Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Old 10-22-15, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

I am chastised
Old 10-22-15, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

I went with:
Comedy Horror - Personally I've always loved these the best. Its easy to get it wrong, but when it is done right, I almost never get tired of them. Plus, they are generally pretty agreeable with my wife and others that I like to movie watch with.

Monster Horror - I've always liked the concept of werewolves. And I've always enjoyed vampire movies and I've loved zombie movies for about a decade ever since Dawn of the Dead and Shaun of the Dead helped me through some depression. Its always fun to me because they are so separated from what we see from day to day(even if they have a lot of real world themes). This separation from real world as opposed to serial killers and psychological also makes it easier to watch with my wife. She specifically hates home invasion which I enjoy.

Sci-Fi Horror - I've loved Science Fiction since I first saw Return of the Jedi as an 11 year old. I've been enamored with the genre since and love the combination with Horror.

Its amazing how much being married for such a short time has changed what I prefer to watch.
Old 10-22-15, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Since we're sharing, here's my sub-genera list:

1) Devil/Demon/Hell: To me, there's something really interesting watching people tempt fate while trying to control/summon a demon, etc. They are trying to control something that most likely can't be controlled.
2) Zombies: I love the genera and all the possibilities it holds for good stories. There is something truly creepy about the dearly departed walking among the living.
3) Comedy Horror: The correct balance can really heighten the enjoyment for me. Sometimes I really need a little bit of humor to take the edge off.

I specifically try to avoid 'home invasion', or else my significant other would never let me sleep. Horror is best when it's enjoyed with others!
Old 10-22-15, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Pre-watch is when you put it on your list but don't count it and number it. So you don't get credit for it, but you still list it.
Thinking of a pre comedy challenge myself, and listing under what are you watching.

Also, since we're sharing, my picks were:

Slasher: Always loved the F13 and Halloween movies. I grew up on them.

Werewolf subgenre: Always loved werewolf, and other werecreature movies, like Cat People.

Giant Monster: Huge kaiju and other giant monster fan.

An honorable mention that didn't get picked would be natural monsters.
Old 10-22-15, 11:06 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
Also, mad scientist and Jaws 19.
Originally Posted by ntnon
Also:
  • Skulking around a graveyard at night in Part II.
  • Post-apocalyptic-esque retro-"future" in Part II.
  • Bullied's revenge in Parts I & II.
Clutching at straws, but there are straws to clutch at.

I imagine most challenges should allow super-wildcard entries for actually important* anniversary dates for notable films, too.

*This, for example, seems "important" and is a specific day, month and year. "Just" an anniversary doesn't necessarily really cut it, but unique cases like BttF seem fair game.
Nice tries, but no.

And you forgot a major theme of incest, and a fairly intense near-rape.

Actually, with all that stuff and more cursing than I remember, those first two films were more 'grown-up' than I remembered.

And oddly, while I remembered every scene of the first, having probably watched it a dozen times or more over the years, I barely remembered part two. It's possible that last night was my second ever viewing, the first being in theaters. And I'm almost positive I never saw part 3.
Old 10-22-15, 11:10 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts

My three votes for the favorite subgenres were, iirc
  1. Monster (giant) - Kaiju brought me into horror as a kid
  2. Sci-Fi/Horror - films like Alien, The Thing, and Lifeforce
  3. Horror/Comedy - although im pretty hard to please when it comes to comedy
Originally Posted by coyoteblue
I am chastised
?
Old 10-22-15, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To quiet all this BttF II talk...

In accordance with the Rules: "You're welcome to include non-genre titles viewed during the month in your list, but please keep them separate from your qualifying entries and don't number them."
Old 10-22-15, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 648 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by mightysparks
Also Jeepers Creepers rules
Don't get me wrong... It was a fun film, just not as scary as I expected going in. Certainly not "the scariest opening sequence of any horror picture in recent memory" (Los Angeles times review - was this written by a 20 year old? If so I see it being accurate but not coming a 30-40ish critic) but still a nice old-school type horror film, the type I prefer. That I have decades of horror films under my belt makes it harder for me to watch newer product as objectively as might someone in the 20-30ish age bracket (the teacher who inadvertently recommended the film to me is ~25). With few exceptions I felt Jeepers Creepers was essentially a amalgamation of many prior horror films. Like most "modern" horror films it suffers from including too many tropes to be truly original and as effective as it might have been. I was especially let down by the final act.

So... that sounds rather negative but it's not intended to be such. I truly enjoyed the film and recommend a viewing for any who've never seen it. I've read the sequel is superior and plan to watch it sometime over the next few days.
Old 10-22-15, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Don't get me wrong... It was a fun film, just not as scary as I expected going in. Certainly not "the scariest opening sequence of any horror picture in recent memory" (Los Angeles times review - was this written by a 20 year old? If so I see it being accurate but not coming a 30-40ish critic) but still a nice old-school type horror film, the type I prefer. That I have decades of horror films under my belt makes it harder for me to watch newer product as objectively as might someone in the 20-30ish age bracket (the teacher who inadvertently recommended the film to me is ~25). With few exceptions I felt Jeepers Creepers was essentially a amalgamation of many prior horror films. Like most "modern" horror films it suffers from including too many tropes to be truly original and as effective as it might have been. I was especially let down by the final act.

So... that sounds rather negative but it's not intended to be such. I truly enjoyed the film and recommend a viewing for any who've never seen it. I've read the sequel is superior and plan to watch it sometime over the next few days.
I think I was 11/12 when I saw the first one and I remember thinking it was creepy, but not scary, but I loved it. I saw the sequel at the cinema (think I was 12) and thought it was really stupid. I've not seen it since then though, so who knows.
Old 10-22-15, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For today's theme I found Curtains on YouTube, cleverly disguised with an inserted #1.

Curtains on YT
Old 10-22-15, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

What I like most about Jeepers Creepers is how it balances in subtle humor to a serious horror film.
Old 10-22-15, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 224 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobear
Speaking of sad, whoever chose the clips in Terror in the Aisles was unclear on the concept of "horror movie". I can stretch a point on a few of the films, like Marathon Man because the interrogation by drill is pretty damn horrific, but why add scenes from Midnight Express and the oddly obscure Stallone flick Nighthawks? Those are action movies, not horror films.
I figured that Nighthawks was in there because, at the time, a) Stallone was one of Hollywood's biggest stars, and b) Universal already owned the film, so it probably cost nothing to use clips from it. I'm actually kind of surprised that the film wasn't wall-to-wall Universal clips.

I actually paid to see this when it came out in 1984, and I still have the one-sheet poster somewhere. Those decrying it for containing spoilers are overreacting a bit, unless they're all completely new to horror films. I had seen maybe half of the movies it showed clips from when I first saw it, and I have never in the intervening 31 years ever thought when watching a movie, "Man, I wish this hadn't been spoiled by Terror in the Aisles!" With the sheer number of different clips and the lack of context for them, you'll forget what you've seen in it by next week.
Old 10-22-15, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's not popular but Jeepers Creepers always makes me remember it, I saw Dark Harvest years ago and thought it was alright years. Then I watched the second one. Not what I was expecting.

Has anyone seen The Ice House?

If you've ever wished for a proto-slasher that merged the aesthetics of a Jiffy Lube with a WWF Royal Rumble, THIS IS YOUR MOVIE! Twin goons David and Robert Story star as twin goons Rick (a sex killer who hides his victims in The Ice House!) and Fred (a loose cannon cop!) in THE ICE HOUSE -- a plotless, psychedelic orgy of death, sex, and beer. And when we say "plotless," we mean it. This is basically eighty minutes of the Story brothers beating people up, having sex, and hanging out at an erotique dance club called The Magic Mushroom. There's also a fat guy who wears plaid swim trunks while a poodle sleeps on his stomach. What more could you want?! THE ICE HOUSE is pure wonder. And pure stupid. And pure exploitation magic. This is the kind of movie that continues to inspire our swan dives into the vast ocean of Something Weird. And not just because it's from the director of THE BILLION DOLLAR HOBO.
Old 10-22-15, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Unimportant trivia time: Sleepwalkers is where the 'sparks' part of my name came from.
I watched Sleepwalkers this morning and I thought I had missed 'sparks' until I saw the credits -- mighty Sparks indeed.

I finally hit 50 with a vampirathon on Tuesday. Taking this week off certainly helped. Now it's back to watching theme night flicks and finishing the checklist while throwing a few more FTVs into the mix.
Old 10-22-15, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
Has anyone seen The Ice House?
I kind of thought I had (either during an October or April challenge), but that description didn't ring any bells. I must've been planning to watch it and never got around to it.
Old 10-22-15, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link

I think the positive reception to Jeepers Creepers when it was new was a bit of an overreaction because of the timing of the horror genre as a whole. I'm sure some will disagree ... but as a whole the decade of the 90s wasn't too good for horror (at least until the late 90s). So when solid well-made horror movies starting coming out regularly, for a while people were overrating them a bit.

People think Jeepers Creepers 2 is better than the first? I don't think that's standard opinion. Unless lots of shots of shirtless teenage boys is your thing. And knowing the personal life of the director, that just added an unwelcome "ick factor" to the movie (and not in a good "horror ick" way).
Old 10-22-15, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 648 Likes on 470 Posts

I think I was 11/12 when I saw the first one and I remember thinking it was creepy, but not scary, but I loved it. I saw the sequel at the cinema (think I was 12) and thought it was really stupid. I've not seen it since then though, so who knows.
My grandson just turned 12 and I'm sure he'd love it. I think it would be just scary enough to satisfy him but not hard-core enough to make his mom (my daughter) reconsider letting me chose the films he's allowed to watch.
Originally Posted by Undeadcow
What I like most about Jeepers Creepers is how it balances in subtle humor to a serious horror film.
That was quite possibly the best parts of the film, almost always coming at *just* the right time.
Originally Posted by brainee
I think the positive reception to Jeepers Creepers when it was new was a bit of an overreaction because of the timing of the horror genre as a whole. I'm sure some will disagree ... but as a whole the decade of the 90s wasn't too good for horror (at least until the late 90s). So when solid well-made horror movies starting coming out regularly, for a while people were overrating them a bit.
I can see that. I wasn't very tuned into the horror genre in the 90s having written it off years before.
Originally Posted by brainee
People think Jeepers Creepers 2 is better than the first? I don't think that's standard opinion. Unless lots of shots of shirtless teenage boys is your thing. And knowing the personal life of the director, that just added an unwelcome "ick factor" to the movie (and not in a good "horror ick" way).
That's solely based on a few reviews I read of both films - not necessarily a general consensus (I tend to use DVDTalk, DVD Verdict, Moria, and DVD Drive-in as "trusted" sources). From those same reviews I'm under the impression the sequel is more of a generic teen slasher horror film. As such I'm not going in with higher expectations.
Old 10-22-15, 04:41 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

I'll share my answers also:

#1. Monsters (Virus) There is nothing more enjoyable than a good virus movie. I consider most zombie movies to fall into this category, but would still prefer it if they didn't.

#2. Monster (Giant Monsters) Not exactly my favorite anymore, but I loved the Godzillas when I was growing up and still love the new ones when they come out.

#3. Monsters (Classical and Mythological) What can I say, I'm 54 years old lol. I grew up watching the classical monsters on tv when I was a kid and so they remain one of my favorites.

#4. Not a category, but love Hammer/Amicus films to death. Nobody does it better!
Old 10-22-15, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So 10 to Midnight feels like the Death Bed of slasher movies. Mixed in with a cop drama. By far the weirdest movie I've seen this month. I'm not sure I can even recommend it; it's just too far out there.

In unrelated news, tonight is the last night to see the Orionid meteor shower. I watched the 1988 The Blob in "its" honor.
Old 10-22-15, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by SethDLH
How has it taken me this long to see Mad Monster Party?
Watched it for the first time this challenge as well. Very much enjoyed it and shocked at how much adult jokes are in it for a kids animation film.
Old 10-22-15, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,012 Likes on 837 Posts

Just did a Sleepaway Camp double feature and preferred the second for the clearer villain and added boobage.
Old 10-22-15, 05:50 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

just finished Bloody Knuckles , probably my favorite newer horror film discovery of this challenge, highly recommended!
Old 10-22-15, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

I needed a lighthearted comedic horror romp this morning and Rockula hit the spot. Dean Cameron plus Cannon equals good dumb fun.
Old 10-22-15, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
Has anybody else here seen Detention (2011)? (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1701990/)

If not, I'm highly recommending it as a watch. I

watched it last night and still thinking about it and will rewatch again soon because I'm sure I missed a whole bunch of things. It's not going to be for everybody but I thought it was pretty amazing and haven't really seen anything like it in the genre. It's got:

Spoiler:

Time travel
Slashers
Horror references ala Scream
Bear sex
Mascot abuse
Mutations
Awesome music
Ron Jeremy
Hot vintage overalls!

I admit to a being a bit biased due to one of the eras this flick focuses on (I was a teen then myself) but loved the frenetic editing and movie references and how all over the place this flick was. It's like Scott Pilgrim mixed with MTV editing and modern vs 90s.

Anyway, check it out. Interested in what others think.
Detention is among the 2 or 3 worst films I've watched during my 6 or 7 years in the challenge.
Old 10-22-15, 06:43 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by SethDLH
How has it taken me this long to see Mad Monster Party?
its an easy one to overlook. i just finished watching house of the long shadows. what a great moment when chrisopher lee enters the room for the first time with cushing, price and john carradine all in the same room!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.