Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-15, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts
Re: i keed, i keed!

Originally Posted by Trevor
I used to love GoldenWheels. Then he sent me Frankenhooker.....
Ha!

Originally Posted by SethDLH
For the first time since I've started taking part in the challenge (I believe this is my 7th year) it looks like 100 might not happen. This is upsetting to me.
I know this feeling, this is my 6th year and I have been losing my jump on the season a little each day. I am even now on the formula (100/31 * day of the month) but not sure if I am going to be able to maintain 3+ movies a day for the next 7 days...

Last edited by SterlingBen; 10-24-15 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-24-15, 02:10 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Watch Brain Damage after Basket Case.
And maybe even Frankenhooker before BC2&3 as well...
I'm going in release order, I've seen all many times except Basket Case 3 and Bad Biology - others have only seen Basket Case or none.

Wrong! There is never a time or reason to watch Frankenhooker.
come on, Frankenhooker is so fun, and of course "If you see one movie this year, it should be Frankenhooker." - Bill Murray
Old 10-24-15, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Maybe it's been I went into it with low expectations, but I just had a surprisingly good first time view in Knights of Badassdom, on Netflix.
I enjoyed it too for this challenge. It's a minor movie, to be sure. But the main cast (including Ryan Kwanton, Summer Glau, and Peter Dinklage) are fun to watch.

Then again, I liked WolfCop and Frankenhooker so clearly my opinion is not one to be trusted
Old 10-24-15, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

You mean there is never a time or reason to NOT watch Frankenhooker
Old 10-24-15, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
I watched the Arrow Video Blu-ray Disc of Hellgate last night. I really like that movie, not entirely sure why. Maybe because it crosses a lot of horror subgenres so I'm always entertained.

Anyway, if you've seen the DVD of Hellgate then you know what Arrow had to deal with. And they did a fantastic job. Still a little rough here and there but a truly great re-master. I highly recommend the BD.
Can I borrow the mortgage payment that is required to get one of the Arrow blus of Hellgate? That's a pricy disc these days!
Old 10-24-15, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

Incorrect sir! I just finished watching it earlier and the exploding hooker scene is alone worth the price of admission.
Old 10-24-15, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by exharrison
With the deciding factor being the watcher, I think finding it listed as horror in RT as well as the viewer feeling like it fits, it should be enough. Also, as another member pointed it out TMDB has horror as one of its keywords for whatever it is worth. When I asked earlier this month, I was planning on watching it and then didn't see horror on IMDB or AllMovies. If anyone objected, I would wildcard it, but most seemed to think it fit well enough. At this point, the public opinion seems to support it and I don't think anyone should be concerned about counting it.
Well, it was early in the month when I watched it (the 4th), and there hadn't been much talk about the movie then (Netflix had it listed as "Horror"" and it had been in the queue for awhile, so I watched it). I added the *Wildcard* after someone pointed out that it wasn't listed as "Horror" on IMDb or allmovie. Plus, as I said before, we each get 3 wildcards, and what else am I going to use them for?
Old 10-24-15, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Just got back from the theater and can heartily recommend Crimson Peak, a robust stew of breathy dialogue and Gothic style. I won't say much about it, except that it furthers my love for Jessica Chastain.
Old 10-24-15, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm visiting my grandparents for the weekend to celebrate Nana's birthday. Yesterday, we did watch Inherit the Wind but didn't get to any horror films. After everyone else went to bed, I settled down to watch the File 6 episodes of the anime Ghost Hunt. This is my first time to watch the series, and I'm enjoying it. The situations are often scary and occasionally tragic.

Unfortunately, a lot of the characters are very thin. The minor characters have a vocation and a single trait, and I was hoping after File 1 that they would be fleshed out like the minor characters of Fullmetal Alchemist or Wolf's Rain. That said, I like the characters; I just want them to be deeper.
Old 10-24-15, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

...apart from all day every day! It's hilarious fun.

"...

....d'you wanna sandwich?"

Last edited by ntnon; 10-24-15 at 04:55 PM.
Old 10-24-15, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

I hate to dogpile on Trevor, but I love Frankenhooker as well.
Old 10-24-15, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by mightysparks
I saw Crimson Peak on the weekend and it's been my favourite viewing of the challenge so far. I agree that it's predictable but I never thought it was trying not to be. It seemed to be obviously heavily implying or outright saying certain things early on so that the audience was well aware of them, but the point of it was to watch Edith discover it for herself. It didn't all work for me (eg the awful foreshadowing at the beginning), but the set design and atmosphere helped elevate some of the poorer elements, and I actually quite liked the characters and thought the acting was mostly good (surprising because I hate Jessica Chastain and Mia Wasikowska). More subtlety may have been nice, but then it might have changed the whole mood of the film.
Why the dislike for Jessica?

Originally Posted by CrazyMat
Yeah the Part with the
Spoiler:
Stove strapped to her back
I don't recall seeing anything quite like that in any other zombie movie
That was pretty funny. I kept skipping this when it got released when I was at Walmart looking for movies to buy as I don't like the parents, but this was surprisingly decent. I do like the guy from Chronicle as well the two love interests.
Old 10-24-15, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Ok, about to attempt every single Simpsons Treehouse of Horror episodes in a row.
Cover me, I'm going in!
Old 10-24-15, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Add me to the love Frankenhooker camp.
Old 10-24-15, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
Ok, about to attempt every single Simpsons Treehouse of Horror episodes in a row.
Cover me, I'm going in!
Don't forget to watch the one tomorrow night.
Old 10-24-15, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So how does one get a chance to win a prize at the end? Just by doing the challenge or is there prizes for watching the subset list, hitting 100, watching the theme of the day, doing the check list, etc?
Old 10-24-15, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Does Jurassic World count? It's not horror per se, but it does have giant monsters consuming people.
Old 10-24-15, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't forget to watch the one tomorrow night.
Yes, if I have planned all this right I will be watching last season just before this season begins.
Old 10-24-15, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b
So how does one get a chance to win a prize at the end? Just by doing the challenge or is there prizes for watching the subset list, hitting 100, watching the theme of the day, doing the check list, etc?
Yeah, the bulk of it's randomly drawn with the usual categories (everyone, 50 & up, 100 & up, etc.). Also, 'best list', and completing the optional lists.

But it's all dependent on Synapse. Still haven't received anything from them, and still waiting on a response to my last email. It's always something.

Originally Posted by Gobear
Does Jurassic World count? It's not horror per se, but it does have giant monsters consuming people.
I'm using a wild card.

Cover me, I'm going in!
Sounds like fun ...until you get to the later seasons that don't have the same Halloween vibe. They just feel off somehow.
Old 10-24-15, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Chad
Yeah, the bulk of it's randomly drawn with the usual categories (everyone, 50 & up, 100 & up, etc.). Also, 'best list', and completing the optional lists.

But it's all dependent on Synapse. Still haven't received anything from them, and still waiting on a response to my last email. It's always something.
Is there a separate drawing for each optional list or if you do one of the three, you get thrown into the drawing? This will decide what I watch this upcoming week.
Old 10-24-15, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

While I've not yet seen Frankenhooker it sound like it's great fun. I keep thinking I'll throw it on a Hamilton order at some point but so far it hasn't happened...
Originally Posted by shadokitty
Maybe it's been I went into it with low expectations, but I just had a surprisingly good first time view in Knights of Badassdom, on Netflix.
Well... I'm with you. I picked up a copy over the summer, in spite of the rather negative reviews, and thought it was fairly good. Yeah, somewhat predictable but still lots of fun.

My oldest grandson (age 12) spent the night last night and we've watched a few horror films. He knows October is "horror month" for me and was excited to join in the fun! Today he started with a couple of first time viewings: The Fly (1958), which he enjoyed, followed byKing Kong (1933). When Kong finished I asked him what he thought. He said: "You want my honest opinion?" - "Of course!" "Well... I liked it better then Godzilla which used to be my favorite film until I saw this!" Made me proud!

We're currently watching Teen Wolf but I don't have the heart to tell him it's not a horror film. He selected this from a very long list of age acceptable films I thought he would like (several genres). Unsurprisingly, he's enjoying the film. No... It's not going on my list, wild card or not.

**EDIT**
Good kid! With about a half hour left in Teen Wolf he turned to me and said "I don't see how this qualifies as Horror, Paw." I assured him it's not. He still wants to watch Teen Wolf Too though...

Last edited by BobO'Link; 10-24-15 at 08:53 PM.
Old 10-24-15, 08:16 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

I quite honestly love you all, enough to give Frankenhooker another chance. It's in my queue to watch after I've watched every other film ever made.

Joking slight exaggeration aside, that type of humor is usually a large miss for me, but perhaps I will try it again. I think my queue is pretty booked for the rest of the month, but maybe on the after midnight into November hours. But if it goes as I expect, I may be grumpy and get all snarky with you all for a few days.
Old 10-24-15, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Yes, if I have planned all this right I will be watching last season just before this season begins.
I bought a dvd several years back that had four of the treehouse of horrors. Did they release more or is this a digital distribution viewing or selecting them from the full season sets?
Old 10-24-15, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Is there a separate drawing for each optional list or if you do one of the three, you get thrown into the drawing? This will decide what I watch this upcoming week.
Yes, one winner for each.
Old 10-24-15, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I bought a dvd several years back that had four of the treehouse of horrors. Did they release more or is this a digital distribution viewing or selecting them from the full season sets?
I made my own DVDs of them from the Season Sets isolating these episodes earlier this year for this challenge.

Yeah, I know, I'm kinda' geeky...dedicated...but geeky

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.