I got to Evil Dead, but it seems to have scarpered from Hulu, and my DVDs that turned up in August (hidden behind books) have wandered off again...

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Cursed - Amazon Prime has the correct OAR version (2.35:1). Netflix (and Vudu) both have the cropped version (1.85:1).

An American Werewolf in London - Amazon Prime has the HD Widescreen version (1.85:1).
Thanks for the reminder - almost forgot those two today.

Last edited by ntnon; 10-27-15 at 09:35 AM.
Old 10-27-15, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Come on guys. I know you all have some favorite scary movies. I want the most scary, leaves you feeling scared, leave the lights on movies. I want to jam back Thursday-Saturday with them as I took the week off of work to end this right.
Originally Posted by Gobear
If you have Netflix, check out Starry Eyes. I don't scare easily, and this freaked me out.

and last year's Black Mirror Christmas special with Jon Hamm, which was a brilliant piece of sci-fi/horror that left me shaking.
Starry Eyes freaked me out a little bit. The Loved Ones, and Red, White and Blue have both stuck with me for a while....
Old 10-27-15, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

While it seems like this is the time when most participants pull out the big guns and watch high-profile horror movies, it's when I spend less time in front of the TV and start to finalize my outdoor decorations. I had to try to go out all-out this year (For my small yard) because Halloween-nights on a *clear, saturday night is just too rare in my neck of the woods. *Yeah, the forecast changed it's mind in case anyone remembers my last post concerning the weather. It's expected to be clear skies that night (Yippee!) Pics/gifs if anyone's interested:
Spoiler:

^I actually love that little spirit-cauldron the most. Anybody else have decorations to show? I noticed that graves/tombstones were hugely popular this year...At least in my neighborhood.

I'm also about to get busy on that annual compilation video. I chose a different task this year: Films by chronological order in year of release. This means that I basically have to wait til the last minute to make the timeline proper. It'll be worth it though. I don't see too many horror-compilation vids take this route before.
Lastly, I'm making yet another "Party" DVD for my post Trick-or-Treat get-together. This is the 3rd one I've made and hopefully the last (Highly doubtful)
So yeah, busy times coming up!
Those are some great decorations. Love the 'wolfman' and that witch. Gotta see if I can find something better. We trimmed out the front bushes last year, so the cobwebs are looking pretty sad. Kingdom of the Spiders go me thinking about a web encased porch.

Congrats Kabluie!
Old 10-27-15, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

I don't know how much I'll get in the next few days. My mom is having knee surgery today, so not in the mood for horror, so just watching what I want,. And when I resume the challenge all depends on when she starts to feel better and I can concentrate on it.
Old 10-27-15, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CrazyMat
I actually liked the first sideshow Bob segment I thought it was horror/comedy and somewhat resembled the older ones. The second segment Homerzilla had some potential but did not quite reach it. The third one were they tried to parody Chronicle is were it hit bottom I.M.O. (yet another parody of a non horror movie)
I was never a fan of Sideshow Bob, so I didn't expect to like that one. Never saw Chronicle, so it just seemed like another generic telekinesis one that they'd done before.

I tried watching It Follows but couldn't get past the first 2 minutes. I'd heard the beginning was the best part and then later on the movie would establish rules that would be broken left and right.

The only thing I got out of it was a bunch of bad acting.
Spoiler:
You have the girl running out, down the sidewalk and out to the middle of the street. Something obviously isn't right but the neighbor seems to shrug it off pretty easy. Then she decides she's going back home but does some stupid lap around the camera by finishing the crossing of the street, down the sidewalk, then across the street back to her house, instead of just going back the way she came.

I know she was supposed to be distraught while driving the car but it just seemed as poorly acted as the previous scene. Then she's in the headlights and I turned it off.

I have no desire to revisit this best part of the entire film.

And one of the things I'm working my way through now is VHS. I don't get the hype around it, along with how it takes place in this day and age yet they're still using a VHS camcorder. I thought it was just taking place in the past when kids were using those cameras to vandalize homes but then the stories we watch show modern day cell phones. That's what's normally used these days.

As for the stories, the first was okay, the second was dumb, the third had a neat idea but the execution wasn't good. Then I double checked how much is left and realized this movie is at least 20 minutes too long. I'm going to finish this but I don't see it getting much better, let alone good enough to want to watch the sequels. I had a better time watching Curse of the Blue Lights.
Old 10-27-15, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 169 Likes on 119 Posts

I'm looking forward to watching The Wolf Man tonight with Lon Chaney, Jr. which will complete all eight movies of the Universal Monsters set for this horror challenge. After that will be one of my faves Ginger Snaps and maybe Red Riding Hood for an FTV.
Old 10-27-15, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by ntnon
1. When in doubt, blame Trevor.

2. And it is a perennial prize - possibly because (3).

3. And/Or it's just a very worthy-of-praise film.
Ok ok! Maybe I just wasn't in the right mood that day I watched it. I'll try to bump it up the queue for this week. I'm almost hoping I like it this time, so as not to lose even more 'cred' around here.

But really, I'm the only one that hates it?
Originally Posted by ntnon
Thanks for the reminder - almost forgot those two today.
Yes, and another good one for today is Late Phases. I don't think I had heard about it before today, and went in not expecting much, but I loved it!
Originally Posted by shadokitty
I don't know how much I'll get in the next few days. My mom is having knee surgery today, so not in the mood for horror, so just watching what I want,. And when I resume the challenge all depends on when she starts to feel better and I can concentrate on it.
You'll be back in 3 and a half hours. Hope the surgery goes well.
Old 10-27-15, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I will have to check that out. I just finished up the Saw series last night. I watched all seven in the last several days which I have never done before. I can tell you that it isn't in my Saw: The Complete Collection on BD. That set is as bare bones as you can get. Pick the movie and if you want subtitles. That's it. Not even a chapter selection option. But for the money I paid for it, I can't complain.

I am not a huge fan of the Saw series but it is amazing how well they tied them all together. Some of the "games" are completely cringe/look-away worthy and all the effects are well done.

I sat there wondering what fucked up people thought up these situations. now I need to watch that to get my answer.
I don't have it on my set either. Guess it's on the newer ones.
It doesn't feel like a full Halloween until we see a saw movie. I went to see the original one in theater for the 10 year anniversary last year and added it as an entry for the challenge.

Here is a clip of that new 70 minute Saw Doc.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x39...ole_shortfilms
Old 10-27-15, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
I tried watching It Follows but couldn't get past the first 2 minutes. I'd heard the beginning was the best part and then later on the movie would establish rules that would be broken left and right.
It's not a perfect film, but if you watched a few more minutes that opening would make perfect sense.
Old 10-27-15, 10:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, and another good one for today is Late Phases. I don't think I had heard about it before today, and went in not expecting much, but I loved it!
I also watched Late Phases today, but didn't go crazy over it. I liked the main dude, I thought the character was interesting and the acting was good but the rest of the film just had no tension or anything of any interest.
Old 10-27-15, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

I'm having my seventh best year so far with 14.5 entries!

Go me!!!!!!
Old 10-27-15, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

You'll be back in 3 and a half hours. Hope the surgery goes well.
Do you think, since I enjoy horror, the challenge will help get me through it? I'm seriously thinking of abandoning the challenge and doing a combination of comedy pre challenge and what I normally watch.
Old 10-27-15, 10:43 AM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The mailman just dropped off so many boxes, this is the biggest new release Tuesday ever for me, so glad my fiancee was at work when it was delivered. Would anyone consider Mulholland Dr. countable? I've looked online and see different opinions.

Also, the new Ghostbusters: The Ultimate Visual History book is pretty great, for those Ghostbusters fans, haven't watched anything all morning because of it.
Old 10-27-15, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by bse
Would anyone consider Mulholland Dr. countable? I've looked online and see different opinions.
It's not an unreasonable count. If you want to watch it, I'd say go ahead. A lot of Lynch movies have this disturbing and unsettling tone that are tangentially horror. Even though Eraserhead and Lost Highway are the two that I would consider outright horror movies.

Has anyone else seen Takashi Miike's As the Gods Will? He's so prolific that I've kind of lost track of his filmography. And I'm tired of seeing him make samurai and yakuza movies. This one ... it's certainly something different! Doll-like aliens hijack the world's high schools, forcing students to play variations of common children's games. Except in these, the losers die horribly. Overlong, rather silly at times, and by the end not completely satisfying. But still worth it for fans of gory, weird, cinema (especially Miike's stranger movies like Fudoh, Ichii, Visitor Q, Happiness of the Katakuris, etc).
Old 10-27-15, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bse
The mailman just dropped off so many boxes, this is the biggest new release Tuesday ever for me, so glad my fiancee was at work when it was delivered. Would anyone consider Mulholland Dr. countable? I've looked online and see different opinions.

Also, the new Ghostbusters: The Ultimate Visual History book is pretty great, for those Ghostbusters fans, haven't watched anything all morning because of it.
If you find someplace that says horror, that should be good enough. I've specifically seen that one on horror lists at websites before, so you're fine.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.