Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-15, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by Gobear
The changes from the novel were due to John Balderston's edit of the Hamilton Deane play. The name changes were put in to prevent Bram Stoker's widow Florence from suing the producers as she did the producers of Nosferatu, which she almost wiped from existence.

The movie is basically the stage play. The camera is locked down and you'll note that the blocking is for theater and not cinema.
Thanks for that. I knew it was adapted from the stage play, but I'd always assumed (maybe read, maybe not) that because of the play and the Nosferatu situation, Mrs Stoker approved/licensed Dracula to Universal... was that not the case then? And - again, my underlying thought - why such minor changes: Seward, Harker and Van Helsing are there, Mina and Lucy and Count Dracula himself..

I obviously need a Universal Monsters book.
Old 10-26-15, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

All right, I'm currently at 93.5, so a nice coast to 100 seems pretty assured at this point. I guess my next goal will be to finish all of the subset films before Halloween. If I do that, at least I will have the whole day (and night) to watch whatever I want. I currently have 7 titles remaining to be watched, and I am hoping to get at least 2 out of the way today. I should be able to reach my modest goal if I don't get too distracted ...

Since I got back from my work trip, I've noticed my intensity level drop just a little bit. I've started slipping in some non-horror programming in between the scares. It has at least allowed me to get back a little bit of space on the DVR, which is really hurting. I never expected to break any personal records this year, so I'll be happy as long as I reach the 100 mark.
Old 10-26-15, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I got a late start today. Started with World's Creepiest Destinations on Travel Channel On Demand. I started watching some MacGyver on Amazon Prime, when I thought, I'm feeling down, maybe some challenge viewing would help my mood.
Old 10-26-15, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Come on guys. I know you all have some favorite scary movies. I want the most scary, leaves you feeling scared, leave the lights on movies. I want to jam back Thursday-Saturday with them as I took the week off of work to end this right.
Old 10-26-15, 07:10 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Come on guys. I know you all have some favorite scary movies. I want the most scary, leaves you feeling scared, leave the lights on movies. I want to jam back Thursday-Saturday with them as I took the week off of work to end this right.
I get scared at nearly every horror film I watch, so I'm probably not one to ask.

Anything with demonic possession seems to scare me the most, especially The Exorcist and Evil Dead.
Old 10-26-15, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
I get scared at nearly every horror film I watch, so I'm probably not one to ask.

Anything with demonic possession seems to scare me the most, especially The Exorcist and Evil Dead.
Def going to watch those two plus Trick r Treat, Halloween and Halloween 3 as I never did watch #3. Also Suspiria which I have yet to see. And Psycho and The Shinning for their legacy. But still have many hours to fill as I probably won't sleep much.
Old 10-26-15, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

If you have Netflix, check out Starry Eyes. I don't scare easily, and this freaked me out.

Also

The Conjuring
Under The Skin
The Babadook

and last year's Black Mirror Christmas special with Jon Hamm, which was a brilliant piece of sci-fi/horror that left me shaking.
Old 10-26-15, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you have Netflix, check out Starry Eyes. I don't scare easy, and this freaked me out.

Also

The Conjuring
Under The Skin

and last year's Black Mirror Christmas special with Jon Hamm, which was a brilliant piece of sci-fi/horror that left me shaking.
Already finished Conjuring, though it wasn't as good as I remembered. I do have Netflix, so will check that out. And totally forgot about Under the Skin. It is sitting right next to me unopened as I was saving it for the challenge.
Old 10-26-15, 07:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I watched Kristy for today's theme and loved it. Nothing new, but it's tense and wonderfully atmospheric with the lovely Haley Bennett in her best role yet. I can't believe the idiot studio decided to put this on Lifetime instead of releasing it proper. If it doesn't get a Blu-ray soon, I'll spring for the German edition. One of my favorite first-time views of the challenge.

I'm really behind on updating my list, so I have some catching up to do.
Old 10-26-15, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys!
Has anyone seen or it may been posted about it already, Game Changer: The Legacy of Saw is a new 77 minute documentary ? Just found out this weekend. Says it's iTunes and on SAW: THE COMPLETE COLLECTION? Which I have but I bought it last year. This Doc is from this year. This will be a good entry to add.

Last edited by DEEveeDEE3; 10-26-15 at 08:46 PM.
Old 10-26-15, 08:36 PM

If you have Netflix, check out Starry Eyes. I don't scare easily, and this freaked me out.

Also

The Conjuring
Under The Skin
The Babadook

Yes this is a good one. What really goes on behind the scenes in Hollywood. The last 20 mins are intense. Creepy too.
Old 10-26-15, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

While it seems like this is the time when most participants pull out the big guns and watch high-profile horror movies, it's when I spend less time in front of the TV and start to finalize my outdoor decorations. I had to try to go out all-out this year (For my small yard) because Halloween-nights on a *clear, saturday night is just too rare in my neck of the woods. *Yeah, the forecast changed it's mind in case anyone remembers my last post concerning the weather. It's expected to be clear skies that night (Yippee!) Pics/gifs if anyone's interested:
Spoiler:

^I actually love that little spirit-cauldron the most. Anybody else have decorations to show? I noticed that graves/tombstones were hugely popular this year...At least in my neighborhood.

I'm also about to get busy on that annual compilation video. I chose a different task this year: Films by chronological order in year of release. This means that I basically have to wait til the last minute to make the timeline proper. It'll be worth it though. I don't see too many horror-compilation vids take this route before.
Lastly, I'm making yet another "Party" DVD for my post Trick-or-Treat get-together. This is the 3rd one I've made and hopefully the last (Highly doubtful)
So yeah, busy times coming up!
Old 10-26-15, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by numbercrunch
i was checking out the list thread and to my horror i saw chad had watched A Vampire in Brooklyn

why punish yourself that way chad?
I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. But I actually didn't find it near as bad as I was led to believe.
Old 10-26-15, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

And the winner of the first trivia question is...

KaBluie

Congratulations! You're now the owner of the HamiltonBook.com Super Prize Pack #1:

Spoiler:

Courtesy of...

Old 10-26-15, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Congrats Kabluie
Old 10-26-15, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Congrats Kabluie!

Last edited by Gobear; 10-26-15 at 11:25 PM.
Old 10-26-15, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
That eerie sound effect (courtesy of Goblin?) the avocados in Contamination made is still permeating my head. Might make it my new ringtone. But it wasn't just an Italian Alien ripoff. It obviously borrowed pretty heavily, but it did at least go in it's own direction. The big creature reveal at the end wasn't even remotely what I was expecting; looked straight out of a 1950's Roger Corman flick.

And yet another film that the strings are made visible thanks to the power of Blu-ray.
That creature almost ruins Contamination for me. A shame since the first act is so convincing.

http://www.doblu.com/2015/07/07/cont...lu-ray-review/
Old 10-26-15, 11:50 PM

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
OHMC Curse got me today. 1hr and 16 minutes into The Host (Korean one). Disc rot.
I had the same thing happen last year. It happened at the layer change; couldn't get the DVD to play in any player, including my computer. I found it streaming and was able to finish it, but I made sure to buy the Blu-ray as soon as I finished watching the stream.
Old 10-27-15, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
That Treehouse of Horror was pretty bad. Highlight for me was the intro/couch deal. I think I'll skip them from now on unless I can tell beforehand if they're going to do a horror one like they used to do.
I actually liked the first sideshow Bob segment I thought it was horror/comedy and somewhat resembled the older ones. The second segment Homerzilla had some potential but did not quite reach it. The third one were they tried to parody Chronicle is were it hit bottom I.M.O. (yet another parody of a non horror movie)
Old 10-27-15, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
And the winner of the first trivia question is...

KaBluie

Congratulations! You're now the owner of the HamiltonBook.com Super Prize Pack #1:
Thank you!

I just PM'd you my address!

Now I'm gonna have to buy a Blu-Ray player!
Old 10-27-15, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
While it seems like this is the time when most participants pull out the big guns and watch high-profile horror movies, it's when I spend less time in front of the TV and start to finalize my outdoor decorations.
Spoiler:

Nice Decorations
Old 10-27-15, 12:41 AM

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by KaBluie
Thank you!

I just PM'd you my address!

Now I'm gonna have to buy a Blu-Ray player!
Congratulations - although there's no rush: looks like Frankenhooker is a DVD. Panic over!
Old 10-27-15, 01:15 AM

The ending of Tales from the Crypt (1972) might be scary to some people (I guess its all just a matter of their beliefs). The exorcist did not scare me at all, the original Evil Dead (a good movie) has some scary parts but I would not consider it overwhelmingly scary. The scarier stuff to me is something that could happen. I watched The Strangers (2008) back in September and found it to be unsettling. The original Nightmare on Elm Street is somewhat scary. The ending of the Wicker Man is unsettling.

Disclaimer at one point in time most horror movies used to scare me but during these past 10 years or so I have gotten to the point where it takes a lot to actually leave me feeling scared.
Old 10-27-15, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
Congratulations - although there's no rush: looks like Frankenhooker is a DVD. Panic over!
Yeah but he will need the BD player so he can get a good up-conversion of Frankenhooker.
Old 10-27-15, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Incredibly sweet win, Kabluie!

Originally Posted by CrazyMat
Nice Decorations
Thanks. There's still a few more things I've got to put out soon. I guess you can blame the American Scream guys for creating a monster---Even though that documentary was more for home-made haunts than decorations.

As for the never-ending Frankenhooker talk, it's on-demand on Showtime. Is that how it's discussion started?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.