Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-15, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by Gobear
Does Jurassic World count? It's not horror per se, but it does have giant monsters consuming people.
I think the consensus was "definitely not," but I'd lean towards "...hmm.. not quite."
Old 10-24-15, 08:53 PM

Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
While I've not yet seen Frankenhooker it sound like it's great fun. I keep thinking I'll throw it on a Hamilton order at some point but so far it hasn't happened...
It's on Hulu, I think, if you have that...

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
We're currently watching Teen Wolf but I don't have the heart to tell him it's not a horror film. He selected this from a very long list of age acceptable films I thought he would like (several genres). Unsurprisingly, he's enjoying the film. No... It's not going on my list, wild card or not.
Booo! Don't let the critics get you down, Wild Card it at least...
Old 10-24-15, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
Joking slight exaggeration aside, that type of humor is usually a large miss for me, but perhaps I will try it again. I think my queue is pretty booked for the rest of the month, but maybe on the after midnight into November hours. But if it goes as I expect, I may be grumpy and get all snarky with you all for a few days.
It's so off-the-deep-end in satire and spoof that (I would have thought) it's hard to hate if you have any love of comedy. The mumbling! The rationales! The non sequiturs! The throwaway lines - "SHE'S IN THE BARRR!" - are crazy-brilliant...

Hope you get to it. I'd welcome your thoughts (especially if you still don't care for it).
Old 10-24-15, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
I made my own DVDs of them from the Season Sets isolating these episodes earlier this year for this challenge.

Yeah, I know, I'm kinda' geeky...dedicated...but geeky
That is cool. I've thought about buying those episodes on Amazon or Vudu as they tend to be the ones that I enjoy rewatching the most.
Old 10-24-15, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,077 Likes on 652 Posts

I quite honestly love you all, enough to give Frankenhooker another chance. It's in my queue to watch after I've watched every other film ever made.

Joking slight exaggeration aside, that type of humor is usually a large miss for me, but perhaps I will try it again. I think my queue is pretty booked for the rest of the month, but maybe on the after midnight into November hours. But if it goes as I expect, I may be grumpy and get all snarky with you all for a few days.
Don't get me wrong. It's a terrible movie. I find the lead actor to be overwhelmingly annoying. But some of the lines in the movie are so hilarious. And the exploding hooker scene and the scene with the flying head are just too damn funny.

Lots of boobs and surprisingly decent camera-work (at times) make it worth seeing. Would I own it, probably not. But it is a fun movie to watch with friends.
Old 10-24-15, 09:14 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by exharrison
I bought a dvd several years back that had four of the treehouse of horrors. Did they release more or is this a digital distribution viewing or selecting them from the full season sets?
FXNow has every Simpsons episode for FREE. And they have a playlist with all the Treehouse of Horror episodes grouped together. The app's available on Roku, AppleTV, FireTV, Xbone & 360, iOS devices, and Android.

http://www.fxnetworks.com/fxnow
Old 10-24-15, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
FXNow has every Simpsons episode for FREE. And they have a playlist with all the Treehouse of Horror episodes grouped together. The app's available on Roku, AppleTV, FireTV, Xbone & 360, iOS devices, and Android.

http://www.fxnetworks.com/fxnow
Thanks. I'd try that, but it looks like it is tied to a cable package, which I don't have. I just have slingtv.
Old 10-24-15, 09:36 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by exharrison
Thanks. I'd try that, but it looks like it is tied to a cable package, which I don't have. I just have slingtv.
You're right, it looks like you have to sign-in to get those episodes. But if you have a friend or family with cable, they can probably register for you. It's pretty easy.
Old 10-24-15, 09:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Why the dislike for Jessica?
I think she's an awful actress with no screen presence. I haven't liked her in anything I've seen except Crimson Peak (though she had the occasional bad scene). Looking at the films I've seen, maybe it's because she picks Oscar bait movies and her performances have that 'desperate for an Oscar' air to them.

Also, re: Frankenhooker, I thought it was great. And I have no interest in boobs, so...
Old 10-24-15, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Chad
Sorry, that's an oversight on my part. The "watch whatever" is pre 2014 theme nights when there was no actual theme attached to the day. The intention with the current theme attached is to watch at least one of the movies on the drive-in double features list.
Ah, well I'm counting it as 100% Theme compliant (I did watch both Subsets), since I just watched three movies before I came back and read your response...

Originally Posted by SethDLH
Can I borrow the mortgage payment that is required to get one of the Arrow blus of Hellgate? That's a pricy disc these days!
Whoa, really? I didn't know it was a rarity. I guess I got lucky with that one!
Old 10-24-15, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent

Whoa, really? I didn't know it was a rarity. I guess I got lucky with that one!
Yeah, I think it was limited to 1000 and it goes for over $100 now
Old 10-24-15, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great story, thanks for sharing.

Oddly enough, I gave Breeders a (probable) first time viewing the other day.

Like you said, not very good. Love the 'let's charge into danger with no planning or weapons' part.

I also wonder how they pitched this film to all the actresses. Director:
Spoiler:
"So in the first scene you get brutally raped and mauled, then you spend the rest of the film walking around completely naked. Oh, and you're ok with bathing with other women, right?"
Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
I'm sorry but Breeders is fun bad. You have no soul.
Just to make sure we're all on the same page, I was talking about the 1997 movie titled Breeders. IMDb tells me that it's actually a remake of the 1986 film of the same name...? I'm going to have to track down the original for next year's challenge.
Old 10-24-15, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been in sickbed for the last four days and it looks like the chance to beat my record of 95 entries is blown. I'll get back on the horse tomorrow.
Old 10-24-15, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Yes, one winner for each.
Looks like I will finish those up then to try for a prize.

Originally Posted by mightysparks
I think she's an awful actress with no screen presence. I haven't liked her in anything I've seen except Crimson Peak (though she had the occasional bad scene). Looking at the films I've seen, maybe it's because she picks Oscar bait movies and her performances have that 'desperate for an Oscar' air to them.
You can say that about Bale, Cooper, Lawrence, and a lot of A list actors.

Has anyone seen Pontypool? Just watched it and curious on the thoughts. I know one of the Soska Twins love it.
Old 10-24-15, 11:12 PM

You can say that about Bale, Cooper, Lawrence, and a lot of A list actors.
Yeah, that's why I don't like most of those either I like Bale, but only in certain roles (like American Psycho). His recent output is lame, but unlike the others he does have good screen presence.
Old 10-24-15, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mightysparks
Yeah, that's why I don't like most of those either I like Bale, but only in certain roles (like American Psycho). His recent output is lame, but unlike the others he does have good screen presence.
You are a harsh critic lol.
Old 10-24-15, 11:24 PM

You are a harsh critic lol.
I know
Old 10-25-15, 12:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been busy and also procrastinating. So I haven't gotten any viewings in since last Sunday. Today I'm coming down with a fever, and waited way to long to put on a movie(when I could've had time to watch two or more if I started early enough). So the planned double feature was canceled to just one feature.

So I watched Friday the 13th part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan(1989) since I hadn't seen it in years. It's not a great movie, but it's alright and has it's moments, including a few clever bits of genuine humor. I noticed some good camera work and editing and strange angles scattered throughout. But it's still the ultimate 'what if' film that never was. If only Paramount didn't cheap out on the budget, we might have gotten a kick ass movie.

I was going to watch Evil Dead 2 on blu-ray, but since my family came home and went to bed before the first movie was over. I didn't want to watch a loud movie and rock the house. So I'll save it for another time, then move on to Army of Darkness after since I just got the new Scream Factory release.

Tomorrow, it's looking like I'll be watching the remake of The Fly with a friend. I hadn't seen the movie in years, and it's sort of a traumatizing movie for me since it's so sad, that it takes a lot for me to watch it after having seen it plenty of times in the 90's. I loved the movie, but it's just so tragic, but that's what makes it great.

By the way, Best Buy has both versions of The Fly on blu-ray for $5-$6 and I picked them both up yesterday. It'll be great seeing the original film in full, since I've never watched the entire thing in one sitting yet and had only seen bits throughout.
Old 10-25-15, 01:01 AM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

People don't like Frankenhooker? Wonders never cease.

Here are my subgenre choices for this week's trivia...

Madness & Paranoia - the slow burn psychological stuff can be fun.
Vampire - it seems like at least lately there have been more inventive vampire movies and these can often be more moody.
Possession - often seem more unusual and hallucinatory.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-25-15 at 01:08 AM.
Old 10-25-15, 01:08 AM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Dead Within (2014) on Netflix was surprisingly good.

I agree that Crimson Peak was too predictable; plus
Spoiler:
it seemed like the "red clay" was just there to add some odd scenery but it seemed too far fetched. I kept expecting it to 'go' somewhere but now... like most of the movie it was just there to look good without offering much substance.
Old 10-25-15, 01:11 AM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Has anyone seen Goodnight Mommy? I had heard a lot of good things about this one and it definitely lived up to its reputation. Probably the best FTV of the challenge for me so far!
Old 10-25-15, 01:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With all this talk of Frankenhooker, I decided to watch it. I enjoyed it and found it to be a hilarious and fun movie. I would consider it one of those B Movies that is so bad its good
Old 10-25-15, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Jersey boy wants to play doctor.
Old 10-25-15, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by cwileyy
Has anyone seen Goodnight Mommy? I had heard a lot of good things about this one and it definitely lived up to its reputation. Probably the best FTV of the challenge for me so far!
Never was able to make it out there to watch it. Might find a way to stream it along with Tales of Halloween
Old 10-25-15, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

I'm using a wild card.
Originally Posted by ntnon
I think the consensus was "definitely not," but I'd lean towards "...hmm.. not quite."
I will Wild Card it. I haven't used any yet, now is as good a time as any.

For the the drive-in double feature, I went with this.

I got to crack open my Vincent Price Volume II Blu set for the first movie, and DVD for the second.

Return of the Fly is definitely a step down from the original film, but it is still reasonably entertaining. The fly mask used here looks like it was cast as a solid head piece, so it doesn't look as real as the fly makeup in the first film.

The Alligator People is a B-feature in every way.The story is about a woman looking for her missing husband who had mysteriously recovered from a plane crash without a scratch. The wife tracks hims down to a clinic in a Louisiana bayou where sinister research has been performed and the title tells the rest.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.